Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 13, 2012 1:04 PM

Apr 2012
I don't get why Mayaka started to cry on the scene with Kouchi-senpai.
Someone care to explain?
Aug 13, 2012 1:22 PM

Jul 2010
Everything got wrapped up nicely. Not only the mystery, but also Mayaka's problem. You really are something else, huh Houtarou? He figured everything out. He still has some explaining to do because Chitanda is still curious! ;)

All about expectations and what it does to someone when the person you trust doesn't meet them for a trivial reasons (Juumoji). Or when he or she does (Houtarou) when you wanted to (Satoshi).

The preview looks interesting! I wonder what the last arc will be about.

Aug 13, 2012 1:32 PM
Mar 2012
axuma said:
Someone care to explain?

There's a flashback to the scene where she's comparing her manga to someone else's, despairing that hers isn't as good as that one. I think the fact that Kouchi-sempai drew that logo on the rail means that it was her own manga that Mayaka was admiring. That gave Mayaka a new perspective on why Kouchi-senpai refused to read the other manga. She realized they were the same, feeling overwhelmed by the talent of another. That's what I think anyway.

Hotarou, you sneaky one, you. I re-watched the episode right after it was done to see how the plans and signals played out. Watching who's in scenes and how the camera sets things up is pretty interesting. Shown at just the right angles.
Aug 13, 2012 1:45 PM
Jan 2011
witchhuntress said:
As suspected it was...

I wonder what mystery is next...

It sure is........I hate Chitanda.
Aug 13, 2012 3:17 PM

Jul 2012
I had to rewatch the first scene again to see what had actually happened LOL And there it was!
doing the act of crime!

Great episode. Finally finished the school festival arc. XD

Damn Oreki! He's too smart.
Aug 13, 2012 3:55 PM

Oct 2010
Chitanda is so cute :3
Aug 13, 2012 4:55 PM

May 2011
Mayaka Ibara = by far the best character in the series...and thanks to this episode, one of the most interestingly developed. If only Chitanda were fleshed out a bit...
Aug 13, 2012 5:45 PM

May 2011
Houtarou is a goddamn genius and his plan for the scene was really well executed.

So everyone involved in this basically had some jealousy of their friends who had the talents but weren't as committed to those talents like they expected them to be. And they feel even more frustrated since they lacked the talents themselves.
Aug 14, 2012 1:27 AM

Jan 2012
OMG, This series has been boring to me as of late, but this episode makes me want to give it a 10.
Aug 14, 2012 1:47 AM

Mar 2010
Oreki is my new favourite character.. He's so awesome XD
Aug 14, 2012 2:29 AM

Jul 2012
Oreki totally executed it perfectly this time. Not only did he solve the crime nicely, but he made use of the culprit to sell more copies of Hyouka =D

Expectations wise, most people feel inferior to the talents and skills of others, add that to the fact that they can't do anything about it. Sadly, i fall into this category as i am not too exceptional...

Overall, nice and insightful conclusion to the school festival arc.

On a side note, Satoshi saying that he was a database who can't draw conclusions was really sad. Felt sorry for him in a way, being overshadowed by Oreki all the time.
BenGJHAug 14, 2012 2:33 AM
Aug 14, 2012 2:39 AM
Aug 2012
I reckon that this episode was a really nice way to wrap up the school festival arc, seeing as (over the course of the last few episodes) we've learned a bit more about the mains, especially Mayaka and Satoshi. I just wish that Chitanda played a bigger roll. >.<

Despite this, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I'm glad we're moving onto a different arc. :D
Aug 14, 2012 3:06 AM

May 2010
They actually sold them while using Juumonji incident.
Aug 14, 2012 3:40 AM

Jul 2011
Oreki like a boss! But the best part is when Chitanda went to off to Oreki to know what he has discovered about the Juumonji's mystery.
Aug 14, 2012 3:53 AM
Jul 2009
Wow I mostly figured that one out, if only from use of the shot gun method. had the culprit, and figured out his motive. I just didn't figure out the significance of ku because I was too lazy to go through all the characters mentioned to this point and see who's names were part of the group. Not sure I would have figured that out, even had I.

Also I thought the guy with blue hair was the actual president for the student council.
Aug 14, 2012 5:12 AM

May 2008
I have expectations for Satoshi to have expectations for Houtarou .

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 14, 2012 6:04 AM

Sep 2010
Bad ass Oreki-san! Blackmailling like a boss.
Aug 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Aug 2012
Hmm.... make me Curious.. >,<

Aug 14, 2012 1:37 PM

Aug 2008
axuma said:
Someone care to explain?

Remember the argument Mayaka and Kouchi had back in episode 13?
What make a good manga? Kouchi said any manga is equally entertaining and whether it's well received depends on the readers.
Mayaka said ultimately there's still a difference in the writers' technical abilities. She believes there's a distinction in the author's capabilities.

Precisely why Kouchi didn't want to read A Corpse by Evening because she was jealous of her friend's talents. (who was better and didn't even like manga as much as her).

The reason why Mayaka cried after seeing the logo was because she realized Kouchi was the creator of 'Bodytalk', the manga she felt was 'A level below A Corpse by Evening'. I guess she felt terrible because she hurt Kouchi without realizing it. She, of all people, should know that feeling of inadequacy since her own manga was and I quote 'a hundred levels below it'.

Which also gives us an insight about why Mayaka likes Fukube and understands him. Not only because they've known each other for so long but also because they share similar insecurities.
darkerealmAug 14, 2012 1:49 PM
Aug 14, 2012 3:15 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
darkerealm said:
axuma said:
Someone care to explain?

Remember the argument Mayaka and Kouchi had back in episode 13?
What make a good manga? Kouchi said any manga is equally entertaining and whether it's well received depends on the readers.
Mayaka said ultimately there's still a difference in the writers' technical abilities. She believes there's a distinction in the author's capabilities.

Precisely why Kouchi didn't want to read A Corpse by Evening because she was jealous of her friend's talents. (who was better and didn't even like manga as much as her).

The reason why Mayaka cried after seeing the logo was because she realized Kouchi was the creator of 'Bodytalk', the manga she felt was 'A level below A Corpse by Evening'. I guess she felt terrible because she hurt Kouchi without realizing it. She, of all people, should know that feeling of inadequacy since her own manga was and I quote 'a hundred levels below it'.

Which also gives us an insight about why Mayaka likes Fukube and understands him. Not only because they've known each other for so long but also because they share similar insecurities.
Thumps Up!
Aug 14, 2012 9:56 PM
Mar 2011
Can someone list the names and who they are, because I couldn't remember when the episodes were spread over more than a month. Especially who was the one who was said to have lost Kudoryavka's order (don't remember his name, begins with Ku) and who was Tanabe?
Aug 14, 2012 10:52 PM

Feb 2012
Togop said:
Can someone list the names and who they are, because I couldn't remember when the episodes were spread over more than a month. Especially who was the one who was said to have lost Kudoryavka's order (don't remember his name, begins with Ku) and who was Tanabe?

Kugayama Muneyoshi, the Student council president.

Tanabe was the one with glasses. He is one of the 20 executive committee members and a friend of Kugayama. Together with Anjou Haruna, they made "A Corpe by Evening".
Aug 14, 2012 11:19 PM

Mar 2009
And thus, this arc comes to a close. Hyouka's come a long way. This was probably the best school festival in an anime. Along with how entertaining and fun it was, we got a fair share of character development and, as always, an intriguing mystery to boot.

Speaking of character development, poor Satoshi and Mayaka. =(
Aug 14, 2012 11:57 PM

Mar 2012
So the student council president do know that Tanabe is the culprit ? Then I guess Tanabe was wrong about his message didn't get through to the president?
Keep moving forward
Aug 15, 2012 12:02 AM

Feb 2012
2easy4AgEnT said:
So the student council president do know that Tanabe is the culprit ? Then I guess Tanabe was wrong about his message didn't get through to the president?

From what I understood, the pres never knew till the end.
Aug 15, 2012 8:17 AM

Apr 2011
HauntingShock said:
2easy4AgEnT said:

From what I understood, the pres never knew till the end.

It seemed to me that Kugayama might well have figured it out before that, but just didn't let on until the closing ceremony. Whether he has any intention of drawing the manga or even of answering Tanabe's question ("have you read it yet?") is another matter, but I think the message did get through.
Aug 15, 2012 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
Oreki's sister is a lot smarter than Oreki...

She just looked at the poster, said "I see" and went to Oreki with A Corpse by Evening... just to get him started...

His sister called him an "idiot" back during the movie arc... Now it all make sense, she is that much better after all O.o
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2012 6:00 PM

Oct 2009
Uh, well, I hope the final arc steps up the GAME.
Aug 16, 2012 5:03 AM

Jul 2012
Stark700 said:

That was great episode :)
Aug 16, 2012 6:34 AM

Aug 2012
This episode is the best one of hyouka so far.
Mayaka's tears are so touching, the talent is really a sad thing.
Nowhere,everywhere.

Aug 16, 2012 6:41 AM

Aug 2012
shinkas said:
With only 4 episodes left, I wonder if:

(a) They're doing volume 5 in 4 episodes. Possible, since they used 5 and 4 episodes for the first two volumes, respectively, though the preview doesn't "feel" like it's volume 5 (I'm not sure about that but I think they are second years in volume 5).

(b) Episodes taken from "Little birds can remember" (we only had 2 from this volume).

hmmm, I don't know, both seem unlikely. Well, we'll see next Sunday.

I'm surprised we didn't hear of Oreki's sister in this episode. She seems to be an important force behind all mysteries...

I think it will be 4 episodes from"little birds can remember" ,volume 5 may not have the chance to be on TV. T_T
Nowhere,everywhere.

Aug 16, 2012 7:05 AM

Jul 2011
so now is the last arc
Aug 16, 2012 6:20 PM

Jul 2011
and This ends what was bar none the best arc of the series. No other arc even comes close. Sucks though, this show is just starting to get really good and now we only have 4 episodes left. Well, lets see if the show peaked or if it can go out with a bang.
Aug 16, 2012 10:30 PM

Apr 2012
EOTW said:
and This ends what was bar none the best arc of the series. No other arc even comes close. Sucks though, this show is just starting to get really good and now we only have 4 episodes left. Well, lets see if the show peaked or if it can go out with a bang.

I liked the first arc the best, mostly because of Oreki's deductions every episode. There is also the light novel if you want to continue the adventure, although it isn't fully translated yet.
Aug 17, 2012 12:17 AM

Oct 2011
Kanya festival was one out of 2 interesting arcs for me, but its over
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2012 6:14 AM

Apr 2012
I absolutely loved this episode. so many emotions everywhere.
you can't help but pity tanabe kun for the reason behind juumonji.
I believe the themes of this arc seems to be "jealousy" and "expectations", no?
also the student council pres is hot hot hotttt <3
as a final word, good job to my baby oreki houtarou for another job well done c:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2012 7:22 AM

Oct 2011
A good ending to a fun arc, Oreki was great! haha! I'm curious as to what the next will be, I'm looking forward to it.

who are you to change this world? silly boy.
Aug 17, 2012 12:49 PM

Dec 2011
I didn't expect Oreki to conspire with Tanabe.
Blackmail, eh? AHahahaaha.

Unfortunately, the message wasn't received.
But it was a good end!
The Hyouka sold out!!!
Aug 17, 2012 1:29 PM

Mar 2012

♥♥
Aug 17, 2012 1:29 PM

Mar 2012
Aug 18, 2012 6:10 AM

Nov 2007
Sugoiiiiiiiii~~~~~~~~~~!
SuperLike! Oreki was damn amazing again! And Tanabe Senpai is HOOOOTTTT! LOL. Like his hairstyle. :DDD
I like Oreki's shyness. damn! even though he's that gooood, he looks like really down to earth and that makes him more attractive. Shames! LOve!!! :D

I Love this Episode!
Finally! Satoshi feeling inferior to Oreki moments came to an end.. He finally accepted the fact that he can't beat Oreki and remembered that he is the database.
AND DATABASE can't draw any conclusions. Anyway, I love him being the who he is and he should stay like that.. :D

Demo, Seriously, in reality, we also feel like this ayt? :D This episode was all about feeling inferior to one of your friends. *woooh! nice~~!*

I wonder what will happen to the next episode? Shames! To see every episode is happiness demo, as we see another , it also means that the end is near. :'(
I wonder what the last arc will be about..~
Aug 18, 2012 11:24 AM

Jun 2011
genius
Aug 18, 2012 12:12 PM

Mar 2012
Chitanda Kauai
Aug 18, 2012 1:52 PM
Feb 2009
First of all, Oreki Houtarou is such a smart-ass. He is a genius indeed. And cute.

It really got me when they talk about expectations. Poor Satoshi. And when I see Mayaka crying after she talked to Kouishi-senpai, I felt like crying too. Does this mean that I'm human with no talent too, that's why I can understand their feelings? Oh well~ XD

Anyway this episode is amazing! I guess the next arc will be the final arc. This anime is so good that watching 17 episodes feel like only watching 5 episodes.
Aug 18, 2012 4:34 PM

May 2008
I loved this arc a lot but I'd be even more satisfied if there was more development between Satoshi and Mayaka.
Aug 19, 2012 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Stark700 said:

Curiosity in a nutshell.

haha That part was great. The whole episode was great. It actually felt like a full 25 minutes.

As expected, Oreki figured it out. I was wondering about that guy, he was one of 2 or 3 suspects I had in mind. But I definitely had no idea how it all fit together. A little overkill to get the message across. But it was still interesting. Everything from the last 3 or 4 episodes fell into place quite nicely. Had to rewatch when Oreki was explaining everything. Epic blackmail to get the guy to buy the rest of the copies. Satoshi's jealousy is really building up. I expect it to come to a breaking point some time during these last few episodes. With only 4 episodes left, I assume they will all be in a final arc. Should be interesting, can't wait!
Aug 20, 2012 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
Genius episode.
Enjoyed the festival arc.. :)
Aug 20, 2012 11:33 PM

May 2012
That was a nice ending; very perceptive. I hope new opening and closing themes next time.
Aug 30, 2012 2:32 AM

Apr 2011
End of the festival - FINALLY!
It wasn't that bad but it was stretched in time.

But...
Chitanda's curiosity was annoying again.
Sep 3, 2012 4:47 AM
Nov 2010
poor satoshi...To me satoshi isn't olny a databese!!!...he is a detective like oreki!!!...they are friends!!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.