Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 12, 2012 1:58 PM

Mar 2012
^ Kinda sad it isn't red though... :(
End Zionazism
Aug 12, 2012 2:10 PM

Apr 2011
That episode was sick. I was taken by complete surprise of how violent this was. I expected the usual Shounen stuff, but some of this compare to F/Z and FMA: BH gore scenes, which is like R17+

It's some years since I've watched the original anime, but was it this awesome and violent?

5/5
Aug 12, 2012 3:17 PM

Jan 2012
Yeah it's pretty awesome. You'll notice the differences though. I can certainly say 2011 has more scenes with blood in it. This episode was better executed then the 1999 IMO.
Aug 12, 2012 3:44 PM

Aug 2012
Mikasa said:
^ Kinda sad it isn't red though... :(

I think the new color is refreshing, though in general, I like red more.
Aug 12, 2012 4:21 PM

Oct 2011
WOW! if i dare say that was better than the manga AND the 1999 version!
Aug 12, 2012 6:50 PM
Oct 2011
2011 was better in:
-the actual auction attack (it was rushed and more censored in 1999)
-many parts of uvogin's rampage (his laughing, the neck-snapping of the mafia, killing the sniper dude and others)

1999 handled the rest better

anyway, voted 4/5
chikkychappyAug 12, 2012 8:35 PM
Aug 12, 2012 6:58 PM

May 2011
Best episode of HxH yet. My jaw literally on the floor. It got dislocated. Had to go to the ER. So good. 10/5. Just so amazing.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 12, 2012 9:00 PM

Jul 2010
Aweeesome! I have a feeling the shadow beasts won't win though :( At least it'll give Kurapika a chance to shine though with his anger at the Phantom Troupe! (can't wait until he finds out <3)

Uwaa~ the neck-snapping made me cringe though >.< *shudder*
Aug 12, 2012 9:32 PM

Aug 2010
GAAH I WANT THE NEXT EPISODE HERE!!!

Such a bloody episode, this is a level of DBZ already AND IT'S AWESOME!!
Aug 13, 2012 1:51 AM

Jan 2011
Yeah! HxH always manage to bring up the excitement with its strategy.

Also, Dememe-chan is cute :3
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Aug 13, 2012 2:25 AM
Sep 2010
coldwave said:
People who create Hunterpedia shorts have some twisted sense of humor. I'm not even talking about shota-fanservice. But 'introducing' a character right after she bites the dust? I feel bad for laughing.

It is Han Megumi and Ise Mariya, the voice actresses for Gon and Killua, who create the Huncyclopedia segments. Well, not the animation itself of course, but they come up with the scenario and the lines, and then it is animated according to what they wrote. They do draw the whiteboard doodles themselves. They've talked about this in their weekly radio show and in a special 'behind the scenes' TV program about the new HxH anime.

So make of that what you want... XD
Aug 13, 2012 4:49 AM

Jul 2011
Woah so much blood, this is definitely one of the best arcs.
Aug 13, 2012 4:59 AM

Mar 2012
Awesome, quality increase after this arc begins. Hunterpedia was funny too. Deserved 10/10 now imho..
Claude_KennyAug 13, 2012 5:02 AM
Keep moving forward
Aug 13, 2012 5:08 AM
Apr 2010
Mamoru Miyano as Kuroro? That's epic
Aug 13, 2012 7:45 AM

Jun 2011
Aug 13, 2012 8:30 AM

Aug 2012
willeke91 said:
coldwave said:
People who create Hunterpedia shorts have some twisted sense of humor. I'm not even talking about shota-fanservice. But 'introducing' a character right after she bites the dust? I feel bad for laughing.

It is Han Megumi and Ise Mariya, the voice actresses for Gon and Killua, who create the Huncyclopedia segments. Well, not the animation itself of course, but they come up with the scenario and the lines, and then it is animated according to what they wrote. They do draw the whiteboard doodles themselves. They've talked about this in their weekly radio show and in a special 'behind the scenes' TV program about the new HxH anime.

So make of that what you want... XD

knowing that definitely makes it easier for me to consider it non-canon and more like a fan(girl) segment xD
Aug 13, 2012 12:03 PM

Dec 2011
This episode was really great.Can't wait for next week!

fishergirl16 said:
Aweeesome! I have a feeling the shadow beasts won't win though :( At least it'll give Kurapika a chance to shine though with his anger at the Phantom Troupe! (can't wait until he finds out <3)

I feel the same here!I wonder what Gon,Kil and Leorio will do though.
Aug 13, 2012 1:41 PM

Mar 2012
No episode on 26th, so after 44 we'll have a break...sheeeiiiit
End Zionazism
Aug 13, 2012 6:32 PM

Oct 2011
I'm loving the Phantom Troupe's voice casts. Mamoru Miyano as Kuroro Lucifer is freaken great!

Aug 13, 2012 11:00 PM
Feb 2012
Monad said:
huntx said:
) didn't feel as epic as it was on 99 version, maybe fillers helped carry it better.

Exactly, the director was clever on that one. He had good realization that two different mediums are not the same thing and put his hand on the right places so he can built tension and put the feeling of the manga on the anime or even improve it. I don't expect though that all the manga religious fanatics to get it since they think that an anime should be showing panel to panel with the manga and they see every difference as defect even if it isn't.

Yes, because wanting an adaptation to actually follow the source material
makes us "manga religious fanatics." What a load of crock.

You know why we want it shown "panel to panel".
Because the manga is friggin AWESOME.

Take Flesh Collector's Mansion.

In the 99 series we already know Kurapika is a badass because
of the filler train scene. The attack is told before hand and we
have to wait around for a few minutes until some crappy fighters
get beat up by Kurapika so he can look cool.

In the manga we don't have much idea of Kurapika's strength.
We get a hint that he's learned some nen (I think Hatsu) but
it doesn't tell us a whole lot. We have no idea about the chains.
Heck we are wondering "do those serve a purpose or are they
just fashionable?" The answer is both. It seems like they just
go in for the interview and then go out to get the items...
When out of nowhere there's a sneak attack by black cloaked
figures! Even the butler gets shot to death. Kurapika is
determined and about to do some kind of attack.
Is it the new chains he got? What do they do?
And will it work? Will Kurapika survive this sudden attack?
And who are these sudden attackers anyways?

And there's bunch more other examples.

I'm sorry but 1999 version doesn't hold a candle to the manga.
Aug 13, 2012 11:15 PM

Dec 2007
Fantastic episode. I absolutely loved this arc, can't wait for more.
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]
Aug 14, 2012 12:07 AM

Oct 2009
mrsticky005 said:

Eh, opinions. I thought that train scene was great. It added to the setting, the tone and characters and it took just couple of minutes, really. It was a filler, yes, but filler is not always a bad thing, small things like this helped to set a stage for what happened later. In 2011 we got a longer "kurapika meets his teacher" scene that wasn't needed at all and characters are teleporting all over the place randomly becasue MADHOUSE have no time to flesh out the setting. That is an opinion too.
coldwaveAug 14, 2012 12:24 AM
Aug 14, 2012 12:44 AM

Jan 2012
coldwave said:
mrsticky005 said:

Eh, opinions. I thought that train scene was great. It added to the setting, the tone and characters and it took just couple of minutes, really. It was a filler, yes, but filler is not always a bad thing, small things like this helped to set a stage for what happened later. In 2011 we got a longer "kurapika meets his teacher" scene that wasn't needed at all and characters are teleporting all over the place randomly becasue MADHOUSE have no time to flesh out the setting. That is an opinion too.

Yeah madhouse knows they don't need to flesh out the story because it flesh's out itself. MH actually paying attention on how the source material is handling the story. The 1999 was showing shit that was gonna be shown later. So yeah i disagree with 100% of what you say. Fursashi thought he had to flesh out things because he didn't understand the story and it's message. Mrsticky pointed out one of the reasons already. Manga is straight to the point.The 1999 spoils and sometimes ruins what togashi had intended.

Example, The fight between Hisoka and Gon. The 1999 put this as one of the first fights in heavens arena arc. The manga put it as the last fight. Do you know why the manga did this? It did this because this was the actual climax of the arc. It tied everything together from the hunter exam up until that point. Gon punching Hisoka was suppose to speak thousands exactly how the 2011 anime had it, but oh no Fursashi didn't want to end with gon losing a fight as a climax of a arc. It comes off so wrong.

I don't disagree with all filler being bad but sometimes it isn't needed.
Aug 14, 2012 1:25 AM

May 2010
^ Heh, between a scene that demonstrates Kurapika's abilities before the arc and multiple scenes of Kurapika repeatedly reciting how he hated Geneiryodan while horrible upbeat bgm plays, I wonder which filler isn't needed. I don't love every filler from the old anime, but this version wasted just as much time for unimportant scenes. And we haven't even talked about the recap episodes yet, or Hunterpedia of characters that are permanently gone.

Going back on the episode, it's quite surprising that they had that much gore this time. It wasn't the most sickening thing I've seen, and deme-chan's colors make it a little less badass, but I wasn't expecting to get a close shot of it eating a man. I guess expecting less also has an advantage.

Also, it makes me wonder why blood is so much a big deal in anime. To me it's just spilled ink lol. What needs censorship are scenes like when Uvo bitchslapped that guy's head 90 degrees. I actually thought they would skip that.
stormgoddessAug 14, 2012 1:30 AM
Aug 14, 2012 5:38 AM
Oct 2011
dont read the manga lol and enjoy the show
Aug 14, 2012 5:49 AM

Aug 2012
stormgoddess said:
Also, it makes me wonder why blood is so much a big deal in anime. To me it's just spilled ink lol. What needs censorship are scenes like when Uvo bitchslapped that guy's head 90 degrees. I actually thought they would skip that.

The reason I like blood in anime is because (to me) it makes things prettier somewhat. :P It's like water but it's red.
Aug 14, 2012 5:53 AM
Oct 2011
meshimoon said:
stormgoddess said:

The reason I like blood in anime is because (to me) it makes things prettier somewhat. :P It's like water but it's red.

doesn't it?
Aug 14, 2012 6:03 AM

Mar 2012
Blood makes it real, w/o it I don't buy that they are injured and it's worse in a series where people don't die

HxH officially has all the ingredients as of now
End Zionazism
Aug 14, 2012 6:43 AM

Oct 2009
noonealive said:
Yeah madhouse knows they don't need to flesh out the story because it flesh's out itself.

Wait what? Madhouse works with the source material all the time exactly to flesh things out, they have to. Madhouse add and remove or change things every episode. Sometimes it fits, sometimes not really. It's subjective, of course. Like, it was a nice touch to show the guy who ended up on that painting in the Flesh Collectors Mansion( at least I think it was him). Scene had a purpose, for example we are reminded that Nostrad Family are not exactly good guys, it seems some people never got that part and the fact that it's a big thing for Kurapika to work for people like them even if he has his reasons to do so.

But that monologue in the forest? Nope, that wasn't good at all. Madhouse wasted a minute or two on things we knew already. Hell, if that monologue took place in the city, it would have been fine as we had very little screen time of Yorkshin and I think it's a big flaw, but no. Wasted opportunity.

noonealive said:
Manga is straight to the point.

Depends on your point of view, I guess. I'd say it's pretty damn barebones at times.

noonealive said:
Fursashi thought he had to flesh out things because he didn't understand the story and it's message.

I was talking about the setting, characters and the general tone but whatever. Tell me about a story, pelase. What is the message you are speaking of? I'd like to hear.

noonealive said:
So yeah i disagree with 100% of what you say..

Good.
Aug 14, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2011
Liked it
Aug 14, 2012 11:05 AM

Jan 2012
stormgoddess said:
^ Heh, between a scene that demonstrates Kurapika's abilities before the arc and multiple scenes of Kurapika repeatedly reciting how he hated Geneiryodan while horrible upbeat bgm plays, I wonder which filler isn't needed. I don't love every filler from the old anime, but this version wasted just as much time for unimportant scenes. And we haven't even talked about the recap episodes yet, or Hunterpedia of characters that are permanently gone.

Going back on the episode, it's quite surprising that they had that much gore this time. It wasn't the most sickening thing I've seen, and deme-chan's colors make it a little less badass, but I wasn't expecting to get a close shot of it eating a man. I guess expecting less also has an advantage.

I wasn't bothered by the bgm nor how Kurapika is being depicted. Like i said the story flesh's out itself, it isn't suppose to give you a true idea of whats going on and thats what i get from the manga. So Kurapika meeting his teacher is unimportant? I'm sure people would want to know how they stumbled across each other... which is in cannon fiiler. In cannon filler is better than made up bullshit thats gonna be demonstrated later.But whatever to each their own.
Aug 14, 2012 11:37 AM

Jan 2012
coldwave said:
Wait what? Madhouse works with the source material all the time exactly to flesh things out, they have to. Madhouse add and remove or change things every episode. Sometimes it fits, sometimes not really. It's subjective, of course. Like, it was a nice touch to show the guy who ended up on that painting in the Flesh Collectors Mansion( at least I think it was him). Scene had a purpose, for example we are reminded that Nostrad Family are not exactly good guys, it seems some people never got that part and the fact that it's a big thing for Kurapika to work for people like them even if he has his reasons to do so.

I don't disagree with you that madhouse also took it's own liberties with the story. Like you said this topic is subjective, but IMO the scenes you seen wasted wasn't how i saw it. Maybe they did drag out certain monologues because this series is filled with em. If MH thinks that only kids are watching this show, than i would understand the over exposition in some scenes.Again, we have different perspectives when it comes to the story.

coldwave said:

I have no idea what your talking about.

coldwave said:

Again, much of what you say is not gonna change anything. Apparently you know what was an wasted opportunity. I could point out many wasted opportunities in the 1999 but since it wasn't faithful to the source material than i can give it an exception because furshashi didn't understand shit.. like i pointed out with the Heaven's arena arc.

coldwave said:
Depends on your point of view, I guess. I'd say it's pretty damn barebones at times.

Doesn't bother me.

coldwave said:
I was talking about the setting, characters and the general tone but whatever. Tell me about a story, pelase. What is the message you are speaking of? I'd like to hear.

I was talking about that actual intention of the story, again like i pointed out with the fight between the Hisoka and Gon, there was an actual point to it, not just some fight that meant nothing to Gon's character. The narrator even pointed out the message to you in the 2011 anime. "Gon finished his objective even though he had lost" Arc finishes. Thats the message.... he didn't care that he lost even though he came to accomplish something as minuscule as that.It's pretty black and white.

The 1999 took the liberty to take out the Kastro Vs Hisoka fight, which was the fight that really defined how Hisoka really is. They probably took it out because Hisoka was fuckin around with the guy and i could understand. Again, you can tell the 1999 focused more on Kurpika's story because look how the york shin turned out. Mostly faithful to the source material and understood how the story was suppose to turn out, thats how i see it.Congrats to Fursashi!

coldwave said:
Good

Good.
noonealiveAug 14, 2012 11:40 AM
Aug 14, 2012 11:52 AM

Jan 2011
Mind if I compare to 1999 one?
I am sooooooo glad that Feitan voice actor is a guy in 2011 xD 1999 one sound like some old lady voice, don't you think so? And also his character design became much better =) Well he look better in manga, Chimera arc though.

I really don't like Shalnark voice in 2011 though :( And I think Kuroro's voice in 1999 suit him better.
I like Machi character design + voice more in 1999 than 2011... compare:

Machi look like a little girl in 2011... Sorry for the big sized image, took it directly from wikia, don't know how to/or if there's function to resize it in myanimelist and post it with the direct link ><

But these will never stop me to give a 5/5 to this episode of course xD
hokaruAug 14, 2012 11:59 AM
Aug 14, 2012 12:29 PM

Jun 2012
coldwave said:
mrsticky005 said:

Actually that training scene isn't random/filler. In the manga it was placed in the middle of a fight between Kurapika/Uvogin. So when Madhouse adapts that fight in a couple episodes it will be a straight fight without flashbacks. Not an opinion btw.....

Edit: This version of HxH is supposed to be akin to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. As faithful to the manga as it can be while fleshing out points that might not have been done as well in the manga.

Example: Showing Hisoka rapeface whenver Chrollo addresses the Troupe

Whenever this version adds filler, it is fleshing out the main plot points of the story arcs not the world or the characters which is a difference people can mix up
HybridMBLAug 14, 2012 12:39 PM
Aug 14, 2012 12:36 PM

Oct 2008
OMG this episode was violent as hell. It seems that from now on this version will be more violent than the old one (and nearly any other shonen anime for that matter). And to think this is broadcasted in Japan on Sunday mornings lol.
Aug 14, 2012 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
coldwave said:
mrsticky005 said:

Actually that training scene isn't random/filler. In the manga it was placed in the middle of a fight between Kurapika/Uvogin. So when Madhouse adapts that fight in a couple episodes it will be a straight fight without flashbacks. Not an opinion btw.....

Edit: This version of HxH is supposed to be akin to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. As faithful to the manga as it can be while fleshing out points that might not have been done as well in the manga.

Whenever this version adds filler, it is fleshing out the main plot points of the story arcs not the world or the characters which is a difference people can mix up

Mrsticky knows that the training wasn't random filler, he wasn't talking about that. The 1999 only put it in the beginning of the arc because their intention was to give Kurpika's the main seat in this arc. The manga had it differently because Kurpika's plot wasn't the only plot that was progressing. 1999 made it look more Karipikacentric, the manga didn't.
=[]
noonealiveAug 14, 2012 2:37 PM
Aug 14, 2012 2:47 PM

Jun 2012
noonealive said:
Hybridbloodszak said:
coldwave said:
mrsticky005 said:

Mrsticky knows that the training wasn't random filler, he wasn't talking about that. The 1999 only put it in the beginning of the arc because their intention was to give Kurpika's the main seat in this arc. The manga had it differently because Kurpika's plot wasn't the only plot that was progressing. 1999 made it look more Karipikacentric, the manga didn't.
=[]

That comment was to Coldwave not mrsticky who from the comment seen didn't know Kurapikas training flashback was part of the manga and not filler
Aug 14, 2012 4:04 PM

Jan 2012
Hahah dam, the quoting in this forum confuses the shit out of me sometimes. Gahh leeeee geeeeepers...
Aug 15, 2012 8:19 AM

Feb 2012
i love the episode and i loved hunterpedia <3
Aug 15, 2012 1:52 PM

Jul 2009
One of the greatest anime arcs of all time in my opinion. It's amazing to see it in full swing with the improved modern animation.
Aug 16, 2012 2:55 AM

Jan 2012
I COULD NOT LIKE THIS SERIES ANYMORE THAN I DO NOW.
Aug 16, 2012 10:00 AM

Apr 2011
Rating: PG-13 my ass
Aug 17, 2012 1:36 AM

May 2011
What's wrong with kids watching heads flying and pools of blood?

Grow up!

xD
Aug 17, 2012 1:40 AM

Oct 2011
Even those Wild Beast will not defeat one guy from phantom group ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2012 3:04 AM
Dec 2011
Killua kissed Gon and Gon loved it. Killua was staring at Gon wanting it.
Gon X Killua Official as well as Gon X Hisoka triangle love.
Aug 18, 2012 10:24 AM

Jan 2012
^It's not cannon... lol The segment is done by the seiyus of Killua and Gon... =[]
Aug 18, 2012 10:26 AM
Mar 2012
enough with the gay filler scenes, we already have that pedophile
Aug 18, 2012 11:12 AM

Feb 2012
Shaduge said:
enough with the gay filler scenes, we already have that pedophile

Implying that gay and pedophile are on the same line.

The former isn't anything to complain about.
Aug 18, 2012 11:49 AM
Sep 2010
noonealive said:
^It's not cannon... lol The segment is done by the seiyus of Killua and Gon... =[]

Not only to you, but to everyone who's been saying "lol it's not canon" about the chibi segments...

I guess it depends on what your definition of 'canon' is, but... The seiyuu are just as much part of the 'official' staff as the animators, scriptwriters, etc... so the chibi segment is just as much 'canon' as the rest of the anime adaptation. It's true that Gumi and Riya are the ones coming up with the scenario for those segments, but as a voice actor you can't just say whatever the heck you want. Before they can animate it and put it in the episode, it first has to be approved by the director and original creator... So if Togashi didn't want it in there, he wouldn't have approved it in the first place. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean it's not part of an official production. ^^;
Aug 18, 2012 12:04 PM

Aug 2012
^ I think when they say it's not canon, they mean that whatever's in the Huncyclopedia section doesn't affect the content of the episodes or the plot or development or anything. It's completely separate from the actual story.
And it's more like the seiyuus were just given their own segment to do whatever they wanted, and apparently they're shippers.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

62 by omorashi »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.