Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 13, 2008 4:54 AM

Jun 2008
kuroshiroi said:
This show sure is interesting and I stick with my earlier catchphrase: "Shana for grownups." This actually looks much better than Shana so I'm definately watching till the end.

i fail to see how Shana is 'kiddy' >_>

great episode, awesome action, animation and music <3

cant wait for more
Oct 13, 2008 5:02 AM

Apr 2008
The battle was awwwsome =D Animation at its best
This is getting very interesting
Oct 13, 2008 5:21 AM

Feb 2008
kuroshiroi said:
This show sure is interesting and I stick with my earlier catchphrase: "Shana for grownups." This actually looks much better than Shana so I'm definately watching till the end.

Lol, this show is just as "kiddy" as SnS is. In fact, SnS was even darker at the beginning than this show.
Oct 13, 2008 5:29 AM

Aug 2008
Veronin said:
kuroshiroi said:

Lol, this show is just as "kiddy" as SnS is. In fact, SnS was even darker at the beginning than this show.
Is that a good thing? I always found that the underlying plot of SnS offended my logic. Not that it didn't make sense, and the first few eps were good, but no suspension of disbelief would allow me to subconsciously accept someone simply didn't exist anymore.
TAMnI isn't dark right from the beginning, so the story will be able to progress in a much more natural fashion.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 13, 2008 5:47 AM

Feb 2008
If Index is for adults, Shana is for teenagers. Not kids...
This was just a catchphrase and as we all know, catchphrases are often stone-cold lies :)

Facts to support my catchphrase

• The protagonist is not a teenage bitch, though he is a teenager.
  • Index is almost dead and Touma can't do anything about it. Very nicely done, btw.
  • No love triangle that I can forsee --> Hopefully no whiny Yuji-style Touma. (I'm well aware that TAMnI has just started so this might change but as it stands it's not likely)

I'd like to hear some facts on why Shana is not for kids, please :)
Oct 13, 2008 5:55 AM

Feb 2008
kuroshiroi said:

Well for one, SnS is a seinen and is meant to appeal to an older audience than shounen. It's darker, the whole torch aspect of the show is not something that most kids would enjoy. Overall, it's a pretty dark show, and it's definitely not kiddy, nor is it exactly on the same level as something like Evangelion either, but it is definitely a lot more mature than most shounen.

I'd say SnS is something that was probably aimed at 15-30 year olds. It has its light hearted aspects, but overall, it's not a kiddy show. Same goes for this show, they're both not meant to appeal to little children.

Also, I know I'm lacking more evidence, but I'm too lazy right now =P . Still, I don't really see how it can be considered a kiddy show.
VeroninOct 13, 2008 6:37 AM
Oct 13, 2008 6:25 AM

Oct 2007
the artwork kinda reminded me of bleach... anyone aware of that? well, the eyes is more attractive though
Oct 13, 2008 6:34 AM

Jun 2008
Holy fucking shit, this episode kicked some MAJOR ass. The animation was simply amazing, the music was great and I gotta say, I absolutely loved the punch scene. I'm having a hard time choosing the best show of the season, this or Clannad: AS. They're pretty damn close to eachother in awesomeness.
Oct 13, 2008 9:18 AM

Nov 2007
loving it so far. the fight was intense and well done. i like the pacing also. i havnt read the manga yet but i like the pacing. they can slow it down a little and it would still be good.

i wonder if touma will be able to develop his cancelling god arm to do other things.
Oct 13, 2008 11:04 AM

Jul 2008
kuroshiroi said:
If Index is for adults, Shana is for teenagers. Not kids...
This was just a catchphrase and as we all know, catchphrases are often stone-cold lies :)

Facts to support my catchphrase

• The protagonist is not a teenage bitch, though he is a teenager.
  • Index is almost dead and Touma can't do anything about it. Very nicely done, btw.
  • No love triangle that I can forsee --> Hopefully no whiny Yuji-style Touma. (I'm well aware that TAMnI has just started so this might change but as it stands it's not likely)

For the love triangle I can really foresee the psychic girl from the first eps, Index and the guy.
Well tough I'm a Shana fan I must admit that this show look a bit more mature but don't be fooled by only 2 eps, it can always turn into something less mature.
Shana at start was way darker than Index and way mature, it's not because a character is whiny that it's for kid.

Yep To aru majutsu no index and Ef ~ A tales of melodies are the two best show this season for me.
Oct 13, 2008 11:52 AM

Aug 2008
I looked up the phrase "omfg incredible EPIC SHIT" in the vocabulary, and the title of this show came up. I mean goddammit this episode was huge or what?!

Amazing fight, gorgeous animation, superb music, great characters (smoking-drinking bunny ftw!!), and I love it how they show the negative aspects of the godhand(tm). Oh and can't get enough of that OP!

I said it once, I'll say it a few more times: BEST SHOW THIS SEASON! Pure awesomeness! 10/10 so far.

Ehh, I gonna get some pills to chill down..
Oct 13, 2008 11:54 AM

Apr 2007
cyruz said:
I love this. Animation was great, the fight looked really good. I can't wait for more. The loli teacher makes me crack up everytime she's on screen, so moe.

seconded everything there. sensei was just unbearably moe in that bunny pajamas >3<
Oct 13, 2008 12:13 PM

Nov 2007
noelhoi said:
cyruz said:
I love this. Animation was great, the fight looked really good. I can't wait for more. The loli teacher makes me crack up everytime she's on screen, so moe.

seconded everything there. sensei was just unbearably moe in that bunny pajamas >3<

who just happens to be a chain smoker and an alcoholic all at the same time. :D
Oct 13, 2008 12:42 PM

Jul 2008
Awesome, love all the red haired prettysexiness =3
The fight was amazing, even though i totally didnt expect Touma to come up with something this smart XD

Oct 13, 2008 12:50 PM

Aug 2007
God, I will watch the rest of this series simply for the drinking and smoking loli teacher in bunny pajamas. Fuck. Yes. Do want.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Oct 13, 2008 1:06 PM

Jul 2007
THIS. SHOW. IS. EPIC.

- epic fight(although that punch in the end was a bit of a let down. dude, you just dodged his first punch easily :| why get knocked out by his second?!)
- epic loli. loli teacher smoking and drinking beer is epic.
- index reciting lines from books right off the bat is epic @_@
- hot girl with katana and hot legs is hot.
- as for the love triangle, i foresee a tsundere air with misaka so she might be part of that triangle(not that i'd want a love triangle or even a love story to begin with. but if they can pull it off, why not? :P)
- no whiny weaksauce male lead. he does whine about his powers, but he does something about it(although that could be said with yuuji too...but still)

in any case. EPIC SHOW IS EPIC.
Oct 13, 2008 1:36 PM
Sep 2007
Eternal_Blaze said:
Great episode. Maybe I should start reading the manga...

Now I'm glad I actually decided to give this one a try.

Same here, wasn't expecting much from this series. Really good so far.
Oct 13, 2008 1:47 PM

Aug 2007
GOLDEN episode. It was really great.

The loli teacher is a bit annoying but still, great.
Oct 13, 2008 1:50 PM

Aug 2008
YumeNoTsuzuki said:
The fight was amazing, even though i totally didnt expect Touma to come up with something this smart XD
Well, we've already seen that he's quite a bit more reliable than your typical protagonist-in-the-first-few-eps...
corroded said:
- no whiny weaksauce male lead. he does whine about his powers, but he does something about it(although that could be said with yuuji too...but still)
... and unlike Yuuji, Touma manages hold his own in battle by episode 2, rather than episode 15+.

[bored, thus lurking]

Oct 13, 2008 2:19 PM

Jun 2007
awesome.
easily, one of the best anime this season.
the animation was really fluid, the art was awesome, and the fighting/fire scenes were superb.
the action was so good, my pc wasn't able to keep up with it, and lagged for a lot of scenes.
JC staff is doing a really good job on this one. it also gives me some shana feelings.
now, that's the way action scenes should be done.
the guy had a badass look on his face right before punching Styl magnus
innocentus looked awesome
i smiled at the loli teacher being so viscious
index was interesting this episode though. it really makes me wonder how things will play out.
and i also wonder how the guy's hand will become more useful other than dispelling stuff...

cannot wait till necessarius.
TsundereRicOct 13, 2008 2:23 PM
Oct 13, 2008 4:15 PM

Dec 2007
this the best anime so far this season!!
Oct 13, 2008 5:35 PM
Dec 2007
Veronin said:
kuroshiroi said:

Well for one, SnS is a seinen and is meant to appeal to an older audience than shounen. It's darker, the whole torch aspect of the show is not something that most kids would enjoy. Overall, it's a pretty dark show, and it's definitely not kiddy, nor is it exactly on the same level as something like Evangelion either, but it is definitely a lot more mature than most shounen.

I'd say SnS is something that was probably aimed at 15-30 year olds. It has its light hearted aspects, but overall, it's not a kiddy show. Same goes for this show, they're both not meant to appeal to little children.

Also, I know I'm lacking more evidence, but I'm too lazy right now =P . Still, I don't really see how it can be considered a kiddy show.
Someone pointed out the whole "simply dissapearing" thing as something that brought the SnS experience down but think of it this way. Isn't the dissapearing from existence thing more disturbing to the victim (and the watcher)? People who were "eaten" in SnS didn't die to be mourned by their loved ones. They simply ceased to be, like they never existed at all. No one would cry for them, honor them, curse them. Nothing...they just didn't exist in the world.

I think this presented a far more darker ambience to the show, as the main character struggled to accept the fact he would "dissapear" one day, like he never really existed.

Sadly this was later toned down in favor of mindless action and stupid love triangles. Not to mention, the anime completely shattered the notion by turning Yuuji into a Deux Ex Machina who could fix everything and everyone who were killed as long as they were inside of those time freeze things.

Oct 13, 2008 5:55 PM

Feb 2008
Leon-Gun and everybody else that mentioned the ceasing to exist aspect of SnS:
That was indeed pretty grim so I guess SnS is really for adults. They sure stopped mentioning it though in season 2.

So... SnS1 for adults, SnS2 for kids? ;)
Oct 13, 2008 6:09 PM

Oct 2007
Excellent episode, definitely proving to be the best show of the season so far. Loli-teacher was neat, habits no so much so but the bunny outfit just made me smile. Reminded me of the cat-sleepwear in Moetan.

Just hope Index is better soon so we can have more of the moe moments practically promised from the first ep.

Oh, and fire-guy was cool. Name was a bit odd, but I've gotten well used to that out of anime. Just remember, folks: it could always be worse. At least it pretends to be unique.

"A magical girl does not -make- love, a magical girl -is- love."
Oct 13, 2008 8:01 PM

Aug 2008
pirates01 said:
Its following the manga a bit fast...

I rather think this is based after the Index light novel.
Cool fight by the way.
And interesting stuff as well.
Oct 13, 2008 8:43 PM

Jul 2008
kuroshiroi said:

Agree tough I still liked both season of SnS a lot

And yep Index is based off a light novel and not a manga...
It's funny how lot of people think that most show are done from manga when it's the other way around, only a little number of show are based on a manga.
Oct 13, 2008 9:13 PM

Jul 2008
corroded said:
THIS. SHOW. IS. EPIC.

- epic fight(although that punch in the end was a bit of a let down. dude, you just dodged his first punch easily :| why get knocked out by his second?!)
- epic loli. loli teacher smoking and drinking beer is epic.
- index reciting lines from books right off the bat is epic @_@
- hot girl with katana and hot legs is hot.
- as for the love triangle, i foresee a tsundere air with misaka so she might be part of that triangle(not that i'd want a love triangle or even a love story to begin with. but if they can pull it off, why not? :P)

GOT TO ADMIT I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS AND STYLE OF THEM! LOLI TEACHER------>SMOKING AND DRINKING A LOT.........EPIC, EPIC AND EPIC!
in any case. EPIC SHOW IS EPIC.
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 14, 2008 2:02 AM

Dec 2007
I quite enjoyed this episode. The fight was well done.

lol'd at the teacher. "Do you like women who smoke?" And then those pajamas...

I think that Touma tends to focus too much on the disadvantages of his power (though I can't blame him, what with the bad luck). Sure, he can't help with magic, but at least he can fight.
Oct 14, 2008 2:21 AM

Jul 2008
A very nice fight, and a good strategy by touma. Touma reminds me of Kuzumi from Mx0.
Oct 14, 2008 2:39 AM
Sep 2008
That fight was great, Especially that fire spirit.

The thing he said after he defeated him was awesome, "If you won't follow them to the depths of hell then drag them out from it"
Edgard2Oct 14, 2008 2:46 AM
Oct 14, 2008 9:59 AM
Dec 2007
maxime1007 said:
kuroshiroi said:

Agree tough I still liked both season of SnS a lot

And yep Index is based off a light novel and not a manga...
It's funny how lot of people think that most show are done from manga when it's the other way around, only a little number of show are based on a manga.
Yes, I definatel agree here. People complain for the wrong reasons. Complaining that it isn't following an "adaptation" of the original works is a folly. Now, complaining about not following the light novel (like in the case of Zero no Tsukaima) is a more fair point to bitch about. Either way, adaptations are not meant to follow the original works 100%. I'm okay with the anime doing things it's own way, as long as the main plot isn't butchered.

As for the SnS thing... I'd say SnS 1 is for teenagers and young adults who like grim subjects and lots of action along with some tsundere love triangles. Now SnS 2 failed to appeal to anyone but the tsundere loving side. But I guess that's what happens when you run out of material (since they can't move on to the last arc until the last few light novels come out).
Leon-GunOct 14, 2008 10:03 AM

Oct 14, 2008 11:21 AM

Sep 2006
Its nice that the male lead isn't wimpy for a change~
...but Touma should really use a weapon.
Oct 14, 2008 12:04 PM

Aug 2008
Leon-Gun said:
Someone pointed out the whole "simply dissapearing" thing as something that brought the SnS experience down but think of it this way. Isn't the dissapearing from existence thing more disturbing to the victim (and the watcher)? People who were "eaten" in SnS didn't die to be mourned by their loved ones. They simply ceased to be, like they never existed at all. No one would cry for them, honor them, curse them. Nothing...they just didn't exist in the world.
I didn't have a problem with that. I believed that happened, but I simply could not 'comprehend' it. Having surprisingly little impact on the story, I just ignored it.

Ugh, what are we talking about here again? SnS or TAMnI?

Oct 14, 2008 12:39 PM
Oct 2007
I'm so glad I picked this up. Very good episode. Maybe Touma will learn how to control his ability later on. Index is awesome.
Oct 14, 2008 1:03 PM

Feb 2008
Leon-Gun said:
Veronin said:
kuroshiroi said:

I think this presented a far more darker ambience to the show, as the main character struggled to accept the fact he would "dissapear" one day, like he never really existed.

Sadly this was later toned down in favor of mindless action and stupid love triangles. Not to mention, the anime completely shattered the notion by turning Yuuji into a Deux Ex Machina who could fix everything and everyone who were killed as long as they were inside of those time freeze things.

Yeah, it definitely was pretty damn dark at the beginning, but the second season ruined that, considering half of it was about a silly love triangle. The second season didn't have that dark or depressing mood that the first season had, it was mainly some moe crap harem gone wrong.

Less love triangle stuff and more action from the third season would be great. Also, I will be pissed if they pull another "Oh, what's that, I didn't hear you admit that you love me" when season 3 starts, like last time.

Shows like these are MUCH better when they're more serious. Hoping all goes well with this show and it doesn't turn into another SnS second season. So far, all looks good. I have high hopes for this show.
VeroninOct 14, 2008 1:13 PM
Oct 14, 2008 1:27 PM

Sep 2006
The second season of SnS didn't feel so good because there was alot of filler material [all of the Konoe Fumina stuff], and another anime-original ending arc that wasn't as good as season 1's...at the time, I didn't like how JC Staff was deviating from some of the most epic material in the novels.
Looking at it now though, its obvious that it was a good idea to leave it be so that the third season can be focused on the final arc [assuming that the novels will end soon]...
So rather than being let down too much by season's 2's fillers, I'd rather see it as preparing for a really good 3rd season...hehe~
Oct 14, 2008 6:14 PM

Apr 2008
I'm more interested in this series rather than SnS. SnS battle scenes aren't that special for me. It's like firing all bullets randomly, I think that's the best way I can describe SnS battle scenes.

I hope this series is more of mind games rather than brute force.

Well, looking forward to the series' progression.

Oct 14, 2008 6:50 PM

May 2008
Anyone know where i can find doujinshi's of the girl that uses electricity?
I'd like to Rail my Gun up her Rail ramp
Oct 15, 2008 3:52 AM

Aug 2007
actually when i think about it, the battle was a bit boring and the clue with the sprinklers was lame, but hey, while watching i'm all excited about the graphics, so for now im gonna keep watching this.
Oct 15, 2008 7:32 AM

Aug 2008
The battle was good and there is a lil' sense of humours?...xD
Poor Index!!...T_T
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Oct 15, 2008 2:14 PM

Mar 2008
awesome fight. wow lots of drama and action! TONS of characters as well. its really cute, i love the developing romance!!!!!!!!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2008 10:25 PM
Oct 2008
Great episode even though most of it was one fight but still that one fight was beautiful great animation during the fight sequence and the teacher was a nice way to lighten the mood up at the end looks like its going to get very interesting
Oct 16, 2008 12:16 AM

Dec 2007
Animation was great and remarkable! That fight scene was awesome! I lol'd at the sensei's bad habit of smoking and alcohol even though, she is loli. I can't wait to watch the next epiosde!
Oct 17, 2008 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
I agree to the main opinion here in case of animation and moe-factor. That alone makes me giving this episode 5/5.
But as someone already mentioned, the fighting scene was a bit long.
In addition to that, personally I had a hard time recognizing our hero from the first episode. Where is the rather clumsy, unfortunate and ironic guy?
From my point of view his punch at Magnus shouldnt have succeeded so well. It would have been more like him if he missed (right hand remember?), slipped, and somehow knock out Magnus by accident. :p
Oct 17, 2008 8:14 PM

Jan 2008
Forgot to add my post here. Already seen this the other day.

Yeah, fight was kinda long. That sensei was so cute and never would one expects she actually smokes and drinks. Haha

Oct 19, 2008 12:20 PM
Mar 2008
Lol sensei-chan drinks and smokes.
Oct 20, 2008 11:51 AM

Jun 2008
I hope Touma has also some skills except his right hand - martial arts would suit him since he can't use magic or ...
Oct 20, 2008 10:45 PM

May 2008
Oh yay, A mention of Runic!:D

I thought her injuries looked severe.D:

And loli is just getting more win with every episode.:O
Now from teaching to chain smoking and beer drinking.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeh...*drool*
*relaxed face* Soooo dreeeamy.

Yeah..I've forgotten what else I was going to say. Too fixated on the loli.
She just shot up in my book from 7/10 to OVER 9000!!!!

Where's her club so I can go join it?
ukonkiviOct 20, 2008 11:12 PM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 24, 2008 2:57 AM

Feb 2008
This episode was awesome. I'm starting to really get into this series now.
Oct 25, 2008 2:27 PM

Mar 2008
Another excellent episode ! This anime is starting beautifully. The fight was really excellent, Touma was really cool and scary when he came back. But i didn't expect he would go see the loli sensei to help Index^^
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:30 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 4, 2008

230 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 1:15 PM

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.