Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 5, 2012 9:08 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Space probes become self-aware and turn into humanoid robots so that they can come back to Earth. Then, to top it off they have one of them turn into a giant cat. This show does whatever it wants and hopefully they can keep up this type of randomness for the second half of the series.
prismheartAug 5, 2012 9:15 AM
Aug 5, 2012 9:30 AM

Nov 2007
Cat ear girl is robot/AI? She claims that she's human who has robotic mind, and have saved by them. She cannot see fairies, though.

A guy who's like cat ear girl appears. He said he's sick of missions anymore and want to play. lol @ their fight. They fell and found a place with water.

lol @ him with that liquid monsters becoming huge cat. lol~ he's playing with something that fairy created. It got tired right after that, though. The cat girl undid his transformation.

With the robots' help, they got back successfully.

Voyager (male) and Pioneer (female)? Their mission was to meet unknown species in new planet?

"Watashi" got scolded later, though, and got her hair cut short. Those two who were unable to proceed with the mission are used for their batteries.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 5, 2012 9:35 AM
Mar 2011
I really didn't get that "One hour of winding = 1 minute" thing... If you make wind for one hour (on what??) you'll be able to charge their batteries enough to talk to them for a minute? Doubtful. :rolleyes:
Aug 5, 2012 10:13 AM

Aug 2009
So, as expected, the monolith was indeed Pion (can't call her P-ko, that reminds me of Arakawa under the bridge).

That battle (if you can call it that) was utterly random, higly parodying and ridiculously hilarious.
The second part was unexpectedly serious and kinda atypical of this anime, but interesting. Sentient and self-aware space exploration probes with existential issues. I like it. The fact that the two are based on the real Voyager and Pioneer that NASA sent in space makes them even more interesting.
Overall, this wasn't my favourite episode (Y is hard to beat) but I liked it a lot nevertheless.

P.S. I found the character designs of Pion and Oyage reminiscent of Top wo Nerae 2 TOPLESS.
metamorphiusAug 5, 2012 10:16 AM
Aug 5, 2012 10:20 AM

Jun 2012
Not much really happened... Lets hope it's a bit more focussed next week :)
Aug 5, 2012 10:30 AM

Jul 2010
Voyager reminded me of Viral from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.... Well, they did have the same voice actor.
Aug 5, 2012 11:22 AM

Jan 2010
Togop said:
I really didn't get that "One hour of winding = 1 minute" thing... If you make wind for one hour (on what??) you'll be able to charge their batteries enough to talk to them for a minute? Doubtful. :rolleyes:

Wind as in
to make (a mechanism) operational by tightening the mainspring with a key (often followed by up ): to wind a clock; to wind up a toy.
Aug 5, 2012 12:45 PM

Apr 2008
This episode was a bit hard to follow. All the other ones had pretty clear messages, but what was this one getting at? Machines are people too? Don't go to space? That's a little harder to swallow than artificial food can be bad.

Was also awkward that they never actually showed the shift between the mini monoliths and the humanoid probes. Can't say I really understood that they were actually the same thing rather than just connected until the end.

I liked the parody aspect and the genuine references to the probes, though. Just, not to clear on what they were doing with it. The long backstory at the end wasn't really funny or commentary. Suddenly going for drama? A less obvious parody?

Also, anyone know why Watashi couldn't bear to say Pion?
Aug 5, 2012 12:46 PM

Aug 2008
I find it especially hilarious that the episode about space aired today - when Curiosity spacecraft lands on Mars. Incredible.

Also, that's some advanced moe-anthropomorphism we have here. Seriously, to make this:

look like this:

Makes perfect sense.
I can clearly see nekomimi on the first image though.
Aug 5, 2012 12:59 PM

Aug 2010
Probably one of the best episodes of the series, I really like Pion and Oyage.
I'm glad the MC turned off that generator so they didn't have to go back again to space, even though they cut her hair as punishment...
Also, am I the only one who really dislikes the grandfather? He's so mean.

5/5 episode.
Aug 5, 2012 1:18 PM
Aug 2012
I am completely confused now ;--; . But I wanna get 1 thing straight 1st episode short hair and this short hair arent the same? If so wouldnt that mean next episode she will have long hair again (Is assuming so since this anime doesnt really follow a timeline to stirctly)
Aug 5, 2012 1:23 PM

May 2011
Sayan12 said:
Voyager reminded me of Viral from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.... Well, they did have the same voice actor.

EH? SERIOUSLY!? I knew he sounded like Ikkaku and Viral somehow.

And looks like he and Pion-chan will be staying for a while.
Aug 5, 2012 1:29 PM

Aug 2009
Again a great ep.
Liked the idea of space probes having feelings, it's an interesting thought^^

prismheart said:
This show does whatever it wants and hopefully they can keep up this type of randomness for the second half of the series.

I hope that, too.

Btw, in first ep, I got used to her having short hair, and then she grew it long. Now I got used to her having long hair, and she cuts it short now...well, I don't really mind. She looks cute with short as well as long hair^^
Aug 5, 2012 2:33 PM

Jun 2010
Pretty sure this happened before Episode 1. Note them calling the project 'new' at the beginning of last episode.

It's jumping around on the timeline.

Anyway, decent episode, not as good as the ones before it though.
Aug 5, 2012 2:46 PM

Mar 2012
Space probes have feelings too!
Aug 5, 2012 2:51 PM

Mar 2012
:( ahh her her is short again
Aug 5, 2012 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
This episode was more drugged than usual, yet the details were consistent.
What surprised me was the pioneer anomaly. It was simply and absolutely brilliant, a move of genius of the author, sensational.
I cried.

Pioneer x Voyager forever!

ChitOKun said:

Also, that's some advanced moe-anthropomorphism we have here. Seriously, to make this:

look like this:

Makes perfect sense.

+2000 internet points for you!
PaninaManinaAug 5, 2012 3:29 PM
Aug 5, 2012 3:30 PM

Sep 2011
I wonder why Pion couldn't see the fairies.
Aug 5, 2012 3:44 PM

Jul 2010
Her hair is probably going to magically grow again, isn't it?
Aug 5, 2012 3:53 PM

Oct 2011
Big Daddy? :D

So next to having totally random and weird plot they also added confusing timeline (as this episode takes place before the first one). How nice of them :D
or it did not but that's fine

Pioneer anomaly... nice touch here (and it was well used here).
I like when it goes to some serious regions - being totally random all the time would be a waste.
Aug 5, 2012 4:12 PM

Nov 2009
Sury said:

Probably weren't programmed like that. Or because they're not humans...

Seems like the story goes in this order (until further notice)

1. Fairies Homecoming
2. Factory
3. Subculture

As to how O-boy and P-girl changed...could it be a work of the fairies?? That their exploration made them in contact with "unidentified" lifeforms?

Oh well, I'm excited for the next ep!
witchhuntressAug 7, 2012 12:36 AM

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Aug 5, 2012 4:19 PM

Mar 2008
Sury said:

I have one theory for that.
Faeries live only through human imagination and fantasy. As we see in the ending animation, the fairies taught many things to humans, helping them to lift civilization. Except that when humans acquired a certain level of technology they entered the age of reason.
The fairies said they can not stand electromagnetic waves. I imagine that technology is bad for them because it decreases the fantasy in the minds of humans. Humans stop believing in mythologies.

As a machine Pioneer can't see them.

I predict that will be explained or shown that the fairies reappeared in the world because humans entered another dark age. Humans don't know anything anymore and the world came back to be a mystery, making room for belief in myths and folklore, besides not having more consumer electronics to threaten the fairies. Note that in Comiket episode faeries keep away from scene. It would not be because they were keeping away from the printers?
Aug 5, 2012 4:35 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
PaninaManina said:
What surprised me was the pioneer anomaly.
Yes, I was astonished that this particular piece of information was included in an anime.

I also picked up that bit about the probes not being able to see the fairies immediately and am going down some of the same paths several others here are.

Watashi's hair - yes, time wise this arc occurs before the arcs in the first 4 episodes. If you recall from a prior episode (1?) she mentions she lost her hair "in that human monument incident"
Aug 5, 2012 5:42 PM
Sep 2011
Didn't understand a word of the second half but giant kitten VS fairy squid thing made me almost die laughing.
I am happy the shown how her hair was cut and established this was a prequel episode although if it was a prequel I am curious how the mangager is the vice president of the food factory from the first story arc.
Overall was a good, funny but confusing episode.
Aug 5, 2012 6:12 PM

May 2010
NOOOOO!!! She got a hair cut again. ;_;
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Aug 5, 2012 6:27 PM

Apr 2009
Hah I suspected she was the tablet monolith last episode, I was right! XD

No shit! Is that Nobuyuki Hiyama's voice I hear, then I'm already sold twice over. LOL

IchigoHollowfi said:
NOOOOO!!! She got a hair cut again. ;_;

No this was the first time her hair was cut, the events in this episode is probably before episode 1 where she'll magically grow her hair back in the end and one that moves as well.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 5, 2012 6:41 PM

May 2010
Big Daddy evolve to Super Strong Giant Cat.
Aug 5, 2012 6:58 PM

Apr 2012
I had trouble understanding Oyage's explanation of Pion's (pioneer) anomaly. This is what I seem to have understand, but it makes little to no sense for me.

She conducted a pH test (around Uranus) and found the results depressing. Therefore, she, not wanting to miss the warmth of the solar system, decided to decelerate and turn back to earth. On her way back, she found Oyage (Voyager) and brought him with her back to earth. Oyage landed before her and damaged himself in a way to remove his memories, while clothing himself in some mysterious slime to protect himself from microwaves that would self-repair his memories. Meanwhile, Pion crashes into Earth and also loses her memories, which she doesn't regain until she exposes herself and Oyage to microwaves.

1) What does a pH test have anything to do with warmth or even the detection of life forms?

2) Does Oyage hop back to earth with Pion or return back to earth only because of the Human Monument signal? If it's the latter, how does Oyage know of Pion?

3) How do microwaves damage Pion and Oyage and where did their self-repair technology come from (certainly, we didn't have such tech in the 70s)?

4) Oyage claims he was self-aware before being sent into space. How does that work or is the audience meant to suspend their disbelief momentarily?

5) Based on Pion and Oyage's conversations, it seems they didn't find any other lifeforms. If the fairies are a life-form, why doesn't Pion pick them up? (PaninaManina has an interesting hypothesis)

6) What are the slimes???

The episode was very confusing for me, but I did catch onto the main theme. It's hilarious how all the humans treat the two probes as robots, while revealing the existence of very real human emotions from the two of them.
Aug 5, 2012 7:41 PM

Oct 2011
i hope she gets her hair back in the next episode.
Aug 5, 2012 7:58 PM
May 2008
s2012k1993 said:

1) What does a pH test have anything to do with warmth or even the detection of life forms?

If I understood it right, this was a frankly astounding mistranslation on Crunchyroll's part.

The actual sentence spoken there was "それが塩基計算機ともなればどうなんだよ?" which would seem to me to mean "But what if that were a base computer?" - contextually related to the earlier sentence "Computers are meant to determine if an error exists."

The Japanese word equivalent to base is specifically the biological meaning of the term, which I suppose is where the script translator got 'pH test' from. However, I believe it's referring to a DNA base, meaning a DNA computer. (Googling 塩基計算機 finds it used in a review of Greg Bear's novel Blood Music, which covers a similar topic.)

I believe the implication is that the computers on board Pioneer and Voyager were biological in nature and prone to loneliness and sentiment as a result - a 2ch thread describing P-ko commented 塩基計算機を搭載していて人並の思考秩序(意識や感情)があり, meaning something like 'she is equipped with a DNA computer which is capable of human-like thought (consciousness and emotion.)'
Aug 5, 2012 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
Love how the Fairy density helped them when they fell through the hole xD
"Now's the time for you to run towards the day you awaken from this dream."

~Boys be Smile
Aug 5, 2012 8:58 PM

Jan 2011
ChitOKun said:
I find it especially hilarious that the episode about space aired today - when Curiosity spacecraft lands on Mars. Incredible.

look like this:

Makes perfect sense.

Now I can't stop seeing an ahoge on Voyage lol

Aug 5, 2012 9:20 PM

Sep 2010
is bioshock that big in Japan as well? or was that just some sort of amazing coincidence? :V

and i was wondering why her hair wasnt showing any of its life-saving capabilities then.
Aug 5, 2012 9:33 PM

Apr 2011
So both episode 5 & 6 were prequels then? Interesting. It showed why her hair was cut in the first place. I've seen two dumb dumb comments on this discussion thinking we're still on the present day time line when we're not. This is a flashback explaining how she "botched" the Human Monument Project as she was saying in the first episode. Next episode is probably back to where we were in episode 4. I really enjoy this awesome random ass crap this series is throwing at us viewers. Complete absurdity. I like it. ^_^
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Aug 5, 2012 9:39 PM
May 2008
Catastrophic said:
is bioshock that big in Japan as well?

In the original novel, that moment is described as "As we sank to our knees by the shore, and used both our hands to scoop the water up, O-something-or-other (diving suit ver.) appeared from beneath the surface."

So no, I don't think it has anything to do with BioShock.
Aug 5, 2012 10:02 PM

Aug 2011
"Why is the ocean the ocean?"

xD
Aug 5, 2012 10:03 PM

Aug 2008
TwinBrave said:
"Why is the ocean the ocean?"

It's as if her mental power was being cut along with her hair.
Aug 5, 2012 10:25 PM

Aug 2010
LOL this anime is weird and I love it
Aug 5, 2012 10:29 PM

Apr 2012
I loved the giant cat's special attack "God Tail Philadelphia" - that name just makes me laugh.

Anyway, great episode - gave me a bit of a Star Trek vibe with the self-aware space probes though.
Aug 5, 2012 11:19 PM

Aug 2009
So this took place before first ep? Wow, didn't get that^^ Gonna rewatch the whole thing sometime ;-)
Aug 6, 2012 12:22 AM

Sep 2011
Aug 6, 2012 12:48 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Viral, is that you? What are you doing here? Oh boy! x3 (lame pun..)

So that would explain why Watashi had short hair in episode 1 because the series of events in this anime didn't happen chronologically....where episodes 5-6 happened first before episode 1, correct?
Aug 6, 2012 12:50 AM

Aug 2011
LunyRed said:

So if they cut Watashi's hair here, then does that mean this chronologically leads to episode 1 where she had short hair from the start of the series?

Yup, episodes 5 and 6 are before episode 1.
Aug 6, 2012 12:51 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
TwinBrave said:
Yup, episodes 5 and 6 are before episode 1.

Ah, thanks. I made a minor edit right after you quoted my post.. ^_^;;
Aug 6, 2012 1:27 AM
Jul 2012
This show just continues to ratio nonsensical slapstick humor with satire almost masterfully. God I haven't enjoyed watching a series in a long time.
Aug 6, 2012 1:50 AM

Aug 2011
A deep space exploration drone chooses, a slave obeys.
Aug 6, 2012 3:08 AM
May 2012
it is quite funny that some people didn't figure that it is not in chronological order,
cuz it was clearly mentioned in ep 1 that her hair got cut due to a punishment,
so this incident caused the punishment,...
Aug 6, 2012 4:06 AM

May 2008
What ,erm ahhh ermm okay the humor in the show makes me o.o

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 6, 2012 5:19 AM
Jun 2008
this ep

after being saved main girl called pion the name p-girl then continue explore.
give main girl assume p-girl a robot then meet other named oyage aka o-taro.
cue big bulldozer attack til p-girl charge it then all fall in hole.
all ok now in see water with o-taro in battle armor with a drill.
then decide to combine with slime to form tengen toppa giant cat!!!
give assistant with shield & sword to fight but main girl said no need.
then cat attack til cue help from shell squid piloted by fairies.
p-girl call got microwave blast on giant cat to stop o-taro.
then all get found & rescue give main's grandpa bit hmm.
oh both p-girl & o-taro are space probes in human forms.
give after some talk village people want to send human probes to space.
main girl sorta "oops" it give only cost her hair.
so now let both p-girl & o-taro stay in give they need wind-up powered.

to the next ep.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Aug 6, 2012 5:35 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
7HS said:
s2012k1993 said:

If I understood it right, this was a frankly astounding mistranslation on Crunchyroll's part.
Whoa! I REALLY appreciate that. The rest of what was said there now falls into place.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

prismheart - Jul 22, 2012

124 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:54 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Aug 26, 2012

118 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 1, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Aug 19, 2012

144 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 1, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

prismheart - Aug 12, 2012

132 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 1, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

prismheart - Sep 16, 2012

246 by superwaha »»
Feb 24, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.