MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Do I have to watch naruto before shippuden?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Naruto: Shippuuden »» Do I have to watch naruto before shippuden?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
08-02-12, 12:51 PM

I want to watch Naruto but all my friends say shippuden is way better. but it's a sequel.. so should I just skip naruto (First one) and start shippuden or will I miss out on the story and other stuff? :S

08-02-12, 12:52 PM

You'll miss out on the story since Shippuden picks up where Naruto left off.

Watch Naruto first.

08-02-12, 1:03 PM

What does it matter if the Shippuden is better? It's all the same story and regardless of what part is better most people start stories from the beginning.

08-02-12, 1:05 PM

Not sure what's worse, thinking skipping the first season of something would be fine, or people thinking Shippuden is better. Just watch the first season otherwise you are just jumping into a rather long story right in the middle of it. Hardly the ideal way to enjoy something
Myanimelist is just a crappy game.

08-02-12, 1:11 PM

Indeed, the sequel is better, but still you should watch the prequel first (Naruto)..

08-02-12, 1:42 PM

I dare say you have to watch it.

Many story elements, characters and big chunk of character development is done in Naruto. Shippuuden just continued the story. Good luck

08-02-12, 1:44 PM

Watch it, the plot is quite important, and here is a list which has episodes you can skip, nothing important, saves a lot of time as well, and watch the last episode which is 220, important to the story.
Naruto (1-220)
Episode: 026 (recap show)
Episode: 097
Episode: 101-106
Episode: 137-140
Episode: 143-219

08-07-12, 12:38 AM

For me, the Classic Naruto is better than Shippuden....

08-07-12, 10:22 AM

Well i guess its everyone's opinion but personally i think the original series stayed more true to the manga, with consistent animation and not near as much pacing issues. On the other hand shipuuden's animation is some times inconsistent at times and pacing in the story even during canon arcs, a bit to many flash backs, and recaps, poor quality character designs, etc. Then of course their are times where the animation is just fluid and really solid, you wonder why some times the animators get lazy during some episodes. Thankfully that does not really happen in the original series though.

But over all its a fantastic franchise and yes naturally start with the first one. I don't even know why you would even ask that question to begin with.
It is absolutely a sin to be an anime fan and not at least experience "Akira" once in your life time.

[img]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/link9us.png[/img]

[img]http://backloggery.com/link9us/sig.gif[/img]

08-07-12, 10:29 AM

Karpman said:
Watch it, the plot is quite important, and here is a list which has episodes you can skip, nothing important, saves a lot of time as well, and watch the last episode which is 220, important to the story.
Naruto (1-220)

Episode 97 is pretty hilarious though i wouldn't skip it. Really their is hardly no filler in naruto, the only filler arc is the land of tea arc witch is episodes 101-106. But 101 you just can't miss, that has to be the best filler episode in the whole series :P

Also 220 is important, its half filler half manga, it details the final parts of the actual story before shippuuden. Other wise will you will be left in the dark just jumping to shipuuden. But as far episodes 135 to 219, yeah its pretty much all filer with the acception of episodes 141 and 142.

Here is an extremely useful guide that me and Zanzabar kind of constructed.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=350747
It is absolutely a sin to be an anime fan and not at least experience "Akira" once in your life time.

08-10-12, 2:34 AM

Definitely watch Naruto first and then shippuden.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 860 OC @ 3.80 GHz, P7P55D LE, GTX 670 DC-2, 8GB RAM Apacer 1600MHz, CM HAFX,
CMV8, CMSP600W, Win7x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Tom's Hardware!

08-10-12, 10:18 AM

that's like asking if you should watch gintama before gintama', they are the same thing

08-10-12, 10:52 AM

Karpman said:
Naruto (1-220)

Is the episode where Mizuki returns (bad guy from episode 1) filler? Isn't episode 134 the last canon one until the final scene of 220? :O

08-10-12, 4:27 PM

Naruto shippuden shows what happens after two years of training. If you don't know what was before it would just seem weird

08-10-12, 6:05 PM

In most cases I would say watch the prequel first, but there are so many flashback to the first series it's insane, so really it depends on you. Thats an extra 150 or so episodes and if you dont have the time for that but still wanna be able to talk naruto with your friends you could probably skip the first season, plus they could fill in any blanks for you.

08-10-12, 6:30 PM

WyattEarp said:

In most cases I would say watch the prequel first, but there are so many flashback to the first series it's insane, so really it depends on you. Thats an extra 150 or so episodes and if you dont have the time for that but still wanna be able to talk naruto with your friends you could probably skip the first season, plus they could fill in any blanks for you.

Enough flashbacks to recount all 220 episodes, I think not. Almost all of the flashbacks in Shippuden are of from the same scenes.

Naruto has the start of Naruto's ninja career, it is also where he does a lot of his growing, and where you meet a lot of the main good guys and bad guys that will stay throughout Shippuden. Therefore I advise you to watch Naruto first or else you wouldn't even think that Naruto Shippuden is a good series let alone understand it. If you figure out how much episodes you can watch a day, you can estimate how long it will take you to finish the series so that you can get to Shippuden faster.

08-10-12, 6:54 PM

A few months ago, I also decided to start watching Naruto and like you, I could not decide whether or not to watch the first Naruto or start at Naruto Shippuden.

220 episodes seemed like too many to watch before even starting Shippuden (Which is currently on around 270ish episodes itself..) but, Naruto is one of those anime that people have a hard time to stop watching and before you know it, you've already watched 100 or so episodes.

So, I think its a good idea to watch the first Naruto before starting Shippuden.

08-10-12, 10:28 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
WyattEarp said:

Enough flashbacks to recount all 220 episodes, I think not. Almost all of the flashbacks in Shippuden are of from the same scenes.

Naruto has the start of Naruto's ninja career, it is also where he does a lot of his growing, and where you meet a lot of the main good guys and bad guys that will stay throughout Shippuden. Therefore I advise you to watch Naruto first or else you wouldn't even think that Naruto Shippuden is a good series let alone understand it. If you figure out how much episodes you can watch a day, you can estimate how long it will take you to finish the series so that you can get to Shippuden faster.

This is not even debatable and should never be so. I don't care what others say. You are simply missing some of the most important elements of the show and introduction to characters as well as the story which has an overarching plot that is absolutely essential to understand all of the plot details in shippuuden. So the short answer is, YES watch the first naruto. This is really a no brainier, i mean come on.

08-10-12, 10:29 PM

Mikasa said:
Karpman said:
Naruto (1-220)

Is the episode where Mizuki returns (bad guy from episode 1) filler? Isn't episode 134 the last canon one until the final scene of 220? :O

135 is the end of the arc but technically 142 is the last episode of any sort of canonical material, before episode 220.

If you watch 141, 142 and 220 in succession you will notice that parts of the plot are intertwined, but they are very subtle.
Modified by link9us, 08-10-12, 10:39 PM

08-29-12, 11:04 AM

I only watched 135 eps of the original Naruto, then moved onto Shippuuden (which I'm practically current with, only a little behind). I feel like I missed nothing important. I didn't even know that 220 had something "important" until I read this thread today. Although now I may go back to see what exactly that is.
Anyways, I'm just saying that I would be fine with recommending to someone that they watch the first 135 eps and just move on to Shippuuden. I watched all of the filler that was in those 135 eps, but I would not say it's necessary to watch that, either.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices