MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Jul 16 - 22
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Jul 16 - 22

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
07-24-12, 12:31 PM

Nachtwandler_21 said:
@jmal

Movie was much better that S2. And I know that it would get this much sales. Just that I don't really like K-On. It's only "medicore" for me so I feel bad that it could make KyoAni wish to make more K-On while there are a lot of better thing they could continue or make.
I'm pretty sure KyoAni has more than one team working on different projects.

With the way the movie ended and its huge success, I wouldn't expect another season ( If any ) for 2-3 years. Many consider the movie a solid ending to the series despite the manga continuing on to their university lives, so KyoAni would be wise to not 'milk' the franchise further until hype dies down a bit.

You're right about one thing though; there are a lot of better things they could make. KyoAni has so much talent and quality in their projects and I really want to see them branch out. Take this video for example:

That was just a commercial to promote a LN. Whether it's an actual series they're making remains to be seen, but as you can see from that video they have SO MUCH potential to make EPIC anime.

07-24-12, 12:58 PM

Yvese said:
Many consider the movie a solid ending to the series despite the manga continuing on to their university lives, so KyoAni would be wise to not 'milk' the franchise further until hype dies down a bit.

Waiting (too long) is very risky. Interest fades fast when fans have a hundred or more new shows to watch every year, because brains (not to mention wallets) can only process so much. If you wait, you have to count on the fandom staying stable or increasing during that time, and that's not true for many franchises. Particularly when the original source material has dried up, as it has in K-ON!'s case.

Of course it all comes down to how long "too long" is. K-ON! is undoubtedly far more resilient than most late night anime, both in the size and fervor of its fanbase.

That was just a commercial to promote a LN. Whether it's an actual series they're making remains to be seen, but as you can see from that video they have SO MUCH potential to make EPIC anime.

If you define "realizing potential" as being synonymous with "making action anime". I don't, although I know they could do a really good one if they wanted to (SoraAge had some great ones and they've shown what they can do in scattered scenes in Haruhi, Nichijou, etc), and I'm sure I'd love it.

But even if they don't, I have no problem with it. They're still a small studio by industry standards, and still don't work on more than one or two projects at a time. And they put everything they've got into giving each series they animate the highest possible production values. Whether that's three people talking in a room or a massive battle, the craftsmanship is evident.
Modified by jmal, 07-24-12, 1:03 PM
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/

07-24-12, 1:12 PM

Toriko's ending was great! good job :3

07-24-12, 1:24 PM

LOL @ K-On. What a surprise.

Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies up there though. WOOT.

kurosaki_kabuto said:
Grave of the Fireflies came out on Blu-ray? I wonder if any fansub will pick it up... I'm quite curious about how it looks, there are some remasters of old movies that look quite phenomenal all things considered.
Me too. I'd like to see that.

07-24-12, 9:17 PM

@Yvese

How this LN named in english? Could I find it ot MAL?

The problem is that KyoAni never makes more than one series per season so making one delays all other at least till it ends airing.

07-24-12, 9:39 PM

Nachtwandler_21 said:
@Yvese

How this LN named in english? Could I find it ot MAL?

The problem is that KyoAni never makes more than one series per season so making one delays all other at least till it ends airing.
It's called Beyond the Boundary. More info here and here

I'm hoping KyoAni adapts it. Their upcoming anime Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! was from a novel that received an honorable mention by KyoAni in 2010, and Beyond the Boundary also received an honorable mention last year.

They're also the ones that released the novel itself so I'm hoping that increases its chance it will get animated by them just like Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!.

jmal said:

Waiting (too long) is very risky. Interest fades fast when fans have a hundred or more new shows to watch every year, because brains (not to mention wallets) can only process so much. If you wait, you have to count on the fandom staying stable or increasing during that time, and that's not true for many franchises. Particularly when the original source material has dried up, as it has in K-ON!'s case.

Of course it all comes down to how long "too long" is. K-ON! is undoubtedly far more resilient than most late night anime, both in the size and fervor of its fanbase.
True. As you said, it's far more resilient than most anime. However, I think a 2-3 year break is good for everyone. Too much exposure can be bad and 2-3 years shouldn't hurt it that much considering KyoAni's prestige.

Heck, Haruhi's second season released 3 years later yet still managed to sell 20k avg ( Even with EE lol ) so I wouldn't be too surprised if they came out with a season 3 of K-ON 2-3 years from now and it still managed to sell 20k+.

jmal said:

They're still a small studio by industry standards, and still don't work on more than one or two projects at a time. And they put everything they've got into giving each series they animate the highest possible production values. Whether that's three people talking in a room or a massive battle, the craftsmanship is evident.
Agreed. That's what I love about them; they give each anime they release their best. It's exactly why a studio like them needs to branch out into other genres!
Modified by Yvese, 07-24-12, 10:11 PM

07-25-12, 12:44 AM

Good to see Spice and Wolf made the list at least. I'm hopeful that if the boxed re-release of Season I and II sell well, they'll be encouraged to push a Season III out. Here's to hoping!

07-25-12, 4:54 AM

That Totoro/Grave of Fireflies Combo better get a Region B or All Region release, want it so bad.

07-25-12, 5:50 AM

Yvese said:
I'm hoping KyoAni adapts it. Their upcoming anime Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! was from a novel that received an honorable mention by KyoAni in 2010, and Beyond the Boundary also received an honorable mention last year.

They're also the ones that released the novel itself so I'm hoping that increases its chance it will get animated by them just like Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a number of anime based on their own novel line in coming years. If anything pushes out K-ON! or Haruhi sequels, it's likely to be that.

pewpewk said:
Good to see Spice and Wolf made the list at least. I'm hopeful that if the boxed re-release of Season I and II sell well, they'll be encouraged to push a Season III out. Here's to hoping!

Only sold 1k so there's not much to say, but this was just a cheap "package it up and get it out again" release with low expectations, I guess. What I want to see is a re-release of the BD box for season one. First season and its BD box came out before I started importing, so I never was able to get it. I have the second season BD singles so I'm fine there, but would like to own the first as well.

Odds of a third season are so low now though. 3 years since season two + novels are over for a year now = recipe for a huge drop in sales if they try to animate another season. First season averaged 8,728 but the second season averaged 5,096 so a third could easily drop below 3k. I hope I'm wrong, or that they try anyway, but I'm not holding my breath.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/

07-25-12, 6:17 AM

dtshyk said:

*4, 14,328 *14,328 Hanazawa Kana "Hatsukoi no Oto"
*8, 11,794 *11,794 Campione! "Raise"

If it's Kana, it can't go wrong. Glad that Yui Ogura's "Raise" is selling, one of my favourite OP/ED songs from this season of anime. Plus the other track, Pon de Fighting, is just as awesome. I guess the AW OP2 Burst The Gravity CD will be on the next chart, looking forward to seeing the results for that.

07-25-12, 10:20 AM

K-ON so much >.< need 2 still watch season 2 :o

07-25-12, 7:04 PM

K-ON, Nuff said

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices