MyAnimeList.net

Manga Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

SAO LN reading order
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Manga Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Sword Art Online »» SAO LN reading order

07-17-12, 4:21 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Sword Art Online after watching ep 1 and 2 of the anime and I only read Aria in the Starless Night which helped me understand ep 2 alot better through I only read up to the first meeting between Asuna and Kirito and haven't finish the part when they fight the first floor boss.

I'm only interested in finishing off the Aincrad arc atm

I checked out the SAO Timeline that Baka-Tsuki has put up and wondering if I should read it according to the timeline or should I just read all of Vol.1 that ends the Aincrad arc and then fill in the gaps with Vol 2 Side stories.

So what I gathered so far from the timeline is that if I want to read it according to the time line would be:

So my question for the LN readers who are up to the latest volume should I go back and forth between the volume and read side stories or would that confuse the crap out of me and better off reading Vol 1 from start to end then Vol 2.

My goal is just to focus finishing the Aincrad arc first

If you do recommend reading according to the timeline can you help me fill in the gaps from start to end of the Aincrad arc.

07-17-12, 9:52 AM

Just read it per volume starting from volume 1 and don't think about the chronological order too much. That would just be confusing and you would jump between volumes. Read the side stories whenever since they're just side stories.

If you're really persistent in reading it in chronological order, then read it in this order

Italics weren't printed in Dengeki so it's okay to skip them.

07-17-12, 10:20 PM

Wow thanks Belatkuro :) I'll try read it on the chronological order first if I get to confused I guess I'll just read it regularly.

Where does chapter 1 happen?
Modified by MrChu, 07-18-12, 5:52 AM

07-26-12, 1:22 PM

74th floor

i would recommend reading it from vol1 to volume 2, in number order and then read the SAO ss stories later

because in "warmth of the heart" there are slight spoilers in it along with spoilers in the ending (spoilers for vol1)

but if if you want to read it in chronological order, its still fine

07-26-12, 11:40 PM

kamikaze_1996 said:
74th floor

i would recommend reading it from vol1 to volume 2, in number order and then read the SAO ss stories later

because in "warmth of the heart" there are slight spoilers in it along with spoilers in the ending (spoilers for vol1)

but if if you want to read it in chronological order, its still fine

I tried reading it on chronological and indeed there was a slight spoiler so I quit reading it in order and read normally from vol 1 lol xD

09-03-12, 12:55 PM

About the stories in Material Edition

Does it matter when I read them?Or can I read the main volumes and start these side stories whenever I want?Do they have any info I will need later in the story(I am in chap.4 of Vol. 3 now)?

09-04-12, 11:04 AM

ssjokg said:

Does it matter when I read them?Or can I read the main volumes and start these side stories whenever I want?Do they have any info I will need later in the story(I am in chap.4 of Vol. 3 now)?
Those are just stories that didn't get printed by Dengeki and was compiled later on. It's fine to read them whenever you want, it won't matter in the main story. They're mostly side stories in SAO except for ME3 and ME5. ME3 happens after volume 4 and and ME5 happens before volume 3.
Actually, it's debatable whether those stories are canon or not since they create inconsistencies in the story. So yeah.

09-04-12, 3:12 PM

belatkuro said:
ssjokg said:

Those are just stories that didn't get printed by Dengeki and was compiled later on. It's fine to read them whenever you want, it won't matter in the main story. They're mostly side stories in SAO except for ME3 and ME5. ME3 happens after volume 4 and and ME5 happens before volume 3.
Actually, it's debatable whether those stories are canon or not since they create inconsistencies in the story. So yeah.

I see.Thanks a lot.

10-02-12, 10:23 AM

This post helped allot as I had just picked up reading the LNs. So thanks.

10-05-12, 1:03 PM

The chronological order does not matter much if you are just reading the SAO arc. However, unless you read volume 2, you will be confused if you try to read the ALO arc.

06-23-13, 11:25 AM

I'm going to start reading the LN's.. but, why is the "First day" in volume 8? Isn't that a little far-fetched?

If the answer is something like, it doesn't have much meaning, the story is still understandable, then I'm ok with it.

Just wondering if it does have a deeper meaning and "I should just readl the novels and then you'll truly understand".

Thanks for the info on this helpful thread anyways!

06-24-13, 2:28 AM

Xandersson said:
I'm going to start reading the LN's.. but, why is the "First day" in volume 8? Isn't that a little far-fetched?

If the answer is something like, it doesn't have much meaning, the story is still understandable, then I'm ok with it.

Just wondering if it does have a deeper meaning and "I should just readl the novels and then you'll truly understand".

Thanks for the info on this helpful thread anyways!
Because it's a new story that Kawahara wrote that wasn't in the web version.
People wanted to know what happened to Kirito after he left Klein when the death game started. He didn't write anything about that time when SAO was still a web version and proceeded to tell the story one month after the start of the game, which is the Aria in the Starless Night side story. Thus he wrote a new story that happened before Aria.
Plus there were very little stories of the Aincrad arc apart from vol 1 and 2 and people wanted to read more stories of Aincrad.

He mentioned this in the Afterwords of volume 8 so you would have known this if you read it. Not that it matters I guess so there.
Hope that helps.

06-24-13, 8:52 AM

Thanks for the quick reply belatkuro. It all makes sense.

I will try reading in chronological order and will follow your list in post #2 of this thread.

I'm trying to inform myself with all material published before starting. There I noticed, that SAO: Progressive was published in October 12.

Seems to be about what happens on the 2nd floor.

belatkuro, have you read SAO: P?If so, would you be so kind to update your chronological list including it?. Or could it be that it covers something already written?

Thanks in advance.

06-25-13, 6:14 AM

I've read the translated ones of SAOP.
The chapters covered there are Aria in the Starless Night, Continuation of Aria(changed to Reason for the Whiskers) and Rondo of the Transient Blade, all of which I've already mentioned above.
And just to add, this one happens after ME4 and before chapter 4 of vol1 while this one happens after chapter 16 of vol1.

07-18-13, 7:09 AM

belatkuro said:
Just read it per volume starting from volume 1 and don't think about the chronological order too much. That would just be confusing and you would jump between volumes. Read the side stories whenever since they're just side stories.

If you're really persistent in reading it in chronological order, then read it in this order

Yosh!

I've just finished reading all of the SAO arc using this list as a guide. Reading the whole thing in chronological order is really something!

I'd advise anyone that has seen the anime 1st to read it in chronological order.

Thanks again belatkuro for putting up that list!

12-28-13, 10:24 AM

belatkuro said:

Between chapter 4 of Volume 1 and 16.5, do you read any of the rest of volume 1 (like up to 16.5) and when you say "finish Volume 1" where exactly do you stop and start again?

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices