Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 20, 2013 11:33 PM

Mar 2013
Dat Oreki deduction puts sherlock holmes to shame. Oreki = boss
Sep 27, 2013 2:14 AM

Oct 2009
Woah Houtarou completely exceeded my expectations! I guess you can't blame Satoshi for being jealous and poor Mayaka..
Oct 14, 2013 12:43 PM

Oct 2013
This episode and this arc as a whole have been THE highlight of the series. Movie arc was good, and opening Hyouka arc was a bit dull at times. As this series marches to a close across my computer screen, I get the increasing feeling that I'll view it as a series that, had some of the fat been cut out, could have been a true masterpiece, but as is, there are too many boring episodes scaring away newbies at the beginning and then littering the dead space between major arcs (I think that's why the movie arc-festival arc immediately succeeding was a fantastic choice).
Nov 17, 2013 6:27 PM

Oct 2013
When Ibara's tear falls on the rollerskating cat. Dem feels.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 27, 2013 12:34 AM

Jun 2012
I doubted the manga society were behind this. But then I realised that someone with power would be responsible for such things. Good deduction Oreki.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Jan 2, 2014 5:32 AM

Jun 2013
So my guess was right: Tanabe-senpai. I assumed it was him because he wa mentioned in "A Corpse of Evening". But my theory was incomplete. So again, I was amazed at our genius Oreki for having a complete conclusion about the culprit. Well, he is also good in blackmailing. Does he even know that Satoshi was jealous at him? It was pretty obvious from Satoshi's reactions whenever they talk to each other.

Shipping Oreki x Eru and Satoshi x Mayaka.
Jan 11, 2014 5:02 PM

Aug 2011
I've never seen an anime stretch a school festival over this many episodes, nor make it so interesting! Not just with the mystery, but also how that was connected with multiple subplots concerning people's expectations.
Jan 15, 2014 11:33 AM

Jul 2013
Damn, my mind is blown when Oreki just BS through the entire episode. He knows the true culprit and even sets up a plan to get Hyouka's anthologies to sold out. Astounding episode, with the festival arc is truly amazing. Well I also will give credit to Satoshi when trying his best to find the true culprit but Oreki is one step ahead of him.

Looks like Manaka's friend just made amends with a happy yet sad moment.

Well now it wrap things up with everyone wanted to celebrate at Chitanda's house, with Oreki still being himself as ever XD.

Mar 17, 2014 11:29 PM

Apr 2011
lol I went back to see the explosion scene and it was in fact Tanabe senpai
Mar 19, 2014 1:10 AM

Jun 2012
well that was pretty good! ^^

Mar 25, 2014 7:12 PM

Aug 2013
Holy titty cow, Houtarou is a fucking genius. I didn't figured out a shit before he explained it.

That jealousy story remind me of Sakourasou, where genius could do anythng so easily while Sorata and Nanami were working their ass off to get putted away...

Houtarou is one sneaky motherfucker, blackmailing that guy xD
Well, it was the least the vice-president could do :P

Chitanda speech served Houtarou so much.

So we also got to learn the origin of the tension in the manga club. Still, what they did to Mayaka was fucking horrible, bullying her simply because she have a different opinion, that's disgusting.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 13, 2014 9:51 AM
Jul 2010
I keep trying to like this, but the explanations, routes of solving, and motivations behind all the mysteries just seem so poorly put together.
Apr 22, 2014 4:54 PM

Jul 2010
bomblolz said:
I keep trying to like this, but the explanations, routes of solving, and motivations behind all the mysteries just seem so poorly put together.

Excusme me, did we even watch the same anime? Everything is explained properly, I don't see what route of solving would possibly be put "poorly together". Of course some "chance" happenings are questionable but for the sake of the story it's necessary and nothing too far stretched to be unbelieveable/out of the ordinary.
Motivation is quite simple so I see no problem there, it's just a tad deeper than your usual happy go lucky harem anime but so very human like I honestly don't see what part could be put "poorly together". If anything I think it's the strongest point of this arc, though the mysterie itself is very good I think it's the motivation that makes this arc so interesting and captivating.

Hyouka is one of the better and one of the most cleverly written series I've seen so writing something like that is almost insulting, especially if you have no examples or at least (personal) reasons to support such an empty based and thoughtless like statement.
Animefanx3Apr 22, 2014 5:00 PM
Apr 22, 2014 4:58 PM

Mar 2014
bomblolz said:

They are actually pretty well developed, not sure what anime you're watching.
May 15, 2014 3:53 AM
Jan 2012
You'd have to re-watch it to understand things in full scope, because the mystery is quite well crafted and related to the theme of expectations (and disillusion about yourself at the time of maturing). If you missed the details, you'll have to go back.

I think this festival arc is now a legend of KyoAni magic; it's great when things all work together. Pity that some people didn't get what it was all about ...
Jul 9, 2014 10:05 PM

May 2014
What a quality episode. It was like everything good about Hyouka in one 25-minute episode.

And the celebratory cheer animation in the ending sequence... KyotoAni, you have outdone yourself.

http://i.minus.com/iNs065qWTnKUJ.gif
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Jul 23, 2014 7:17 PM

Jul 2009
Holy crap, this episode was amazing! I did NOT expect that to happen! :O
Chitanda did a pretty good job getting everyone excited about the thief going for the Classic Club ... then BAM! The manuscript exploded?! :O That glance Satoshi gave Houtarou all makes sense now ... speaking of Satoshi, man what we know about him now! "Expectations" and how that means he's given up ... well, seeing as what he "expected" of Houtarou ... so he'd given up on trying to catch the thief himself eh? Dang that's rough ... I didn't expect the Vice Prez to be the culprit either! So he was the third member of the manga group and felt like his friend was wasting away his art skills. Then we get Ayako's side of the story with her friend writing a great story even though she barely read manga ... again, "expectations". Being close to someone so amazing DOES suck if you always compare yourself to them ... man, this episode really was great.
Houtarou manages to strike a deal with Tanabe to sell the rest of the anthologies AND set up the explosion! Smooth ... yeah, what can I say, I loved this episode! :3
Kind of a shame this arc is over, but I'm sure the next one will be great as well! :D
Sep 8, 2014 2:37 AM

Aug 2009
Stark700 said:

Curiosity in a nutshell.

lol thats the highlight of the ep

some feels for satoshi... but its okay because he brings chitanda's attention to houtarou again

damn it, i couldnt connect "ku" with kudryavka's order, o well

great ep

rdy for moar
Jan 6, 2015 1:54 AM

Aug 2014
Though subtly, things are changing throughout the anime.

The comedy is still there, but there are things that are off about them. A darker mood is settling in. When the club members laugh together, it feels more & more fake each passing episode...

This episode, in particular, hit me in the feels as I relate to those who strive to be the best at what they love like Satoshi, Tanabe, & Kouchi. It's understandable that they become envious of their corresponding talented friends: Houtarou, Kugayama, & Anjou. Perfectly defined "expectations" Satoshi.

tl:dr Dis episode: #2deep4me #iknowthatfeelbro
Feb 27, 2015 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
This was the best arc of the series by far!

Bheaze said:
When Ibara's tear falls on the rollerskating cat. Dem feels.

IKR ;__;
Mar 6, 2015 4:04 AM

Jan 2014
TranAran said:
Though subtly, things are changing throughout the anime.

The comedy is still there, but there are things that are off about them. A darker mood is settling in. When the club members laugh together, it feels more & more fake each passing episode...

This episode, in particular, hit me in the feels as I relate to those who strive to be the best at what they love like Satoshi, Tanabe, & Kouchi. It's understandable that they become envious of their corresponding talented friends: Houtarou, Kugayama, & Anjou. Perfectly defined "expectations" Satoshi.

tl:dr Dis episode: #2deep4me #iknowthatfeelbro

Houtarou is a slumbering evil genius, Satoshi and Mayaka did their best to wake him up (with Chitanda as an unaware acomplice) but they are coming to regret their succes in doing so.

Personally, I loved this episode, precisely because of that. Corrupted Houtarou's moment was epic.

KingCez said:
so did anyone know who it was before his deduction?

I think it was pretty much impossible to know without an extensive (native) knowledge of Japanese.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 15, 2015 7:42 AM

Oct 2013
Once again Oreki and his genius mind :)
May 22, 2015 10:09 PM

Jul 2008
Okay let's sum it up.

First up Houtarou...*applause*...not only did you figure it out but you used it to your advantage, well played sir.

Satoshi...what did you think would eventually happen when you created this monster detective huh?

Ibara...those girls in the club are real jerks especially the one who you confronted at the end. I'd quit the club because it wouldn't be worth it.
Jun 8, 2015 9:09 AM
Jun 2015
Houtarou just blow my mind up.He managed to solved the Juumonji and sold some Hyouka by black mailed XD.Houtarou is the man!!!Another great episode.Well done
Aug 25, 2015 5:31 PM

Dec 2012
This mystery ended up being far more profound than I expected. Ayako, Tanabe, and Satoshi all suffered from the jealousy of having to stand one step down the podium from those with tremendous, untapped potential in the things they are most passionate about. The whole thing with Mayaka and Ayako seemed silly and slightly cringe worthy at first, but I do like how it all clicked together by the end. Especially that moment where Mayaka realizes she's the author of that other manga. In this case, it seems to examine how people carry gifts and talents that they have no interest in, which could better be served for people who are passionate about those activities. But that's the harsh reality of it, that people have a knack for things they don't care about while others will bend over backwards to only get a fraction of that same result.

Houtarou keeps cracking me up though, blackmailing Tanabe into buy those copies. Yeah, it doesn't matter how curious Eru gets he needs to stay quiet on that one.
Aug 31, 2015 3:53 PM

Mar 2014
The way they show Oreki as an almost careless genius is superb.
I've seen the whole 'quiet, everything's such a drag but I'm smart' character plenty of times before but none quite as interesting as this guy!
Trash mammal
Dec 16, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
This mystery ended up being far more profound than I expected. Ayako, Tanabe, and Satoshi all suffered from the jealousy of having to stand one step down the podium from those with tremendous, untapped potential in the things they are most passionate about. The whole thing with Mayaka and Ayako seemed silly and slightly cringe worthy at first, but I do like how it all clicked together by the end. Especially that moment where Mayaka realizes she's the author of that other manga. In this case, it seems to examine how people carry gifts and talents that they have no interest in, which could better be served for people who are passionate about those activities. But that's the harsh reality of it, that people have a knack for things they don't care about while others will bend over backwards to only get a fraction of that same result.

well put.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2015 5:56 PM

Sep 2014
Expectations are hard but at least the festival was fun. Ep 17.

Plot: The Juumonji incident wraps up. The Hyouka anthology is taken and the CC has lost...not. Oreki figured out it was Tanabe and pulled a blackmail-esque deal to get rid of the remaining Hyoukas. It works. Meanwhile Mayaka gets her resolution with Kouchi and Satoshi reveals his...expectations. Those are powerful things. Heck even Chitanda realizes that there are things she can't do. The Kanya fest is over and its time for the next arc.

Character: Satoshi and those expectations. They are the limits that define what you can do and can't do. Satoshi can only be a database so he can't be the detective like Oreki. It's not in his expectations. Mayaka had expectations of herself when it comes to manga against those who are just better.

As did Kouchi. She expected her friend that had never read manga to not make a masterpiece and low and behold. Same for Tanabe who saw the masterful drawing skill of Kouyama but that was not meant to be.

Oreki has surpassed that expectation by doing so much with the little time he had. It's a depressing thing for Satoshi to see who can't go past his but seeing his friend just ascend to greater heights.

Animation/sound: The faces. The music. and the resolution that while triumphant was still tinged with melancholy.

5/5. Please those with Expectations. Don't let them become everything. They can be surpassed and you can do and be more.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Apr 24, 2016 3:00 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the festival ends and a new arc ends, masterfully, but just not great...

-----
Se acaba el festival y se acaba un nuevo arco de forma magistral, aunque no genial.
May 12, 2016 5:24 AM

Mar 2014
Word of the Day : "Expectations" .
Very Great Episode !!! Differences . Sold out ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2016 7:19 AM

Jan 2016
Aww she sound sooo nervous at the radioshow..And well other then some mind fuck earlier cause i passed out sleeping halfway xD having to rematch the two 2 episodes before this..

Overall It was a spectacular Episode, enjoyment trough the roof! Now time to celebrate with Oolong-tea… “That is so lame…” xD
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 27, 2016 12:30 PM
Mar 2016
This episode is the best so far of Hyouka! Houtarou Oreki exceeds the expectations and i hope he'll do it even more
May 29, 2016 1:10 PM

May 2010
Well then, basically it was another overdramatised arc, BUT quite enjoyable, even for "mistery" this silly and petty. Houtarou naisu!
Movie arc was definitely better, but this one wasn't that bad either. I think I already got used to the veeeery slow pace of this series.

Still, I really hated that side story with Mayaka and manga society. Wtf? This was 10x times more boring than main storyline. Maybe because I just don't like her bitchy personality, ugh. I'm not too fond of Satoshi either, he seems... obsessed? with Houtarou. Meh. If he was superior in many areas than sure, but the way it is, this plotline just seems forced.

At least Eru was super cute through this entire arc ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Jul 21, 2016 8:50 PM

Apr 2014
I have to admit that this show occasionally relies on forced resolutions to some of the mysteries at hand, but it really does not affect how much I enjoyed it. However, I was pleasantly surprised that Oreki ended up having a hand in the mystery rather than being a completely objective bystander.

Overall I think Hyouka is pretty unique as well as very creative, and its probably best not to expect TOO much, this is first and foremost an anime, it wasn't actually directed by Arthur Conan Doyle lol

Sep 12, 2016 4:53 PM
Jan 2012
Our episode that full of revelations. This koichi is annoying, but I understand it. It was surprising how oreki solved and found out who was the Juumonji. Even though I was sad armed of their manuscript have been partially burned,but after watch all episode I percept is a fake manuscript and oreki pitched all. Cool that managed to sell all units, totaling of approximately 400 dollars.
Tanabe have problems and feelings missing understood for anjou and kugayama.
RafaKojiroSep 19, 2016 12:38 PM
Nov 8, 2016 8:07 PM

Sep 2015
Omg good episode. So Kouchi Senpai was the maker of Body Talk eh?
Houtarou figured out everything and planned that explosion along with the rest of the plan to protect the TJ Senpai with the power of blackmail lol , I feel sorry for Satoshi especially when he said databases couldn't conclude stuff. Now I want to read the manga!
Dec 20, 2016 11:10 AM

Jan 2014
This show... It should be called Overreactions: The Anime.

On one hand, from experience and a logical understanding of how people can be, I understand the character motivations in this show. On the other, I just can't relate to them. This was true of the amateur movie arc, it is true of the cultural festival one, and it is so in real life as well.

I can't empathize or sympathize with such fundamentally self-involved (in my opinion) ideas as those highlighted in this episode, and which seem to be the central conceit of this show:

1. The idea of expectations, envy, and dumping one's own personal silliness on others. Judging by this arc and Irisu's speech to Oreki at the close of her arc, it is a theme very close to the author's heart. I find it very, for lack of a better word, narcissistic, this kind of vicarious wish fulfillment. I can rationally somewhat understand the possibility of feeling inferior to someone just because they're better at something, but I've never really felt it myself, in all honesty. I've met tons of people more skilled at things I like, and likely am more skilled at other things than others with similar interests.

2. The idea of the existence of an objective masterpiece goes against all my beliefs, but that's not to say it is an invalid opinion. However, the way Mayaka argues for it is distasteful, albeit very true to how such debates often go in the real world. Her stance comes across very immature - "I love this thing, and think it in absolute terms the best thing ever. The only reason you don't think there is an absolute best thing ever is that you haven't experienced this thing. If you experience it and still disagree, then you're an idiot and I have nothing more to say to you." I might have misinterpreted her in that last bit, though.

She leaves no room for subjectivity. Even when it seems like she's changed her mind at the end of the episode, she quickly regresses. Her point seems to be that if she accepts that subjectivity is a huge factor in discussions of art, it will become "pointless". Again, it's all black and white, no gray. Why should personal preference preclude debate? Why is it impossible to accept that someone can disagree with you and still discuss the difference of opinions? If anything, it seems to me more logical that absolutism is more likely than subjectivism to suppress debate, reduce it to either mutual fawning or one-sided lecturing.

---------

On another note, just how many people with inferiority complexes and ridiculously exaggerated passive aggressive tendencies attend this school? First you have the laughably manipulative ice queen who... didn't like an amateur film script, then the anguished mastermind who messed with a school's yearly cultural event because... his best friend won't write manga. I daren't imagine a future where these folks run huge firms or hold down important government positions. Then there are the two secondary protagonists. It's all a bit much for my tastes.

---------

The reason I like Hyouka is the relatively down-to-earth nature of its first few episodes, including the Sekitani Jun arc. The film arc is likely my low point, but the school festival arc gives it a run for its money. It feels unnatural to me, and blown up out of proportion, in contrast to the small-scale mysteries that seemed to be the show's focus (per the MAL description and introductory episodes). It is far more to my taste than other drama-first SoL dramedies like Oregairu or Sakurasou, although the two main arcs really try their best to make me feel otherwise.
Chelsea1311Dec 20, 2016 11:20 AM
Dec 22, 2016 4:01 PM

Aug 2016
Houtarou is amazing, the deduction was epic and he really shocked me with his plan to sell 30 copies of hyouka. I loved this episode...
Mar 7, 2017 5:09 AM

May 2008
If you rewatch it again at that scene with the burning papers you can see Tanabe Senpai being freaking suspicious. He also used his smartphone to call Satoshi on that scene. Still, they take this whole thing too freaking serious lol. I mean their goal was just to sell some books imao.
CCL_SamaMar 7, 2017 5:25 AM
May 28, 2017 6:10 AM

Feb 2016
Can someone write a recap about this. I kinda don't understand and understand it...... -,-"

YouTubeWeird Videos
Anime Edits
PixivSheetHost

"Salvation is a thin thread dangling from heaven."
- Mary ~ Death Mark

May 28, 2017 6:10 AM

Feb 2016
Can someone write a recap about this. I kinda don't understand and understand it...... -,-"

YouTubeWeird Videos
Anime Edits
PixivSheetHost

"Salvation is a thin thread dangling from heaven."
- Mary ~ Death Mark

Jun 19, 2017 6:50 PM

Aug 2013
Chitanda's advertisement was pretty good in my opinion.

Houtarou was amazing in this episode with his deductions. Lots of information but I understood the basics. (had to go back a few times :P) He even found the best way to sell those anthologies.

Felt bad for Satoshi. I wanted him to solve it. Oh well.

That poster though. Houtarou's face XD

Aug 5, 2017 8:18 AM

Feb 2015
This has been a really interesting arc. I think some of the details have gone over my head, but I understand most of it. The things directly affecting members of the classics club have been most interesting. I feel like I really want to dive into the stuff with Kudryavka's Order and stuff even further, but I'd also be fine with moving on honestly.
May 3, 2018 10:52 AM

Apr 2013
It being someone from the student council wasn't really surprising imo, there weren't that many people left who could've done it. I liked how Oreki solved the case though, very methodic.
May 8, 2019 7:12 AM

May 2015
I dont get this whole drama about manga.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 17, 2019 11:32 AM

Nov 2017
This is my favourite episode so far with this re-watch. Really good conclusion and Houtarou's inferences are as interesting as ever.

This gif will never get old! <3

Sep 22, 2019 7:58 PM

Mar 2016
Ha, a false flag to sell books. Lots of eye rolling from me though. I thought the talk Mayaka had with her club senpai was way more interesting than what the mystery ended up being. An autistic argument about art and concealing tears with irony...it sure sounds familiar. All of the anxiety about being inferior to someone else in this episode is pretty relatable to be honest.
syncrogazerSep 22, 2019 8:10 PM
Oct 18, 2019 3:51 AM

Mar 2017
The two stories behind A Corpse at Night in Kouchi and Tanabe perspectives are really good. They wraps up the arc nicely while still leaving you something to think about.

FrozenRaider said:
I dont get this whole drama about manga.

Basically they argue about what is defined masterpiece. Kouchi thinks that's based solely on individual opinion while Ibara thinks masterpiece goes beyond just that. Ibara uses A Corpse At Night (story by Anjou Haruna) as example. Turns out Anjou and Haruna are friends. Anjou never wrote story before but then she made such a good story while Kouchi struggled but couldn't reach that level. Kouchi didn't finish reading the manga and tries to forget about it, i would say out of jealousy. Only later Ibara realises Kouchi is the creator of her second favorite doujin. Then the original argument doesn't matter anymore.
And that's just one perspective behind ACAN oh man.
TwiistOct 18, 2019 4:16 AM
Jan 26, 2020 4:14 AM
Apr 2016
Ah, Oreki really is amazing. Great arc.
Mar 3, 2020 9:09 PM

Apr 2015
yeah because the Oreki sister after reading the poster conveniently knows whats going on and conveniently has the crucial manga with her and conveniently gives it to Houtarou at the right time. seems like its impossible to write a detective story without ass pulls, huh
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.