Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 19, 2012 9:24 PM
Feb 2010
I thought it was plain bad at first, but after some research the story and characters started making more sense to me. Also, episode 3 being one of Kirito's defining moments for me.

Someone said the anime lacks the ability to describe feelings. Anime can only express and expressions can be taken many ways.

ALso for those that feel the show is all about Kirito a little too much, the LN is actually from Kirito's POV not a third person, it reads "I said..." not "Kirito said...", so the reader is constantly aware of Kirito's thoughts and feelings.
iCardsAug 19, 2012 9:30 PM
Aug 19, 2012 9:28 PM

Mar 2009
Karhu said:
Shibuza said:
Sword Ass online nuff said.

I dropped Hype Ass Online ages ago but this made me want to pick it up again.

Man, I love the douji... I mean, the anime.

But the anime...

Uberchu said:
Did you know that, by the consensus of MAL, SAO is a better anime than Higurashi and Bakemonogatari? And I can't take you seriously after you wrote "connect" as "concert."

^
This. But only the part about Bakemonogatari, the anime and the novel. Higurashi could have been a lot better.

I know it can be just opinions, but I can't get how most of the top anime are there and with that scores, I know that even I troll voted 10 in shows like Nanoha and TTGL, but man, Sword Art Online being in the top 60 while it was only at 3 episodes sure was dumb. Even now it still dumb. Props to Aria the Origination for being in the top 30 without even 20000 viewers/votes.
Aug 19, 2012 10:17 PM

Sep 2010
People on this site rate based mostly on what they liked and less on objective matters. So it would be wrong to say that a higher ranked show is better than a lower ranked show just because of their positions.

Aug 19, 2012 10:47 PM

Dec 2009
If your brain is the good natured analyze type.
Try thinking it this way...

LOOK DEEP INTO THE STORY AND ITS REALITY FEEL!
Aug 19, 2012 10:59 PM

Feb 2011
The reason the plot hasn't gotten anywhere yet is because their airing the side stories right now, also in chronological order. So if you say it's gotten worse since the first ep, then you should want to know that they haven't gotten to the main plot yet, but there almost there. The main plot starts 2 years after the first episode, so don't go around b*tching about how SAO is overacted, BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE MAIN PLOT YET!
【=◈︿◈=】セックス大好き... What can I say? 【=◈︿◈=】
Aug 19, 2012 11:28 PM

Jun 2012
newronnie123 said:
The reason the plot hasn't gotten anywhere yet is because their airing the side stories right now, also in chronological order. So if you say it's gotten worse since the first ep, then you should want to know that they haven't gotten to the main plot yet, but there almost there. The main plot starts 2 years after the first episode, so don't go around b*tching about how SAO is overacted, BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE MAIN PLOT YET!

Yes, we know. We've known for a really, really long time. It's still no excuse for rushed storytelling and terrible pacing. Hell, I would've been satisfied with Haruhi Suzumiya style out-of-order storytelling.

ALso, 1/3 of Sword Art Online is side story hell. At this point (as I've said in another thread), SAO would have to have Fate/Zero level storytelling to deserve the rating's its currently rating. And considering the complaints about a Gary Stu...
Aug 20, 2012 12:30 AM

Feb 2011
Uberchu said:
newronnie123 said:

Yes, we know. We've known for a really, really long time. It's still no excuse for rushed storytelling and terrible pacing. Hell, I would've been satisfied with Haruhi Suzumiya style out-of-order storytelling.

ALso, 1/3 of Sword Art Online is side story hell. At this point (as I've said in another thread), SAO would have to have Fate/Zero level storytelling to deserve the rating's its currently rating. And considering the complaints about a Gary Stu...

We'll just have to hope it gets better during the main plot.
【=◈︿◈=】セックス大好き... What can I say? 【=◈︿◈=】
Aug 20, 2012 4:18 AM

Apr 2011
SAO would have to have Fate/Zero level storytelling to deserve the rating's its currently rating.

I find this an impossibility right now. The side-story nonsense has left a too big bad first impression and introduction to the SaO universe. F/Z had an amazing introduction which sucked you in from the start (like the first episode of SaO) and continued to deliver each episode. Too bad SaO didn't...
Aug 20, 2012 10:26 AM

Mar 2012
Uberchu said:

Yes because everyone knows how F/Z has an amazing story.
End Zionazism
Aug 20, 2012 10:31 AM

Mar 2012
Vforvendetta said:

I see, these are legit complaints, agree ... I will say no more =).

Muhahahahaha ;) :P
End Zionazism
Aug 20, 2012 11:34 AM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Ok so I did some searching and it did say that a preview was aired at a Tokyo convention on Jun 24th. However those screenshots ARE taken before the show officially aired on July 7th. Assuming that everyone who rated watched the pre-airing in Tokyo then my point that the people who rated it didn't watch the show fails. However the second picture still supports the point that the show is overrated because the rating managed to climb to #31 when only 1 or 2 episodes are out.

Again I'd like to emphasize on your misconception that overrated automatically means shit. Gintama and Steins;Gate are overrated but they are by no means utter shit.

i never said overrated means shit

all i was trying to say was that your point about it being overrated before it aired is completely and utterly false, i don't even know why you spent so much time trying to prove your point when it was false from the beginning

BloodRequiem said:
It was ranked #44 before it even fucking aired.

kamikaze_1996 said:
your wrong
Aug 20, 2012 11:38 AM
Feb 2009
it is alright. the first 2 episodes did amaze me but the next episodes are meeeh. and, it's said that every floor is difficult and all, but suddenly they're already passed 50ish floor in a few episodes. well that's... lame :/
Aug 20, 2012 2:23 PM
Mar 2012
it was ranked 41 with only 2episodes, clearly something is amiss
Aug 20, 2012 3:01 PM
Mar 2012
Shaduge said:

Clearly, people were biased on this anime, the first episode was good, so you can't say anything on that (if you do I'll just opinion-block you.) and the second was ok, but seriously just stop the arguing about how it is now and wait till the anime is finished, then the "real"ratings will come and a fair score will be formed, no use in discussing about how people rate when they are biased.
Aug 20, 2012 3:28 PM

Jun 2012
Karpman said:
Shaduge said:

Clearly, people were biased on this anime, the first episode was good, so you can't say anything on that (if you do I'll just opinion-block you.) and the second was ok, but seriously just stop the arguing about how it is now and wait till the anime is finished, then the "real"ratings will come and a fair score will be formed, no use in discussing about how people rate when they are biased.

The problem is that it keeps seeping into other discussions (I once went to the anime blog Random Curiosity. One writer said Tari Tari was his favorite Summer 2012 anime. Then some guy went and brought up Sword Art Online was his favorite. It' s worse once you consider the Favorite Summer 2012 anime thread in the forums and everyone put SAO).

We're just annoyed about too much hype and bringing it back down to "rightful" levels. Even now there are still people incessantly raving about how awesome it is. On another note, were there many threads complaining about how overhyped Guilty Crown was?
Aug 20, 2012 3:32 PM

Mar 2012
This thread is overrated.
Aug 20, 2012 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
Kissed said:
This thread is overrated.

You're overrated :(
End Zionazism
Aug 20, 2012 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
Overrated is an overrated word.
Aug 20, 2012 4:00 PM

Mar 2012
MAL is overrated

inb4ban
End Zionazism
Aug 20, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2012
Kirito is an obnoxious overpowered angsty Gary Stu self-insert for the author, who was 15 when he started writing it. He wears an edgy black cloak and is the only one in the game that can use a special skill. He is so perfect that he can predict a bullet's path by looking at the shooter's eyes, and then SLICE IT IN HALF. Asuna is his perfect pure glop glop waifu who is the second best player in the game even though she's never played one before. Kirito meets tons of females despite there supposedly being very few in the game. And all of them become one-dimensional eye candy for his harem.

The pacing is abysmal. Am I to believe they got to floor 74 in the second chapter of the LNs (even if we disregard the LNs, the episodes have barely any continuity)? Am I to feel sad for a character that had 10 minutes of screentime, next to no personality, and then kicked the bucket in the most fanfiction-esque death? "Thank you"? Seriously? She didn't even do anything to enhance the plot.

The backgrounds are beautiful and the music is nice, but the animation in the battles are close to slideshow-level. Every character under the age of 20 has the same face.

I really want to drop it but I'm too invested to stop now. It's too fun to hate on. All that CRAWLING.
Aug 20, 2012 5:02 PM

Feb 2010
You have to be blind to not see how overrated is this, seriously.
Aug 20, 2012 5:06 PM

Apr 2011
Agreed.
Let's hope the pacing picks up!
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Aug 20, 2012 6:33 PM

Jul 2011
i think its slightly overrated because so many people voted on the first episode without even waiting for the halfway mark

however people have been adjusting their ratings accordingly and the score has balanced out now so i don't know if its fair calling it overrated now

its definitely arguable

tbh i could care less if it was overrated or not and as mentioned before overrated doesn't mean its bad and SAO is definitely better than most of the shit ive seen this summer, the only shows (that i think) that can compare are Oda Nobuna and ive also heard about kokoro connect, those two shows are slowly but surely climbing up
Aug 20, 2012 6:39 PM

Jul 2012
KurouKuriko said:
Kirito is an obnoxious overpowered angsty Gary Stu self-insert for the author, who was 15 when he started writing it. He wears an edgy black cloak and is the only one in the game that can use a special skill. He is so perfect that he can predict a bullet's path by looking at the shooter's eyes, and then SLICE IT IN HALF. Asuna is his perfect pure glop glop waifu who is the second best player in the game even though she's never played one before. Kirito meets tons of females despite there supposedly being very few in the game. And all of them become one-dimensional eye candy for his harem.

The pacing is abysmal. Am I to believe they got to floor 74 in the second chapter of the LNs (even if we disregard the LNs, the episodes have barely any continuity)? Am I to feel sad for a character that had 10 minutes of screentime, next to no personality, and then kicked the bucket in the most fanfiction-esque death? "Thank you"? Seriously? She didn't even do anything to enhance the plot.

The backgrounds are beautiful and the music is nice, but the animation in the battles are close to slideshow-level. Every character under the age of 20 has the same face.

I really want to drop it but I'm too invested to stop now. It's too fun to hate on. All that CRAWLING.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This person speaks the truth.
Aug 20, 2012 6:45 PM

Jun 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
however people have been adjusting their ratings accordingly and the score has balanced out now so i don't know if its fair calling it overrated now

I honestly wouldn't say 8.60 is "balanced." If it were only me rating SAO, the score would be 7 or 8 at best. And all things considered, even Tari Tari has a better story yet no one seems to hype that up. It seems all you need to do to make a "great" anime these days is to stuff a bishie Gary Stuand add a harem (ok went on a tangent here).
Aug 20, 2012 6:48 PM

Aug 2012
This thread is so fucking retarded. Its basically people repeating themselves over and over again. STFU everyone know sword ass online sucks balls.
Aug 20, 2012 7:30 PM

Apr 2010
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

I honestly wouldn't say 8.60 is "balanced." If it were only me rating SAO, the score would be 7 or 8 at best. And all things considered, even Tari Tari has a better story yet no one seems to hype that up. It seems all you need to do to make a "great" anime these days is to stuff a bishie Gary Stuand add a harem (ok went on a tangent here).

I still don't get why it matters so much that a series is hyped?

Again, lolmalrating. Why do people keep bringing up ratings that barely reflect anything... I swear, this rating system brings more trouble than anything else.
Aug 20, 2012 7:35 PM

Dec 2010
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Again, lolmalrating. Why do people keep bringing up ratings that barely reflect anything... I swear, this rating system brings more trouble than anything else.

I assume it's because people like to pick out anime that are higher rated vs anime with lower ratings, and it pisses lots of people off when they believe that a highly rated show shouldn't be so highly rated.
Aug 20, 2012 7:42 PM

Apr 2010
epicscreator said:
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

I assume it's because people like to pick out anime that are higher rated vs anime with lower ratings, and it pisses lots of people off when they believe that a highly rated show shouldn't be so highly rated.

I kind of get what you mean, but I still don't get why people get so pissed off about it. It's not like the rankings were objective or anything lulz.

There isn't anything like true objectivity regarding rankings like MAL rankings, anyway.
Aug 20, 2012 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
epicscreator said:
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

People need to realize that even if the ratings on MAL are completely fucked up and that a lot of people don't/cant take them seriously, there are still a good number of people who use the MAL ratings to choose their anime. Just because they're messed up doesn't make it justifiable for anything to hit the top charts.

Exactly. When a series is overhyped, you end up getting expectations. When your expectations aren't met, then you end up more disappointed then you would've normally been if you were prepared for it to be, let's say, a slightly average take on a boy trapped in an MMPORG world.

But the problem here is that people have hyped up SAO to levels that are far past it's usual standard. So obviously when certain people watch it they'll be more upset then they would've been had they known it wasn't all too spectacular.
Aug 20, 2012 7:49 PM

Apr 2010
ihateeveryone said:
epicscreator said:
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

People need to realize that even if the ratings on MAL are completely fucked up and that a lot of people don't/cant take them seriously, there are still a good number of people who use the MAL ratings to choose their anime. Just because they're messed up doesn't make it justifiable for anything to hit the top charts.

Exactly. When a series is overhyped, you end up getting expectations. When your expectations aren't met, then you end up more disappointed then you would've normally been if you were prepared for it to be, let's say, a slightly average take on a boy trapped in an MMPORG world.

But the problem here is that people have hyped up SAO to levels that are far past it's usual standard. So obviously when certain people watch it they'll be more upset then they would've been had they known it wasn't all too spectacular.

I guess so, but I still don't see what ratings/rankings have to do with this.

And I don't get why this thread exists, there's no point to it. Unnecessary debates and potential flamebait. ( ¬‿¬)
Aug 20, 2012 8:21 PM

Jul 2011
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

im not gonna bother going into detail as to why kirito isn't a gary stu and that SAO isn't a harem series, i don't want to ruin the show for you

if it was just as simple as that then it would be ranked much, much lower, campione is a good example of this, even though it had a good LN fanbase, shitty anime was shitty and fell accordingly

also when i meant balanced, i also meant stable, it doesn't seem to be decreasing as much as before and has stopped

another thing is, is that our opinion doesn't matter, although you say it deserves a 7-8, the majority believe its a 9-10 regardless of what we say

i for one believe its an 8.25/10 so far, but im not gonna rate it until i see how good they animate the mainstory which essentially contains all the good parts

if they screw that up i will officially turn into a hater and start dissing the anime, i will find every plothole, mistake, problem and bash the anime with it on this forum

if this anime still remains in the top 100 after it screws up the mainstory, i personally will make sure it decreases as much as possible

if people think im a fanboy who protects this show then their wrong, i would be lying if i said i love this show
Aug 20, 2012 8:25 PM

Mar 2012
If you don't stop this crossed-out word crap I'll go blind
End Zionazism
Aug 20, 2012 8:28 PM

Aug 2011
It really doesn't do anything to help my poor impression of SAO that there's been absolutely no character development, but I'm going to keep faith and hope that the real story will prove to be decent.
Aug 20, 2012 8:37 PM

Jun 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
im not gonna bother going into detail as to why kirito isn't a gary stu and that SAO isn't a harem series, i don't want to ruin the show for you

Well, the side stories certainly make it seem like he is (excluding episode 3, it seems like he's just cruising his way through). We'll see how the main story turns out. And it certainly seems like a harem series for the uninformed (I already know who wins, so I don't care about this one). My main complaint about his "harem" is that it seems strange that SAO, a game bought by pretty much only the most hardcore of gamers, would have so many pretty girls.

kamikaze_1996 said:
it was just as simple as that then it would be ranked much, much lower, campione is a good example of this, even though it had a good LN fanbase, shitty anime was shitty and fell accordingly

Eh, Campione's main problem was that it was insanely rushed. If it just followed the light novel Fate/Zero style people would rate it higher.

also when i meant balanced, i also meant stable, it doesn't seem to be decreasing as much as before and has stopped

Really? I thought it only decreased by only a few hundredths of a point. iirc it started at 8.7 or something.

another thing is, is that our opinion doesn't matter, although you say it deserves a 7-8, the majority believe its a 9-10 regardless of what we say

The short stories definitely deserved a 7-8. We'll see about the main story.

i for one believe its an 8.25/10 so far, but im not gonna rate it until i see how good they animate the mainstory which essentially contains all the good parts

Thanks for not rating an anime before it's done.
Aug 20, 2012 9:13 PM
Feb 2010
Kirito is no Gary-Stu episode 3 proved that to me.
Aug 20, 2012 9:16 PM

Aug 2012
i think its the calm before the storm atm...
Aug 20, 2012 9:44 PM
Aug 2012
suicdewinner said:
i think its the calm before the storm atm...
lol, considering all this to be the calm. I don't want to imagine the storm... Here's hoping that it just turns out to be cloud cover. xP
Idle_ObserverAug 20, 2012 9:57 PM
Aug 20, 2012 9:52 PM

Jul 2011
Uberchu said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Well, the side stories certainly make it seem like he is (excluding episode 3, it seems like he's just cruising his way through). We'll see how the main story turns out. And it certainly seems like a harem series for the uninformed (I already know who wins, so I don't care about this one). My main complaint about his "harem" is that it seems strange that SAO, a game bought by pretty much only the most hardcore of gamers, would have so many pretty girls.

kamikaze_1996 said:
it was just as simple as that then it would be ranked much, much lower, campione is a good example of this, even though it had a good LN fanbase, shitty anime was shitty and fell accordingly

Eh, Campione's main problem was that it was insanely rushed. If it just followed the light novel Fate/Zero style people would rate it higher.

Really? I thought it only decreased by only a few hundredths of a point. iirc it started at 8.7 or something.

The short stories definitely deserved a 7-8. We'll see about the main story.

Thanks for not rating an anime before it's done.
not gonna say anything about future material....must...resist...urge...

but im just gonna say that saying he has a harem is overrated and saying he is a gary stu is garystupid

first of all, go to the thread regarding that girl thing, you don't realise that 9/10 are boys, meaning their are a thousand girls, at least a couple hundred have to be pretty, silica is more the cute kind and so is lizbet, asuna is the only character introduced that is regarded as pretty and beautiful

episode 3 is one reason why he isn't a gary stu, (resorted to extremely dangerous methods to lvl up, never became high levelled so easily) but it doesn't just apply to that time frame, he is still a solo on the frontlines, which is dangerous in itself

campione was rushed with no justice, SAO is much more complicated than campione, it is told in a non-linear way and has part 1+2 volumes meaning vol.3 CANNOT be animated without volume 4, their way of doing things chronologically was the right idea so that it can have climactic endings, also it was simply the fact that vol.1+2 might not be enough for 25 episodes so they had to cram in the content from 3+4 by rushing the sidestories

i was talking about the rank, although only 100ths of the rating fell, the ranking decreased by 10+ then around 5 then 2, i was trying to say its become less jumpy than before

again whether or not you liked the sidestories is opinion based, fact is, the majority gave it 9s and 10s
Aug 20, 2012 9:55 PM

Jul 2011
Mikasa said:
If you don't stop this crossed-out word crap I'll go blind

you can go blind for all i care
Aug 20, 2012 10:22 PM

Apr 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:

Let me rephrase that because we can go on all day about statistical differences.
It is overrated because people are dumping 10/10's before even watching the whole thing.

kamikaze_1996 said:
i think its slightly overrated because so many people voted on the first episode without even waiting for the halfway mark

Glad that we are finally on the same page.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 20, 2012 11:45 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Let me rephrase that because we can go on all day about statistical differences.
It is overrated because people are dumping 10/10's before even watching the whole thing.

kamikaze_1996 said:

Glad that we are finally on the same page.

like i said, i only wanted to prove that it wasn't overrated before it aired and that what you said was a false statement, nothing more, nothing less
Aug 21, 2012 5:59 AM
Mar 2012
KurouKuriko said:

make him the president
Aug 21, 2012 6:04 AM

Nov 2009
same face syndrome, blame the character designer.
slide-show-animation, blame the animator.
bad contents in each episode, blame the director.
fail as an adaption, blame the producer.
Aug 21, 2012 6:18 AM

Mar 2012
Overrated, blame MAL xD
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 9:59 AM
Jun 2012
KurouKuriko said:

Aug 21, 2012 10:12 AM
Feb 2012
Deziah said:
KurouKuriko said:

Perfect, simply perfect description.

Aug 21, 2012 12:09 PM

Apr 2009
KurouKuriko said:

It was a pleasure reading this post. Too bad fanboys like kamikaze_1996 will ignore it.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 21, 2012 12:27 PM

Apr 2007
KurouKuriko said:

Aug 21, 2012 2:14 PM

Jul 2012
NNick said:
Deziah said:
KurouKuriko said:

Perfect, simply perfect description.

"All that crawling"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
2 hours ago

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

58 by AtelierAni »»
Yesterday, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.