Forum Settings
Forums

How do you deal with anime when it's already spoiled for you?

New
Aug 6, 2012 6:54 AM

May 2012
I was just browsing the forums on a certain website and I accidentally read a spoiler for an ongoing anime as of this season. I was so dam depressed because I already know the ending. Anyhow, I'm kind of beating myself for it but most of the time I still manage to enjoy anime even though it's already spoiled for me. For instance, Steins;Gate and Death Note are the only anime that has been spoiled for me.

So how do you cope after hearing a spoiler? Do you just try to forget about it? Times like these that I wish there was a device where I could just erase my memory for those crucial seconds after reading that spoiler oh man.
Rest in beats.
- Nujabes

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 6, 2012 7:03 AM

Feb 2012
Usually do well to avoid spoilers. Only anime I can think of that was really spoiled for me was a certain scene in Clannad: After Story, some guy had it as an animated gif on his profile page, that kinda pissed me off, but hey what can ya do lol

Trying to foget about it, pretty much impossible lol it's like saying "Do NOT think about the colour red!" you can't help but think about it!
Aug 6, 2012 7:10 AM

May 2012
Yeah it's so true. It's like trying to forget a color -___- which is impossible. Dam that sucks though Clannad: After Story is pretty memorable for its certain scenes. I spoiled myself with Sword Art Online though :P no choice but to move on with spoilers.
Rest in beats.
- Nujabes

Aug 6, 2012 7:14 AM

Jul 2011
lehonidas said:

So how do you cope after hearing a spoiler?

I don't.
Aug 6, 2012 7:21 AM

Jun 2012
Ive spoiled stuff for myself before, I just go on watching the anime as per usual.
Aug 6, 2012 7:22 AM

May 2012
Verdale said:
lehonidas said:

I don't.

Haha. Yeah I figured that's too difficult to accept an ending especially if it's sad and spoiled for you :/
Rest in beats.
- Nujabes

Aug 6, 2012 7:23 AM

Jun 2012
Nearly every anime i've watched i have spoiled for myself, it doesnt really bother me because i still get surprised or shocked when i see it happen in the anime even though i know its going to happen.
Aug 6, 2012 7:25 AM

Mar 2011
As said before.. Avoid them.. though if you really can't and it just happened then i would just finish the anime and watch something else. My enjoyment might not have been as high as it would of been but i'll just continue and watch something else.

Haven't I seen this topic a few times already o.O
Aug 6, 2012 7:27 AM

Aug 2009
Forced to forget. Regardless of the methods used. If the spoiler happens to be too epic, then there's no hope (e.g. Finding out the ending to "The Crying Game" before watching it, epically hard to forget)
Aug 6, 2012 7:29 AM

May 2012
What sucks is that I spoiled it for myself after reading certain chapter summaries of a LN. I don't know what came over me. I just kept reading each chapter summary because the anime that I spoiled for myself is just so dam good to wait one week to finish. I think I might just start from the beginning of the LN and finish it from there. I've yet to read a LN or VN. Same with manga.
Rest in beats.
- Nujabes

Aug 6, 2012 8:09 AM

Nov 2009
lehonidas said:
Verdale said:
lehonidas said:

I don't.

Haha. Yeah I figured that's too difficult to accept an ending especially if it's sad and spoiled for you :/

I only had one real instance and that was Kobato. I watched episode 1 then the link for episode 2 turned out to be the last episode and I didnt notice for 5 or 6 minutes so I got a fairly healthy dose of spoilers from that so I simply dropped it.
Aug 6, 2012 9:14 AM

Apr 2012
I don't really care, I just keep on watching.
Aug 6, 2012 9:19 AM

Jun 2012
Oh god, if it's a big spoiler I would be complaining about it all day long!

Somebody had once told me the ending of an anime that I REALLY PLANNED TO WATCH and I was like: "^%#(&%#*$&#(%^#&(*%)^#%)#^%#^@!)"

Now, I didn't even watch it.... T^T
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Aug 6, 2012 9:19 AM

Jun 2011
I usually accidentally spoil the anime after about, one episode.

I just continue watching it.
Aug 6, 2012 9:33 AM

Mar 2012
Well, I have a problem with spoiling myself. When I'm watching something and I really want to know what happens to that character in the end, then I research it while wacthing it. After I have, I feel very frustrated and like, "WHY DID I DO THAT?!" and I get sad. But, that just makes me want to watch more of the anime so I can get to see that part, so I usually get over it. Same thing with when I accidently see a spoiler someone posted--it just gets me to watch it even more~ But if it's something I really really wanted to watch and someone tells me the ending, I have an angry rapage. XD Mixed feelings, I guess?
Aug 6, 2012 9:36 AM

Jun 2012
FMA-Xorcist said:
Well, I have a problem with spoiling myself. When I'm watching something and I really want to know what happens to that character in the end, then I research it while wacthing it. After I have, I feel very frustrated and like, "WHY DID I DO THAT?!" and I get sad. But, that just makes me want to watch more of the anime so I can get to see that part, so I usually get over it. Same thing with when I accidently see a spoiler someone posted--it just gets me to watch it even more~ But if it's something I really really wanted to watch and someone tells me the ending, I have an angry rapage. XD Mixed feelings, I guess?

Yes! Same here. T^T I spoil myself too. Crap, I also get fustrated and I'm like "WHY DID I DO THAT?!" Haha... same here. XD
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Aug 6, 2012 9:51 AM

Sep 2011
At first I try to forget the spoiler with every fiber of my being, but since that never works I just look forward to seeing it happen.
Aug 6, 2012 9:57 AM

Oct 2011
To be Honest I don't care about spoilers, I just kill the person who posted that's all. jkroflmfao
Aug 6, 2012 10:04 AM

Aug 2011
I throw a pity party for myself whenever I see a spoiler. It happens to me a lot, but I've learned a few things to prevent spoiling myself.

1. Avoid the MAL forums for anime that have high spoiler potential; a thriller/mystery genre is the worst. I spoiled myself to death reading the Another episode discussions.

2. Actually, for all of the aforementioned anime genres (thriller, mystery, drama, horror, etc.), you would do best just to keep watching. No reading comments or forums at all, or even searching up the anime on google.

3. Which brings me to this: don't google the anime. Go on places like MAL or ADB to find out details. Sometimes you can see spoilers when you google certain parts of the anime (I googled a quote from Gurren Lagann and got spoiled the fuck out of the single most shocking thing in the anime).

4. Absolutely DO NOT search up the anime and/or characters on Youtube. Not even to listen to OSTs or the OP/ED. Control the urge, my friend. Everybody knows there's spoilers in the Youtube comments, but there's often related videos that give spoilers. (I watched a LOGH video. In the related videos was a video showing a major character's death scene. I was like, fuck me.) Oh, and even when you type in your search, and Youtube shows you like a list of most-searched topics - spoilers galore. For example, searching up a certain popular anime character's name will probably drop down a list of horrible spoilers, like "blank dies" "blank and blank kiss" etc.

But for me personally, I don't mind spoilers when it comes to SOL anime or more lighthearted stuff. I know every bit of what's going to happen in Bakuman, and I don't even care. I just look forward to seeing it.
Aug 6, 2012 10:11 AM

Jul 2012
I usually tell myself that they were wrong and pretty much deny the spoilers' existence. Read a major LOGH spoiler on 4chan and I'm sitting here telling myself they were just trolling.
Aug 6, 2012 10:29 AM

Sep 2010
noyoureinsane said:
I usually tell myself that they were wrong and pretty much deny the spoilers' existence. Read a major LOGH spoiler on 4chan and I'm sitting here telling myself they were just trolling.

This is what I do or I just don't watch the series anymore unless its shit and I want to see how it ends without suffering through the series.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 6, 2012 10:33 AM

Aug 2012
if you only know the end it's not the end of all hope :p just try to concentrate on the path they take
Aug 6, 2012 10:35 AM

Apr 2011
I usually bear with it unless it's a spoiler of the ending.

In One Piece, for example, I like many others was spoiled to, well...

It nearly ruined quite a few arcs for me. But it was still more than worth a watch and still enjoyed those parts immensely.
Aug 6, 2012 10:36 AM

Aug 2012
carry on watching.
Aug 6, 2012 10:36 AM
Sep 2009
Honestly, even if a series was already spoiled for me it won't bother me if the presentation is great, I mean I knew how Cowboy Bebop ended before watching it ans I was still amazed. Although I know with certain shows, big plot twist are the point, in which cases I do everything in my power to not get spoiled.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Aug 6, 2012 12:14 PM

May 2012
judojon said:
Honestly, even if a series was already spoiled for me it won't bother me if the presentation is great, I mean I knew how Cowboy Bebop ended before watching it ans I was still amazed. Although I know with certain shows, big plot twist are the point, in which cases I do everything in my power to not get spoiled.

Yeah it was the same for for me with Cowboy Bebop was well but it didn't change my view on the anime. I felt that it was a masterpiece and the ending couldn't have been any more well done.
Rest in beats.
- Nujabes

Aug 6, 2012 2:14 PM
Jul 2012
I try to forget it but I never been able to. I'm less spoiled than before now that I know a bit more how to avoid them. I got spoiled a lot in One Piece and it does piss me off.
Aug 6, 2012 2:24 PM

Apr 2011
Cry in a corner.
Aug 6, 2012 2:55 PM

Mar 2010
i just drop it for few months trying to forget lol
Aug 6, 2012 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
Rage for a while then just deal with knowing. Most of SAO's pretty much spoiled for me but I'll still continue watching it.
Aug 6, 2012 3:13 PM

Mar 2012
I get more excited.
Aug 6, 2012 3:34 PM

May 2012
I'm just like

>_>__>(>_)>__>_> FUCK YOU

And then I proceed to finish the anime. o3o
Aug 6, 2012 3:45 PM
Mar 2011
just because i know the ending doesn't mean i can't enjoy the ride
Aug 6, 2012 4:29 PM

Sep 2011
I usually spoil things for myself anyway since I'm picky about what I watch and there are a few things I just can't deal with in anime. Although it is kind of annoying coming across a spoiler that I didn't look for myself.
Aug 6, 2012 4:39 PM

Jul 2011
Hmm, I try prevent check spoilers accidently as much I can...

If bad thing happened ->

<3

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 6, 2012 4:58 PM

Mar 2012
I cry :(

Lol.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Aug 6, 2012 5:32 PM

Jul 2012
Pinkachus said:
Lols it's not actually a big deal for me.
I usually read wiki synopses alongside the episodes so I know if it's boring enough for me to skip or w/e. A lot of times I end up spoiling it by myself anyway xD

i do the exact same thing :)
Aug 6, 2012 5:41 PM

Oct 2010
Not give even the smallest of damns.

Oh noes, the ending/this part is spoiled!
Who cares? It's still just as enjoyable to see what developments lead up to that said spoiler and to see it in action.
Aug 6, 2012 6:35 PM

Jun 2012
SaberEdge said:
Ive spoiled stuff for myself before, I just go on watching the anime as per usual.

we have to be brother's :']

i also do that a LOT!.

i would recommend to just stop watching the anime until you forget the spoiler.
Aug 6, 2012 6:36 PM
Aug 2012
Id suggest watching another anime then going back to the other anime, hopefully you forgot what you heard lol
Aug 6, 2012 6:37 PM

Jan 2008
Go find and read/play the source material where they got their info for the spoiler. Ain't no spoiler anymore.
Aug 6, 2012 6:46 PM

Feb 2012
I got Death Note spoilers, hadn't even planned to watch it for a while, but after I got spoiled, I watched it immediately and proceeded to be shocked by it anyway. Good stuff. Got Clannad After Story spoiled too but forgot as I was watching it and cried anyway. Even better. And just the other day I got Guilty Crown spoilers, so I guess I have to watch that soon too.

Basically, spoilers make me want to see how things lead up to said spoilers. I hate getting spoiled, but I'm not going to avoid watching something just because I know what's going to happen.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Aug 6, 2012 6:53 PM

Jan 2012
Back then people who saw School Days warned not to see it because they watched it for you and so you don't have to but today that's the main reason why people see it and indulges its shitty-nes. SD is the best example where anti-hype actually works, even I hate it with passion.
---
Aug 6, 2012 7:42 PM

Mar 2009
I don't give a damn. Knowing spoilers doesn't matter to me. I can still watch and enjoy.
Aug 6, 2012 8:21 PM

May 2012
PirateKingz said:
Rage for a while then just deal with knowing. Most of SAO's pretty much spoiled for me but I'll still continue watching it.

I spoiled myself for SAO as well. The sad part is I spoiled myself after reading the LN summaries on a website so I already how the series concludes.
Rest in beats.
- Nujabes

Aug 6, 2012 8:34 PM

Jul 2012
If it's a minor spoiler, I'll still watch it.
If it's a huge plot twist, I won't watch the series for a few months to forget about it.
Aug 6, 2012 10:47 PM

Apr 2012
I don't really care much. I've actually never reacted to spoilers. Though, I was pretty bummed out when I read a spoiler about Code Geass.
Aug 6, 2012 10:53 PM
Apr 2012
I already knew Cowboy Bebop's and TTGL's ending before I watched them, and it ruined it for me. Well, that's my fault 'cause I love reading spoilers.
Aug 6, 2012 11:06 PM

Feb 2012
I don't really care. If it's something really shocking, that sucks for me, but i'm still watching it because i want to see how it happened and everything.
Aug 7, 2012 3:00 PM

Dec 2008
Ah, it's a miserable feeling. When first reading a spoiler I'm like, "WHOA, really?!" only to realize an important certain scene has been revealed to me now.

I try to forget about it, and even pretended to deny it, but that usually never works. But like I've come to understand after coming across so many spoilers: It's not about the ending, but the journey it takes to get there. So you can still watch up to that certain point mainly because you don't know *when* it's coming, and sometimes not even *how* it's coming, but you know *what* is actually coming. So the experience isn't totally ruined. It's all in how you look at it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 25 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

15 by JaniSIr »»
10 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

43 by EastIndiaCompany »»
14 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

105 by Piromysl »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.