Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2012 8:16 PM

Aug 2012
As a guy, I think reverse harem is okay as long as its not exaggerated to a terrible state.
depapepe112Aug 9, 2012 7:19 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 8, 2012 8:17 PM

Jul 2012
It gets boring after 2 episodes(usually)
Aug 8, 2012 8:20 PM

Jul 2012
They're not really my cup of tea. Most of them are generally predictable with a brainless make lead and a bunch of stereotyped girls. There are some rare gems in them. I don't like all the fanservice and naive minds that all the characters have though.

They're less enjoyable for me probably because they usually rely on fanservice, which being a girl irritates, not entertains me.
Aug 8, 2012 8:21 PM

Mar 2012
I usually hate Harem anime, especially when all the girls get extremely slutty over one guy. OHHC didn't really appeal to me either, because the guys were acting like girls.
Aug 8, 2012 8:24 PM

May 2011
I can put up with them, since they're so common, but they're not something I overly enjoy. Sometimes they're well done, but most of the time it's just a bunch of fanservice and cliched love comedy.

It's just too unrealistic and predictable to be entertaining most of the time. If I end up caring at all about the characters, they irritate and annoy me.

If there's a harem, the show had better have something else, like hillarious comedy or intense drama, to compensate for its lack of entertainment.
Aug 8, 2012 8:28 PM

Jan 2012
What do you guys think about Reverse Harem anime?

Very shitty and Ouran Manwhore Brothel is top of that shit-fest!
---
Aug 8, 2012 8:29 PM

Aug 2011
smooched said:
OHHC didn't really appeal to me either, because the guys were acting like girls.

It didn't appeal to me because it was boring, but I'm a guy so my opinion doesn't matter in this thread.
Aug 8, 2012 8:29 PM

Aug 2011
NK_500 said:
What do you guys think about Reverse Harem anime?

Very shitty and Ouran Manwhore Brothel is top of that shit-fest!

I like the way you think.
Aug 8, 2012 8:33 PM

Jun 2009
the funny thing about reverse harem is, fans/fujoshi tend to support yaoi couple than support actual main girl with a boy from boys group...
Aug 8, 2012 8:38 PM

Feb 2010
I thought someone would never ask. XD

As a girl, I like Reverse Harem way more than "regular" Harem. Because most harem has ecchi in it. I don't think I've seen a harem anime where it doesn't have fanservice in it (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Love Hina!).
Aug 8, 2012 8:39 PM

Jun 2012
Im no girl but harems are the shit yo.

Reverse harems i dont really like, too much testosterone, nah mean.
Aug 8, 2012 8:44 PM

Jun 2009
Shuhan said:

dunno your comment is a sarcasm or not.
but your sig, avatar, profile pic, fav anime, fav characters. Most of them are from harem things
Aug 8, 2012 8:46 PM

Mar 2012
Honestly, if they don't have an overkill of ecchi and fanservice *glares at most harem anime* and if the characters aren't horrible and stupid *glares at again most harem anime*, then sure, it's fine with me. I just hate it when in, like most harems, the girls always seem to gain up on the guy for the stupidest things. That irritates me SOOOO much. (-___-)
As for reverse harems, I don't find them appealing in the slightest. If it has a good story, characters, and humor, then okay. But, most reverse harems seem to have guys act like girls and be all stupid or whatever. I don't know why they even make reverse harems, honestly. But, whatever. I'm sure someone likes them. I just think they're a waste of my time.
Aug 8, 2012 8:46 PM

Mar 2012
IZUMI64 said:
Shuhan said:

but your sig, avatar, profile pic, fav anime, fav characters. Most of them are from harem things

THE SHIT =/= shit. :P
Aug 8, 2012 8:48 PM

Jun 2009
smooched said:
IZUMI64 said:
Shuhan said:

oh, I got it now :slowpoke
Aug 8, 2012 8:49 PM

Jun 2012
smooched said:
IZUMI64 said:
Shuhan said:

This.

I guess i wasnt clear enough, i enjoy harems, as you can tell.
Aug 8, 2012 9:06 PM

Jul 2012
As to be expect, no girl really likes harems.

Well, as a guy, I like harems, but I can see why most people don't like them. They usually involve weak plot, stupid or naive characters, and fanservice. I see harems as more of an escape from the serious and more depressing anime that I tend to watch, but not as a genre that I couldn't live without.

Now, as for reverse harems, the only one I could sit through was OHHC, and even on this one I kept wondering "Why am I watching this?"

I know this is meant for a reaction from girls, but... U-urusai, it's not like I care if you read this or not, kono baka! (No harem is complete without a tsundere. :P)
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Aug 8, 2012 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
I like harems, but I like ecchi, so...
The only reverse harem I've seen is OHHC and, well, I loved it but felt embarrassed by all the fanservice... *cough*medicalexam*cough*.
Aug 8, 2012 9:53 PM

Jun 2009
I do not mind them. Sometimes I find harems that are really unique or exciting in their own way. I am all about balance when I am watching several anime at once and sometimes a harem is the perfect way to balance out a really talkative anime.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 8, 2012 10:22 PM
Apr 2012
smooched said:
I usually hate Harem anime, especially when all the girls get extremely slutty over one guy.
This.
Aug 8, 2012 10:30 PM
Jun 2012
Raikenzera said:
no girl really likes harems.

Bullshit.

I don't care much for harem or ecchi in general, but Sekirei 2 is my shit. Boobs and all. And a lot of girls are fans of stuff like Rosario + Vampire, Shuffle, ect.
Aug 8, 2012 10:33 PM

Jul 2012
Raikenzera said:
As to be expect, no girl really likes harems.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAno
It may be a (mostly) plotless genre to me, but hot womenz are hot womenz
and I am okay with that
Aug 8, 2012 10:52 PM

May 2010
I'm a guy and for some reason I enjoy OHHC. I don't think I've seen any other reverse harems, but other enjoyed that one. I'm very easy to please when it comes to anime. I have very few turn offs (incest and yaoi, pretty much).
Aug 8, 2012 10:52 PM

Aug 2012
They're ok, I usually don't like "regular harem" series, but I can't say I hate them because... well, I like reverse harem. And Some series like Love Hina are really good too.
Aug 8, 2012 10:56 PM

Sep 2011
If it has a decent plot, I can tolerate the rampage of girls, boobs, butt and potential panty shots... I'm pretty much open to anything if the plot is good.
Aug 8, 2012 11:06 PM

Sep 2011
I'm not a huge fan (unless it's straight up hentai, but that doesn't really count), but I'd take harem over reverse harem any day.
Aug 9, 2012 12:14 AM

Aug 2011
I do like it in general as long as I find the fan service tolerable.
I often find the girls trying to win the dense lead guy heart funny.
But i prefer the type where it has 1 obvious main girl which the main guy will end up with. The other girls are just for entertainment. I will also be able to ship the right girl from the start and not get my heart broken.

I can understand why a lot girls dislike harem. But I feel that reading shoujo smut is more insulting.

Toradora is harem.

Also,
Harem>>>Reverse Harem.

In fact, my favourite character(female) is from a harem series.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Aug 9, 2012 1:30 AM

Dec 2008
Hate it. Yet I watch Hakuouki, a reverse harem which I know is shit yet I keep watching it.
Aug 9, 2012 2:05 AM

May 2010
Soshinra said:
Toradora is harem.

No, it's not. What makes it harem anime? Not enough girls. It's just a romance. I think that harem is 4-5+ girls around protagonist.

Anyway, I don't mind those. But not too often! I find harems funny, most of situation taking place there, even most cliche ones just DON"T HAPPEN in real life. Ever fall from stairs on some beautiful girl, grabbed her breasts, and after some time made her your girlfriend? It's so unrealistic that watching it is fun ;)
But yeah, there are annoying things. Wimpy potagonist who can't do ANYTHING by himself, yet he has all girls around falling for him. Or when guy picks flat tsundere who can't do anything yet keep kicking and yelling at him over nice, cute girl with big breasts, who can do all houseworks, acts girly, is a little shy but honest towards main guy. Really, just fuck you idiot.
Aug 9, 2012 2:54 AM

Aug 2011
Kitsu-nee said:
Soshinra said:
Toradora is harem.

No, it's not. What makes it harem anime? Not enough girls. It's just a romance. I think that harem is 4-5+ girls around protagonist.

Anyway, I don't mind those. But not too often! I find harems funny, most of situation taking place there, even most cliche ones just DON"T HAPPEN in real life. Ever fall from stairs on some beautiful girl, grabbed her breasts, and after some time made her your girlfriend? It's so unrealistic that watching it is fun ;)
But yeah, there are annoying things. Wimpy potagonist who can't do ANYTHING by himself, yet he has all girls around falling for him. Or when guy picks flat tsundere who can't do anything yet keep kicking and yelling at him over nice, cute girl with big breasts, who can do all houseworks, acts girly, is a little shy but honest towards main guy. Really, just fuck you idiot.

3girls like 1 guy.
Any show with more than 2girls/boys like the main character is a harem/reverse harem

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Aug 9, 2012 4:01 AM

Apr 2012
Good Question.

Guy here < ------ And yes I do like Harem Anime's they are a nice way to detach from the reality of life. Most of the time I find a character or 2 that I find funny and like to watch. As for Fan Service I have to say that if it is well placed and done to help the story along then great.

But for the most part I can say that there is just to much fan Service in the harem Genre. Even I find it over the top sometimes and I like Echii and harems. As an example of something that helped the story along I have to go to Shuffle when the MC was comming down the stairs and colided with Asa. True there was some fan service in the very next scene when they were on the floor figuring out what happened to them but they made a comedic skit with it as well.

That was a brilliantly executed piece of Fan Service.

On the negative side of the same argument thought I love to watch Highschool DxD because of the story I have to say that they over glorify the Fan Service especially with those commercial break where they show a character in underware and then without anything on. Whats the point..

Am I suppose to say wow.. its 2 D ... so on that note even though this is a male perspective I wanted to say that women may not be the only ones that do not appreciate to much fan service .
Tiamat26Aug 9, 2012 4:11 AM

Aug 9, 2012 4:04 AM
Jul 2012
Meh, I like and dislike them, because I get extremely jealous of the guy, and they all want his dick, and I'm like damn yo I wish I can get girls like him. The part that makes me even more angry is that the main characters doesn't even have to do shit :(

Edit: wait i'm not even a girl
Javi-HimeAug 9, 2012 8:56 AM
Aug 9, 2012 8:46 AM

Jan 2012
some are good, some are bad

/thread
Aug 9, 2012 9:07 AM

Jun 2012
Of course most of them are completely unrealistic, but I still find them hilarious to watch. There are some that go way over the top when it comes to fan service but all in all, I like to watch a silly anime and it totally works for me. Reverse harem is more appealing but I watch to be entertained, not really to worry about how realistic it is, since reality kind of sucks :P
I wandered through fiction to look for the truth.

Aug 9, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2012
I enjoy Harems, most of what I watch is them. I don't know if I count because I'm bi. Sooo yeah, I have no problem with whoreish girls falling head over heals for a male lead.
Aug 9, 2012 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
I'm not a girl but my opinion on harems is that a bad one is just completely awful there are very few "gems" like Bakemonogatari + rest of series, MM!, Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? and plenty of others. Most people seem to watch crap harems and are turned off by the genre.
Aug 9, 2012 10:33 AM

Mar 2012
It gets a bit boring because you always know who the guy will end up with. It's predictable unless other things happen.
Aug 9, 2012 10:48 AM

Jul 2012
Deziah said:
Raikenzera said:
no girl really likes harems.

Bullshit.

I don't care much for harem or ecchi in general, but Sekirei 2 is my shit. Boobs and all. And a lot of girls are fans of stuff like Rosario + Vampire, Shuffle, ect.

Ah, I stand corrected then.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Aug 9, 2012 10:53 AM

Mar 2012
Harem animes are a really touchy subject for me. There are some harem animes like Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi that I find to be OUTSTANDING and then you have animes such as Infinite Stratos that are just complete trash.

I think when harems animes are at their best, they don't push the envelope too much. That's what I liked about Hoshizora. You KNEW at least three girls liked Kazuma, you KNEW he'd end up having a relationship with one of them, yet, it didn't spend most of the series run time forcing the relationships. Poorly done harem animes in my opinion try and force the guy and one of the girls into a relationship, whether they want it or not. Or in Infinite Stratos' case, make a harem without one redeeming or likable character in the group.
Aug 9, 2012 11:27 AM

Feb 2012
I don't mind them, I don't search for them though. The female characters are usually extremely annoying and their obsession of the particular guy bothers me, and the main guy is often a jerk.
I enjoy reverse harems though, because of the hot males, so I quite understand men who watch harems just for this reason :D.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Aug 9, 2012 12:33 PM

Nov 2009
I don't mind reverse harem, like Ouran- but harem in general is probably the most annoying of all genres to me. Why are all the female characters pining for this one guy? ... and what's so great about him? - he's usually a wuss and ends up in difficult situations with every single female character.

Long story short, it's dreadful - however, I am being a hypocrite- as I have seen some harem shows, and found them okay, but they are really hard to deal with.
Aug 9, 2012 1:47 PM
Oct 2010
There are harems that can appeal to girls; Tears to Tiara is a notable example.
Aug 9, 2012 2:42 PM

Aug 2011
I don't really have a preference for them, though some are pretty enjoyable. I'm not the type to go all feminist-Nazi and say that they objectify women and whatnot. It's entertainment, nothing more.
Aug 9, 2012 2:50 PM

Sep 2010
I'm not a huge fan of harems. I actually don't mind all the ecchi things and moe girls being all over the place. The thing that usually makes me not like harems is the guys. Yeah, I know they're supposed to be self-insert, and because of that they're really bland. But, it makes it kind of boring to watch. I don't think I would mind a harem full of panty shots, tsunderes, and childhood friends if the guy actually had more personality. But, then again I guess that defeats the whole self insert aspect.

Adair said:
I don't really have a preference for them, though some are pretty enjoyable. I'm not the type to go all feminist-Nazi and say that they objectify women and whatnot. It's entertainment, nothing more.

My thoughts exactly. It's just anime.
Aug 9, 2012 2:55 PM

Apr 2012
They all have annoying main characters so I usually dislike them.
Aug 9, 2012 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
Well female here, and to be honest I really enjoy Harem anime. However I am probably not the best one to be responding to this, as I am bi >.>

But either way, its all about the love story, and having the 2 main characters still find that connection even between all the other girls coming and going.
Aug 9, 2012 3:53 PM

Oct 2009
Sasshii said:
I'm not a huge fan of harems. I actually don't mind all the ecchi things and moe girls being all over the place. The thing that usually makes me not like harems is the guys. Yeah, I know they're supposed to be self-insert, and because of that they're really bland. But, it makes it kind of boring to watch. I don't think I would mind a harem full of panty shots, tsunderes, and childhood friends if the guy actually had more personality. But, then again I guess that defeats the whole self insert aspect.

I'm a male, and I'm agree with you. Well, harem anime focused mainly to serve it's demographic targets with 'choose your type' of Mary Sue(s). While to connect it's wide audience they had to dumb down the main character so everyone on the targeted demographic could relate themselves into the series. Their strategy to keep their audience is to give an 'equal chance' of screen time of so called Mary Sue(s) and leave the series open-ended without significant progress of relationship. So, yeah it is a bad genre, namely only a few which turns out good.
(But even the good series are still abusing the stereotype recipes; kuldere, dandere, yandere, tsundere, tennen-boke, etc.)
It's interesting that I just realized some of the fact like the dull/plain main character after hearing the opposite gender opinion about it. Because for us, male, it is too easy for us to relate to them.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 13, 2012 12:20 AM

Feb 2012
To be honest, I think harem Animes are fun. People like to pick their favorite character and root for them. The romance involved in most harems is both a selling point and a way to get people involved. Will the couple you want happen? Wait and find out! Don't like that girl? Cheer for the another girl! I just find harems fun and entertaining, which is their main purpose. Story and character depth varies, of course, but its still that fun factor.
Aug 13, 2012 12:22 AM

Nov 2011
Reverie12 said:
To be honest, I think harem Animes are fun. People like to pick their favorite character and root for them. The romance involved in most harems is both a selling point and a way to get people involved. Will the couple you want happen? Wait and find out! Don't like that girl? Cheer for the another girl! I just find harems fun and entertaining, which is their main purpose. Story and character depth varies, of course, but its still that fun factor.

Ha, you make it sound like a game show.
Aug 13, 2012 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
AzureBlues said:
Reverie12 said:

Ha, you make it sound like a game show.

Which makes some of them more entertaining :).
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» peak piece

Cyborgium - Mar 28

6 by SnipeStrike »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

30 by Vendicator »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

17 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

6 by BirdyTheMighty »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

113 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.