Forum Settings
Forums
Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 14, 2013 8:29 PM
Oct 2007
I thought overall it was a great movie. I kind of thought the character designs compared to the wonderful scenery were very plain, if not a bit ugly. I was kind of thinking through most of the movie that Yuki's friend was also a wolf or some other animal. It was such a big deal that he could smell her. I gave it an 8, maybe 8.5
Nov 15, 2013 7:29 AM

Jun 2011
All I can say is, not bad, but not particularly great. It might be my first time watching anime movie that isn't related to any TV series, and this is the second highest rated behind Suzumiya movie which is related to a original TV series, but.. it's nothing special to be honest.

It was quite beautifully done, but the art is somewhat lacking. The plain colour and the sloppy drawing reminded me of Aku no Hana, except that they're skinny instead of meaty. It might be because this is a movie, but the voice acting was kinda lacking.. It doesn't feel "anime-like".

As for the story, well it's been jumping from one scene to another scene, well it wasn't all bad in result, but it could've been done better. They could also improve on the script writing and the directing.

While watching the show, I feel really bad for Hana, she had to take care of her naughty children alone after the Wolf's death, which was done just to advance the story. I feel especially bad for Hana when she went searching for Ame in the woods and fell all over the places and met a bear, but it was worthy if she could have a dream about the Wolf, that was heartwarming, albeit a little sad.

I almost teared up when Hana let go of Ame, while I like that, I also don't like it, it's really bittersweet. Pity the poor single mother, have to live alone in that huge house in the end..

I feel like they could've done much better with the ending, like letting Ame comes back home once in a while. They just have to make this decision of making Yuki live in a dorm, leaving her mother, and we didn't know what happened to her and Sou, did they get together or what? In short, the ending was shortcoming.

P.S. nothing special about the OST neither. It has it's good moments, all those feels, but some parts were a little boring, so.. 7/10
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 17, 2013 2:45 PM

Feb 2009
God, this was good! I'd been looking forward to watching this for more than a year now for no particular reason at all. lol I simply was. It did not disappoint.
I see how some people might find it not particularly great, on the surface not much happened. Some random chick got knocked up by a werewolf who died just to move the plot along and she then proceeded to raising her werewolf offspring all on her own. One kid decides to go on as a human, the other one - as a wolf. Everyone lives happily ever after.
But it kinda felt like so much more. Maybe it's just the kinda show I like, I dunno. But it was a great watch.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 29, 2013 2:54 AM

Oct 2008
Ninjas cutting onions everywhere!

This anime is more slice of life so depending on what you like it might not be your cup of tea. Personally I think it was amazing, I loved the pace. It is predictable as everyone says, but it's not about the uniqueness of the plot but how well the story-teller spins the tale. Every story has been told already, so I don't expect something out of this world when it comes to a mom struggling to raise two half-wolf children.

I really didn't like Ame, not because of the path he chose, but because he never really makes an effort to interact with anyone and always is doing whatever the hell he felt like regardless of those who care about him (his mom, wtf Ame at least leave a notice instead of going out in the rain, you little inconsiderate shit). Yuki's development was a lot better because she actually struggles to keep a balance between her wolf and human sides. She's the one more comfortable as a wolf as children (feels more comfortable in the forest at the beginning, etc), but learns self-control and to accept other humans. She also (accidentally) finds a human who accepts her as she is. Ame just closes up and goes all animal-like and doesn't bother to find a balance at all. I think that as a being who has both animal and human sides, finding a human (besides family) who will accept you is very important. Ame doesn't have to stop himself from being part of the mountain, or its guardian; just like his mom found a balance between having people (friends) who will help her and a place to let her kids be free and safe. But no, little shit wants to be all wolf.

Really wish they shown Yuki and Souhei's aftermath. They don't necessarily need to fall in love with each other, but it would've been nice to have at least a little comment about how they're BFFs even after she goes into high school or something.

I wish they had shown more scenes of Hana and Wolf too, maybe a few more of him interacting with Yuki, enjoying being with his family and such. Also, I agree with some other commenters that the ending was kinda unsatisfying. Like I said Ame could've just as well find a balance and come to visit his mom once in a while (little shittttt!), I mean she lives all alone now and it's not like he's far away for school like Yuki. Visit your mom! Yuki going to a dorm high school was inevitable given the location of their home, I really wish Hana had other family that could live with her or something. Get her a puppy! ;_;
YakuriDec 1, 2013 3:01 AM
Dec 1, 2013 2:01 PM

Sep 2012
woow, speechless....

such an amazing movie, lovely dovey movies always get to me, but this was just beautiful, the artwork and environment to that mellow traditional soundtrack.
wishing to see Ame and Yuki a bit close to adult hood, but aside from that, watching them grow & make their own decisions really made this touching
Dec 1, 2013 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
I really, really hoped that someone (Ame perhaps) would release that old wolf from captivity. Even if it's fiction it breaks my heart to see an animal confined like that and all alone.
Dec 2, 2013 9:36 AM
Jan 2013
I absolutely love this movie.

Beautifully done. Brilliant story line.

10/10.
Dec 2, 2013 6:44 PM

Nov 2007
well,isn't this film just perfectly overrated?I expected much much more when i saw the score...
It didn't particularly give me any feeling (except for anger maybe,hah)
Dec 4, 2013 9:51 PM

Dec 2009
My Score: 8/10

I think the best way to describe the feeling you have while watching this movie is, 'beautiful'. When I deeply looked at the character designs, the background art, and the facial expressions, its all very amazing. Just gorgeous.
The start of their romance was cute and soft, I liked how it happened. And really quick to the point was interesting too, the drama of him dying, flawless.

One of the things I liked the most though was Ame and Yuki as kids, especially Yuki because of how fearless and adventurous she is, she's super adorable! Ame was cute for being a scaredy-cat each time he yelled "ah!' in fear, it was fun to watch. Seeing them as wolves was cute too.
And then the character development, Yuki's was really interesting, Ame's was hard to take...

So, I like how the ending is very realistic in its way of how they both took their own paths. But what I honestly almost hate is how Ame became a lone wolf, and how in the end they just left her alone. It saddens me really...
I'm not a fan of endings where the future is left for the viewer to assume and guess, especially when its with such bitter-sweet endings. Because seriously, leaving your mother alone and to not even at least visit her at times is... well I just don't like that kind of ending.

Eight out of Ten.
Dec 7, 2013 3:54 AM

Apr 2010
its just so amazing!! unbelievable movie!! i just can't describe my feelings.
no, really after watching this movie you must kiss your mother's hand and tell her "i love you"
Dec 16, 2013 11:09 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
So much feels. Yuki was funny and cute when she was really small. That part where Souhei tells Yuki he'll keep her identity a secret was really touching. Same with Hana saying goodbye to Ame. Of course it gets a 10/10 from me.

Dec 17, 2013 2:24 AM

Oct 2013
fuck . so good.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 20, 2013 10:17 AM

May 2012
Even though I don't like slice of life animes. THis anime was really good. I'm glad that I watched it.

9/10
Dec 22, 2013 6:39 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome movie... No doubt.. :)

10/10
Dec 27, 2013 6:53 PM

Jul 2013
I have literally never cried this much in my whole life. I mean literally literally. 10/10

I need to go punch some walls to make me feel manly again
ImanobDec 27, 2013 7:05 PM
Dec 31, 2013 1:54 AM

Aug 2008
Good story telling.

My complain is that ending feel a bit rush,Ame changes not explain clearly(but perhaps that's understandable as Yuki is the one who narrate the story) and Yuki-Souhei relation feel a bit force.
ZapredonJan 2, 2014 5:43 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 5, 2014 4:21 PM

Nov 2011
MaxCrazy7 said:
Mothers are a different breed indeed.
Agreed.

I specifically asked my mother to watch this with me. At the beginning, we thought that Ame would be the one who'd choose to be a human, and Yuki would be the wolf. But as they grew older, we could tell that Yuki had enough of being a wolf and the progression was very natural.

Ame was quite frightening during the fight scene. I also loved the interactions between Yuki and Shohei. My mom kept laughing and repeating, "that's generation two right there" during those moments. We both admired Hana-chan's strength long after the credits rolled.

My mother also kept commenting on the stunning visuals. It was lovely laughing throughout the movie with her - which doesn't happen often.

Definitely recommend this to anyone who wishes to introduce anime to their parents. It's a lovely film perfect for all ages.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Jan 6, 2014 1:07 PM

Aug 2008
I thought Ame was a girl lol
Jan 9, 2014 9:11 PM

Aug 2013
Bought it, go it in the mail, and watched it today.
I must say, this is truly a great movie. I didn't cry, but it did play on dem feels a bit :) Hana is honestly one of the best characters I've seen in any Anime.
Jan 11, 2014 12:02 AM

Nov 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that the children could not embrace the dichotomies of their identities, and were taught/forced into choosing sides. Harsh, but a realistic decision. And while I liked the wolf/woman romance that opened up the film, it had minor relevance. Neither detracted much from the movie, as both the romance and identity crises took a back seat to the movie's main focus.

This was a bittersweet display of a mother's unending sacrifice and affection for her children. Such is the traditional ideal role of a parent, silently supporting her children's choices through life. Ame's last scene and Yuki's narration express their eventual appreciation for their mother's rearing, and from Hana's last scenes, you can sense her content despite her children both going their own ways. Remove the werewolves and the message is just as relevant, and relatable to fortunate families.

Summer Wars was fun, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was interesting, but Wolf Children was a beautiful and heartwarming movie that led me to notice and appreciate Mamoru Hosoda as a director.
Jan 12, 2014 9:10 AM
Jan 2011
Even after more than a month i am still amazed by this anime movie.
Time to read the manga!! X3
Jan 15, 2014 7:37 PM

Jan 2008
Well after much thinking I finally decided to get this n sit down n watch it. Before I started it I was like "Being rank 10 it should have a good story" which it really did I love wolves so I was already drawn to this anyway but in the end I wasnt disappointed however I do wish we would find out how Ookami died and show alittle bit more toward the end I think showing more of Hana n Ookami's time together would have been better but at the same time they might have had to make a 2 part movie n for the most part those in anime really dont go well with people bc they drop it if it isnt to there liking so a lot of anime n anime movies dont get the praise n recognition they deserve but this one seems to be the opposite it was a outstanding movie story was great, art was above decent something about it kinda wasnt there for me but not to much a good amount of humor n what music is in it suits it very well if u ask me

But other then that I give it a 10 regardless of its very few draw backs
Jan 20, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
It's okay. Not like I needed a heart or anything.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jan 22, 2014 10:56 PM

Jan 2009
Thoughts:
12:00 human transformation to wolf = scary, freaky, run away

12:43 wtf? Wolf x human doin it? How distrubing…

20:00 fucked up trash collector scene… just f-ed up

35:23 hana really fixed up the place

1:08:31 Yuki is starting to look like her mom

------------------
Overall:
1. I knew I wasn't going to like this series because the genre's were only 'slice of life' and 'fantasy'… which usually contain ordinary (boring) stories.

2. Don't mate with a wolf human cuz wolf kids are hard to deal with & Hard to fit in with other kids

3. Felt sorry for hana. She had to deal with so much yet she's strong

4. Ame chose the crappy way of living. U don't get to watch anime or play games in the forest.

5. There was no narration by Ame… that's probably because he didn't go to school

6. If this series taught me anything… then it's to not have kids. U lose all ur freedom, time, and u end up getting divorced in the end.

rating: 6/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 25, 2014 11:44 PM

Oct 2013
I just finished watching the movie. Without even thinking, I gave it a 10/10. (And I'm very fussy about giving out 10s, trust me.)

I just... I can't even describe how powerful it was in words. But I can say that my soul feels like it's been robbed of everything and replaced by a vat of sadness that can never be repaired.

@billybob300c Seriously, your review gave me some much needed laughter. It was fun!

@Aeowina Yeah, the fight scene with Ame was really scary. Especially that last look... ;-;
NisienJan 25, 2014 11:48 PM
Jan 31, 2014 2:34 PM

Oct 2013
9/10
And who said that bestiality is wrong.
Feb 7, 2014 5:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A beautiful, enchanting, well crafted movie. This is "slice of life" done right and not some of those manipulative tear jerkers that are out there with high grades. Specially touching if you're a parent or have taken care of kids for a while. For a single mother to take care of two children with "special needs" like those 2 was a titanic task. How Hana could smile and bear through that is amazing.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Mar 2013
Wow..... Just wow.

This might have become my favorite film of all time. I'm incredibly frustrated now after watching this because I want to shout its praises from the rooftop, but I have been rendered speechless at the same time.

Art = Awesome
OST = Top 3 I've ever heard
Story = Heart Warming
Characters = Incredibly Human
Mar 7, 2014 8:17 PM

Dec 2012
I'm not even sure what to say. This movie was a really incredible experience. It was able to capture a range of different emotions and ideas while remaining completely down to earth and natural about it. The art was absolutely stunning (see Aku no Hana, this is how you do it). The transition through Hana's journey as a mother and Yuki/Ame's growth as children was so smooth and well done.

The ending carried a bittersweet sense of satisfaction. Part of me was sad that the siblings ended up walking different paths, but also overcome with joy because of how beautifully executed the theme of a parent's wish for their children's happiness was.

9.5/10, was well worth finally getting to. This is something that I'll have to come back to should I ever become a parent.
Mar 23, 2014 10:31 AM
May 2013
I just finished the movie and I think this is probably one of my favorite movies ever. I was very surprised at how realistic it was...well as realistic as having wolf children is.

Good job to Hana and all mothers out there! I knew from my mom it was tough raising my brother and me as babies but never did I know the details. She is a very strong woman and I thought her determination to raise her children was admirable.

As for the movie dragging out, I personally liked it because I never wanted the it to end. xD
People here are complaining about Ame and his decision to leave or Yuki's decision to live in a boarding school but that is their choice; the same thing applies to all parents out there. One day, your children that you've worked so hard to raise are going to leave. I don't believe that they'll never come back. I'm sure that both of them are very grateful to Hana, like Ame's touching farewell that showed he wasn't leaving because he wanted to. The important thing was that Hana seemed to accept both of their choices. :)

In my opinion, this movie isn't sad but the struggles the characters go through and then the final ending really touched me(so obviously I cried.) :') Will be watching this again.

10/10
Apr 9, 2014 6:24 PM
Aug 2008
Freaking cried my eyes out. Great movie, I really liked it, even though I avoid sad things like the plague. Couldn't Ame and Yuki have come to visit their mom at some point?..............*tear*
Apr 12, 2014 9:07 PM
Jul 2012
Decent movie.

Don't really like how the drama sets up for the characters in this movie.

Although, the movie is down right cute at times which is a good thing, and the art is very nice especially the background looks a little real life to it like the trees.

7.5/10 Good movie, but not exactly my favorite movie.
Apr 12, 2014 9:08 PM

Mar 2013
Bestiality lol
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 21, 2014 1:52 PM
Dec 2012
Wolf Children is amazing. Definitely earned it's place being MAL's top 10 anime. Truly spectacular. I've watched it several times already, Must watch agaiiin. Srsly tho, this is one of the most inspirational anime to teach me how to work hard, just like Hana.
Apr 23, 2014 10:50 PM
May 7, 2014 4:41 AM

Apr 2009
Liked it overall, hated the ending. Enjoy your life alone in a big empty house, mom! It would have been fine if they'd had her invite some of the villagers over and then stop and gaze at the mountain or something, just anything to differentiate from the mother myth where the woman just takes any shit from her kids and smiles on when they don't even offer thanks for keeping them alive.

Also, apparently the world the movie is set in doesn't have a thing called hypothermia. I was so pissed when the mother was fine both in the winter scene and in the end. Yeah, it's a fantasy film, which is why I'm fine with the kids being okay in whatever weather, but the mom's resistance to elements is godly.
May 16, 2014 8:04 PM

Jul 2012
Good movie. A bit funny how they named their kids after what the weather was like the day of birth.

This movie definitely showed how fucking depressing it is to be a parent though. Hana sacrificed everything for these kids, dropped out of school, moved to a completely foreign place, etc and after 12 years of raising those kids shes left all alone.

Ame's choice to be a wolf was okay but I didn't like how he went about it. He literally just left without saying a word to his mom. What a dick. It was so damn cheesy how Hana was yelling "YOURE RIGHT, YOU ARE WHERE YOU BELONG" or w/e the line was when Ame was howling after saving Hana.

The romantic subplot with Yuki and Souhei was a bit lame too. They didn't really develop Souhei much at all, all we know is that he apparently has a shit family. Was Souhei really even needed? He helped Yuki mature a little bit, maybe? Not sure.

Overall, a good movie. I enjoyed the first half a lot more. Showing the struggles of raising kids, especially half-human half-wolf kids, was done in a very touching way. I felt bad for Hana a lot in the movie but she was a very caring person and respectful.
I felt the second half became a bit too predictable and cheesy but it was still a fun ride nonetheless and, in my eyes, a melancholic ending for Hana even though they say she was content with being alone.
May 17, 2014 9:19 AM
Apr 2014
I was literally shouted "fuck you ame" when hana desperately went to the mountain to search for him. He was literally being a fucking dick. Sure he's a wolf but that doesn't mean you can abandon your mom like that.
May 24, 2014 4:07 AM

Nov 2013
wadafakbbq said:
I was literally shouted "fuck you ame" when hana desperately went to the mountain to search for him. He was literally being a fucking dick. Sure he's a wolf but that doesn't mean you can abandon your mom like that.

give it a break dont say tht! he showed up again cause he knew he couldnt just abandon her like that!
May 26, 2014 1:22 PM

Jul 2009
One of the best movies i have ever seen ;)

Bought the BD/DVD combo by funimation last November 2013. Can't believe it took me summer to watch this!!!

Was literally holding my tears all through to the end.

My mom even watched it after the first part. She was really hooked and finished the show all the way!!

The saddest part for me is how Ookami died T___T

Just because he was a wolf, he was treated like an animal and even disposed his body on a garbage like it was nothing.

Must be a traumatic experience for Hana.

I also love how their children look like and even grew like their own parents :)

Yuki became Haru which is more human(even though at the start she was experimenting her wolf instincts) while Ame was a scared child at first and didn't want to do anything with being a wolf, but grew up like his father and honing his wolf instincts and even looking like Ookami himself.

I praise Hana for raising their children for 12 years all alone. Seeing her struggle like that really reminds me to think twice of having children. Lots of sacrifices to be made, especially at the beginning. She even studied, work, and raise them at the same time. She even built a mansion with her children. The mansion reminds me of Tonari no Totoro!!

I commend her as a super mom!!!!

Though what i didn't get is about that wolf from moscow that Ame used to visit as a child. I thought there were doing something important about him, then out of sudden Ame stops visiting him then he suddenly has a sensei from the mountains that governs it along with nature.

That's probably the only super minor thing that i don't get.

The most intense for me is also when Hana was looking for Ame in the middle of the storm and when he saw something that she thought it was Ame, the bear suddenly appears and i was saying to myself "Please don't let her be killed like this!!"

So intense, but the bear was swayed by her children. I'm guessing they know who Ame is.

As for people asking about these two scenes:

The sex scene, to be honest i didn't feel awkward or weird or anything. They were in love so it didn't really matter if Ookami was in wolf form.

Though he was in human form when they were intimate as evidence after waking up the next day we see Ookami in human form.

As for him dying and leaving the groceries and money. Hana mentioned he probably went in a hunting spree to get some nutrition for the baby. He probably left there to go get some, but underestimated the nature of humans thus he was killed on site. That scene still aches me when his eyes are open as they put him into the garbage truck.

As for Yuki and Sohei scene. It kinda reminded me on how Hana and Ookami went for the first time in college. It's a shamed they didn't show what happened after revealing the fact. Did they live both on the same dorm? Were they in love now? I thought Sohei was moving out because his mother got married?

Also what happened to the grandpa who helped Hana learned to plan the seeds and crop the fields? Same with his other friends. Even though he was an asshole at first, i think he knew she was the only from outside the city that is willing to pave the way of living on the mountains compared to others who only left maybe a few weeks or months.

With how the monologue is being said. I actually thought Haru also died and Yuki is reminiscing her days with her.

And the ending scene!!! Definitely one the best!!! Ame has finally decided to govern the mountains and help protect the other animals while Yuki will become like her mom and will live in her human way.

Hana living alone in the mountains was sad, but i know Ame is protecting her from a far.

tinyRedLeaf said:
A friend of mine forwarded me some interesting information drawn from French interviews with director Mamoru Hosoda:

"A journalist praised Hana for letting her kids make their choice and wondered how Hosoda's parents handled the news that he wanted to be an animator, given that it's not a well-regarded profession.

"Hosoda said he was interested in the arts (be it drawing, live-action movies or anime) since he was quite young (in a 6th grade essay, he wrote that he wanted "to be a director like Miyazaki"). This was all quite foreign and a bit odd for his parents, but they encouraged him and did what they could to help him. Hosoda noted that he grew up in the region where Wolf Children is set, so, just like in the movie, he was far from everything.

"He moved to Tokyo at age 18 and 'never really went back' home. Working on Wolf Children forced him to rediscover his home region.

"Hosoda said his parents always supported his choices and were proud of him, but when he reflects on it today, he suspects that, privately, they may have wanted him to return home and be an art teacher at the local school after his graduation from college. He had gone into animation instead. Hosoda said his parents accepted his choice, but it's only now that he realises what his parents might have wanted.

"Hosoda's mother died three years ago, shortly after he started working on Wolf Children. There were questions he wanted to ask her, about what it was like to bring him up but, unfortunately, he never got to."

Thanks for this!! It's interesting how the movie reflects his life as a child. Did Hosoda became like Yuki who went to the city and live her life there? He probably misses his Ame life when he used to live with them on the mountains with his family.

One of the best movies ever!! The animation is great, but after watching Kotonoha no Niwa. They need to use that same artstyle in stories like this!!

Music is superb!! makes me wanna cry T__T

We need more movies like this!! It's pretty long as well!! I actually thought it was 3 hours or something(only 2 hours)

Definitely worth the price! please buy the BD/DVD if you can!!!

Definitely gonna watch more Hosoda, Mamoru works!!!
May 26, 2014 11:00 PM

Jul 2009
Okay just finish watching the behind the scenes work and lots of info i managed to get :D

Hosoda-san use his hometown as a setting is because during the production of the movie. They were traveling all over Japan to see what setting they have. His past works(Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Summer Wars) uses a more fictional setting based on real world.

Here, he wanted a more realistic setting. He also happens to stumbled upon a abandoned mansion next to his hometown so that's when he decided he would use this for the movie.

If the mansion was not there, the setting would have been different :P

Voice recording was only done in 4 days(Full time though non-stop), I'm guessing they spend more time on the animation and story. Surprise they still manage to make a high quality voice work in such a short time!

Osawa, Takao(OOkami's voice0 even said not to dub the movie during screening all over the world. He doesn't care about his own voice, but the voice and production value the staff put it all in their work.

Something dubs will only replicate and nothing more :)

I also saw the trailers, damn i'm glad i didn't watch them!

Soo many spoilers! They even showed the death of OOkami and the last scene when Ame was on the top of the mountain!

It also reminded me when Ame's eyes became all red after the fight with Yuki. I actually thought they were gonna kill each other that time O__O

Here's the post interview from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBsqUxQAjII

I can't wait for whatever his next work will be :)
May 28, 2014 1:33 AM

Nov 2007
The movie was gorgeous. The snow sequence was breathtaking and ugh, gosh it captured the best of what I like about slice of life anime.

But put me in the camp of "the ending is part I liked the least".
It's executed convincingly, providing appropriate endings for Ame who is already a grownup and Yuki is who is just taking her first steps into it. The reversal of Ame and Yuki toward their wolf nature as they grow up is done very naturally and makes sense.

But I'll just say it. It's so conventional.
Of course the boy is the one who strays from the family and leaves. Of course the girl is the one whose coming of age is marked by a potential love interest. I'm sympathetic to Ame, but Ame is following the idea of the typical son where it is the mother who has to sacrifice everything till the end.

Overall though, it was one of the best animated experience I had.
May 28, 2014 9:47 PM

Jul 2013
The movie was pretty impressive imo; from it's childhood moments, to coming-of-age scenes, it was an enjoyable ride throughout its run. However I felt the characters felt unsatisfying imo. Ending was pretty satisfying. Hana fulfilled her wish to let her children grow up and follow their own path.

9/10.

May 30, 2014 1:22 AM

Jan 2014
I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful movie in my life.
So well made, at the end I'm sad and glad the same. ^___^
I'd recommend this literally to everyone.=) Everyone should
have the chance to experience such strong feelings and learn
from this whole new experience... This had a strong effect on
me and therefore I'll probably re-watch it dozens of times <33
May 30, 2014 12:05 PM
May 2012
Wow, that was a really great movie :D
They were a really sweet and lovely couple T^T Why did Ookami have to die T^T
Hana still managed to take care of the children and raised them, but she sacrificed many things, though you can see the happiness in her :))
Ame and Yuki are both so adorable when they are little *^*
Their house and the place where they live looks so beautiful!! I am really going to Japan!!
Yeah, the only thing that I didn't like like was that they just left Hana alone in that house. If only Ame had some friends, he would have probably chose the human path just like Yuki. Yuki should still live with Hana because they can't just leave her all alone, she has done so much for them T^T
Beautiful story, characters, OST, sceneries, animation, atmosphere, and voice acting. The song at the end was really good too.
I really enjoyed this Anime, it was beautiful. I'll read the Manga someday :D
I really thought that Shinkai Makoto directed this movie *facepalm* I just checked it out a few minutes ago and it was Hosoda Mamoru who directed this movie. I must say that he is good, direction was beautifully done. So, he is the one who made Summer Wars too! So, that's why this and Summer Wars' animation and character designs looks really the same, they both have the same feel too (Madhouse is really good at animating). I'll watch Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo too someday!
Thank you ^^
May 31, 2014 7:11 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Movie that gets into your heart! * w *
Hosoda has been able to improve again, a film that has some flaws, but that can hardly give a complete view of a growing family and in which each character makes his choices.
Beautiful OST and scenarios! : D
Surely will leave a mark in my heart for a lifetime, thank you very much! T_T
The final vote, for now, it's 9/10!
Jun 1, 2014 12:05 PM

Apr 2014
it's the second time I watched this awesome movie and damn just like the firts time i cried. this is really one of my favorite movies! such a beautiful, sweet and fantastic movie^^
Ame and Yuki are just so cute when they where little!
Jun 1, 2014 10:21 PM

Aug 2010
Beautiful is the only way to describe this movie. When Ame was younger he was the soft and weak one and just wanted to be normal. And Yuki was the one who loved being a wolf the most. That changed when they got older. I really didn't want Ame to leave. Actually felt a little depressed after finishing this movie.

Overall it was a great movie and my final score is 8.5/10.
Jun 9, 2014 6:02 PM

Jun 2013
That was a beautiful film. Got a bit teary eyed at some points though, the animation and the soundtrack were perfect for me especially when Yuki and Ame were running through the snow. Still a bit sad about what happened to the father near the beginning of the film, but it was also nice seeing him near the end with Hana.

Overall I think I will definitely see this again, and I probably would recommend this to a friend or family member. 10/10
Douglas24Jun 10, 2014 5:46 AM
Jun 15, 2014 11:30 PM

Sep 2013
Beautiful movie, but I can't help feeling so pissed at the ending.

They expect me to accept Hana living alone after all the sacrifices and hardships she had to overcome for her children. Yuki and Ame's decisions are completely understandable but the movie doesn't clarify if Ame comes to visit her once in a while, after all he is still part human.

The daughter says in the end that she is "content" with living alone knowing her children chose their own paths, but I'm not buying that crap. She is still very young and has so much to live for, at least the director could show us her being in a relationship or something along those lines, but that wouldn't make sense since she lives alone in the woods with her neighbors living miles away! Such an unsatisfing ending...
sic mundus
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I hate ame

luksthefool - Mar 19

10 by Davoo »»
Mar 20, 1:37 PM

Poll: » what do you think of the end &amp; Ame`s action ? ( 1 2 )

KaGi-13 - Apr 21, 2013

92 by KURAIKEN63 »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM

» Ame is loved that much?! really?!

aku_mado - Jul 3, 2022

20 by MichaelJackson »»
May 4, 2023 2:36 AM

» This anime is really weird

AunixHOT - Oct 8, 2021

33 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Poll: » Why does this anime have a PG - Children rating?

johnyjohny - May 13, 2016

8 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.