Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 27, 2012 2:29 PM

May 2009
Mabinogi, you can become anything.

Oct 27, 2012 2:46 PM

Jan 2008
Shoryuuken said:
Mabinogi, you can become anything.

It even combines ALO. You can fly and play elves.
Oct 27, 2012 7:49 PM

Apr 2012
lionheart04 said:
Too bad there is no mmorpg that can make your own harem

Yeah that's too bad. Although it'd be creepy to add a bunch of girls to your harem and then find out they are guys...
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 27, 2012 8:28 PM

Aug 2011
Maplestory, my life kind of sucks.
Nov 23, 2012 3:30 AM
Nov 2012
Rohnin said:
Perhaps we should look into the MMORPG features seen in Sword Art Online:

- Action-Oriented Combat (NOT "watch your character and monster trade blows" combat)
- Open World
- Player Housing
- Professions (Blacksmithing/Cooking/Alchemy/etc.)
- Player-Killing
- Pets (for certain classes)
- Marriage/Couple System
- Ethics Code (if you know what I mean)

My Response-FlyingDonasaur, edited
I think Mabinogi would be an Ideal game for SAO lovers :)

Action Oriented Combat-Yes,fighting will indeed need skill, knowledge, intelligent and quick thinking.NOT a trade hit combat system.

Open World-Yes, free roaming,largely vast in my perspective, 2 continents( pretty large) and 1 island. (Other land still yet to be found by Milletians)

Player Housing-Yes, there are the Homesteads, and the neighborhoods next to the cities.

Professions-Yes, includes all listed above(in the quote)and many more.

Player Killing-Yes, there is 2 types: firstly, a dueling system, where players duel with optional rules that can be changed between the 2 players agreeing, with the damage change percentage;secondly, faction pvping: Between Elves and Giants, and/or Paladin and Dark Knight. Note these faction fighting may be turned off simply in the menu.

Pets-Yes, but since the game is free classed(not sure what the the actual term for it is, but basically there are no classes and you can be anything you want, though you may choose a job that aims for the specific skillset for that job,ex. Warrior to Smash, windmill, combat skills; Bard to instrument playing, Lullaby skill, etc.) there are no specific pets for classes, maybe a few.

Marriage/Couple system-Yes, there is this pretty cool marriage system with the bride and groom in the church, won't get too detailed about it but look it up. Couple system is include as well.

Ethic Code-Haha im not sure about that, you can get creative though, if you know what I mean..
haha, there is a family system though, where you can have children(hence its ageing system)and a wife/husband.

Mabinogi has an anime style to it, where characters are anime-like, favoring many anime-lovers. There is a great storyline to the game, giving you choices along the way, and giving you perks, such as new skills to guide you, transformations(Paladin, Dark Knight, Falcon(elves),and Beast(Giant). There is also the demi-god where you may turn into a half god, showing great power to the land of Erinn(the name of the world of mabinogi). The game's storyline bases on generations, where each one has it's unique background to it). Just a note, this was just a small welcoming to a cool game that SAO lovers may suggest, if you wish to know more, take time look into this game, and think about it. I've seen many SAO followers on mabinogi, and you may be one as well. :D

(please forgive my spelling, i am on an iPad and it trully is difficult D:)

I felt like this message was too fancey 8D
FlyingDonasaurNov 23, 2012 3:42 AM
Nov 23, 2012 6:28 PM

Jun 2009
Zanzie said:

The ONLY MMO I've played that was open.. and made you actually aim.. was TERA.

Play Dragon Nest.

You have to "Literally" aim every attacks via "Crosshair" cursor, just like a FPS.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2012 5:34 AM

Aug 2012
Most sensible answer on this forum - Guild Wars 2.
[url=myanimelist.net/profile/Stocky[/url]

My precious BB Code :(
Nov 24, 2012 1:28 PM

Jul 2007
AirStyles said:
Zanzie said:

The ONLY MMO I've played that was open.. and made you actually aim.. was TERA.

Play Dragon Nest.

You have to "Literally" aim every attacks via "Crosshair" cursor, just like a FPS.

half the MMO's released this and previous year work that way. Dragon Nest just masks the tab targeting with crosshair serving as mouse click. Its not even "true aiming" and so far there's no real open-world mmo that has correct aim system(Raiderz came pretty close, but even it is still quite zoned kind of game)

Stocky said:
Most sensible answer on this forum - Guild Wars 2.

Except that:

- Combat is nowhere near as fluid as needed for this kind of stuff and its the usual tab targeting.
- ITS NOT sandbox game, its a wow reskin.
- It does not have player housing.
- Aesthetically it looks nothing like SAO nor ALFheim.
- PK is a reserved to one boring big battleground they call worldvsworld.

Yeah, Guild Wars 2 is as far from SAO/ALFheim as a mmo can be.
Nov 25, 2012 11:14 AM

Jul 2012
SAO and ALO are pretty much high fantasy sandboxes.

That's the basis of what you will need to recreate the feel in a real world MMORPG.
Critic.
Nov 25, 2012 12:53 PM

Jul 2007
Niko-kun said:
SAO and ALO are pretty much high fantasy sandboxes.

That's the basis of what you will need to recreate the feel in a real world MMORPG.

Agreed. We will be having Archeage, Wulin, and Swordsman next year, which will be as close as one can get to those ideas, but even that is quite far from the SAO itself since for SAO-like game, it should practically be "EVE Online:high-fantasy version".
Nov 25, 2012 1:15 PM

Dec 2008
i think the close one now is dragon nest.. imo..
action-mmorpg (not click monster then watch your character beat the monster up...)

but it's dungeon based and not open world.. no housing, marriage, and its gender lock..

if u want pure action-mmorpg that come with house system, open world (can explore huge map and meet many other player and monster), not gender lock, has many race (like in ALO), have a dungeon (like labyrinth in SAO) and maybe a marriage system, u can wait for Elder Scroll Online (come out next year.. lol). but, ESO design is towards reality.. not anime based like dragon nest..

i play 2 games from elder scroll franchise (oblivion and skyrim).. and i love them all.. it have great aspect like i mention above.. and if it online.. i think it will be great...
look at this video.. for me, this game really promising..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJTsq2XeKY

P.S. oh yeah. it has an "all area PVP".. so you can do like laughing coffin do in SAO.. kill player that busy hunting, ambushing player with your friend, and many more..
hudangNov 25, 2012 1:58 PM

Nov 26, 2012 7:42 PM
Nov 2012
A game like sao for me would definitivelly be a game with only 1 class and you can personalise your character as you wish, so no base bonus, you can focus on whatever you want or play hybrid.

Personally, since finding a mmorpg exactly like sao is impossible, I'm searching for a mmorpg who have many skills and where you can use your stat as you wish, so you can make a dps swordman as well as any other thing. I'm tired of game where you only have 1 or 2 way to make your character to don't be useless...

Any idea of a mmorpg that look in some kind like this?
Nov 27, 2012 10:49 AM

Dec 2008
TlclT said:
A game like sao for me would definitivelly be a game with only 1 class and you can personalise your character as you wish, so no base bonus, you can focus on whatever you want or play hybrid.

Personally, since finding a mmorpg exactly like sao is impossible, I'm searching for a mmorpg who have many skills and where you can use your stat as you wish, so you can make a dps swordman as well as any other thing. I'm tired of game where you only have 1 or 2 way to make your character to don't be useless...

maybe u can try TESO like i said in previous post..
it didnt have a class restriction..
u can play whatever and whoever u want..

u can make swordmans who hold sword+shield that can use healing magic..
or a archer that also can shoot fireball..

there's nearly no restriction to build your character..

but.. its release date is still unknown.. hopefully it come earlier next year.. lol

Nov 27, 2012 7:54 PM
Nov 2012
TlclT said:

the game Mabinogi has a feature where you can become anything you want to. The game isn't class based, and there are no class restrictions(there are race restrictions(between elf, giant, and human)though some items can be shared between races, and there are gender restrictions) so basically you can be a swordsman, an archer, an alchemist, etc. at the same time. There are many skills as well, and you can change stats as you wish.
Nov 27, 2012 10:28 PM

Apr 2012
OP really should try out Runescape. The new EoC is basically SAO.

There's even dual wielding.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Nov 27, 2012 10:51 PM

Nov 2011
BloodRequiem said:

I was about to lol, but if you seriously think about it, aside from out-dated graphics and the combat system being different it can be seen as pretty similar. I mean you got yo stats, yo cooking, lumbering, crafting and so-on. You're not really bound to anything.(Can be whatever you want.) Runescape is more diverse though cuz magixx and archery.

Oh, plus Runescape has a pretty harsh death penalty, not like SAO's death penalty though . D:
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Nov 27, 2012 11:00 PM

Feb 2012
lionheart04 said:
Too bad there is no mmorpg that can make your own harem

there is.. Atlantica Online (AO).. u can form a team consist of all female mercenaries, except urself.. :3
Dec 4, 2012 9:17 AM

Oct 2009
There's going to be a SAO game. Just wait.
Dec 4, 2012 9:18 AM

Jan 2008
Jaedia said:
There's going to be a SAO game. Just wait.

Not gonna be anything like the actual anime/game.
Dec 4, 2012 9:28 AM

Oct 2009
Paul said:

Of course not, might even be just a simple RPG rather than a full blown MMO, but it'd sell.
Dec 4, 2012 9:33 AM

Oct 2012
TERA !
Jan 19, 2013 5:34 PM
Jan 2013
Dungeon Fighter Online is a game thats kind of like SAO. Its online, each class has a different customizable skillset, and you can set up guilds and parties to play in. there are huge towers you can challenge and try to climb up to get powerful items and the character's looks are customizable too (if you're willing to pay real money or a lot of ingame money in the Auction House) there's PVP and many varieties of enemies and locations to overcome. It is all in all, a fun game, its also constantly being updated, as well as free to play.

Also, if you have a DS emulator of some sort, then I recommend Etrian Odyssey as well, you go through floors in this game. The enemies are difficult to defeat and take patience, time, and tactics to defeat. A variety of classes are involved in the game and there isn't too much magic in it except for with a few classes. Sadly though, this game does not allow online play
Jan 19, 2013 6:31 PM

May 2012
probably Aion and Elsword Online
Jan 19, 2013 10:50 PM

Jun 2008
Ragix said:
BloodRequiem said:

I was about to lol, but if you seriously think about it, aside from out-dated graphics and the combat system being different it can be seen as pretty similar. I mean you got yo stats, yo cooking, lumbering, crafting and so-on. You're not really bound to anything.(Can be whatever you want.) Runescape is more diverse though cuz magixx and archery.

Oh, plus Runescape has a pretty harsh death penalty, not like SAO's death penalty though . D:

Just wait for JAGMotion!
Jan 21, 2013 10:55 AM

Aug 2012
Too bad GW2 is terrible.
Jan 21, 2013 7:21 PM

Nov 2008
Jaedia said:
Paul said:

Of course not, might even be just a simple RPG rather than a full blown MMO, but it'd sell.

A PSP game of SAO is already coming soon.

But not an MMO though.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 21, 2013 9:02 PM

Sep 2009
TERA.
<3
Jan 22, 2013 11:01 PM

Nov 2011
Pure Hack n Slash and high speed action MMO ?

Dragon Nest, obviously
Jan 23, 2013 1:17 AM

Jun 2009
tensaigandy said:
Pure Hack n Slash and high speed action MMO ?

Dragon Nest, obviously

This.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2013 1:20 AM

Feb 2012
New MMO Wizardly Online which has a perma death system

So hard no one in JP has reached the highest level yet. Suppose to come out the 30th this month.
Jan 23, 2013 2:00 AM

Jun 2009
MidnightPride said:
New MMO Wizardly Online which has a perma death system

So hard no one in JP has reached the highest level yet. Suppose to come out the 30th this month.

If there's a swordman class, start counting the numbers of characters name Kirito (May come with large variety)
Jan 27, 2013 12:29 PM

Jan 2013
The correct answer to this question is Tera.

The endgame sucks but the combat system is the only action based combat you'll find in mmos. You could also wait for Blade and Soul.

Tera goes f2p next month.

Or you could just buy the original .hack games.
Jan 30, 2013 4:37 AM

Mar 2012
Vindictus or C9 Continent of Ninth...both have good fighting system (not that crap like WOW just to click)
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Feb 3, 2013 1:38 PM
Dec 2012
I think your closest bet it TERA, and believe it or not, it's going free to play 5 feb.
Cheers
Feb 4, 2013 9:12 AM

Sep 2008
I can't decide between TERA and RaiderZ, can any one point out their cons/pros ?
The fact that Vindictus has no open world and is instanced kinda ruined it for me.
Feb 4, 2013 8:06 PM
Dec 2012
MMORPG destroys your soul.
Feb 5, 2013 4:27 PM
Jun 2011
Phantasy Star Online 2, US version is not yet out, but JP is, you can get english patch. Just google steps and directions, it's pretty damn close and good
Feb 5, 2013 4:33 PM
Dec 2012
In my opinion Dofus is almost exactly like it. Combat system, the world, housing, dungeons. Dofus also has a great art style that is pretty anime/cartoonish.

Edit: Heres a link http://www.dofus.com/en

Also the way EXP and Items are rewarded after combat is 100% exactly the same.
vectawrFeb 5, 2013 4:42 PM
Apr 24, 2013 5:35 PM
Apr 2013
LINEAGE II was mentioned before but never in much detail:

>>>>>>>>> Thats the important part:

The closest you get to SAO might actually be an older version of Lineage II possibly Chronicle 4 , Interlude or Freya these are still playable on private servers just google it. ^^

The PVP / PK system is nearly identical (and Im pretty sure thats where they borrowed it from) Its full of Grinds / Party Raids / Crafts (depending on class)

Theres great focus on party play (more then in any other mmo I'd say) Clans and alliances have greater impact on the overall game then in most others.

Differences:
no tower dungeons as main mechanic, however there is a huge tower called tower of insolence where you fight your way up to the boss from around lvl 50 to 75ish (depending on the chronicle your playing and your skill) and also Great boss battles.

More classes and of course mages as well which the original SAO doesn't have.
Crafting is mainly focused on one class, while fishing and other stuff can be done by all.

>>> Alternative >>>>>>>>>>>>

Another option would be AION but while it has a greater crafting focus it also brings faction play into it which kinda ruins the comparison. though you can fly like in Alfthingywhateverthename (episode 16+) and the crafting is actually quite detailed as well as a great and beautiful world..

>>>>Rambling >>>>>>>>>>>

Unfortunately no developer has yet had the guts to actually programm a rouge like MMORPG with a real engine, propper quests and bosses except for Realm Of The Mad God which is 8 bit... still great but ... not really what your looking for I guess.. also you will hardly find any proper MMORPG without magic users as they are most often needed for the ballance. forget about GW 2, WOW and such, none of those get anywhere near what sao is and are in essence different games completely
Apr 24, 2013 5:41 PM

Mar 2013
I don't know if it has already been mentioned but elder scrolls online might be good when it comes out.
Jun 23, 2013 10:34 AM

Apr 2013
Funny enough, the game that for me resembles SAO the most, and has not been mentioned yet is GunZ: The Duel.

GunZ might not be a very well know game, but after a sort of gaming career I must say it's unique. It started 2003 and was free to play, it never became popular and it wandered from one hosting company to another 3 times.

Anyways, as for the game: It's not a MMO actually. It's a multiplayer online third person shooter. So your probably wondering why I even brought it up.

Here's the thing:

-You're main weapon is actually a Sword. "What, but you just said shooter? and weapon > sword!"
Not in this game, no. Reason for this is a glitch in the game, a glitch that changed everything. "K-Style" was born. It was a fighting tecnique that combined weapong and sword at an impressive speed. The dificulty raises when you can't lock the target, accurate aiming is essential.

-Second most important thing to mention is the freedom that the game provided. It didn't have large worlds, like WOW, but maps like in Couter-Strike. Now I see you're beginning to doubt. But the size is not important, it's how you could move . You could move just like in SAO: dash right dash left, jump up, jump down, in all directions. Remember Kirito trapped in that dragon-nest with Lizbeth? and how he tried to run his way up? You can do that exact in Gunz. You could practically fly. Slash the walls to bounce of them and never had to touch the ground. Gravity faded depending on your speed.
Personally, I must say that feeling was amazing and no other game, as good as technology has evolved, has ever given me that feeling of freedom, of "virtual reality". Add to that K-Style, that gave you even more molbitiy, since it was not only a fighting tecnique but also for smart movement/mobility tecnique.

-At first it was only PvP but Quest Modes where added, so you had to party up to beat gigant Bosses.

-Played it for many years, but the appeal on the game grew bigger on the that the target of lvling up. I played mostly for having fun, doing random stuff, inventing games and such than leveling was only tertiary.

So the first two reasons are the most important on my argument. If you'd "fusion" GunZ with a "true" MMO like TERA you would have SAO, i'm sure of that.

For those that are interested, GunZ's actual server now is Aria. Gunz 2 is coming up soon in steam but from what I've read, it will lose the essence (which is K-Style).

You'd expect me to recommend this game but it would not be wise. It's an extremely noob-un-friendly game. Moreso than Dota. The few that still play it have such high skills, it'd be futile.

Oh there comes another similarity to my mind: Skill is imperative.

-A LVL 5 player that has the proper skills will BEAT THE LIVING SHIT out of you even if he/she's with no armor (naked) and you are LVL 80 with full armor but haven't played more than 3-5 months.

Interested to see if anyone here has played and if they agree or not, and if not, why not.
XanderssonJun 23, 2013 10:39 AM
Jun 23, 2013 4:21 PM
Jun 2013
Lol check out this video a console type eadband that reads brainwaves. i have seen something else like this and re playing games with it. but back to what i was gonna say
this combind with the Oculus Rift = Diamond

Check out the link and skip to 3:50 or watch the whole thing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=fVhggGSjXVg#at=234
Jul 4, 2013 3:34 AM
Jul 2013
Ok, so I registered here only to give you people what you are looking for so long. I have played almost all mmo's out there. Only game, that have all (rly?) futures of swords art online is Ultima Online. Besides fact that you can kill anybody, anywhere, you can also LOOT EVERYTHING THEY HAD ON THEM IN MOMENT OF DEATH. Yup, all armor, everything. Only place for safe keeping is bank, which has limitation on how much you can store there. There are 20-30+ different skills, all of which can be trained to up 100%. The more you use that skill, the better you become with it. No classes, meaning you can become mage, knight, assasin, crafter etc in one character. Since items are player crafted and looted from dead players this game have player driven economy. Crafter with blacksmithing/mining on 100% will be very popular. I wont go telling all features, but just know this- BEST PVP GAME WITH BEST PVP SYSTEM OUT THERE, hands down. This game is one of its kind. Its so similar to swords art online Im almost sure they stole this idea from ultima online. If you love SAO and havent played ultima, go kill yourself, couz ur missing out best time of your life.

http://uo.theabyss.eu/?shard
ultimistJul 4, 2013 3:40 AM
Jul 3, 2014 1:10 PM

Feb 2010
Xandersson said:
GunZ(...)Interested to see if anyone here has played and if they agree or not, and if not, why not.

I've been playing on free server, Evil gunz. I think this server is gone.
Well... it was kind of fun. You could get anywhere. Mentioned K-style was something hard to do but it was so much fun when you succeed. It was fun to bounce over walls. Or walk on walls. I liked that it has lots of different weapons: bazooka, katanas, kodachi, "sniper guns", automatic guns and some more. So aside PVP, there were lots of ways to kill monsters.

I remember S4 league was similar to Gunz.

ps. I have seen Age of wullin. I haven't tested it (8GB is too much now) but it seems to have lots of fights/flyings.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.