Forum Settings
Forums
Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 26, 2013 4:39 PM

Jun 2008
Loved it. I really wonder what happened to soehei ?

Mar 26, 2013 6:09 PM
Jul 2012
Allow me to join the "I hate Ame" club. Coming from someone who was raised by a single mom, when he left, it definitely made me cringe and die a little inside. Props to Hana though, she is one hell of a mother.
Mar 27, 2013 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
One of the most moving and beautiful anime I have seen. Hope that the anime industry can make more of this kind rather than just some random harem and fan service.

10/10 (-1 ending but +1 personal emotion)
Mar 27, 2013 6:18 PM

May 2011
The story had many moments where tales were told without words, such beautiful art. The mother had some crazy resilience. No wonder people around were inspired to help her. I enjoyed that it was a story which followed her journey more than anything else. From finding love and coming into her own and being able to let her children live as they would want.

As for Ame's tale, I would have liked more information on what exactly he had to do to take over for the fox. But aside from that I actually didn't mind the way he left. It was pretty clear from this lingering glances and all that he loved his mother and she was just about the only thing holding him to his human life. I feel like he ran off like that because if he turned back he wouldn't have the resolve to go despite all the times it felt like he would just wander off. His attachment to the wild made sense to me as well. Since his father, who only had the information his parents told him before they pasted on, even had his wild instincts to hunt still.
fiore777Mar 27, 2013 6:25 PM
Mar 28, 2013 10:04 AM

Dec 2011
the scenery ++++++
Mar 28, 2013 6:13 PM

Oct 2010
Welcome To My Favorites List Ookami.

11/10. That Scene When Ami Drowned Literally Got Me Crying.
Mar 29, 2013 1:44 PM
Mar 2013
There's definitely a lot of debate regarding Ame's choices here. I, too, was highly displeased with his actions towards the end of the movie. I felt disappointed in him, and in many ways it largely looked like he had abandoned the life his mother tried to give him. Yes, she moved into the country for her children, but I think it's safe to say that never in her wildest nightmares had she imagined one them running off into the woodlands to embrace their inner wolf.

The movie was truly heartbreaking for me. I watched it only yesterday and I'm still really thinking about it; I'm sure it'll still be lingering on my mind for the next few days.

Perhaps it comes to that I just disagree with the message of the movie as a whole. Ame and Yuki ended up living out the dual aspects of their father's life, but in the end it really does feel as though Ame had simply run away from the troubles and the depression he clearly felt as a human, and his maintaining of the woodlands seemed more of an excuse for his actions than anything else.

I think the true message I would have liked to have seen from the movie would have been Ame and Yuki accepting to live with both of their halves rather than rejecting the half they didn't think they needed.
benignuserJul 4, 2013 4:47 PM
Mar 30, 2013 10:50 AM

Jan 2012
Such a sweet movie. Cried a bit in the end TT.TT

Apr 1, 2013 12:04 AM

Jul 2012
Ah that was beautiful
Kinda wish the ending was a bit different, or maybe showed Yuki more years down the line

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Apr 1, 2013 5:47 AM

Feb 2008
Front page pic...

Is this some April Fools joke?

(Rotating Signature | Member Cards are fun~)

[Notes on Signature]124 - 172 KB, Width: 140px

Apr 1, 2013 5:53 AM

Sep 2012
KholdStare88 said:
Front page pic...

Is this some April Fools joke?

No, it's the actual poster of the movie. You never noticed it?
Apr 1, 2013 3:03 PM

Jul 2009
Life lesson: the quiet ones might end up as hippies - be careful.
Honestly, what he did was no different than some kid who's in his 'rebellious' phase. He doesn't like the situation he's in, so he finds this hobby, this lifestyle that's more interesting to him. In reality, that would be him leaving home and hitch hiking to go to Alaska to live in the wilderness (see the movie Into The Wild). Shit, if you don't like it so much, go be a mangaka or something. No one is asking you to be a doctor or some shit.

Now back to the story: so, the kid leaves home, doesn't care what his mom thinks about it. She could've died and he would've had to live with the guilt that he essentially killed his mother. She's not even forcing him to be a doctor or lawyer, just to spend more time with her. He's 10 ffs. I wouldn't trust a 10 year if my life depended on it. Now she spends the rest of her life rotting on that farm. Nice. And why did the dad go suicidal again? If he couldn't control himself, go work at some coal mine and send home money at least, jeez.

Oh well, Yuuki and the mom makes up for it. 9/10.
Apr 4, 2013 3:04 AM

Nov 2008
What a twist in personality. Really prefer the timid Ame when he was a toddler/kid. And i was wondering why Hana doesn't seem to age.

It's a beautiful film, kind of regretted not watching it on cinemas.
Apr 5, 2013 2:56 AM
Sep 2012
Gorgeous movie. 10/10
This wasn't just a movie, this was a work of art.
I'm so glad I watched this movie this evening, hair over 2 hours very well spent.
Apr 5, 2013 10:22 AM

Aug 2011
Such a warm and beautiful movie.
Imagine a sequel with Yuki and her life through highschool.. I get the thrills just thinking about it.
Apr 6, 2013 7:07 PM

May 2012
loved it, very touching, especially at the end where her kid were grown. i also like the symbolism in the childrens names, yuki (snow) and ame(rain) and how it was reflected in the weather throughout the movie.
Apr 6, 2013 11:52 PM
Aug 2011
A true beautiful masterpiece. I have no words to say, this was one of those unique animes that makes you feel unique feelings.

And I think I fell in love with Hana.

By the way, I cannot keep myself to think how old was their father when he got Hana pregnant? I would lough so badly if he was 14-15 :)
Apr 8, 2013 11:49 AM
Apr 2012
Just watched it and OMG it's a 100 out of 10 that I would give this movie!

I really like all the movies in the style of makoto shinkai , studio Ghibli and ofc mamoru. These deep inspirational movies are the best; it's sad though that there aren't many anime like that now....:(

Anyway, about the movie, it was total bliss!! from the amazing art/animation to the unique story, everything! I think it depicts well the trials and problems that young people face, and how people can completely change over time...

As for Ame's case, I don't think he is "bad". He is not being mean to his mother when he goes to the forest, he's just 'grown up' and found his way in life...

I just wished the movie was longer!xD

btw am I the only one who noticed that they didn't give a name to the kids' dad...?
MiyakoLHPApr 8, 2013 12:05 PM
"Everyone is getting into relationships and growing up and I'm just getting lazier and finding new anime to watch and new manga to read"
Apr 8, 2013 1:10 PM

Mar 2010
i didnt like it at all
Apr 13, 2013 2:02 PM

Mar 2013
The movie is written so wonderfully. I started watching it because my friend recommended it, and I do not regret it.

The only issue I had was that the ending left me feeling empty. It seemed as if Ame was never going to see his mother or sister again, and it just made me really sad. I would've liked to know if they ever met again. I felt so sad when Hana was left alone in her house by the mountains.

On another note, I thought that Ame was being a brat for running away during a typhoon. He could've gone off a day where it wasn't raining or maybe compromised with his mom. But I guess it's interpreted in a way that the author wants it to be. I felt especially bad for Hana who went all the way into the forest (where she could've died due to the horrible weather) and in the end he just places her in a parking lot and leaves her. I understand that he has to go his own way but...the way he ran off just made him seem like a rebellious preteen, not a fully matured adult wolf. Eh, there could be ways to speak against this I guess. But I just wish that he still remembers his family and tries to keep contact with them.
VeenaValApr 13, 2013 2:16 PM
Apr 13, 2013 8:58 PM
Mar 2010
Really wonderful. It is definitely the best film that I ever watch from Mamoru.
VeenaVal said:

The only issue I had was that the ending left me feeling empty. It seemed as if Ame was never going to see his mother or sister again, and it just made me really sad. I would've liked to know if they ever met again. I felt so sad when Hana was left alone in her house by the mountains.

On another note, I thought that Ame was being a brat for running away during a typhoon. He could've gone off a day where it wasn't raining or maybe compromised with his mom. But I guess it's interpreted in a way that the author wants it to be. I felt especially bad for Hana who went all the way into the forest (where she could've died due to the horrible weather) and in the end he just places her in a parking lot and leaves her. I understand that he has to go his own way but...the way he ran off just made him seem like a rebellious preteen, not a fully matured adult wolf. Eh, there could be ways to speak against this I guess. But I just wish that he still remembers his family and tries to keep contact with them.

Yeah, I feel like that too, the last part of the movie is painful to watch. But I guess the reason he has to go is because he is worried about other animals in the mountain, I mean his job is to take care of them, right?

I guess Ame also can't stand to watch the sight of Hana losing him, that's why he runs so abruptly, he had to resolve himself. But just like Yuki who decides to be human, he decides to be wolf, and it's wondeful for Hana to let their children choose for themselves.
Apr 14, 2013 7:00 PM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
VeenaVal said:

I too felt sad for Hana. I assume that Hana gets some peace hearing Ame howling in the mountains and I also would hope that Yuki would visit her mother on a regular basis like any child would who loves her parents.
Apr 16, 2013 7:45 PM

Nov 2012
This movie was amazing.
Apr 18, 2013 3:27 PM

Feb 2010
eeeeh kinda overrated, definitely good and worth recomending to my friends but~~~ kinda~~ i expected more from the top 10 anime on MAL
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Apr 18, 2013 6:42 PM

Jul 2011
What a beautiful movie! I ended up crying at the end, but couldn't tell if I was sad or happy. Highly recommended
Apr 20, 2013 2:18 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, that was an excellent movie. It made me feel empty towards the end though.
Ookami's sudden death still puzzles me. Why did he leave the groceries and wallet outside of the house?
After reading Mewfeuille's comment, Ame's distant behaviour seemed more justifiable. But I wonder, how did Hana explain Ame's disappearance to the neighbours?
Apr 20, 2013 12:49 PM

Aug 2011
Very good movie but kinda overrated.

7/10
Apr 21, 2013 11:40 PM

Dec 2008
Best anime movie after Haruhi. 10/10
Apr 22, 2013 12:28 PM

Apr 2009
Best anime movie I have watched.Even thinking of putting it in my favorites. 10/10

Apr 22, 2013 9:04 PM

Nov 2007
so is anyone gonna talk about that scene right after Hanna found out her soon to be husband was a wolf? >.>

banana
Apr 23, 2013 4:29 PM

Nov 2012
DarkRoseOtaku said:
so is anyone gonna talk about that scene right after Hanna found out her soon to be husband was a wolf? >.>

That part was kind of weird, before they had had sex I saw him turn into wolf form. Thats probably the reason everybody's keeping quiet about that part Lol.
Apr 24, 2013 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
I'm so glad I got the chance to sit down and watch this. It was an absolutely lovely little film, one of the best anime films I've seen.

Ame was a bit too angsty for my liking, but I couldn't hate him by the end. I agree with others that it does feel a bit empty that he just upped and left, leaving behind his mother and sister, but after thinking about it more, I believe it to be the most fitting ending for him. He found his own place and went his own way while Yuki decided to go on a different path. In the end, each of them found their resolve to continue on the path they chose.

It's just kind of sad thinking about Hana being left alone in that house after 12 years of raising her children with all her heart. But I suppose that's part of being a parent (not that I would know from experience): raising your children and then watching them go off on their own and moving on in their lives.

I have to say, I really adored Yuki, and Hana was just completely admirable. I loved this film and its characters. It encompassed so many emotions and subjects in just two hours.
Apr 24, 2013 10:15 PM

Feb 2008
I cried. :(
Ame is a darling when he's crying because of the wolf story.. :(
oooohhhh.. sweet children..
reiko64Apr 24, 2013 10:18 PM
... =_=

Apr 25, 2013 8:18 AM

Feb 2008
Hands down one of the best movies I've ever seen!
Apr 25, 2013 8:51 PM

Jul 2008
It's movies like these that keep me watching anime.

10/10
Apr 26, 2013 11:33 PM

Mar 2010
Mewfeuille said:
I think some people are forgetting the significance of the fox in the story. He was the guardian of the forest; the one who helped the animals keep away from Hana's new home so that her crops can prosper. The tenants living there prior had no choice to leave BECAUSE of the wild animals. However, the fox seeing that there were kin living there decided to spare them.

When the fox died, a giant typhoon came (thus Ame had no choice but to be the new guardian of the forest). He didn't do this just because the forest needed a replacement, but because he also wanted to protect his family from misfortunes. Hence typhoon clearing when Ame leaves his mom.

While I agree that the fox played an important role in the story he wasn't the reason their garden was safe. The kids peeing in the area was the reason for that. Animals mark their territory through pee and the fact that there was wolf pee in the area made the other animals stay clear of the garden and home.

Overall I think I would just rather watch the first half the second half just left me feeling depressed. I could of just watched them be wolf children running around the whole movie lol.

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Apr 27, 2013 2:13 AM
Jan 2010
I was looking forward to watch this film despite its limited opening in Thailand in 2012, yet I missed the opportunity due to other engagements. I finally got a chance to watch it on Blu-Ray yesterday and I have to say that it is definitely one of the best animated feature film I've ever seen. Truly heartwarming and enjoyable, despite a lot questions that lingers my mind.

The general aspects of the film is awesome. The character design, scenery, background music, raindrops and snow effects were top-notch.

I gotta hail on Hana's actions throughout the film. It shows the true unconditional mother's love to their children and how she would go against incredible odds to raise and protect them. Especially since she could not raise them the traditional way due to their lupine heritage. The frantic scene during Yuki's accidental ingestion of silica gel, how the neighbors complained about (wolf) cries, the cover-up from social service personnel, moving out to rural area and growing up crops by her own showed this in an objective manner.

How and why they managed to fall in love and successfully conceive was quite intriguing and mind-blowing, especially since they had an intercourse while the Papa Wolf was in his wolf form. (Bestiality much?)

I found the death of Papa Wolf emotionally catastrophic, considering the fact that I was obsessed with lycanthropes and anthro animals alike. The fact that his death was so sudden and how his body was disposed killed a part of me inside. Furthermore, Hana did not have a chance to retrieve his body for proper burial, or even for a service. Also, it was pretty strange how the personnel did not notice the fact that it was a Japanese wolf (which would have been already extinct for a century), and that they should have send the body for additional forensics analysis.

It was also pretty strange on how Souhei managed to sense Yuki's true nature while the other kids didn't. Also, I wonder if Yuki and Souhei still see each other after they have reconciled. Maybe even have kids together? Also, whether or not Yuki has decided to forsake her wolfish nature. Or whether her puberty or menarche will affect her in a certain way.

The thing that kinda bugged me was Ame's nature and the actual ending of the film. It is perfectly understandable that Ame had found his purpose in life of being a successor to the wise elder fox and becoming a forest guardian despite being 10, and after a violent quarrel with his own sister because of their different perspectives. But his unexpected departure and lack of explanation is really mind-boggling, I still wonder if he comes back to Hana every once in a while, since she'll definitely miss him after all the things that they have been through.

Though I didn't cry during the film, it managed to leave a very strong emotional feeling even after 24 hours. I'm pretty sure I'll be remembering this film for a very long time.

10/10

Edit 1 - The scene near the end of the film, where Papa Wolf tells Hana that she has raised their children well, kinda felt like Les Miserables with a reversed gender role.

Edit 2 - Finally lost it and cried after another brief watch and discussion. Approx. 40 hours elapsed after first watch.
ConfidentialApr 27, 2013 11:08 PM
Apr 30, 2013 1:39 PM

Aug 2008
First of all, let me just say this movie has an epic soundtrack.
Sometimes I find myself paying more attention to the bgm than the scenes.

Although this movie is about the wolf children, Hana's my favorite character.
I honestly thought she died when she fell down the mountain slope and started hallucinating/dreaming about Ookami.
Man it must hurt watching your husband's body being dumped carelessly into the garbage truck just like a piece of trash.

Just from first impressions, I'm sure many people thought Yuki would choose the path of being a wild wolf. And the quiet and timid Ame more likely to choose the path of being a human. It was a nice reversal of roles in the end.
May 3, 2013 5:06 AM

Apr 2013
Well after watching the movie for the first time and reading all of the comments, I agree with many things including the
Apart from all these things it was definitely a great movie and very unique imo against everything else I've watched.
9/10
May 5, 2013 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
The movie was really good, but for some reason, the ending didn't really satisfy me.
May 5, 2013 8:55 AM

Mar 2012
OMG!! this is one of the most wonderful marvelous beautiful anime movie i`ve ever watched in my entire life!!!

i would recommend this to anime fans and i`m glad this rating is very high.

i would rate it 11/10
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
May 6, 2013 5:15 AM

Jun 2012
a very good aniem
May 6, 2013 5:22 AM

Apr 2008
Dreamsmatic said:
Wow people really throw around 10s like it's it nothing lol. Overall a good movie. Had some awesome visuals, and great soundtracks, but definitely not deserving of a top 10 anime on MAL IMO.

Imo this was easily a ten, although as you say perhaps I hand out 10s more readily than I should but this movie touched me on a whole other level, I was literally blown away by the whole thing in a way that I wasn't by the girl who leapt through time or Summer Wars (both by the same guy).
May 9, 2013 6:43 PM
Nov 2008
Imo it's easier to make an amazing movie than an amazing series. Lower timeframe, better continuity=better flow.
But that doesn't mean that movies are lesser works or anything, I just think the shorter something is the easier it is to not make mistakes.
The ending was rather abrupt and Ame's decision didn't get enough screentime (yeah I just contradicted myself), so it felt a bit out of the blue (I mean there were signs and all, but... I don't know it hit me when he stopped talking I was expecting some kind of farewell scene with his family).
May 10, 2013 3:03 PM

Aug 2009
I loved this movie so much, it made my eyes tear at places where I least expected it, for example when Hana got help with the crops by that old man, it really touched me, one of many examples.
I would recommend this movie to anyone, its just fantastic.
10/10
May 10, 2013 4:41 PM

Jan 2010
I really enjoyed this movie. It was beautiful. But just one thing - I just can't stop crying.
May 11, 2013 2:34 AM

Aug 2012
Decided to rewatch the movie, the Mother's Day atmosphere gives rise to even more feels
May 15, 2013 8:23 AM

Sep 2009
Beautiful movie. While there were some things I disliked (like Ame and some over-dramatisation) it was a very touching and wonderful experience. I enjoyed the story of Hana and Ookami and the kids as smaller children better than when they were in primary school.

Overall I rated it 9/10. Would want others to see it.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
May 18, 2013 3:24 PM

Aug 2008
Amazing wonderful animation! So beautiful. And the soundtrack was just lush.

I was quite surprised it was Ame that took to the woods/mountains when Yuki was more lively and wolf like when they were younger.

It was a great little story.
May 25, 2013 9:16 AM

Jan 2008
A nice movie with notable soundtrack. The story was a little slow at first that I thought I'd be bored but the children were a delight to watch particularly the energetic Yuki. The accompanying music when the children raced through the snowy mountain was spectacular. I felt the adrenaline rush there.

I'm glad there was a closure to Yuki's and Souhei's accident. On another note, I'm also bothered with Ame's action in the end. Although he's half wolf, he's also human and loved dearly by his mother. He could have brought Hana back to the house properly, and even part more properly. The ordeal that Hana experienced looking for Ame in that stormy day was heart wrenching to watch. For some moment, I even thought Hana might be dead.

The reversal of roles of Yuki and Ame came to be a surprised. And, it was executed brilliantly. Overall, this is a nice movie. The ending was a bit realistic. And added with Ame's action, it left me a bit unsatisfied.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I hate ame

luksthefool - Mar 19

10 by Davoo »»
Mar 20, 1:37 PM

Poll: » what do you think of the end & Ame`s action ? ( 1 2 )

KaGi-13 - Apr 21, 2013

92 by KURAIKEN63 »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM

» Ame is loved that much?! really?!

aku_mado - Jul 3, 2022

20 by MichaelJackson »»
May 4, 2023 2:36 AM

» This anime is really weird

AunixHOT - Oct 8, 2021

33 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Poll: » Why does this anime have a PG - Children rating?

johnyjohny - May 13, 2016

8 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.