MyAnimeList.net

Episode Information
Forums

Pages (3) 0.8 [1.8] 2.8 »
Post New Reply
Sep 2, 2012 5:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 270
kamikaze_1996 said:
until technology that's similar to nerve gear is invented, there will never be a game as epic as SAO

there's too huge a difference between playing a game and living in one


that's how it is you won't have experience of game like Sao for a long time, where you control everything by brain. For now they are trying to do virtual reality but that's much different from how it is presented here, and controls there are linked to body movement instead of brain control.
I wonder if concept that is made up in Sao will ever be possible.

As for Sao mmo part, you are going around killing things doing quest (although in novel there is a quest which was done by Kirito at the start, and he spend 3-4 hours killing flowers creatures and was waiting for one rare mob which was nessesery for quest, He did it right at the begining when pretty much everyone was still in the Starting City) great right killing mobs for hours just to get a quest done, also he did it when he was alone there. There is more information about this quest as later we find out that players take a full week to do this quest).
Apart from quest we have boss fights, which could be interesting, It can have a lot of different mechanics but after boss is clearned he is no more so we have one raid that can kill him and that's all, rest of players would never get them.


Anyway this part was unessesery as what we want is VRMMO :) Well I will live for another 50-70 years or so If something stiupid doesn't happen so I hope by the time I die something like this will exist :)
 
Sep 2, 2012 5:24 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 102
eso18 said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
until technology that's similar to nerve gear is invented, there will never be a game as epic as SAO

there's too huge a difference between playing a game and living in one


that's how it is you won't have experience of game like Sao for a long time, where you control everything by brain. For now they are trying to do virtual reality but that's much different from how it is presented here, and controls there are linked to body movement instead of brain control.
I wonder if concept that is made up in Sao will ever be possible.

As for Sao mmo part, you are going around killing things doing quest (although in novel there is a quest which was done by Kirito at the start, and he spend 3-4 hours killing flowers creatures and was waiting for one rare mob which was nessesery for quest, He did it right at the begining when pretty much everyone was still in the Starting City) great right killing mobs for hours just to get a quest done, also he did it when he was alone there. There is more information about this quest as later we find out that players take a full week to do this quest).
Apart from quest we have boss fights, which could be interesting, It can have a lot of different mechanics but after boss is clearned he is no more so we have one raid that can kill him and that's all, rest of players would never get them.


Anyway this part was unessesery as what we want is VRMMO :) Well I will live for another 50-70 years or so If something stiupid doesn't happen so I hope by the time I die something like this will exist :)


Are you talking about the novel or SAO game?

Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces attracted to him and his woman because of a demonic mark on their necks, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, and an iron prosthetic left hand, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.
 
Sep 3, 2012 12:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 45
Vindictus is a MMORPG I started playing after I watched Sword Art. I also felt like playing one after watching this anime :P. I really enjoy playing vindictus and it's a easy game to get into. It's very high graphic, not point and click, and pretty fun. The game reminds me of PSO-BB if you've ever played that.
 
Sep 3, 2012 12:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 808
Ragnarok Online(may be a bit old for those into high 3D spec gamers, but the gameplay is what's important), for those 100 floors the Endless Tower would be a good choice but it only has a Boss Monster every 5 floors and if you're truly up for the challenge you could try clearing it by yourself(a few have succeeded).And if ever an international server comes out anytime soon then Ragnarok 2: Legend of the Second would be a good bet.

DragonNest maybe?

 
Sep 3, 2012 12:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1396
paladin2050 said:
as i know World of Warcraft is the only game that looks like SAO
you can be a Fury-Warrior and wear 2 blades like Kirito
and there is pets to tame like Keiko
and professions to learn like cooking,blacksmith,mining

but you can't solo :(


Either that or rogue who can also dual wield, and from how Kirito is depicted you can tell he is purely dps in the series

..but yeh wow...skims your life and money away
 
Sep 3, 2012 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 62
Kirito's recent fight with the Glean Eyes reminded me of MapleStory.

They just created a job that specialises in breaking the damage cap, literally. It has literally solo'ed every boss possible in the entire game. (For those who actually play or had played, Zakum now takes 4 seconds to solo for that job.)

Great game for those who wants to be a Solo player.

But, of course, that game is a fail in every department when compared to SAO, its 2D, basically scroller-platform... and lacks actual PvP (or at least, what they call PvP doesn't even PK, but then again, with all those rampant damage numbers...)

SAO is too simplistic a game for MMORPGs to adopt. Not that its SAO's fault (VRMMORPGs are another whole level), but... you just can't replicate it over. At least, not in its entirely.
 
Sep 3, 2012 7:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 19636
The closest thing that we could expect is the upcoming Otherland, based upon the best-selling novels of Tad Williams that have similar premise to SOA (the storyline of the books being about a next-generation virtuality-mmorpg used by mysterious people to trap and manipulate the players who logged in into it).

Concept-wise there are quite a few upcoming melee-based mmo games(like Swordsman Online, which is reminds me a bit of the fighting in SOA), but, IMO, its the concept of virtuality and self-awareness that makes SOA unique and hard to repeat in real "mmo".
Otherwise nope, nothing of that sort out there.
Modified by CookingPriest, Sep 3, 2012 7:43 AM
 
Sep 3, 2012 8:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 736
Play Guild Wars 2.
Yes... you can wield 2 Swords if you're a Warrior. Or a Greatsword.
The game launched few days ago, i'm already lvl 42/80.

Yes, and there are no monthly fees.
 
Sep 7, 2012 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
paladin2050 said:
as i know World of Warcraft is the only game that looks like SAO
you can be a Fury-Warrior and wear 2 blades like Kirito
and there is pets to tame like Keiko
and professions to learn like cooking,blacksmith,mining

but you can't solo :(

You, my friend, have yet to see more than one mmo it appears.
NNick said:
Play Guild Wars 2.
Yes... you can wield 2 Swords if you're a Warrior. Or a Greatsword.
The game launched few days ago, i'm already lvl 42/80.

Yes, and there are no monthly fees.

This. Also I saw a complete Baka say "GW2 has no action combat". It's hot key based! That means about as much action as you can get without forcing a controller on people. It is certainly not an rpg in terms of combat controls. (you won't find any real actiOn mmos, they all revolve around rpg mechanics somewhat).
Anyway, GW2 is certainly innovating mmo design to make a fun game.
Now if you wanted to play SAO you would need to find a kind of badly designed game, since there aren't many exciting features in SAO. I'd recommend just going for a bog standard mmo pile runescape, although jrpgs like aion and lineage 2 (latter has terribly Grundy gameplay and bots galore).
 
Sep 9, 2012 5:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 122
Pan151 said:
BloodRequiem said:
Runescape after EoC.


Hell no.

NO NO NO
 
Sep 9, 2012 6:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 334
WoW + Dragon Nest = SOA.

WoW graphics, profession and dragon nest game style.

The problem is what kind of MMO would implement a unique skill.
Everyone else would like to have it and most probably it'll be an
item shop skills that only a single person can acquire.
It'll costs a lot of money that you'll eventually shit bricks just to have it.
 
Sep 9, 2012 6:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 137
Ragnarok Online, Iris Online is the closest thing i can think of any resemblance with SAO.

Gameplay wise, you should try Dark Souls, although it wasn't MMORPG, it has online multiplayer aspect and death is... you can say, punishing. Dark Souls got many of SAO combat aspect, like blocking before you attack, dodging attacks by rolling, bosses that could kill you easily if you don't pay any attention, etc etc.
 
Sep 9, 2012 10:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 466
Gleam Eyes = Baphomet
Labyrinth = Prontera's Hidden Temple/Labyrinth Forest(which is coincidentally where you will find Baphomet just like Gleam Eyes)
Heathcliff = Crusader
Starburst Stream = Guillotine Cross' Cross Impact or Assassin's Sonic Blow
SAO = Endless Tower

Ragnarok Online is definitely the closest.
 
Sep 9, 2012 10:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 86
MAPLE FOKEN STORY!!!!

jk :P

Vindictus, Tera, Raiderz, C9
 
Sep 9, 2012 10:51 AM
Forum Moderator
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 11154
I don't think Guild Wars 2 is similar, but it would be the best mix right now. A very successful MMORPG that is just released, added with a very hyped anime, and it's probably one of the best hedonistic experience for the average MMORPG anime fan (like moi). I will get GW2 in a few days I think. Haven't "bought" a game for like... ever.
 
Sep 9, 2012 11:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5243
I recommend you World of Warcraft, that way you can stay away from actual interesting titles such as Eve Online.
WoW is also ridicously easy, so you'll have no problems fitting in with all the 1337 kidz and h4xX0rs.
 
Sep 9, 2012 12:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1924
I remember when I used to play Ragnarok Online and try to impress people and be the strongest in the server. I still facepalm about it.
 
Sep 9, 2012 3:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 237
This anime takes me back a little to good old times in FFXI when I was playing that game.
 
Sep 10, 2012 6:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 76
SAO makes every MMO on the market look terrible in comparison.

While SAO has a grind, and the most unimaginative sort in the form of 100f tower, it's a relatively open world where you can go off to explore or do other stuff on your own. It reminds more of Everquest than most current games on the market.
 
Sep 10, 2012 1:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
For the people saying Maple Story. Maple Story is platform game-style, in other words, 100% NOT like SAO.
 
Sep 10, 2012 6:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 102
I am interested again to MMORPGs thanks to SAO so I think I'm playing one from a local server in our country. I should try to check my Cabal account if it's still alive. :D
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
 
Sep 11, 2012 4:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Calreth said:
SAO makes every MMO on the market look terrible in comparison.


Like any other anime/manga in which a game is the main ambientation(.hack//,Yureka,Summer Wars, 1/2 Prince and a lot of others...)
 
Sep 11, 2012 5:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 334
Just wait for Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment.
It'll probably the closest thing since you'll be playing the characters themselves.
 
Sep 11, 2012 6:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Perhaps we should look into the MMORPG features seen in Sword Art Online:

- Action-Oriented Combat (NOT "watch your character and monster trade blows" combat)
- Open World
- Player Housing
- Professions (Blacksmithing/Cooking/Alchemy/etc.)
- Player-Killing
- Pets (for certain classes)
- Marriage/Couple System
- Ethics Code (if you know what I mean)

Feel free to add more to the list :)
 
Sep 11, 2012 8:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Rohnin said:

- Ethics Code (if you know what I mean)


We definitely need a game where we can disable it. For the giggles hahah.
 
Sep 12, 2012 1:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 466
Rohnin said:
Perhaps we should look into the MMORPG features seen in Sword Art Online:

- Action-Oriented Combat (NOT "watch your character and monster trade blows" combat)
- Open World
- Player Housing
- Professions (Blacksmithing/Cooking/Alchemy/etc.)
- Player-Killing
- Pets (for certain classes)
- Marriage/Couple System
- Ethics Code (if you know what I mean)

Feel free to add more to the list :)


Ragnarok Online has most of these features except Action Oriented Combat and Player Housing. There is even an island called Jawai where you can go "honey moon" after you get married. You can even have baby characters. I haven't tried it though because i'm too busy boss hunting.
 
Sep 12, 2012 4:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
ravagestorm said:

Ragnarok Online has most of these features except Action Oriented Combat and Player Housing. There is even an island called Jawai where you can go "honey moon" after you get married. You can even have baby characters. I haven't tried it though because i'm too busy boss hunting.


I'm not really a fan of 2D style MMOs or Point-and-click combat. Don't get me wrong, Ragnarok Online is the closest thing to Sword Art Online in terms of its features. But after watching the anime, you'll find yourself wanting more action when fighting a monster.

RaiderZ is a good game to look into, although it doesn't have most of the features I listed. It definitely has the Action-Oriented Combat, Open World, and Professions. Player-Killing is only possible in certain areas, unlike in SAO where every area is a PvP zone, except Town Areas. It doesn't have Marriage, Pets, and Player housing.
 
Sep 12, 2012 9:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 466
Rohnin said:
ravagestorm said:

Ragnarok Online has most of these features except Action Oriented Combat and Player Housing. There is even an island called Jawai where you can go "honey moon" after you get married. You can even have baby characters. I haven't tried it though because i'm too busy boss hunting.


I'm not really a fan of 2D style MMOs or Point-and-click combat. Don't get me wrong, Ragnarok Online is the closest thing to Sword Art Online in terms of its features. But after watching the anime, you'll find yourself wanting more action when fighting a monster.

RaiderZ is a good game to look into, although it doesn't have most of the features I listed. It definitely has the Action-Oriented Combat, Open World, and Professions. Player-Killing is only possible in certain areas, unlike in SAO where every area is a PvP zone, except Town Areas. It doesn't have Marriage, Pets, and Player housing.


I won't be surprised if the author used RO as a template. The biggest hint here is Gleam Eyes(live inside the labyrinth) = Baphomet(lives inside the labyrinth forest aka Hidden Temple) both are Goat monsters.

Anyway it will take some time before we get to SAO-like technology. I expect that Blizzard's new MMO might take some features from SAO. Maybe in the next 10 years we will be able to make a device like the Nerv Gear. I've read an article about Sony patenting a technology where electromagnetic waves is used to manipulate a person's senses. So maybe creating a SAO like game is possible.
 
Sep 13, 2012 2:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 224
ravagestorm said:

I won't be surprised if the author used RO as a template. The biggest hint here is Gleam Eyes(live inside the labyrinth) = Baphomet(lives inside the labyrinth forest aka Hidden Temple) both are Goat monsters.


Both are inspired by the original ancient Greek myth of the Minotaur in the Labirynth...

Just sayin'
 
Sep 13, 2012 3:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 4237
Rohnin said:
Perhaps we should look into the MMORPG features seen in Sword Art Online:

- Action-Oriented Combat (NOT "watch your character and monster trade blows" combat)
- Open World
- Player Housing
- Professions (Blacksmithing/Cooking/Alchemy/etc.)
- Player-Killing
- Pets (for certain classes)
- Marriage/Couple System
- Ethics Code (if you know what I mean)

Feel free to add more to the list :)


You just described Runescape after EoC
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
 
Sep 13, 2012 3:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
Level based game with deaths that is harsh, well kind of harsh is found at
tibia

http://www.tibia.com
2d kind of game, but anyway allow me:
Rohnin said:
Perhaps we should look into the MMORPG features seen in Sword Art Online:

- Action-Oriented Combat (NOT "watch your character and monster trade blows" combat)
- Open World
- Player Housing
- Professions (Blacksmithing/Cooking/Alchemy/etc.)
- Player-Killing
- Pets (for certain classes)
- Marriage/Couple System
- Ethics Code (if you know what I mean)

Feel free to add more to the list :)

Action oriented, NO.
Open world, Check.
Player housing, Check.
Professions, Don't remember. Don't think so.
Player-Killing, Check
Pets, Yes sort of (summons)
Marriage/Couple System, Check.
Ethics Code, well nah different from server too server I guess.. Not 100% sure what ya mean.
---
So all in all, I wouldn't suggest it.
It will get boring for a lot of players and not at all feel like this game.
It is not fast paced and so on, and it is 2D.
Good games for some, that want to control stuff etc.

Anyway, what I do believe can be possible is making a mod for solo play in Skyrim for example.
Guess someone will eventually come up with something, shouldn't be too hard.


---
SUMMARY for the incoming wall of text:
A mix of Skyrim + Tibia.
Mmo and Pvp from Tibia, with some fixes obviously.
Level system from tibia, along with Skyrim skill systems with changes.
Gear system, profession system from Skyrim and more.
Open world from Skyrim with a tad mix of Tibia, and graphics & gameplay from Skyrim.
And a mix of monsters and areas from Tibia (dangerous ones, and bosses spawning, and what not)
- And you should have a really decent game.

Of course with a lot of added possibilities such as: arenas/duels/battlegrounds and decent raids/areas/instances, not exactly like WoW. Should be solo able aswell as party-able while still making it a challenge, such a Diablo3 party system works.
---


<WALL OF TEXT>

But what I want in a game to make it feel like SOA but still be play-able is:

Open world - Skyrim/World of Warcraft.
Graphics on the level of wow, gw2, skyrim.
And beeing able to play from a third person, such as in skyrim or even wow again. It works quite well, but I would say skyrim is the perfect one here to follow when it comes to graphics and gameplay ish.

Level system - that do not really get maxed out, but rather work like Diablo 3. Give you a small amount of extra health/mana/agi/str and so on for each level, and it is about skills and becoming a skilled player instead of just a high level, but a high level will idd help you survive and deal more damage.

Not that gear dependent - basically you can beat a fucking dragon in Skyrim at high level with low gear, but it is really hard. So some sort of Skyrim way of dealing with gear.
I mean, you've maybe heard of Demon's Souls. Skill over gear, but maybe not with such a high amount of death chance, or maybe. I will come back to it.
(The same goes for dark souls I guess)

Open world - Well as SOA, hard to say but skyrim with areas that is extreme making it sort of impossible to beat without reaching a gear level along with a certain level.
Not endless exploring, but I mean I do not say no thank you to some difference in levels or areas/dungeons.
Should be solo-able, or be party able. Meaning if you join as a party stuff will get a tad stronger, such as in Diablo 3, or something.

Player killing, and deaths in general -
Yes, pvp areas and safe areas. Tibia does it well actually, same as SOA basically.
If you die, you'd loose exp for your current level for example and such. And maybe loose your bag and so on, I do not vote for loosing eq's as it will make a lot of players leave easily.
Loosing experience for you current level will instead of downgrading you be along with loosing bags full of stuff be enough to avoid death in general.
An mmo WILL guaranteed when pvp is avaible be abused some, and pvp marks or player killing marks needs to exist.

Again tibia does it quite good when it comes to the system, allow me:
http://www.tibia.com/gameguides/?subtopic=manual§ion=combat#playerkilling
basically summarized:
If you kill, you get a skull/mark that lasts for a certain time, making you unable to log out while it lasts.
If you kill more then a certain number of players a day, you will get a skull/mark that makes you loose more upon death then a regular player (in this case: gear since you will not loose it otherwise, but since gear shouldn't be everything you can switch to less valuable gear and still be good to go sort of).
If you kill an extreme amount, you will no longer be able to kill non marked/skulled players for a few days or so. (45 days in tibia lol, that is extreme)
BUT if you got a mark or a skull, you should be able to defend yourself. So anyone attacking you will be marked only for you (yellow skull in tibia) making you able to kill him/her without getting more frags or harsher punishment.

This is something I would love to see, making death harsh but not so extreme and still making pvp fun if that is what people want.

Battlegrounds and arenas, I mean why not. They are lovely, and work well for wow from my point of view even if they can be unbalanced.
--

There is one thing I would not see, that is healers. No healers allowed, you can use potions and so on of course.

Oh and yes, I'm in the 3d/gaming/media industry on a regular basis, but I do not really work with games. Maybe some day next year when I get done with my bachelor degree, but I would love to see something like SOA but with pvp available and a huge world that is mainly based on skills not gear but some about level and gear.

</WALL OF TEXT>

:)

Meanwhile:
NNick said:

Lers recreate Aincrad in minecraft 1-100lvl :D

:p
Modified by Roari, Sep 13, 2012 3:58 PM
 
Sep 13, 2012 3:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 73
there is supposed to b an elder scroll mmo coming out in the near future and it sounds promising.






 
Sep 13, 2012 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
yea, it did seem sort of promising. I do hope it turns out something like my summery :p
 
Sep 13, 2012 10:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 151
There is a game called Raiderz. I havent played it as its in closed beta, but from the description it looks pretty close to SAO (no lockon combat, NO CLASSES, monster hunting based, etc) full description in my spoiler

 
Sep 13, 2012 10:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
Lineage 2 is very similar to SAO. Lots of grinding/crafting and stuff.
De geso.
 
Sep 13, 2012 10:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5206
Doesn't Mabinogi have all those housing, marriage and stuff.

jBui said:
There is a game called Raiderz. I havent played it as its in closed beta, but from the description it looks pretty close to SAO (no lockon combat, NO CLASSES, monster hunting based, etc)


RaiderZ HAS classes. The difference is though you can change your role if you want.(First time is free then it costs money I believe.)


Anywho I think Darkfall would be similar.. No real levels, can build transportation(Like giant ass boats for clans.), have Guild forts which can be raided by other clans and the biggest thing is you lose everything on death. So if you get killed someone can just come on by and take everything you are wearing and in your inventory as well. I think the combat is free as well.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
 
Sep 14, 2012 3:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 466
Pan151 said:

Both are inspired by the original ancient Greek myth of the Minotaur in the Labirynth...

Just sayin'


A minotaur is a humanoid bull not a goat though. Ragnarok Online is based on a manga inspired by Norse Mythology. If SAO was inspired by the Greek, Gleam Eyes should be a bull. One more thing. The labyrinth in SAO looks like some funky forest not a maze and where does Baphomet live again? In a Labyrinth Forest.
 
Sep 15, 2012 12:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 181
I think it would still be great if they made an mmo for it using motion sensors like the kinect or something.
 
Sep 15, 2012 1:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 774
James2705 said:
I think it would still be great if they made an mmo for it using motion sensors like the kinect or something.


MMORPGs based on a la kinect technology would be horrible failures. Motion-sensor is a transitional technology, kinda like Vista was - everyone hated it, but it was necessary.
Wait for brain-sensor based gaming. After all we already have prototypes in that field of technology coughnecomimicough, give it 5 to 10 more years.
"Apart from betraying her twice I have been so kind to that woman." — Archer
 
Sep 15, 2012 1:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 181
Tsundereppoi said:
James2705 said:
I think it would still be great if they made an mmo for it using motion sensors like the kinect or something.


MMORPGs based on a la kinect technology would be horrible failures. Motion-sensor is a transitional technology, kinda like Vista was - everyone hated it, but it was necessary.
Wait for brain-sensor based gaming. After all we already have prototypes in that field of technology coughnecomimicough, give it 5 to 10 more years.


I was thinking a more advanced version of it :), but yeah I hope this type of technology comes into reach soon, but even if it does I can see it having a huge pricetag :/.

anyways more on topic, the closest you can get to SAO is probably

GuildWars 2 (one time payment)
Tera (Monthly Payments)
RaiderZ (Free and looks promising but not released to public yet)
Continent of the ninth Seal (Free)
Modified by Kouhais, Sep 15, 2012 2:07 AM
 
Sep 15, 2012 2:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 774
James2705 said:


I was thinking a more advanced version of it :), but yeah I hope this type of technology comes into reach soon, but even if it does I can see it having a huge pricetag :/.


Who'd want to play games with only about 50-100 rich fags online?
"Apart from betraying her twice I have been so kind to that woman." — Archer
 
Sep 15, 2012 2:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 181
Tsundereppoi said:
James2705 said:


I was thinking a more advanced version of it :), but yeah I hope this type of technology comes into reach soon, but even if it does I can see it having a huge pricetag :/.


Who'd want to play games with only about 50-100 rich fags online?


Haha true, that's a good point there.
 
Sep 22, 2012 4:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 19636
James2705 said:

GuildWars 2 (one time payment)
Tera (Monthly Payments)
RaiderZ (Free and looks promising but not released to public yet)
Continent of the ninth Seal (Free)


You do know that apart from action combat it has absolutely nothing similar to SAO, right?

jBui said:
There is a game called Raiderz. I havent played it as its in closed beta, but from the description it looks pretty close to SAO (no lockon combat, NO CLASSES, monster hunting based, etc) full description in my spoiler



But RaiderZ has magic and its focus is mainly hunting things and using the things you acquire from hunting things to make better things.

ravagestorm said:
Pan151 said:

Both are inspired by the original ancient Greek myth of the Minotaur in the Labirynth...

Just sayin'


A minotaur is a humanoid bull not a goat though. Ragnarok Online is based on a manga inspired by Norse Mythology. If SAO was inspired by the Greek, Gleam Eyes should be a bull. One more thing. The labyrinth in SAO looks like some funky forest not a maze and where does Baphomet live again? In a Labyrinth Forest.


Gleam Eyes is a chimera.

eater_of_tacos said:
there is supposed to b an elder scroll mmo coming out in the near future and it sounds promising.


except that no , it does not.

Its yet another wow-knockoff of a famous franchise like TORtanic was.
 
Sep 22, 2012 1:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 45
There is something called an Oculus Rift 300$ - 500$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCwczY1jTM
There is something called the leap motion. 80$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA

We can expect a Sword Art Online experience within 3 years.
 
Sep 22, 2012 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 839
The occulus rift is probably the closest thing that exists in this world thats like sword art online but with so much developmen that has already been reached wit VR i wouldnt suprised that an actual VR MMORPG would be here in another decade or so which is around the same time as SAO is set all u guys out there have just to be patient but im sure it would be here soon
 
Sep 22, 2012 6:54 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 27
theblanksign said:
There is something called an Oculus Rift 300$ - 500$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCwczY1jTM
There is something called the leap motion. 80$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA

We can expect a Sword Art Online experience within 3 years.


The thing I see with this is you still have to move around and use your body as a controller with SAO your mind is the controller the nervgear stops all movement of your body and it reads your brain signals but doesn't let your body act on them.

Technology like that to read and act on brain signals exists but its very low tech, the most it can do is let a a paralysis person use a computer to move a mouse and stuff like that. It is nowhere near gaming ready for fast reflex actions. If were waiting for a true SAO experience it will be a whole lot more then 3 years.

 
Oct 7, 2012 3:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
So... Sword Art Online's now starting the Second Season, Alfheim Online. Now, the closest MMO game there is to Alfheim Online would either be Flyff or Aion because of the ability to fly.
 
Oct 7, 2012 6:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1326
not a MMO but

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES!
 
Oct 7, 2012 9:47 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1819
Nidhoeggr said:
I recommend you World of Warcraft, that way you can stay away from actual interesting titles such as Eve Online.
WoW is also ridicously easy, so you'll have no problems fitting in with all the 1337 kidz and h4xX0rs.


I'm a former WoW player, played till the end of Wrath, i don't see everyone in the server getting 10/25 man heroic lich king kills, or even seeing any heroic content passed gunship. Or hell, even clearing ulduar, trial of the grand crusader, hell, even naxx when they were relevant.
 
Oct 22, 2012 2:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
I was searching for an MMORPG similiar to SAO and i found a promising one:
Age of Wushu (or Wulin in Europe).
- The game doesn't have levels, character development is skill based. There are a lot of skills in-game that you can learn.
- The combat is action based, something like in RaiderZ, but uses a rock-paper-scissors system (3 type of skills: normal, faint, block -> faint > block > normal > faint or something like that)
- No magic skills, at least nothing like shooting ice and stuff.
- It is a martial arts based mmo with a lot of different weapons and skill sets.
- Your character stays online after you log out, and you will become an NPC. Based on where you logged out, your character will take on a job or go fishing etc. Others can even kidnap you while you are gone, making it more fun. Then they can sell you as slave or to a brothel :D Then you have to bribe/fight your way out :D
- Its a wuxia game, so running on water/walls, gliding through air (even aerial combat) is possible, which brings a lot of options into pvp.
- There are even hidden weapons, like the needles Kirito used on the Rabbit once.
- Open world. You can PvP/PK even in towns, but there is a jail system. You can even become a policeman to prevent crimes etc.
- Miracle events. It means something like SAO unique skills, you can unlock quests by being nice/rude to NPC's (they will remember what you did to them and they will have a bad or good opinion about you). You can get nice items or skills like that, and bcs the game world is so big, there is a chance you will be the only one to get them.
- I don't know about housing/marriage system, but the game is currently being prepared for a beta in europe/usa.
- Free to play, but its haven't released yet.
Latest trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RdPMG-6xmUA
EU version homepage:
http://en.wulin.gpotato.eu/intro1/
USA version homepage:
http://www.ageofwushu.com/

The game is already released in China.
 
Top
Pages (3) 0.8 [1.8] 2.8 »