Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2012 12:33 PM

Nov 2009
I don't mind reverse harem, like Ouran- but harem in general is probably the most annoying of all genres to me. Why are all the female characters pining for this one guy? ... and what's so great about him? - he's usually a wuss and ends up in difficult situations with every single female character.

Long story short, it's dreadful - however, I am being a hypocrite- as I have seen some harem shows, and found them okay, but they are really hard to deal with.
Aug 9, 2012 1:47 PM
Oct 2010
There are harems that can appeal to girls; Tears to Tiara is a notable example.
Aug 9, 2012 2:42 PM

Aug 2011
I don't really have a preference for them, though some are pretty enjoyable. I'm not the type to go all feminist-Nazi and say that they objectify women and whatnot. It's entertainment, nothing more.
Aug 9, 2012 2:50 PM

Sep 2010
I'm not a huge fan of harems. I actually don't mind all the ecchi things and moe girls being all over the place. The thing that usually makes me not like harems is the guys. Yeah, I know they're supposed to be self-insert, and because of that they're really bland. But, it makes it kind of boring to watch. I don't think I would mind a harem full of panty shots, tsunderes, and childhood friends if the guy actually had more personality. But, then again I guess that defeats the whole self insert aspect.

Adair said:
I don't really have a preference for them, though some are pretty enjoyable. I'm not the type to go all feminist-Nazi and say that they objectify women and whatnot. It's entertainment, nothing more.

My thoughts exactly. It's just anime.
Aug 9, 2012 2:55 PM

Apr 2012
They all have annoying main characters so I usually dislike them.
Aug 9, 2012 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
Well female here, and to be honest I really enjoy Harem anime. However I am probably not the best one to be responding to this, as I am bi >.>

But either way, its all about the love story, and having the 2 main characters still find that connection even between all the other girls coming and going.
Aug 9, 2012 3:53 PM

Oct 2009
Sasshii said:
I'm not a huge fan of harems. I actually don't mind all the ecchi things and moe girls being all over the place. The thing that usually makes me not like harems is the guys. Yeah, I know they're supposed to be self-insert, and because of that they're really bland. But, it makes it kind of boring to watch. I don't think I would mind a harem full of panty shots, tsunderes, and childhood friends if the guy actually had more personality. But, then again I guess that defeats the whole self insert aspect.

I'm a male, and I'm agree with you. Well, harem anime focused mainly to serve it's demographic targets with 'choose your type' of Mary Sue(s). While to connect it's wide audience they had to dumb down the main character so everyone on the targeted demographic could relate themselves into the series. Their strategy to keep their audience is to give an 'equal chance' of screen time of so called Mary Sue(s) and leave the series open-ended without significant progress of relationship. So, yeah it is a bad genre, namely only a few which turns out good.
(But even the good series are still abusing the stereotype recipes; kuldere, dandere, yandere, tsundere, tennen-boke, etc.)
It's interesting that I just realized some of the fact like the dull/plain main character after hearing the opposite gender opinion about it. Because for us, male, it is too easy for us to relate to them.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 13, 2012 12:20 AM

Feb 2012
To be honest, I think harem Animes are fun. People like to pick their favorite character and root for them. The romance involved in most harems is both a selling point and a way to get people involved. Will the couple you want happen? Wait and find out! Don't like that girl? Cheer for the another girl! I just find harems fun and entertaining, which is their main purpose. Story and character depth varies, of course, but its still that fun factor.
Aug 13, 2012 12:22 AM

Nov 2011
Reverie12 said:
To be honest, I think harem Animes are fun. People like to pick their favorite character and root for them. The romance involved in most harems is both a selling point and a way to get people involved. Will the couple you want happen? Wait and find out! Don't like that girl? Cheer for the another girl! I just find harems fun and entertaining, which is their main purpose. Story and character depth varies, of course, but its still that fun factor.

Ha, you make it sound like a game show.
Aug 13, 2012 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
AzureBlues said:
Reverie12 said:

Ha, you make it sound like a game show.

Which makes some of them more entertaining :).
Aug 13, 2012 8:12 PM

Apr 2012
I am a guy, and I don't like harem animes. Basically, I define pure harem animes as having a lot of fanservices and silly romantic comedy. (except for clannad and kanon, but then, they don't really count)
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Aug 13, 2012 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
i have always enjoyed good harem style anime but i like to see what kinda fresh situations or twists on the genre a series may take. A lot phone it in and stay in the box but some do a good job of really being creative. I am one of those people whos just satisfied with a few good laughs here and there tho.
Dec 6, 2012 2:11 AM
Jul 2012
Nah, harems aren't my cup of tea. and I've only recently started watching Zero no Tsukaima so I don't know if I should continue watching it since it's a harem. Arr :\
Dec 6, 2012 2:13 AM

Nov 2012
If good honest humour is there i'll enjoy it (i'm a male?)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 2:56 AM

Aug 2009
Generally, I think harems are fascinatingly dumb. To the point where I'll watch one so I can enjoy it ironically, not because I expect good things about it (they usually don't have any of that). Story? Animation? Depth? Writing? Who gives a shit? When it comes to these type of shows specifically, I don't care about anything but purely the stupid enjoyment I get out of it. If the characters and humor are likable and fun, that's pretty much all you need to have a good time with a harem show.

I can't really think of a big number of harems that I actually sincerely liked, though there are a few that I did, to an extent. Doesn't change the fact that, the genre itself is silly, and I can never fully take it seriously compared to other genres.
Dec 6, 2012 5:35 AM

Jun 2012
As a guy, I have no problem with the concept of reverse harem or shoujos. And for what it's worth I don't mind regular harem anime either. That said, I don't like a lot of the cliches that come out of it. Like the poor guy getting beat up and falsely accused of perverted shit. Not funny, annoying.
Dec 6, 2012 6:15 AM

Nov 2012
Harems are dumb ?

I don't know how could a human being be so confident to claim such ignominious statements.
Harems are the very embodiment of one of the most notorious phantasmagoric fantasies in the history of mankind.
While questioning the integrity and cohesion of Harems' scripts likely to be labelled as redundant , there are actually infallible psychological reasons relating to the protagonists characteristics, I'm just gonna put this troll here :troll: often a seemingly worthless guy with hidden virtues ( The case of numerous individuals IRL) allowing him to generate a magnetic aura and attract every kind of pulchritudinous nymphos ( The introverts' living in ostracism wettest dream. )

Moreover , sociology and unequivocal psychological studies suggest that every individual dreams of realities that defy the dialectic standards of life, the ability of the mind to be tricked into believing a mentally generated world given that the absoluteness and validity of the interpretation of Harem animes as a legit simulation of spectral thoughts and fantasies.

No harem anime is sacrosanct. The harem concept is.
So , please. Don't be wretch-minded enough to question it.
Dec 6, 2012 6:34 AM

Nov 2012
Shuhan said:
Im no girl but harems are the shit yo.

Reverse harems i dont really like, too much testosterone, nah mean.
just that. reverse harem sucks
You clipped my wings and blamed me when i couldn't reach the stars.
Dec 6, 2012 9:02 AM

Sep 2011
Ahhh. I'd rather watch a love triangle than a harem. Almost always the love triangles are more believable and have a more deeper plot embedded. Harem anime are just a bunch of girls fawning over the guy. It gets annoying after a few episodes and is just way too over sexualized. Plus, harem guys are usually the biggest, clueless idiots. Rather not watch any harem anime.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Dec 6, 2012 2:10 PM

Apr 2012
I am a girl and I love harem animes I do not think they're masterpieces or anything because they certainly aren't but they are enjoyable guilty pleasures to me.
Dec 6, 2012 2:41 PM

Jun 2012
Speaking generally, I'm really not a fan of harems (reverse or otherwise). Obviously there's exceptions to every rule, but more often than not they're an almost personality-less MC with a bunch of cliche characters fawning over them. Again, there's exceptions to this, but in general I try to avoid them.
Dec 6, 2012 2:53 PM

Sep 2012
The question was directed to girls, yet some guys are answering...
Dec 6, 2012 3:02 PM

Nov 2012
SetsukoHara said:

very observant o holy lurker
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 3:15 PM

Nov 2012
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

I wanted to answer him before, but I made a facepalm instead and closed my browser.
Dec 6, 2012 3:16 PM

Nov 2012
Sacrophagus said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

I wanted to answer him before, but I made a facepalm instead and closed my browser.

My thoughts exactly, i see hes also french haha
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
Sacrophagus said:
Harems are dumb ?

I don't know how could a human being be so confident to claim such ignominious statements.
Harems are the very embodiment of one of the most notorious phantasmagoric fantasies in the history of mankind.
While questioning the integrity and cohesion of Harems' scripts likely to be labelled as redundant , there are actually infallible psychological reasons relating to the protagonists characteristics, I'm just gonna put this troll here :troll: often a seemingly worthless guy with hidden virtues ( The case of numerous individuals IRL) allowing him to generate a magnetic aura and attract every kind of pulchritudinous nymphos ( The introverts' living in ostracism wettest dream. )

Moreover , sociology and unequivocal psychological studies suggest that every individual dreams of realities that defy the dialectic standards of life, the ability of the mind to be tricked into believing a mentally generated world given that the absoluteness and validity of the interpretation of Harem animes as a legit simulation of spectral thoughts and fantasies.

Hahahaha whatever you say then.
Dec 6, 2012 3:27 PM

Nov 2012
dietmango said:
Sacrophagus said:
Harems are dumb ?

Hahahaha whatever you say then.

I must've been drunk when I wrote that shit.
I hate it when the power level of my intelligence suddenly gets OVER 9000!!!!
Dec 6, 2012 3:32 PM

Nov 2012
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 3:36 PM

Mar 2010
It would depend on the quality of plot and characters for me.
Dec 6, 2012 3:44 PM
Aug 2011
NK_500 said:
What do you guys think about Reverse Harem anime?

Very shitty and Ouran Manwhore Brothel is top of that shit-fest!

I got some weird looks from the crowd here at wor k since I just burst out laughing.

Not going to watch that crap then, I was on the fence, but not anymore.
Dec 6, 2012 3:46 PM

Nov 2012
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
NK_500 said:

I got some weird looks from the crowd here at wor k since I just burst out laughing.

Gash V-D? Vaginal disease?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 3:52 PM

Nov 2012
no_good_name said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
NK_500 said:

Vagina Destroyer***
Dec 6, 2012 3:53 PM

Nov 2012
Sacrophagus said:
no_good_name said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
NK_500 said:

Vagina Destroyer***

Ohh that makes more sense but isnt as funny (thought you has a vagina disease fetish)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 3:55 PM

Nov 2009
Almost all harems are extremely generic and poorly made, while this is true of reverse harems very few are actually made in to anime and there aren't too many original reverse harems (straight to anime) so while most reverse harems are bad harem anime are just... Honestly the genre Harem is like the one genre you can say is shit and have it not be an opinion...

Harems are so unoriginal at this point it basically comes down to the only difference being setting (this includes whether it will have a sci-fi/fantasy/school life/etc.) sub genre and the other difference between them is the characters ... But I DO NOT mean their personalities, no, no, no, their personalities are carbon copies of each other (both the male lead and the female harem), the difference in characters is hair color, hair style, height, eye color, etc...

as far as actual plot, jokes, personality (basically all content besides appearances) 95% of harems are the same thing, and if you think that they are good I applaud you... its the same mentality that brought about Justin Bieber, N-Sync and the backstreet boys ... Looks > Quality
Dec 6, 2012 4:30 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

I'm not surprised you didnt' get the aim of my post. Anyway, you seem to have a problem with me. I don't know if I have ever talked to you in this forum, if so, I don't remember it, which mean you're probably not a really interesting poster.
Dec 6, 2012 4:37 PM

Nov 2012
SetsukoHara said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

I'm not surprised you didnt' get the aim of my post. Anyway, you seem to have a problem with me. I don't know if I have ever talked to you in this forum, if so, I don't remember it, which mean you're probably not a really interesting poster.

no you are taking offense to easily, if i had a problem i would have sent a PM.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 4:44 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

Well, how should I take this if not as an offense:

no_good_name said:
Sacrophagus said:

You said it yourself, I'm very observant.
Dec 6, 2012 4:47 PM

Nov 2012
SetsukoHara said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

Well, how should I take this if not as an offense:

no_good_name said:
Sacrophagus said:

If your sensitivity setting is too high you may take offense, i am starting to get offended at your taking offense to my not so offensive message.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 4:51 PM

Jun 2008
I like harem anime if it doesn't include too much fanservice and too much ecchi scenes.
Dec 6, 2012 4:52 PM

Sep 2012
Well, if you say so. I don't care anymore.
Dec 6, 2012 4:57 PM

Nov 2012
SetsukoHara said:

I'm surprised you cared in the first place.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 5:12 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

Dec 6, 2012 5:29 PM

Sep 2012
Trite. I'd like them better if male leads weren't always your average, plain everydude. Or if there was less fanservice/moe.
Dec 6, 2012 5:59 PM
Oct 2012
Lawl im a male so i cant answer for girls lawl i just watch anything thats good though so actually it depends on the anime lawl =P
Dec 6, 2012 6:10 PM

Apr 2009
If the characters themselves are interesting and there's humor, I'm usually fine unless there's extreme fanservice. Examples are that Love Hina was one of my first manga and I still love it to this day. It's not my favorite genre but if it's got something special about it, I'll watch/read harem with no complaints.
WaffocopterDec 6, 2012 6:15 PM

Dec 6, 2012 6:11 PM

May 2012
SetsukoHara said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Dec 6, 2012 6:18 PM

Nov 2012
Tommk said:
SetsukoHara said:
no_good_name said:
SetsukoHara said:

indeed.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 6, 2012 7:04 PM

Feb 2008
I like harem anime. I find all the fanservice and whatnot to be pleasing and a lot of them are decently moe, which I also love.

I can't stand 'reverse' harems though. They seriously piss me off with how the girl always needs all this saving all the time, considering a lot of them tend to end up being magically or mystically based. Makes my eye twitch.
Anime figure reviews:
Dec 6, 2012 7:07 PM
Jul 2012
harems are great if you let your imagination takes over.
Dec 6, 2012 7:43 PM

Jul 2012
I'm a guy, but I'm going to say opinion anyways.
Harems are almost always horrible. Most are a waste of a studio's budget. Money going towards harems should be redirected to something with more substance IMO.
But it's probably not going to happen, as I'm in the 10% of guys that feel this way.

I would probably like harems more if it was less focused on fan service and if the MC actually had a soul and wasn't a generic robot. For instance Clannad, thats sort of a harem, but it doesn't get in the way of everything. But the harem-ness is probably too subtle in Clannad to really be called a harem or to appease harem fans. Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is another good example, sure it has fan service and it's a bit over the top sometimes, but it does so in moderation. It's never too extreme, at least in my opinion.

Dunno bout reverse harems though, haven't really seen one. But a lot of times one girl is the focus of a lot of guys attention IRL, so I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.
QuiGonJonDec 6, 2012 7:48 PM

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

47 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
1 hour ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.