Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2008 9:21 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I kinda dislike long flashbacks, but it was good to get to know shanas past
Jun 4, 2009 11:10 AM

Dec 2008
long flash back? no this was only 3 episodes.
heh you should watch gungrave, lol or even better, berserk.

the battle with shiro seemed lame for some reason though.
Jul 20, 2009 3:26 PM

Jul 2009
Lol she ate spam ^^
Destiny~
Jul 22, 2009 2:04 AM

Jun 2009
so boring:-(
Aug 19, 2009 11:00 AM

Feb 2009
I kinda dislike long flashbacks, but it was good to get to know shanas past
-x-
YES! I AGREE COMPLETELY!!
I want your soul... so please, click.
Aug 27, 2009 5:27 PM

Aug 2009
Hopefully the story line will pick up and they will finded a villain that isn't emotionally disturbing.
Oct 16, 2009 8:48 AM

Jan 2009
O_o the skeleton turned out to be a pretty decent guy... Too bad she had to kill him :(.

So nice long flashback is over ^^, Yay! not amazing nor bad just something that needed to be done in my opinion. now i wanna see more of the main plot "_".

Nov 25, 2009 12:17 PM

Aug 2008
I want to know more about the previous flamehaze, she seems a lot more interesting.
Jan 17, 2010 11:20 PM

Nov 2009
Its good to know more of shana's past, from the way it seems this would be the first time shes been able to [somewhat] experience what living a normal life is like (going to school etc)
Apr 11, 2010 5:52 AM

Aug 2009
Meh, her past didn't really interest me.
But it was an okay episode.
Apr 16, 2010 5:01 PM

Jan 2010
i liked this 3 episodes. it was good to know more about her... but i kinda forgot the main story xD lol now have to rethink about everything once again xP
hmm as for shiro.. yum xD :D me lajks:D
"If it's your wish, I will follow you everywhere, Even if your throne crumbles, And your shiny crown turns to rust, Even if the bodies pile up endlessly, Above the bottomless pile corpses, Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be.....Until i hear the words "check Mate." ♥
Jun 20, 2010 5:59 PM
Jun 2010
that was a total epic fail for a background story, they kept throwing us random fact and the fights didn't make sense at all. The only thing I understood :

Shana was a human before and replaced the old red hair red hot eye lady. The maid was a princess before ? maybe... everything else is sooo random and pointless.

Oct 2, 2010 7:53 PM

Feb 2010
so that's why she like melon bread
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2010 3:47 PM

Aug 2010
Cool story... sis. Is it just me, or I heard Shana laughing skittishly at the end? :> I start to like her attitude.

Tasty, delicous SPAM!

Oct 26, 2010 6:10 PM

Sep 2008
I agree with most others. It was nice to get to know Shana's past and part of how she became a Flame Haze (and how she came to like melon-pan so much). A lot of it didn't really make sense to me, or, well, just went unexplained (uh... where did Wilhemina come from again? Can we get some info on the previous red-haired red-eyed Shana-like person?). Guess there's no time for covering those things though...

Ready to move on now. Let's keep the plot moving foooooorward~. It was nice to see Shana being a little bit more playful and less "RAWRARAWR" at the end.
Jan 2, 2011 1:20 AM

Sep 2010
ALL that just too find out why she likes melon bread so much? Geez...

>>
AngelicFecesJan 2, 2011 1:50 AM
Sep 14, 2011 11:15 PM

Jan 2011
I would have liked a bit more information on what appeared to be the love triangle with the previous version of Shana, Wilhelmina, and the skeleton guy.

Looks like a good episode coming up.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Dec 15, 2011 11:12 PM

Mar 2011
I'm happy the flashback is finally over.
Aug 2, 2012 3:43 PM

Mar 2012
TowardsTheStars said:
I'm happy the flashback is finally over.

This!

Although the music was good in this ep.
"We're nothing more than fools and whores with sad highs"
Sep 8, 2012 5:54 AM
Jan 2010
MelbShaw said:
so that's why she like melon bread

I know i totally get it now!!

on another subject that left me with a lot of side questions... is shana like a reincarnation you know with the "i'll always choose this path" thing?
Jan 21, 2013 9:12 PM

Jan 2013
Dude they didnt tell us everything in this episode because its a 3 season anime.

If all you want in ninja fighting watch a more adult anime.
Mar 14, 2013 5:54 PM

Jul 2012
(I don't know if this topic is still "alive" or anything, but here goes:)

1. This still doesn't explain why she still likes melon bread, because from what I've seen, see has still liked melon bread even before the flashback began (although the ending did appear like it could be a possible reason.)

2. I noticed that Shana does not really change in height, if at all, between the flashback and the current.

Just some random comments, that's all.

"KissAnime.com -- High quality anime online" - The best website to watch and/or download anime online!
(Warning: If you have Adblock, then Please Disable Adblock before and while you go to that site. There is an "Anti-Adblock Mechanism".)
Jan 20, 2014 6:42 AM

Jan 2013
RandomUser101 said:
(I don't know if this topic is still "alive" or anything, but here goes:)

1. This still doesn't explain why she still likes melon bread, because from what I've seen, see has still liked melon bread even before the flashback began (although the ending did appear like it could be a possible reason.)

2. I noticed that Shana does not really change in height, if at all, between the flashback and the current.

Just some random comments, that's all.
Well in all honesty it might be because Wilhelmina gave that always to her, so she got to love it. As she said for her melon bread is a prize.

I feel like this episode was a bit sad... And we are finally back to present, and seems like we will meet Wilhelmina in the present too ^_^. Yeey for us.
Feb 3, 2014 7:36 PM

Aug 2013
It was good, but it was still very confusing...

Who was that Shiro or whatever is real name is? Why was the last Burning Eyes was fighting him?

What really is Alastor goal?

Who is that weird one eyed lady?

Also, the last Burning Eyes died being consumed by Alastor treasure, which is presumably the same treasure that give the power of the Burning Eyes. So that mean that at some point, Shana will consume herself? :S
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 13, 2014 2:46 AM

Jun 2013
Are you kidding me? This was one of the worst arcs in anime I've ever seen. Flashbacks within flashbacks? What a joke. And there was absolutely no reason why this arc should've been brought up, considering it started with bread and ended up explaining Shana's past. I hope the rest of this season stays how the first 12 episodes were.
Apr 21, 2014 9:38 PM

Apr 2012
That was a nice arc.

I love well-placed meaningful flashbacks. This arc is quite well-done, I would say. I have become much more fond of this series.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 6, 2014 2:21 PM

Apr 2013
I think it was well done too.
It's good to know a bit more about the past of Shana.
Jul 21, 2014 1:58 AM

Oct 2013
nice to know some background
but I'm glad the flashbacks are over
Nov 24, 2015 5:27 PM

Oct 2012
Finally this boring arc is over. At least the last few minutes of this episode were somehow good. Melon pan gesture was nice.
It seems Wilhelmina loved Merihim albeit it was unrequited love like Merihim's love to previous flame haze.
And I doubt they would go with this backstory if we weren't meant to see her again.
(have to say that story of Shana's past even before she entered this Sanctuary would be much more interesting to me)

So far, this series has very incompetent antagonists, even Friagne didn't put much fight.
I fear this might be its main flaw in the end.

Oh, but right, now we are back on track, let's wait where this series moves next, I really wonder what is going to happen to Kazumi.
May 29, 2017 8:05 PM
Sep 2015
This is not making much sense. So Shana, in her very first minutes as a Flame Hazed, and without a sword, managed to defeat the super-powered Mystes who had killed many powerful Denizens? So why the hell is Shana, with the sword AND years of experience under her belt, struggling so much against denizens in the present? And then, no time to rest, a second boss fight against her trainer.

Wonder how the naked girl wearing only a cloak and bandages made ends meet at the beginning after they kicked her out of the nest.

Anyway, for a flashback arc this was pretty entertaining. Didn't miss the bland self-insert MC one bit.
Jun 4, 2017 7:34 AM

Nov 2016
The reason behind Shanas preference for melon bread was revealed.

Overall the flashback was ok, but I wasn't a too big fan of it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 11, 2018 11:07 AM

May 2015
Sure. Skeleton guy is still best.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 9, 2019 4:52 AM

Aug 2018
Alrighty then. Gotta say these folk are a little strange.
May 4, 2020 8:55 PM
uwu

Mar 2014
Okay, just watched this episode. The flashback literally just adds more question than answering the previous question. The best choice here is to put the flashback only on Shana's point of view so they wouldn't spoil you Shiro or that Maid past.

They literally forced you to read the novel if you want to know more...
Aug 25, 2020 11:26 PM

Jun 2017
Nice to know more about what happened in the past. Looks like Shana's predecessor and the guze no tomogara that was Shiro were in love but they had to fight because of conflicting goals. Too bad it wasn't elaborate enough. The relationship between Wilhelmina and Shiro wasn't clear. We may get more about this eventually in the future episodes.
Feb 8, 2022 5:05 PM

Nov 2010
I'm glad they didn't change the OP. I really love this song. It keeps on playing on my head too.

Hmm, I wonder why it took them centuries to find a replacement for Alastor? What happened to the previous flame?

Such a waste for that floating island to be destroyed.

I wonder what happened to Wilhelmina after that.
Aug 15, 2023 7:49 AM
Mar 2023
buen flashback para explicar porque le gusta el pan de melon
Oct 22, 2023 4:16 PM
Aug 2016
Like the history and that, but its like Why now? We need more of the current story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 5 Discussion

stephy_ccs - Jul 2, 2008

27 by Dywei »»
Jan 31, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 4 Discussion

Chilli-Kun - Mar 10, 2008

44 by Dywei »»
Jan 23, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - May 9, 2008

58 by BaronLukis »»
Oct 20, 2023 10:05 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 8 Discussion

theeggman85 - Oct 5, 2008

39 by GoddessOfSake »»
Sep 23, 2023 7:22 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 3 Discussion

theeggman85 - Oct 4, 2008

38 by ka7eMARU »»
Jul 23, 2023 8:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.