Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2012 1:48 AM

Dec 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Um... a bit of an anti climax if you ask me. Didn't really understand how Medaka won but thats probably because I don't understand the japanese language.
But wow the arc just ended like that. Well I guess I'll be looking forward to the next arc.
Aug 15, 2012 1:51 AM

Nov 2011
it was a good ch btw she won cuz her opponent didn't want to say the word "surrender" ;)
and Nienami comes to the school... great idea :D

+ Momozono was extremely cute :D
Aug 15, 2012 2:14 AM

May 2012
loved how medeka controlled the whole battle from the very start, can anyone beat her? except for zenkichi of course
Aug 15, 2012 2:52 AM

Feb 2012
No, I still don't get and the rules confused me anyway, that's my fault but the end was really anti-climatic, wonder what Medaka's father has prepared, a wedding ceremony?

Yes, Nienami is joining them, I've waited for it.
Aug 15, 2012 3:20 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Ow, the Jet Black Wedding Feast arc ends here and I wasn't expecting this to end immediately in this chapter. I should be ready for anything.

Medaka planned everything from the start, that was outrageously brilliant! ;P

Nice, Nienami is joining them. :3 Love Naze's reaction from that. xD I hope I get to see more appearances of the suitors in the next arc. Besides Momozono, I really like Yuzuriha and I wanna know more about her. :P
Aug 15, 2012 3:46 AM

Dec 2010
I hope theres nothing like this again word games are too confusing especially in this manga. Its just too confusing and honestly I can't be bothered to understand the rules if the game is going to be played for 3 chapters or so.
I thought this was going to be the last arc and here comes another one. I don't exactly see what they can elaborate on if i'm honest. I wonder whats Medaka father got planned.
Aug 15, 2012 4:59 AM

Jun 2010
I don't get how Medaka won but Im glad she won. So they brought Shiranui along to do nothing? Lol.
Aug 15, 2012 5:19 AM

Jun 2010
Woah.
I would call bullsh*t on this one if it wasn't Medaka Box.

Basically Medaka was steering the conversations in a way for nobody to use the syllables needed for the word "surrender" (the author must've suffered). That way, those were the last syllables that came to Momozono's mind when she was thinking up words, and in the end she was left with those exact syllables. And even though Momozono could use them to make different words, she decided the battle was over because Medaka's scheme clearly outdone anything she could do.

The ending itself felt kind of rushed, I kind of expected the "win chapter" and then the "conclusion chapter", but whatever. Zenkichi's alright, Medaka learned to understand other people better and Shiranui's true awesomeness is still shrouded in mystery, simply because she can't be forced to do anything even though she could do anything.

I'm calling it - the next arc has something to do with the villain-ish guy introduced in the flashback in chapter 153.

Shiranui's grandpa has the abnormality of not having to eat, use the toilet or move at all, he spends his whole life in that room.
ewormAug 25, 2012 4:46 PM
Aug 15, 2012 7:37 AM

Mar 2011
O.o when do they get married...
---------
Another cheap win by Medaka!!! Only Medaka Box can do this.
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Aug 19, 2012 3:56 AM

Jan 2009
i find it hard to understand Medaka's win but at least the arc is over and a new arc will start
Sep 5, 2012 1:14 AM
Mar 2009
What.

That was kind of a fast ending to the Jet Black Wedding...
Jan 5, 2013 1:06 PM

Jun 2008
ChronosXIII said:
What.

That was kind of a fast ending to the Jet Black Wedding...

Fell the same and we didn't even got an explanation to what exactly they wanted her blood for.
Jan 18, 2014 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
Well, that arc was pretty short and the final battle was just another word game.
Mar 29, 2014 7:50 AM
Feb 2013
My god, that was such a terrible arc. Incoherent dialogue made me skip soo many pages. Of course Medaka would eventually win but that was just painful to read.
Jul 27, 2014 11:37 PM

Aug 2012
Thus brings the Jet Black Bride arc to a conclusion and disappointing doesn't begin to describe it. I knew the arc was going to be ending this chapter but the method which Medaka won was just so bullshit. & I don't think, "Because Medaka" is a serviceable excuse. Maybe if the final confrontation wasn't so boring, I wouldn't mind but it was. The amount of rules created is impressive but the execution of the game wasn't. That said, I do like how Medaka won, by forcing the girl to say "surrender" but it just doesn't translate to a worthwhile, satisfactory moment. I imagine part of it is that I'm not reading it in it's native language but I understand the principle behind it, it's still bull.

Which is unfortunate because prior to the final game, I was really enjoying this arc. It was a clear second favorite behind the minus arc, only really being hindered due to the mostly uninteresting villains & my disappointment that team Kumagawa & Ajimu (& Hansode Shiranui) were out of focus for most of it.

I'm not sure what I think of it now. I guess it's still my second favorite arc in the series. 6/10 maybe?
Oct 23, 2015 6:30 AM

Aug 2014
That ending was confusing as hell and how Medaka played mind games with everyone...amazing.
Aug 24, 2018 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
Medaka goes straight for the girl's pride and forces her to surrender.

What a dumb gamble.

This arc was okay, but I don't know enough words in Japanese to make this worthwhile, and I don't think that I'd really be enjoying that much even if I did.

On the plus side, another great character tags along in the end (lol), Zenkichi gets stronger and has some great moments, Medaka becomes a more interesting character (but her abilities and the way she uses them are just as uninteresting), and Ajimu also gets a few great moments.

I'm noticing a trend here.

While NisiOisiN's strengths seem to be creating vibrant and interesting characters and elaborate plotting, the pacing is completely fucked. And there's no tension because it's obvious everyone's just going to come back to life anyway. And I get that that's the point, but it's annoying. It makes this whole thing feel like one big giant huge waste of time.

But then, every once in a while, you get those amazing moments. When characters say something beautiful that get you so invested in their turmoil and make you glad you're reading Medaka Box after all.

Like when Kumagawa bursts into tears when he loses,

or when Zenkichi makes a crushing rejection,

or when Ajimu tries to kill herself out of boredom,

or when Shiranui is taken aback by just how good the friendship is between her and Zenkichi,

or when Akune finally breaks free of Medaka,

or when Naze Youka becomes a big sister again,

or when Kikaijima cries for Medaka when no one else will, not even Medaka herself,

there are hundreds of beautiful moments in Medaka Box.

I really believe it's worth reading Medaka Box just to see those moments.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 102 Discussion

Inarius - Jun 24, 2011

4 by mazuchi »»
Jul 10, 2023 1:27 PM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 117 Discussion

RawElements - Oct 13, 2011

29 by Cam1922 »»
Mar 13, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 19 Discussion

ShiroiRyu - Sep 19, 2009

16 by Cam1922 »»
Mar 10, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 57 Discussion

ShiroiRyu - Aug 25, 2010

13 by Gameboy_Matthew »»
Oct 29, 2022 7:37 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 125 Discussion

Inarius - Dec 3, 2011

18 by vbzre »»
Aug 27, 2022 4:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.