Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2012 9:59 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
KajiKaji's character and another guy at the beach?! lol @ his comments to some people.

The woman dislikes the guy (from ep.1?) who sends so many letters. She told her brother about it. At the poetry gathering, the guy used flowers he planted to make one. A guy is jealous of him. lol~ he tries to say sorry to him with the dogeza. The woman agreed to meet that guy because there's a "friend". who dogeza to him.

The three of them are doing poetry making, and that guy made the bad air again. Making poetry = ease? When going back, the two discussed about the poetry making and skillful or not. lol @ the poetry when wind comes. Next day, the guy golden hair got sick. lol @ orange face.

Back to the beach. KajiKaji's character with another guy, who got ignored before.

Not sure about next ep. (since I was wrong about this ep. being another love story).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 23, 2012 12:30 PM
Sep 2011
This may just be my favourite episode yet. It's especially great to see how Yasuhide grows as a person. He appeared envious and groveling at first but experiences a change of heart after meeting Yoshiko, realizing how similar they are as both of them are restricted by gender and social status respectively.

Narihira and Yoshiko chose poetry fully by choice in order to escape the confinement imposed by society and the responsibilities that threaten to uproot their identities. Yasuhide possesses an admittedly different but just as valuable freedom as he can create poems only he is able to write due to his poor upbringing which serve as his identity and as such he won't be weighted down by responsibility either.

This may not have been a lovestory (even though there were subtle details revealing Yasuhide's attraction to Yoshiko) but for me it felt just as satisfying as the last few stories.
Jul 23, 2012 4:09 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty fun :) I really love Yasuhide :D
Jul 23, 2012 6:28 PM

Feb 2011
I was prepared for more heart wrenching stories, but got a nice one about poetry being a path to freedom instead.

Was decent, just not as good as the others.
Jul 23, 2012 7:50 PM

Jul 2012
It's nice that they didn't decide to only do love poems. There are so many it would get boring after a while.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jul 24, 2012 5:38 AM
Jan 2011
Nice episode. I just love the humour and gags in this one.
Jul 24, 2012 7:28 AM

Jan 2012
Another good episode.Also pretty funny at times. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 24, 2012 3:48 PM

Feb 2008
Honestly, UtaKoi is growing to be my season favorite. Amazing episode, just have to love Yasuhide.
Jul 24, 2012 5:40 PM

Feb 2010
some good lol's in this one...
Jul 24, 2012 6:36 PM

Feb 2012
Fun episode. I love seeing the relationships between all the poets and how each influenced one another.

Anyone else have mixed feelings about the ED? at first it was out of place, then i got used to it, and now i can't stop laughing at the random English inserts that make the rap part sound silly.
Jul 25, 2012 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
I really believe that a good humor has the same weight as a good drama.

And this episode tried to show my point. Poets with different talents that serve different purposes with different feelings.

So far, the episodes 2 and 4 are my favourites.
Jul 25, 2012 4:25 PM

Mar 2012
could people just change their name back then?
Jul 26, 2012 11:28 AM

Sep 2009
This was a pretty good episode even though it lacked romance. I liked how Narihira and Yoshiko talked about why they express themselves in terms of poetry.
And I just can't get enough of the OP <3
Jul 29, 2012 2:45 AM

Jul 2009
Friendship and bonding <3
Jul 29, 2012 1:47 PM

Feb 2011
Rexky said:
I was prepared for more heart wrenching stories, but got a nice one about poetry being a path to freedom instead.

Was decent, just not as good as the others.

Vyudali said:
Fun episode. I love seeing the relationships between all the poets and how each influenced one another.

Agree with you both :) This anime has been a really nice surprise.
Aug 11, 2012 6:09 PM

Jul 2012
WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE WATCHING THIS BEAUTIFUL SERIES?! ;_;

Great episode like usual. This is one of the few anime that I don't hate any of the episodes. LOL

I literally burst out laughing at "Luna-tic" LOOOL I can't believe I laughed at it even if it was so cheesy. xD I like the punny poet, maybe even more than Narihara.

Yay friendship episode!
Jul 5, 2014 8:20 AM

Aug 2013
Luna-tic made me laugh. It was brave of Yasuhide to actually pull out his pun in the presence of two great poets haha!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 25, 2014 5:45 PM

Apr 2014
Best episode yet. I feel as if this show does so much better when it tones down the sappy romances.

Or maybe I'm just biased in favor of historial pun-ners. LOL
Dec 13, 2014 10:58 AM

Jun 2012
Nice break from the romance. And can someone explain the luna-tic pun? I didnt get it. Is it because theyre moon gazing and tics are annoying or something?

Vyudali said:
Anyone else have mixed feelings about the ED? at first it was out of place, then i got used to it, and now i can't stop laughing at the random English inserts that make the rap part sound silly.
I love the ending. It sounds awesome!
Sol_OuDec 13, 2014 11:02 AM
Aug 24, 2015 5:37 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent episode again, not as good as the previous episode but still had a nice story to it!
Mar 10, 2016 2:03 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Eudaimonia said:
This may just be my favourite episode yet. It's especially great to see how Yasuhide grows as a person. He appeared envious and groveling at first but experiences a change of heart after meeting Yoshiko, realizing how similar they are as both of them are restricted by gender and social status respectively.

Narihira and Yoshiko chose poetry fully by choice in order to escape the confinement imposed by society and the responsibilities that threaten to uproot their identities. Yasuhide possesses an admittedly different but just as valuable freedom as he can create poems only he is able to write due to his poor upbringing which serve as his identity and as such he won't be weighted down by responsibility either.

This may not have been a lovestory (even though there were subtle details revealing Yasuhide's attraction to Yoshiko) but for me it felt just as satisfying as the last few stories.

Well said :) I enjoyed Yasuhide's character growth as well, despite the short span of the episode. But it also felt very natural and believable. I like the way he realized that he's the only who can make such "pointless" yet humorous poems, while giving respect to Narihira and telling him that he wants Narihira to see how fortunate he is.

Yasuhide's puns were great though. The arashi one was really good. I don't think his poems were pointless either, as I scratched the surface but not entirely as much as Bakamochi did on RandomC. But the breaking down of the last poem makes the poem full of meaning, and not just a poem with a pun. It might not be love poem like what Narihira excels at, but it's worth analyzing as well.

I also like the way we've seen Narihira through different situations. First was with a lover, second was with a student, and third was with a friend. While in each situation we can clearly tell it's Narihira, at the same, he seems a little different. From passionate, to didactic, and to this episode, which I can't find the word to describe him. But he talked more about his social status here.
Oct 12, 2020 9:35 AM
Aug 2019
I think this episode was great even though there was no love story but it still about a poem that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a love poem, people from different backgrounds can come up with their own poems.
It's great to see the three of them hang out and talk about the poem and why became a poet and it's a way for them to escape and have a bit of freedom.
It seems like even though Yoshiko became one of the emperor's brides she made a name for herself as a poet, now known as Komachi, and she still keeping in touch with Yoshimine.
Nice to see Narihira again well he is known for being a lady's man not surprised that he tried to flirt with Yoshiko.
I also like Yasuhide's arc in this episode.

Jan 20, 2022 5:11 AM

Feb 2012
The episode expanded on the theme of freedom in poetry, and what it means to be a poet. Some of the sentiments were even philosophical, touching also on the issues of class and how the concept of freedom is different from different vantage points. It was interesting, but I also wondered whether an anime is a good platform to discuss these things. With such abstractions the problem is that the writers end up having two characters read aloud different views, making animation and sound unimportant.
Jul 3, 2023 1:09 AM

Jan 2021
I really appreciate Yasuhide's courage to pull out his puns in the presence of two great poets hahaha xD awesome, really.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

50 by puella_magi »»
Jul 5, 2023 1:41 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 24, 2012

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 17, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:59 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 10, 2012

18 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 3, 2012

25 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.