MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

I'm watching this in the Chronological "Haruhi" Order...
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu »» I'm watching this in the Chronological "Haruhi" Order...

08-09-12, 4:52 AM

Am i wrong in doing so?

I still think it's an amazing show, despite it being linear.

(I like my anime with a sense of progression)
Modified by SteampunkDalek, 08-09-12, 6:03 AM

08-09-12, 4:53 AM

No. It's more interesting that way.

08-09-12, 4:59 AM

Honestly.... I think yes. It being out of order is part of the appeal of the show and the episodes are better paced, with a main plot one then a slice of life one etc. you still get a sense of progression watching it out of order.

Whereas chronologically you get all the main plot ones first, and then all the slice of life ones. You'll see when you finish Melancholy Part 6, how that was supposed to be the end. And it makes a far better finale than the chronoiogical end.

08-09-12, 5:09 AM

Well, then they shouldn't name the episodes The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1-6 because that leads me to believe that i need to watch all those in consecutive order. Even on the "Next Episode" previews they just show the next part of the Melancholy arc, why would the DVD even be in that order if they don't want me to watch it that way?

On top of that i found out there are like 3 different orders to watch the show in: The broadcast one, the chronological one and the DVD order. (The latter being the one i'm watching)

Can i go back and watch it in the Broadcast order? I only finshed the first seven episodes. Still have 7 episodes + Season 2 to go
Modified by SteampunkDalek, 08-09-12, 5:13 AM

08-09-12, 5:12 AM

I watched it chronologically, and I like that show as much as anyone else. You're not in the wrong in any way, you're just getting the story in different intervals. If you choose to marathon this show though, it might get a bit annoying to watch it out of chronological order.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

08-09-12, 5:18 AM

^

Yeah? Good to know that i'm not the only one enjoying it chronologically!

To show just how much the show intrigues me, i've watched the first 7 episodes in less than a day! (It's very rare i watch this much anime in one sitting)

Can i ask when the movie (The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya) fits in with the rest of the show? Is it an epilogue of some sort?

08-09-12, 5:37 AM

MAL reports it as a prequel to S2, but I don't remember anything about it that was particularly indicative of when it was supposed to take place, don't take my word for that though. I watched it after S2, and it's still one of my favorite feature-length animations.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

08-09-12, 5:43 AM

Ooh, can't wait to see it! ;)

I know that people say that Part Six of the Melancholy arc is the perfect end to the anime, but when there's supposedly a great movie which caps off the series, why not end with that?
Modified by SteampunkDalek, 08-09-12, 6:11 AM

08-11-12, 7:18 AM

Deserada said:
MAL reports it as a prequel to S2, but I don't remember anything about it that was particularly indicative of when it was supposed to take place, don't take my word for that though. I watched it after S2, and it's still one of my favorite feature-length animations.

Nah it definitely is not a prequel to season 2. It's set after both. You need to watch both to watch the movie trust me. And yeah the movie is amazing, easily better than both seasons for me, though it's very long at nearly three hours but I wasn't bored through any of it.

IcecreamManwich said:
Well, then they shouldn't name the episodes The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1-6 because that leads me to believe that i need to watch all those in consecutive order. Even on the "Next Episode" previews they just show the next part of the Melancholy arc, why would the DVD even be in that order if they don't want me to watch it that way?

Like I say they originally intended it out of order. That's why it was broadcast that way. It's not about "leading to believe" not like they were thinking about people watching it online lol Why did they name the episodes 1-6? To give viewers a sense of where it fits in the actual timeline.

Why is the DVD in chrono order? Because people will have seen the show on TV, then bought the DVD so they can watch it from another perspective in chrono order. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, you can watch it either way, I was just stating my opinion.

Regarding the previews, I can't really remember but don't they mention both Haruhi and Kyon orders for the next episode?

08-13-12, 5:47 PM

good thing i wasnt the only one who was wondering this. i personally just started watching today, and when i came up to the fourth episode, it just randomly changed on me and i was quite confused. i now see that there are more than one order, but personally after looking into it, im gonna do that "Haruhi" order. it makes more sense to me personally to watch things in order because it was plot plot plot plot SUDDENLY SOMETHING ELSE! o_o

08-17-12, 2:35 PM

^

Having watched both seasons chronologically i highly recommend going the chronological route! It's much more engaging and cohesive than just watching them in random order... (Not sure though, since i haven't watched them out of order yet)

So, in my opinion, you should watch the show like this:

1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I
2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II
3) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III
4) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV
5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V
6) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI
7) The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
8) Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (s2)
9) Mysterique Sign
10) Lone Island Syndrome I
11) Lone Island Syndrome II
12) Endless Eight I (s2)
13) Endless Eight II (s2)
14) Endless Eight III (s2)
15) Endless Eight IV (s2)
16) Endless Eight V (s2)
17) Endless Eight VI (s2)
18) Endless Eight VII (s2)
19) Endless Eight VIII (s2)
20) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (s2)
21) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (s2)
22) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (s2)
23) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (s2)
24) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (s2)
25) Mikuru Asahina's Adventure - Episode 00
26) Live A Live
27) The Day of Sagittarius
28) Someday in the Rain
29) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (movie)

I'm just about the watch Disappearance now and i'm hoping it's gonna be a fantastic send-off to the series that people keep telling me!

Can't believe the anime is over this... That's so sad! I just got into it :(
Modified by SteampunkDalek, 08-17-12, 2:42 PM

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices