New
Aug 17, 2012 9:36 AM

Jan 2010
Spotlight Anime: Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

MAL Anime Information Page: Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

MAL Score – 8.88 (by 29665 users)
Ranked - #13
Popularity - #205

For the next two weeks I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
28 Yes - 50.0%
28 No - 50.0%

28 I don't know this anime - 29.7% of the total number polled
10 Abstained - 10.6% of the total number polled
LindleMar 4, 2018 10:32 PM
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 18, 2012 8:19 AM

May 2010
I wrote a gushing review of this a couple of years ago, but looking back, it is kind of amateur. However, there is one line in there that still rings true to me: "this beautiful mix of 2D and 3D by sheer technical prowess has left other anime in the dust." As a work of animation, it is God-tier. As a story though, it's much more arguable. I mean, I think it's easily worthy of inclusion, but I still wonder about some of the changes made, especially in defanging the main characters' personalities. It's hard to judge the plot without knowing where the movies are going, I think a truly clear judgment of this movie can't be made until the third and fourth ones are out.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 18, 2012 1:55 PM

Oct 2010
I would want to say yes, but I wouldn't want this inducted without the main series being inducted. Rebuild is pretty awesome, but, in reality, it is just a less good Evangelion story-wise with great animation.
Aug 18, 2012 11:37 PM

May 2009
Someone please explain to me why Mari was in the film, apart from advertising.
Aug 19, 2012 8:08 PM

Jul 2007
Avalongus said:
Someone please explain to me why Mari was in the film, apart from advertising.
サービス! サービス!

Personally, I find its strongest point to be the promise of divergence from the original work. Some may criticize it for the lack of gritty angst which characterized the series in the 90's, but why bother with the movies if all they would have changed were the visuals?

On the flip side, "to promise" is different from "to deliver", and I would have to wait for the next movies to verify if there was actually any point to those tantalizing hints.
Aug 20, 2012 11:45 AM

Dec 2007
When I watched this movie, my reaction in the first five minutes was "will I give this a 9 or a 10"?

It's an impressive movie and I think that, even though the story does not fully develop, it has everything an anime should have.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 3, 2012 5:14 PM

Jan 2012
Just spoke with the VAs of Misato and Ritsuko (for the English dub) at FanExpo last week to tell them that I was really happy to have picked up Evangelion through the rebuild series. To my surprise, they laughed and told me it would be another decade until I actually understood what was to come in the following films.

That being said, I don't feel as if it's entirely fair for me to judge an adaptation without seeing the original. As for the rebuilds as standalone movies, it was jawdropping to see something produced from (what seems to be) a bottomless budget. Story-wise, the pacing was really fluid and I never found myself bored while watching the first two rebuild films.

Bottom-line, it's probably best to judge the rebuild series as whole. I'm probably going to check out the original too if the adaptations were different enough.
"Hello, Mr. Wind up Bird."
Sep 3, 2012 10:16 PM

Oct 2008
@Riotnoob:

While the first rebuild is a simple updating of animation and music of the original series. 2.0 decided to expand on the original and get rid of the more angst filled moments where the original stumbled and dragged. This helped with the flow of the plot that you are noticing. For many this is a hit or miss. Many people in this club loved those extremely long and agonizing depressing moments. Want to know more?

edit: If you click on that link your are bound to either ruin the old series or enhance it. Depends on your perspective on spoilers. :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.