Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2012 11:12 AM

Jun 2012
When he was telling Asuka to wake up, and then he turns her over... The screen cuts to show a doorknob and you can hear Shinji making breathing noises. Then it shows his hand and it has fluid all over it, and he says "I'm so fucked up."

Did he just masturbate? I know that's probably what he did, but its just so messed up I want to believe it's something else...
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 2, 2012 1:26 PM
Feb 2010
I had the exact same reaction. o.0
Aug 2, 2012 1:33 PM
Mar 2012
He casually wanked off to a 14 year old girl coma, can't believe that happened, but yeah he did, at least he admitted he was fucked up.
Aug 2, 2012 2:03 PM

Jun 2012
that scene makes me feel weird xD
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Aug 2, 2012 2:07 PM

Mar 2012
Yup, he masturbated to a comatose 14-year-old and it was hilarious. I had to pause the movie so I could laugh.

Can't really blame him, though. Redheads are sexy.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Aug 2, 2012 2:20 PM

Jun 2012
I made this thread because I was seriously just hoping it was something else.
It took me a few seconds when I first saw before I realized what happened... It was so sudden.

They could have left that part out and the movie would still be OK... I wonder how that even got in. Did some guy just suddenly say "Hey, let's start out the movie by showing a scene where Shinji masturbates in front of Asuka's comatose body!"
LarasoAug 2, 2012 2:27 PM
Aug 2, 2012 2:52 PM

Jun 2009
Laraso said:

They could have left that part out and the movie would still be OK... I wonder how that even got in. Did some guy just suddenly say "Hey, let's start out the movie by showing a scene where Shinji masturbates in front of Asuka's comatose body!"

The point of the scene is to show Shinji's fragile mental state. Remember that EoE is set right after episode 24 where he was forced to kill someone he thought was a friend...not to mention other things that happened throughout to make him off kilter. Like he himself puts it: "I'm so fucked up".

There is a lot more to the scene than what appears on the surface. It pretty much defines his character at the start of EoE for better or worse and that is why I think it's an excellent scene.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 3, 2012 12:40 AM

Jun 2012
insan3soldiern said:

They could have done something else besides a masturbation scene to make it clear he's fucked up.
Aug 3, 2012 1:13 AM

Jun 2009
Laraso said:
insan3soldiern said:

They could have done something else besides a masturbation scene to make it clear he's fucked up.

I don't think anything could have conveyed the message any better and still kept him in character. Or, do you have any better ideas?

If you were/are offended or something, well, the cool think about fiction is that it can explore themes without actually harming anyone. So....why not? I can assure you there are far more fucked up things in manga out there. I think it's best to just leave morals and stuff at the door.
Ston3_FreeN7Aug 3, 2012 1:22 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 3, 2012 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
Scenes like that are why Evangelion is still so heavily discussed nearly 20 years on. It wasn't afraid to push boundaries and divide opinions.
Seemed perfectly in keeping with the character and the tone of the series to me. It shows how screwed up he is, but that he feels guilty about it shows he isn't beyond hope either.
Aug 3, 2012 2:02 AM

Jun 2012
insan3soldiern said:

It's not that I was offended by anything, it's just that it felt incongruous and unnecessary. The "friend" he killed in the TV series was only around for 2 episodes. To say that he had become so attached to him in such a short time frame that killing him would lead him to do display such impetuous behavior is ridiculous.

Whatever point they were trying to make by pushing this scene was foiled by the abruptness in which it was made.
Aug 3, 2012 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
I'm pretty sure killing ANYONE, friend or not would send someone (except socio/psychopaths/those trained to do so) into a serious shame/depression spiral. Such moods can lead to very antisocial behavior. Murder isn't something you just shrug off.
Particularly someone who is already prone to depression and has had to go through alot of shit already. Not to mention he's also 14, and teenagers are hardly known for thinking clearly.

Btw Shinji did become attached to Kaworu very quickly because it was the first time he felt anyone actually understood him. After all, his mother died, nor is Misato a good replacement for her despite her efforts. His father is an arsehole, Rei is almost impossible to connect with and Asuka treats him like crap aswell. Anyone with even the slighest kindness towards him is going to seem like a miracle in comparison.

I'm not defending Shinji's actions, and I admit that scene could be cut, but it makes alot of sense tonally and like I said before, is a prime example of Eva pushing the boundaries.
removed-userAug 3, 2012 2:21 AM
Aug 3, 2012 11:33 AM

Jun 2012
deadleeserious said:

He's piloting a massive bio-mech and using all sorts of weaponry on a daily basis. He's already taken down numerous angels, and has witnessed more violence and messed up stuff than most people have seen in their entire lifetime.

He's 14 years old and has already lost everything worth keeping, yet I'm supposed to believe that all it takes is the death of somebody he's known for maybe 2 days at the most to break him completely? If that person wasn't a random nobody, and was somebody like Misato instead, I could understand how that would really screw with his mind. But it wasn't.

Even a 14 year old wouldn't become that attached to somebody so quickly, especially Shinji, since he has already lost everything.

If I'm really supposed to believe that destroyed Shinji mentally, then I'm going to go ahead and label him "mentally deficient". If I had known somebody for 2 days, I wouldn't be this emotionally attached to them. If I learned that he wasn't even human and was actually trying to destroy all of humanity, I wouldn't hesitate to stop him, even if that meant killing him. Murder isn't even an appropriate description for that; it's more like protecting yourself and everyone around you from facing untimely demise. I wouldn't spend time deciding whether I wanted everybody on earth to die or not, because killing him and sparing everybody else is an obvious decision.
LarasoAug 3, 2012 11:38 AM
Aug 3, 2012 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
There's a massive difference between killing the very "alien" shaped angels and the very humanoid Kaworu. You can detach yourself when killing some faceless robots, but it's not going to be the same when you have to do the same to someone who looks, talks and acts like you.

Besides, you say he's witnessed lots of messed up violence, which is true, but look how he reacts to that! It's not as if he pilots the Evangelions with a clear and controlled mindset, being that he spends most of the series in his room and running away. The Kaworu situation didn't break him completely, he was already broken long ago by the relationship with his father.

Kaworu gave him a glimmer of hope, and the worst despair comes when that hope is crushed. That's what sent Shinji back into his extremely anti-social state.

Btw I do still agree that Kaworu should have been introduced a little sooner, which is actually being "corrected" by the Rebuild movie series.

Laraso said:
I wouldn't hesitate to stop him, even if that meant killing him. Murder isn't even an appropriate description for that; it's more like protecting yourself and everyone around you from facing untimely demise. I wouldn't spend time deciding whether I wanted everybody on earth to die or not, because killing him and sparing everybody else is an obvious decision.

This is an extremely easy thing to say, not an easy thing to do. Plenty of soldiers come back from wars traumatised by the killing they have seen and commited, despite knowing it was done for "the greater good." I think if you were really put in a situation like that, you wouldn't find the solution to be so simple.
removed-userAug 3, 2012 11:56 AM
Aug 3, 2012 5:27 PM

Apr 2011
It's a reality case, what else?

Laughing like that scene is like laughing at:

Aug 4, 2012 9:18 AM

Jun 2012
deadleeserious said:
This is an extremely easy thing to say, not an easy thing to do. Plenty of soldiers come back from wars traumatised by the killing they have seen and commited, despite knowing it was done for "the greater good." I think if you were really put in a situation like that, you wouldn't find the solution to be so simple.

Yeah, except the difference here being that if you don't kill him, you and everyone else on the planet will die.

I always act in the most efficient and beneficial way; it's a philosophy I have that adds structure to my everyday life. Killing him = Everyone lives. Sparing him = Everyone dies. My obvious choice would be to kill him, and I wouldn't regret doing it either.

The only thing I would regret is if I didn't kill him and caused the end of the world. Of course, I'd be dead, but if I was alive I would.
Aug 7, 2012 11:09 AM

Nov 2007
I saw a drawing the other day of Shinji in a chef's hat holding a frosting tube and Asuka covered in frosting spirals, topped with cherries.

And of course I can't find it now to link it.
Aug 7, 2012 12:30 PM

Mar 2012
Zarggg said:
I saw a drawing the other day of Shinji in a chef's hat holding a frosting tube and Asuka covered in frosting spirals, topped with cherries.

And of course I can't find it now to link it.
Damn you.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Aug 8, 2012 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
I laughed because of how surprised I was, such a deep film and that was what started it off. Nice job.
Aug 15, 2012 10:42 AM
Jul 2012
Oh man, I just started this movie, then I see Shinji beating his meat to asuka in a coma, this is the funniest thing I've seen in an anime, i'm dying
Aug 15, 2012 10:49 AM

Aug 2012
It's not hard to take it seriously. OP making a big deal as a 17 year old male is a bit pathetic really.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2012 10:52 AM

Jun 2012
boating92 said:
It's not hard to take it seriously. OP making a big deal as a 17 year old male is a bit pathetic really.

Not trying to make a big deal. I usually exaggerate a lot more on the internet than I ever do in real life.
Aug 15, 2012 10:58 AM

Aug 2012
Laraso said:
boating92 said:

Not trying to make a big deal. I usually exaggerate a lot more on the internet than I ever do in real life.

So he wanked over the girl he's had sexual tension with for the entire series and it's weird and fucked up?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2012 10:59 AM

Aug 2012
And it's also CLEAR he masturbated.
Aug 15, 2012 11:07 AM

Jun 2012
boating92 said:
And it's also CLEAR he masturbated.

Yeah, we get it... Why are you being so defensive over something like this?
Aug 15, 2012 12:22 PM
Jul 2012
boating92 said:
Laraso said:
boating92 said:

So he wanked over the girl he's had sexual tension with for the entire series and it's weird and fucked up?

Actually it is weird, and fucked up

@Laraso I don't even get why she's so defensive :/
Aug 15, 2012 4:48 PM

Jun 2012
boating92 said:
17 year old male

I'm 18, by the way.
Aug 16, 2012 1:24 PM

Aug 2012
JavierR said:
boating92 said:
Laraso said:
boating92 said:

But it's not that shocking or unobvious that it would happen and he would do it. It's understandable.
Aug 16, 2012 5:03 PM
Jul 2012
boating92 said:
JavierR said:
boating92 said:
Laraso said:
boating92 said:

But it's not that shocking or unobvious that it would happen and he would do it. It's understandable.

It was a shocker because I didn't think he would actually do it, but he wasn't in the right state of mind, so ill give you that one. I know damn well, I wouldn't have wanked right over her, i might cop a feel or something though
Aug 16, 2012 5:57 PM

Jun 2012
boating92 said:

So if that was you in the hospital in place of Asuka, would you consider it obvious and understandable that somebody would wank to your naked body while you were in a coma? I think you are giving Shinji more pity than he deserves.

The personalities of the characters in this anime were changing so often that it would be practically impossible to say that it was obvious it was going to happen.

It was as random and unexpected as just about everything else in the anime, so I guess to that extent I wasn't surprised.
Aug 29, 2012 12:06 AM

Jan 2012
.... it's just a boy playing with his penis over a hot ass chick

what's there to be shocked about?
Aug 31, 2012 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
I think you're giving Shinji a little too much line here in a way, I'm not saying it was uncalled for, I'm not saying it shouldn't have been in the show. No I think it really set the scene for the mental state of Shinji. However, realistically speaking, this act would be considered a little off. Again, realistically speaking. However for the show I think it fit right in with how he was feeling, the mood of EoE, etc.

tl;dr: I agree with both of you, it had shock value, but it was good for the feeling of EoE.
Aug 31, 2012 6:18 AM

Jul 2011
He was playing with his own toy...so ?
Aug 31, 2012 7:18 AM

Aug 2009
I guess the problem is that she was in a coma which is understandable but nothing to make fuss about it.If he was a character that lived his life happily then yeah I agree that either he is the greatest asshole ever or the directors forced the scene for whatever reason.
I was surprised when I saw it but I wasnt shocked cause I knew he was already fucked up.Anyone who didnt realize this after the first 3 eps of the series obviously wasnt looking at the series at all.And at least he didnt visit her with that in mind,so I guess thats also why I can let it slide.

Then again the last scene of the movie was far more shocking for me than him masturbating over Asuka.
Sep 2, 2012 3:44 PM

Oct 2010
flaxman85 said:

Well, considering that "over" is literal, it makes him look like a sicko perv.
Oct 10, 2012 8:30 PM
Oct 2012
Everyone's getting so squicked out because Asuka is a 14 year old girl, but so is Shinji. It's not their age that makes it so shocking. Now if there was a huge age gap, then that'd be a reason to be bothered.
Oct 11, 2012 12:19 AM

Jun 2012
Apomaro-Mellow said:
Everyone's getting so squicked out because Asuka is a 14 year old girl, but so is Shinji. It's not their age that makes it so shocking. Now if there was a huge age gap, then that'd be a reason to be bothered.

The fact that it happened at all, regardless of their age, is bothering enough.
Oct 11, 2012 12:25 AM

Aug 2011
I feel like this is fitted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yWoKV1_VY
Oct 13, 2012 9:53 AM

Jun 2012
McN said:
I feel like this is fitted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yWoKV1_VY

That made my day, thanks!
Oct 13, 2012 1:30 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Does this answer your question?
Oct 31, 2012 11:35 AM

Aug 2012
deadleeserious said:
Scenes like that are why Evangelion is still so heavily discussed nearly 20 years on. It wasn't afraid to push boundaries and divide opinions.
Seemed perfectly in keeping with the character and the tone of the series to me. It shows how screwed up he is, but that he feels guilty about it shows he isn't beyond hope either.

Indeed.

Oct 31, 2012 11:45 AM
Nov 2010
flaxman85 said:

probably some people were expecting him to do that over Kaworu.
Nov 15, 2012 4:01 AM

Aug 2012
Didn't get it till I read this thread, kind of shocked.
Nov 15, 2012 4:09 AM

Jun 2009
MudRune said:
Didn't get it till I read this thread, kind of shocked.

Just curious, but what DID you think he did?

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 22, 2012 5:12 AM

Oct 2011
Posting because it still makes me laugh. Every. Single. Time.

Nov 22, 2012 8:55 AM

Jun 2012
DEMOLITION_D said:

You've just made my day... And my week, and my month.
Nov 22, 2012 2:53 PM

Oct 2011
Seemed ridiculously relevant so I wasn't going to waste the chance. I don't get a lot of opportunities to post it lol
Dec 13, 2012 11:53 PM

Jul 2012

i think he didn't mastrubate
i mean when shinji say i fucked off
it mean aku sungguh kacau
it's mean he get stress or something like that
but i don't know where that white fluid came from

sorry for my bad english

teheee....
Dec 14, 2012 12:29 AM

Jun 2009
shadow0056 said:

i think he didn't mastrubate
i mean when shinji say i fucked off
it mean aku sungguh kacau
it's mean he get stress or something like that
but i don't know where that white fluid came from

sorry for my bad english

Well, you are clearly in denial.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 13, 2013 1:18 AM

May 2010
Laraso said:
DEMOLITION_D said:

You've just made my day... And my week, and my month.

Till this day; this is still funny.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

18 by Daddi4900 »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.