Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 2013 10:55 AM

Jun 2010
Finally got to watch this.

The movie was better than the first one but should be expected, since A's was mostly focused on action & it could fit easier in a 2:25 minutes movie. I liked some of the differences but sadly they cut stuff again.

Pros:
1) The beginning of the movie with Reinforce II was better than the TV series.
2) Transformations were more impressive.
3) The new scenes that were added involving the Ancient Belkan civilization were interesting.
4) Fate dream scene was presented much better.

Cons:
1) Some fights were removed, such as the Fate vs. Signum at that isolated planet.
2) I was hoping for more background to be explained regarding the Tome of the Night Sky.
3) I was expecting Alisa & Suzuka to be trapped inside the barrier like they did in the TV series. Instead, they totally dropped that & by the very end, Nanoha told them the truth about magic, the other worlds, etc. Just randomly.
4) Not that much of a big con, but the TV series had more interaction moments between Fate & Lindy.

And there wasn't a 6 year time skip in the movie like in the TV series; Instead it jumped 2 years later. Could that be a hint that the third movie could set by then?

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot but I still prefer the TV series more.
May 5, 2013 6:28 PM
Aug 2009
MillaMaxwell said:
Finally got to watch this.

The movie was better than the first one but should be expected, since A's was mostly focused on action & it could fit easier in a 2:25 minutes movie. I liked some of the differences but sadly they cut stuff again.

Pros:
1) The beginning of the movie with Reinforce II was better than the TV series.
2) Transformations were more impressive.
3) The new scenes that were added involving the Ancient Belkan civilization were interesting.
4) Fate dream scene was presented much better.

Cons:
1) Some fights were removed, such as the Fate vs. Signum at that isolated planet.
2) I was hoping for more background to be explained regarding the Tome of the Night Sky.
3) I was expecting Alisa & Suzuka to be trapped inside the barrier like they did in the TV series. Instead, they totally dropped that & by the very end, Nanoha told them the truth about magic, the other worlds, etc. Just randomly.
4) Not that much of a big con, but the TV series had more interaction moments between Fate & Lindy.

And there wasn't a 6 year time skip in the movie like in the TV series; Instead it jumped 2 years later. Could that be a hint that the third movie could set by then?

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot but I still prefer the TV series more.

While i sorta agree most of those cons are simply cause of 1 fact.
It's a movie that is following the same story as the anime serie, except with way less time.
The orginal serie is 13 episode, if we go by 20min/ep (its a bit more even) then it becomes 4hour 20minutes. The movie however is "only" 2hour 40minutes. The fact that they did it so well is a miracle on its own cause a lot of movies that are based of a serie and try to follow the same story feel so rushed its silly.
But i have to give 2 cons
1) transformation sequence was simply too long, it was better with Fate but Nanoha was a full minute or more.
2) no Devine Buster yell?! It's her signature move and her not yelling it near the end felt...wrong somehow. Was so hoping during the last hit she would yell it but instead it was Starlight Breaker :(

Tbh, I don't see how its even possible to get StrikerS into a movie considering that show simply had waaaaaay to much stuff going on for a 24episode, let alone a movie. Here is hoping for some pre anime story stuff.
AssirraMay 5, 2013 6:34 PM
May 5, 2013 8:11 PM

Apr 2007
I'm assuming you did, but since you don't have it updated on your list I'll ask anyways. You watched the series and first movie prior to watching this movie, right?
Sep 6, 2013 1:31 AM

Aug 2008
Ohh, I loved the magic combat ad neat animations. The OST was nice too. After having had watched Symphogear OST, I've fallen in love with that singer's and VA's voice, it's really crisp and nice. The story, was also interesting enough. To me, it's mainly the characters and theme that attract me to these series.

I'm quite conflicted though, I have the DVD version of the season on my HDD, but I'm a bit unsure if I should watch. I'm the type that once I see something once, I don't tend to rewatch it. Which is why I tend to avoid spoilers.

Based from the wiki and some comments here, I think it was a faithful adaptation, they just skipped over some stuff not too crucial to the story and redid many aspects while still keeping it the same basically.

Well, I may rewatch it or not, I'll see. I'll have to watch the third season some time soon though, the movie may be 5 years away haha.
Nov 12, 2014 4:09 PM

Sep 2012
meh.... Didn't really like the story in this one. I perfer season 1 over season 2.
Nov 12, 2014 5:01 PM

Apr 2007
FlamingMangos said:
meh.... Didn't really like the story in this one. I perfer season 1 over season 2.

You mean movie 1 over movie 2?
Jan 5, 2016 2:40 PM

May 2012
I was already expecting this, but i liked the series much more.

The movie was not bad, but was not great like the serie.
I despise woke people.
Jul 31, 2016 2:09 AM

Apr 2009
Stop comparing this movie with the series. Obviously there won't be enough room for character development in a 2 and a half hour movie.

Nanoha vs. Reinforce is one of the best fight that I have ever seen.

Off to buy the Blu-Ray. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2017 8:20 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid second movie, quite glad to have a bit of a recap of the whole two seasons! While it was a bit hard as well to keep my full attention for 2 hours and 30 minutes, it did had a pretty strong pacing and story development as the main series.

So all in all a pretty solid movie!
Feb 21, 2021 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
Obviously the animation was a massive improvement from the show and I understand that they had to cut a lot of content due to runtime but with that prelude out of the way, Jesus fuck they butchered the entire season's plot.
The entire thing with the mysterious masked man helping the knights and the book's history was completely left out or dumbbed down to the bare minimum. But I could still look past that and enjoy the pretty visuals no problem if it wasn't to that bullshit changes to the first fight. FUCK those changes.

First of all, Nanoha actually put of a decent fight against Vita in the series and managed to land a legit hit with her Divine Buster instead of just getting the hat. She even managed to last long enough for Fate to show up and force Vita back for a bit until her other allies showed up. Then they STILL put up a decent fight and Nanoha's linker core was only stolen because Shamal used some dirty magic to form a portal behind her and steal it. After that the knights just run off like rats before the TSAB can catch them. Sure as fuck didn't get anywhere near Fate's linker core during that fight.
Meanwhile in this movie, Nanoha just gets fucked then Fate gets fucked and Arf gets fucked and all of them are just at the knights mercy. Just completely undermines the effort they put into that fight originally and how strong they were even before the upgrades.

So yea, fuck that change. Had to give this movie a lower score than the series just for that even with the improved visuals and I think they even did some of the Hayate scenes better. Such a shame too since I loved the show and was really hoping the movies would be good.
For anybody who's thinking whether they should watch the show or just these movies thinking it's the same thing, WATCH THE SHOW for the story, then you can come back later to the movies for the pretty visuals.
Same for anybody who's just seen the movie. Go back and watch at least season 2 since you're missing out on a lot. The first movie at least did a better job condensing the first season and didn't change much of the plot.

Overall 7/10 for this movie. Another one of those "I really want this to be amazing but it's just not" situations.
Mar 29, 2021 10:57 AM

Jun 2017
I just rewatched - for the thousandth time, probably, but it's been a couple years since I did a re-watch. I figured since I was going to re-watch both Reflection and Detonation I'd do the whole movie series in sequence. These movies are great. I don't know too many anime movies that score so high on most categories, but the plot is interesting, the sound design is great, the animation and art style are wonderful, bright and colorful, and the characters are definitely the most complex in the genre, I think.

...each of these movies is also longer than the average anime movie.. which is great, though watching all 4 in sequence in one day is a tall order..!

vegeta8639 said:
Obviously the animation was a massive improvement from the show and I understand that they had to cut a lot of content due to runtime but with that prelude out of the way, Jesus fuck they butchered the entire season's plot.

While I don't disagree with you, some of those cut parts were fairly useless - the exception being Alisa and Suzuka's finding out Fate + Nanoha were mages - though that does happen by the time Reflection begins - it'd have been nice to see it happen in the same story arc it happened in during the series. Minor gripe at best, though.

Those cat twins were largely irrelevant right after their introduction in the series, as was the instruction / direction they gave the knights since the knights were summoned from within the book in the first place - so they would have that instruction from the start. The role the cat-girls played was an afterthought by the next episode really, and it seems like everything would have played out the same if they never existed, considering the nature of the Book of Darkness. (rather NachtWal...)

If anything was a mistake, it was cutting some of the fights from the series, but I can understand why they did as the movie is 2 and a half hours long already. It's a lot to pack into movie format, that's already much longer than the average anime movie... that's why I normally object to series remakes or rehashes...

All of that aside, this movie did do a great job if you consider the restrictions. It's even better if you take the movies themselves as stand-alone, and don't compare/contrast them to the series. They are still pretty coherent, given all that was cut - much more digestible to a new viewer. I always recommend the movies to people first, and to watch the series afterward for more in-depth look, if they enjoyed the movies (and most do... it's hard to not take note of the fantastic artwork and animation - the WOW factor in these movies is through the roof)
Alpha-MethylMar 29, 2021 11:04 AM
Mar 29, 2021 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
Alpha-Methyl said:
I just rewatched - for the thousandth time, probably, but it's been a couple years since I did a re-watch. I figured since I was going to re-watch both Reflection and Detonation I'd do the whole movie series in sequence. These movies are great. I don't know too many anime movies that score so high on most categories, but the plot is interesting, the sound design is great, the animation and art style are wonderful, bright and colorful, and the characters are definitely the most complex in the genre, I think.

...each of these movies is also longer than the average anime movie.. which is great, though watching all 4 in sequence in one day is a tall order..!

vegeta8639 said:

While I don't disagree with you, some of those cut parts were fairly useless - the exception being Alisa and Suzuka's finding out Fate + Nanoha were mages - though that does happen by the time Reflection begins - it'd have been nice to see it happen in the same story arc it happened in during the series. Minor gripe at best, though.

Those cat twins were largely irrelevant right after their introduction in the series, as was the instruction / direction they gave the knights since the knights were summoned from within the book in the first place - so they would have that instruction from the start. The role the cat-girls played was an afterthought by the next episode really, and it seems like everything would have played out the same if they never existed, considering the nature of the Book of Darkness. (rather NachtWal...)

If anything was a mistake, it was cutting some of the fights from the series, but I can understand why they did as the movie is 2 and a half hours long already. It's a lot to pack into movie format, that's already much longer than the average anime movie... that's why I normally object to series remakes or rehashes...

All of that aside, this movie did do a great job if you consider the restrictions. It's even better if you take the movies themselves as stand-alone, and don't compare/contrast them to the series. They are still pretty coherent, given all that was cut - much more digestible to a new viewer. I always recommend the movies to people first, and to watch the series afterward for more in-depth look, if they enjoyed the movies (and most do... it's hard to not take note of the fantastic artwork and animation - the WOW factor in these movies is through the roof)

The lack of the cat girls existence made both Fate and Nanoha look much weaker and less competent. In the original they were always behind the scenes helping the knights out and the only reason Fate's linker core ever got stolen was because they used another dirty trick while Fate didn't yet know that there were actually 2 masked enemies with different powers at play. In the movie Signum just one shots her and takes it during the first fight whereas in the original the knights had to run off from the TSAB because Fate and the rest managed to put up a decent fight.

So you can say the plot still "works" but it puts most of the characters in a worse light. The second movie at least has a lot less heart and dept to it. It just rushes to the flashy parts while ignoring most of the original season's plot and character development.
Aug 6, 2021 2:01 PM

Dec 2014
I find it pretty amusing that they changed Nanoha's dialogue to include her apologizing about Vita's hat
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hayate's dialect?

Alpha-Methyl - Jan 22, 2018

2 by Alpha-Methyl »»
Feb 4, 2018 2:35 AM

» Second Movie Commentary

EmilyEvelan - Jun 12, 2015

0 by EmilyEvelan »»
Jun 12, 2015 8:59 AM

» Questions about this and the 1st movie.

MoonXArtemis - Mar 21, 2013

4 by Xerain »»
Mar 26, 2013 6:34 PM

» ???

Aklyon - Jan 1, 2012

2 by Yuuh »»
Dec 9, 2012 6:08 AM

» Preview #2

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

0 by Stark700 »»
Jun 23, 2012 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.