Forum Settings
Forums

Shaft's New Original Anime 'Prism Nana' Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 2, 2012 12:21 AM

Mar 2012
The character designs are amazing ! I am looking forward to it !
Aug 2, 2012 12:28 AM

Aug 2011
Excited!
Aug 2, 2012 1:06 AM

Sep 2010
my life could always use a bit more shaft

no double meanings intended
Aug 2, 2012 1:35 AM

Oct 2009
shaft yeahhh bring back those awesome weird animes to me!!
Aug 2, 2012 2:41 AM

Apr 2011
Madoka Magica 2.0, yay...

We're going to see another title get absolutely ridiculous hype that rivals Naruto's hype. Seriously, Madoka has become as popular as Naruto practically.
Aug 2, 2012 3:10 AM

Mar 2010
Oh god Oh god!!!!!! its Shaft!!!!!!! I dont care about the details Ill watch it! :DDD <3
Aug 2, 2012 3:25 AM

Aug 2011
Character designs look nice. Will definitely watch this, and not just because it looks similar to Madoka ;D
Aug 2, 2012 9:09 AM

Feb 2010
somehow it reminds me of precure o:
Aug 2, 2012 9:12 AM

Aug 2010
And let the hype begin. I'll more than surely add to it.

Very nice character designs :3
Aug 2, 2012 9:19 AM

Jul 2011
A MILLION TIMES FUCKING YES
Aug 2, 2012 9:25 AM

Jun 2009
Shaft doing another magical girls show? I'm all up for it.
Aug 2, 2012 4:18 PM

Sep 2011
angelronin said:
It be kind ironic they did sort a reconstruction of magical girl genre after Madoka

Madoka was both a deconstruction and reconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. The initial universe was the deconstruction. Madoka's wish basically created a more conventional magical girl universe where they fight evil, with the possibility of death of course.

This one looks like light and fluffy magical musical girl to me. There's alot of music notes floating around plus one image shows an electric guitar as a weapon?
Aug 2, 2012 4:22 PM

Oct 2008

That certainly looks too innocent. Final boss confirmed!
Aug 2, 2012 10:17 PM
Jun 2012
i'm getting wary on this... another cute anime mahou shoujo that might possibly become madokaesque...
Aug 2, 2012 11:34 PM

Nov 2011
More goodness from Shaft, look forward to it.
Aug 2, 2012 11:41 PM

Nov 2008
*is suspicious*

If that's a Mahou Shoujo I know that the character I'll be attached to will die horribly.

Aug 3, 2012 1:39 AM

Feb 2008
Blue will be the best girl.

Deal w/ it, peoples.
Aug 3, 2012 9:32 AM

Jun 2010
Looks interesting enough.
Aug 4, 2012 12:36 AM

Nov 2010
i wonder what kind of story? :"))))))
o.0
Aug 4, 2012 5:34 AM

Dec 2010
YESSSSSSSSSS MY LIFE IS COMPLETE
Aug 4, 2012 6:02 AM

Aug 2007
Looking at the designs looks like a magic girl anime. I'll wait.
Aug 10, 2012 4:13 AM

Dec 2010
I'm actually looking forward to this.
Aug 10, 2012 5:08 AM

Jul 2007
Useless Urobochi is involved in this one I'm not expecting it to be a "dark" mahou shoujo as Madoka, but being Shaft the one behind it, I'm still curious about it. Let's wait for Comiket for the details~
Aug 10, 2012 6:39 AM

Dec 2009
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 10, 2012 7:31 AM

Apr 2010
Marow said:

This looks absolutely amazing.

Aug 10, 2012 8:40 AM

May 2009
Marow said:

That's quite a lot they've got there. Maybe this is a secret project they've been working on in the time we didn't hear from Shaft?

The girls' names are:
- Washioka Itaru (brown-haired girl)
- Asagi Asuka (blond girl)
- Oribe Kotone (blue-haired girl)

Apparently, they form a band. Itaru plays contrabass, Kotone plays guitar and Asuka plays drums. I assume Kotone is the singer (unless they all sing, of course).

And unless my ears are deceiving me (and nothing gets changed halfway through), Kotone will be voiced by Rie Kugimiya, meaning she'll yet again be voicing a tsundere loli. I can't make out the other two, maybe someone else can?

Edit: I've been told it's actually Eri Kitamura. I guess we'll need a better quality PV or announcement of the cast to make sure.
Firelord76Aug 10, 2012 12:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2012 9:37 AM

Sep 2010
Their mahou shoujo outfits look as dull as the next mahou shoujo outfit.
Don't think I'll watch another one of those.

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here
Aug 10, 2012 9:42 AM

Jul 2011
If k-on was a magic girl show, done by shaft.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS
Aug 10, 2012 2:32 PM
Jul 2011
I'd really like to add this to my list but the site search is giving me nothing. Is it not in the database yet?
Aug 10, 2012 2:48 PM

Jul 2012
akai12 said:
I'd really like to add this to my list but the site search is giving me nothing. Is it not in the database yet?

It's more than likely in the queue.

Merushi said:
Their mahou shoujo outfits look as dull as the next mahou shoujo outfit.
Don't think I'll watch another one of those.

That's one of the worst reasons I've heard for not watching an anime.
Aug 10, 2012 9:07 PM

Oct 2008
From the promo material, this looks to be more in line with what people would expect from a Mahou Shoujo.

It should be good it its own way then, though I don't expect it to be earthshattering and genre defining like Madoka.

Then again, Madoka's OP and promo material trolled the majority of us...
Aug 11, 2012 7:18 AM
Aug 11, 2012 12:58 PM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:
It should be good it its own way then, though I don't expect it to be earthshattering and genre defining like Madoka.

I usually know better than to go by people's lists, but I have to wonder if you've ever even seen a Mahou Shoujo anime. Most people who've seen more than simply a few episodes of Sailor Moon wouldn't consider Madoka groundbreaking or genre defining in any way.

As for Prism Nana, I'm glad the PV had more to show for it than the ones for Madoka.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByTeuBgAeg
I'll keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't turn into another shock value-grimdark affair, I'll give it a try.
Aug 11, 2012 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
RLinksoul said:
Omniknight said:

I usually know better than to go by people's lists, but I have to wonder if you've ever even seen a Mahou Shoujo anime. Most people who've seen more than simply a few episodes of Sailor Moon wouldn't consider Madoka groundbreaking or genre defining in any way.

As for Prism Nana, I'm glad the PV had more to show for it than the ones for Madoka.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByTeuBgAeg
I'll keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't turn into another shock value-grimdark affair, I'll give it a try.

I've seen SM. I wouldn't think Madoka was half as innovative as it was if Usagi took nearly the entire series to take up the mantle of Sailor Moon, the Senshi were really just fighting themselves, and there was less resurrection. Also if that cast remained all women it really would have been something for its time.

Aug 11, 2012 2:17 PM

Jun 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Marow said:

This looks absolutely amazing.

Anybody else notice the ghost at 0:17?
Aug 11, 2012 2:44 PM
Sep 2011
jmal said:
Where Madoka made its mark was in the way it married very traditional mahou shoujo styling with much darker, more serious material more typical of the late night broadcast slot it had.

Except for that broadcast slot part this is nothing new. The Magical Girl genre has seen dark stories and death in the past. To name a classic example, the title character of Magical Princess Minky Momo getting run over by a truck and killed. It was every bit as sudden as a well known Madoka example, but it wasn't portrayed in a graphic and family-unfriendly manner like the latter.

Princess Tutu is another Magical Girl show that tackles dark themes, as does the Precure series when it's not in filler-mode.

The manga of Sailor Moon is also known to be far darker than the anime, case in point. http://manga.animea.net/sailor-moon-chapter-14-page-38.html

I could go on, but I've made my point, even if it's not agreed on by the fans of that show. To someone who's only seen the weakest side of the genre it can seem like Madoka is doing something new and brilliant. But once you look past the initial presentation and the resulting shock value/trolling it's basically the same thing in a new, gritty and angsty wrapper.
Aug 11, 2012 3:03 PM
Sep 2011
jmal said:
I didn't expect to convince someone who has a grudge against the show, of course. But the explanation stands. If you want to think everyone who sees something novel in Madoka is just ignorant of mahou shoujo history, you'd probably be surprised.

Actually, a lot of what you said does make sense and I can see why a Magical Girl show rooted in Faustian themes would seem like a refreshing change from the norm. But a refreshing change doesn't necessarily mean one has redefined the genre.
Aug 11, 2012 3:21 PM

Aug 2011
I've always been a huge fan of Shaft but this looks horribly generic... I hope this isn't just them capitalizing on the success of the Madoka cast and is more interesting than it looks so far.
Aug 11, 2012 3:40 PM

Oct 2011
RLinksoul said:
jmal said:
I didn't expect to convince someone who has a grudge against the show, of course. But the explanation stands. If you want to think everyone who sees something novel in Madoka is just ignorant of mahou shoujo history, you'd probably be surprised.

Actually, a lot of what you said does make sense and I can see why a Magical Girl show rooted in Faustian themes would seem like a refreshing change from the norm. But a refreshing change doesn't necessarily mean one has redefined the genre.
But in long time it can.
Late night shows can start changing a bit in the future - they see that Madoka or Nanoha was bestseller so why not experiment. Most will fail but there may be more and more of "clones" of those two that are successes. It's redefining of genre for me :)
We had Symphogear which in it's clumsy way tried to do something similar to Madoka (not that it worked or there is some connection, it's thought I had while watching it), there is Sailor Moon show that can also go into dark areas. Maybe Prism Nana will be one of those.

"Normal" Magical Girls shows won't be affected by it, simply because they are already quite dark - we had HeartCatch Precure and kids hearts being turned into monsters: among other things. Or whole idea of Labyrinth from Fresh not to mention Infinity.
And going any further will mean that parents may have obiections towards it = no toys or other stuff for kids :(
Aug 11, 2012 6:19 PM

Oct 2008
RLinksoul said:
Omniknight said:

Madoka isn't my favourite anime because it is mahou shoujo. It's my favourite because it hit all the points of great storytelling: intriguing plot, immaculate pacing, memorable characters, thought-provoking, beautiful symbolism and imagery, great soundtrack. It redefined the genre for me. Yes, the only two Mahou Shoujo I've ever watched is Madoka and Nanoha. This is because in general I'm not much of a sticker for happy-go-lucky plots where the protagonist is never in really any danger. Nor am I much of a fan of enemy of the week, which happens in a lot of mahou shoujo and shounen genres. This is just what I like.

And Madoka is groundbreaking. I keep quoting this from a blog because I can't convey the message any better.

OmniknightAug 11, 2012 6:28 PM
Aug 11, 2012 7:46 PM

Jan 2012
another project we can look forward to from based shaft, hopefully it's going to print them lots of money again. Don't really know what to expect here though
Aug 12, 2012 5:04 AM
Aug 2011
After watching the PV I'm not expecting any Madoka 2.0

Although I never saw Madoka's promo material, I still stand with my statement.

I'm just going to watch it. Whether it brings forth a new element into the Mahou Shoujo genre or modifies a existing element or even does every by the book of typical Mahou Shoujo. I'll simply watch it for wanting to.
Aug 12, 2012 6:01 AM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:
It redefined the genre for me. Yes, the only two Mahou Shoujo I've ever watched is Madoka and Nanoha.

It didn't have to try too hard, being the very second one you've watched.

Omniknight said:
This is because in general I'm not much of a sticker for happy-go-lucky plots where the protagonist is never in really any danger.

And you've pretty much proven my point. At least give something a try before you brush off an entire genre and claim only it's two oddballs are any good. Princess Tutu is another one that seems to be well liked by older males, enough to be compared to ninjas dueling with guitars in terms of awesomeness. And of course it hits all the marks you mentioned, at least I believe it does.
RLinksoulAug 12, 2012 7:52 AM
Aug 12, 2012 4:34 PM

May 2011
It's shaft.
It'll be 10/10 like the rest.
Just take my money.

And anyone who tries to compare this to Madoka needs a lesson on how reconstructions and deconstructions work.
I don't see people comparing Gurren Lagann to Evangelion. They're polar opposites. This will be the same.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 14, 2012 7:57 AM
Sep 2011
I can't find this anime on MAL. Why?
Aug 14, 2012 12:11 PM

May 2009
Mehar said:
I can't find this anime on MAL. Why?

Backlog. They have a lot of entries to sift through, apparently.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2012 12:39 PM

Oct 2011
Bobbypick said:
And anyone who tries to compare this to Madoka needs a lesson on how reconstructions and deconstructions work.
I don't see people comparing Gurren Lagann to Evangelion. They're polar opposites. This will be the same.
First people have to learn what is deconstruction and reconstruction so they won't be using those terms to describe Madoka.
Being dark doesn't equal being deconstruction (this thing I read few times here).
Aug 14, 2012 12:44 PM

Sep 2011
The art is gorgeous even though based on the trailer it's Definately not another Madoka.

Aug 17, 2012 2:08 PM

Nov 2009

I will watch it. Even if it doesn't turn out like Madoka (let's face it, Madoka 2 won't happen, cos the surprise is gone, we know what Shaft are capable of with the genres xD).
Aug 19, 2012 1:37 AM
Sep 2011
nice. not sure if shaft already mastered the genre, but i can say that they are indeed knowledgable about it. this is gonna be in my watchlist

!! btw. character design is kantoku's >>:)))) no doubting it,, also confirmed it in his site
KANTOKU ftw
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
3 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.