Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 15, 2014 7:09 PM

Jul 2010
SparrowSabre7 said:
Slykain said:

yeah, same... D:

I think that might be why the little girl wanted to commit suicide, perhaps she was an unwanted child?

That's my guess too. But still, she also wasn't sad at all...which is why I think that her desire to die might have just been a passing whim, you know?
Aug 15, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2010
alpir said:
Brilliant episode, very unique.
I didn't realise they were dead...I probably was enjoying this episode too much.

Exactly, I was having just way too much fun. :)

ex_necross said:
KenShiRo-Sama said:
I found it strange when they went out of the ruined building and nobody cared about what were doing two men and one little girl there.

Why did these pedophilia thoughts even cross your mind? Hate to say it but it says something about you, most people wouldn't even think about it.

Err, rude much? I don't think he was emphasizing that it was two men and a little girl, but simply because these people came out of a ruined building and no one cared whether they were hurt or not, hence the ghost stuff.
Aug 23, 2014 1:58 PM

May 2012
In the beginning of the episode they still had their shadow, so they died when they took those sleeping meds as after that they didn't appear to have their shadows anymore which also explains why Zebra could see that death man walking... But I do wonder how that little girl died bes she didn't took the meds or did she? Either way this sure was a funny yet strange episode so let's see what's next!
Sep 11, 2014 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
That was so cute.
Nov 12, 2014 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
great episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2015 4:17 AM

Feb 2014
The entire episode I was wonder why the two men didn't die from overdose or at least show any effects, since they ate a fist full of pills. I realized they really were dead when the girls freaked out after seeing the photo. I guess they died from the falling rubble when the building was demolished. But then that doesn't explain how the shounen bat guy could see them. And this reminded me the suicide arc from Welcome to the NHK too.
Mar 24, 2015 3:47 AM
Dec 2013
Best ep of the whole series.
Apr 29, 2015 5:15 PM

May 2010
Honestly the best episode so far, even though it was pretty detached from all the other episodes. There was so much subtle story telling which I absolutely love. I should've realized earlier that they were dead but I didn't realize it until the girl taking the photo didn't say anything. Although this had a very sad subject matter, it did it with a touch of comedy and bittersweetness.
Jun 11, 2015 2:26 AM

Oct 2008
The show keeps moving and since you really never believe what you're seeing you overlook the obvious until they slap you in the face with it. Pretty clever episode, I found the episode both funny and depressing, that these 3 people who seemed to so enjoy eachother's company would want it to end. But I guess ultimately they got some sort of happiness. I did enjoy them scaring Shonen Bat away with their happiness, that's always a fun twist to see happen to the villain/bad guy.

On a negative note, the animation and art was very jarring in this epiosde at times. Character's faces in particular looked really bad, like when the girl was crying in the beginning, it was literally the worst anime crying face I've ever seen, her eyes looked out of position her face hardly moved as she made crying sounds, it felt so awkward and amateurish. Surprising to see in a Satoshi Kon anime.

PANDEMlCJun 11, 2015 2:31 AM
Sep 21, 2015 6:37 PM

Feb 2013
This episode was so damn funny, but i never pieced together everything till i came to this forum >.<

it's funny too, cause i complained/freaked out at the weird stuff that was happening like for instance

1. how the Hell they took so many pills and survived
2. Why after the crane everyone seemed to simply ignore them
3. HOW the hell that guy who jumped into the train came out "ok" and nobody seemed to care all that much
4. and that Picture with the girls towards the end, which really just emphasizes my 2nd point

Good episode, managing dark humor with deep meaning all in one schtick
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Sep 27, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2015
so they're dead.. wow okay

I just don't understand how this episode ties in with the rest of the anime (apart from the mentioning of Shounen Bat)
Oct 10, 2015 10:04 AM
May 2012

Things got clearer after reading the posts here. Thanks, guys.
And yeah, this episode reminded me of NHK ni Youkoso. Is meeting up to commit suicide really popular in Japan??
Nov 3, 2015 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
Alluka-Chama said:
Best ep of the whole series.

this

Jan 7, 2016 12:24 PM

May 2015
I really would have liked more insight on their past. Especially Zebra. They just show a picture of him with his lover, and then nothing. I want to know what happened to his lover. Did they break up, did he die, what? They give us information like that and then leave us hanging.

You guys who noticed the shadows are really smart. I wouldn't have thought to check something like that. Them being dead explains quite a bit, though. I was wondering how those two men could be alive after eating pills like tic tacs.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Jan 19, 2016 3:15 AM

Aug 2013
Brilliant episode.
Jan 30, 2016 2:35 PM

Dec 2015
I think the happy family planning was a metaphor between how they wanted to die and maybe life (through sex). I may be overthinking it though. Very enjoyable episode surprisingly and it was funny.
Jan 30, 2016 5:20 PM

Sep 2013
Thanks to this forum right now I know when they die together
Feb 28, 2016 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
sinnige69 said:
one more thing I'd like to point out. the two males of the group took a gratuitous amount of pills while they were in the condemned building. It would make sense that the effects weren't visible afterwards because they were all ghost after that point (or maybe the pills just made them trip out the whole time, after all the guy does say "delusions" at the end when he's in the parking lot)

This /\

Also when that computer chatting started I figured it out they were unknown to each other and they were planning to commit suicide and the NHK offline meeting suddenly came in my mind. I just realized they could be dead almost in the end tho when Fuyubachi mumbled about delusion and I saw they had no shadows (at first I thought it was lack of quality lol).

SparrowSabre7 said:
Just me? Or did you guys think the animation quality was a bit lower this ep?

lmao I know right, lack of budget I guess? hhahah the difference between ep 7 and 8 is considerable.
overall I enjoyed it, good ep.
charlerwFeb 28, 2016 2:01 PM
Mar 3, 2016 3:11 AM
Sep 2015
An accurate summary of me when I finished the episode http://49.media.tumblr.com/1b2ceff8602fd98806cd4e2a353d2748/tumblr_nhvt36hTBX1tlv1j8o4_400.gif

Also what was the point of the moment where the old dude saw inside the other guys locket and saw a picture of his boyfriend?
May 21, 2016 3:43 PM

Jul 2015
I adore this episode because I feel that the three people symbolized that the idea of death is in the minds of all, young, mid-age, or old.
Jun 26, 2016 1:10 AM

Feb 2016
Wow the first episode that really got me. Very intriguing and mysterious as well as surprising since they were dead already.
Jul 14, 2016 8:06 PM

Jan 2016
Pretty confortable to come here.. What a peaceful thread; no butthurt.. No troll.. Conversations are good too

This is the best episode of series, i think. The settings are dark and creepy, but in the same time it's really fun. I laughed a lot at some parts. Anyway im just curious by their looking. Seems fuyubachi and Zebra is not from japan or somethin..? Those unique backpack from the start are caught in my eyes too. So i think there's possibility that they are already dead in the first place.

crazyruffian said:
2. i think that ZEBRA and FUYUBACHI died after inhaling the smoke in the building. on one hand, KAMOME died even before that. when she called fuyubachi, he just ignored it. she was last seen at the bridge looking at them (there is no hint how she died, but im pretty sure that she committed suicide after that). take note that after the two men inhaled the smoke, the girl appeared and they saw one another (because they were all dead already).

Nah i think there's possibilities too with this. First time i watched this, it was kind of irritating when fuyubachi tried to ignore her. Kinda weird and funny too when both fuyubachi and zebra wasn't going to be dead after inhealing CO2 in that portion. That's how i realized that they are dead :( In the forest, kamome also said that she didn't want to be left alone.. So it is pretty sure if she suicide herself because of that.
We did this every day that summer. There wasn’t a day we missed.

"I love you, air conditioner."
Aug 24, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2015
Regarding the Happy Family Planning, I thought it was an indication to how those three became a family together. You see, logically you wouldn't be able to create a family (have children) if you use a condom. But if the condom breaks--if an accident happens--you could still get a child. I think that was foreshadowing.

Zebra and Fuyubachi didn't want Komome and tried to prevent ''having her as child''/accomplice by running away (trying to prevent having a child by using a condom), but she still ended up following them and finding them in that house. Though the ad said ''super thin condoms'', I thought that was a nod to how shallow Zebra and Fuyubachi had planned to keep Komome away (they only ran, they never thought it through. Their plans were ''thin''). By accident, without Zebra and Fuyubachi's intention, she also inhaled the gass and died with them, giving her no other place to return to then to stay by their sides. The three of them became a family through an accident (i.e. condom breaks by accident, child is made and becomes part of the family/i.e. she inhales the gas by accident and dies, they accept her into their mismatched family).

Then they became a happy family (''Happy Family Planning''), as seen in the end where they're smiling and having fun.

In short, I thought the ad meant something like: even though you planned against a family, you could still become a family and be happy.
...At least let me finish.

Sep 11, 2016 1:41 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, this episode was darkly comic. Pleasant change from the norm. My favorite scene was the group chasing after Lil' Slugger so he can kill them while comic chase music plays in the background.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 11, 2016 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
What a dark comedy. But I love it.

Starisametaphor said:
Then they became a happy family (''Happy Family Planning''), as seen in the end where they're smiling and having fun.

In short, I thought the ad meant something like: even though you planned against a family, you could still become a family and be happy.

For me this is a message to people since most Japanese has divorce rate higher than other Asia country.

Also, this episode made me remember Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers
Oct 29, 2016 3:57 PM
Sep 2016
I loved this episode, definitely my favorite episode for now and i laughed so hard when the girls looked horrified at the picture.
Nov 16, 2016 11:32 AM

Mar 2014
Worst episode of all. If they were ghosts and didn't realize it, how did they enter the bath and book rooms there? Just lazy writing overall. I am starting to realize that for the sake of a good watching experience, Kon puts in a lot of contradictions, and personally, thats not to my liking.
Nov 16, 2016 11:34 AM

Mar 2014
Astrith said:
TheBaconAbyss said:
What about the hotel staff women who kinda just stood there and watched them go down the stairs...dead too or just unaware of whats happening?

They hotel staff women saw Lil' Slugger go down the stairs, but Kept their focus in that direction. When the trio followed him, they still were looking down the stairs, so I'm guessing that they couldn't see the ghosts.

But then how did they enter the bath without realizing they were ghosts themselves?
Nov 16, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2013
Awesome episode. One of the few times I've gone back and rewatched an episode while freeze framing it along the way to look for hidden clues.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 10, 2016 6:04 AM

Nov 2012
The last scene was a certain, obvious indication of their death. but that scene when Zebra was able to see the guy after being hit by the train was questionable, i just thought the show was fucking up with the viewers, cause there's no way a human being could survive getting hit by a train. the possibility of them being already dead never occurred to me. that's also the reason behind the sense of "disconnection" to the rest of the world, the three of them never had a conversation with any other person at all. it all made perfect sense by the time you reach the end of the episode.

What a brilliant episode, from concept to execution.
Dec 30, 2016 5:33 PM

Jan 2016
I was warned about Episode 8... and I am certainly surprised at its outcome. This made me laugh quite a few times even though I'm not sure I should have, and I've never seen an episode of any medium that is both heartwarming but also disturbing until now.

I'm sure most theories here are correct at the fact they died when the building was torn down, and are living on as ghosts. However I noticed some interesting facts:

'FOX' or Kozuka, the fake shounen bat, was suicidal before he was arrested
The real Shounen Bat can see ghosts.
The Detective spreading his facts through radio last episode worked as rumors have spreaded successfully.

This was quite the episode. If the animation wasn't choppy in some parts it would be a straight 10/10.
Jan 1, 2017 7:54 AM
Apr 2016
ButadonMeitante said:

This was quite the episode. If the animation wasn't choppy in some parts it would be a straight 10/10.

I don't know, sometimes I felt the animation was kinda off to give that "something isn't right" feeling. Probably not intentional, but worked with me.

SpikeCB said:
Astrith said:

They hotel staff women saw Lil' Slugger go down the stairs, but Kept their focus in that direction. When the trio followed him, they still were looking down the stairs, so I'm guessing that they couldn't see the ghosts.

But then how did they enter the bath without realizing they were ghosts themselves?

Why should they? We don't see them interact with anyone nor do we see them do anything that would give away they are already dead. Even if they did realize they are already dead, as presumably the old man does at the end, he seems to easily ignore/forget that. Maybe they did realize but ended up denying it.
Jan 9, 2017 6:26 AM

Jan 2017
I have a interesting question for ya all.The shonen bat we see...is the dead one or the real one?

I personally have no idea. XD
*meme*
Feb 18, 2017 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
The noose scene LMAO
Feb 18, 2017 5:45 PM

Jun 2012
Interesting episode, I initially thought I was on the wrong episode.

Mar 15, 2017 8:02 AM

Jan 2016
Weirdly awesome episode, even though i'm not sure how it fits in the storyline.
Mar 27, 2017 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
had high expectations for the episode when i. noticed the unusually high comment count compared to the others. didnt disappoint
Apr 1, 2017 9:56 PM

Jan 2016
WickedHeroine said:
Really enjoyable episode. Since I love this kind of insanity, the black humor was amazingly funny. I don't know who comes up with this stuff, but they are brilliant. I wasn't even suspecting that twist in the plot, but I should've realized after the train suicide incident.

Navaroas said:

Ghosts were chasing Shounen Bat. Hah.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they were chasing Fox, their friend from the internet and the copycat. They just thought it was Shonen Bat because they didn't yet know they were dead and could see other ghosts.
I agree, it took him a little bit to realise they weren't cornered and he didn't have the same presence the real shounen bat does, freaking out at being chased
May 5, 2017 4:30 PM
May 2017
crazyruffian said:
1. the title HAPPY FAMILY PLANNING is like a metaphor to what they were doing for the whole episode. you cannot expect to have a child if you are wearing a condom during an intercourse. likewise, all their suicide attempts failed because they were all dead in the first place (you cannot expect to die if you are already dead).

2. i think that ZEBRA and FUYUBACHI died after inhaling the smoke in the building. on one hand, KAMOME died even before that. when she called fuyubachi, he just ignored it. she was last seen at the bridge looking at them (there is no hint how she died, but im pretty sure that she committed suicide after that). take note that after the two men inhaled the smoke, the girl appeared and they saw one another (because they were all dead already).

You are probably right she died before the 2 guys. They did not see her before they lay down after taking the pills. So they probably died of Gas/pills and then they could hear her.
May 9, 2017 7:35 AM

Dec 2015
They were so casual about killing themselves lol but that ending, jeez this anime just keeps confusing the hell out of me.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 20, 2017 1:31 PM
Sep 2016
God dammit, I must be some kind of retard: I didn't even realize they were dead until I popped in here.

In any event, Lil Slugger can't be the ghost of the imposter as he has a shadow.
TrevRockOneMay 20, 2017 1:49 PM
Aug 14, 2017 12:32 PM

Jun 2014
Despeaux said:
he looked down at the girls legs to see that there was no shadow...

the last pill he sees in the parking lot, but he had already taken it at the beginning of the episode

and the significance of zebra being gay as a connection to why he wanted to die, anyone?
wtf i just realized that , fucking genius episode lol
Sep 16, 2017 4:32 AM
Apr 2017
I think they were already dead when they were in the abandoned house. They took a lot of pills and inhaled poisonous substance. And when they were in the train station, Zebra saw the ghost of the guy who jumped in the rails because they were already fellow ghosts. And the fact that those three bathed in the same hot spring including the little girl which is not allowed is because they're already dead. Moments later Shounen Bat who I think is FOX their friend showed up in the inn and the only conclusion I've got is he can see them but got surprised because he didn't really met them and known that those were his friends from online. And finally Fuyubachi only realized they were already dead when he saw the others that they didn't have shadows.

I think the "Happy Family Planning Condoms" holds a deep meaning.

-Always wear protection because you cant be certain whether your children are gonna be happy throughout their life and of course end up committing suicide like those three. (LOL)
Nov 7, 2017 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
I think they died eating those pills, and Konome died away from them (she killed herself alone, exactly like she didn't want to). That explains why she suddenly appears after they've taken the pills. She was already there but they only saw her when they themselves died. After the abandoned building is destroyed we don't see them with any shadows either.

Overall really interesting and funny episode. I only noticed what was going on towards the end which was really surprising considering the number of hints.

EDIT: I just realized that in Ep. 6 Sagi is hit by an invisible shounen bat, just like Konome appears invisible until the two bois kill themselves. Also something weird is that apparently the events of Ep. 6 and 7 have already happened but for some reason Shounen Bat still has a shadow (so he is not Kozuka?) and for some reason the three of them do not recognize him as Kozuka (did they think he was a spirit of some sort? but then why didn't they ever question the fact he doesn't go through walls like he apparently did with Kozuka?)
removed-userNov 7, 2017 2:00 PM
Nov 13, 2017 8:23 AM

Oct 2015
tHiS Is veRy RelAtaBle IndEeD
Dec 15, 2017 10:26 PM

Nov 2012
So when Kamome called Fuyubachi and Zebra from the bridge I think she wanted to tell them she thought of a way they could commit suicide together and when she saw they ignored her call she decided to do it alone and wait for them on the otherside. The 2nd time the phone rings when they're in the abandoned building is Kamome 'calling' them from the otherside and Fuyubachi and Zebra answer the call and can see her now that they're dead. And when Kamome says "You can't leave me behind like that" i think she means not dying with her and making her wait for them..
Dec 18, 2017 5:06 PM

Mar 2017
Well, what i think is that the "Happy Family Planning" title in union with that condoms machine means that they could not have children even if they did not use condoms, not taking into account adoption (because the girl is too young, the tall one is gay and the old man cannot get a boner. Besides they are dead). But even if they could not make a family bounded by blood, they did make family bounded by a shared objective: to find death.

The three of them were united thanks to the joy they had trying to die. And what i realized this chapter tries to communicate is that there is something that unites us all. Man or woman, white or brown or black, tall or short, hetero or bi or homo or pansexual, young or mature or old, etc. We are all bounded by death. And as so, they became a family full of joy.

Thats what this episode tries to communicate, imo.
Oct 27, 2018 1:46 AM

Feb 2018
absolutely genius episode
took me a while to make me realize what is really happening
Jan 2, 2019 1:09 AM

Dec 2016
interesting episode but i get the feeling imma need to rewatch it to understand every little thing that's going on (didn't notice that they didn't have shadows till i read it here, for instance). wonder if that was the real shounen bat (who's being haunted by ghosts from the past) or the imposter shounen bat that was murdered in the police station. really wish we could have found out their reasons for killing themselves though.

Treefingers said:
Happy Family Planning CONDOMS.
You see, you can't expect a family if you keep wearing condoms...just like you can't expect to kill yourself if you're already dead.

shit that's well analysed
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Mar 3, 2019 1:05 PM
Aug 2017
Very bizarre episode. The scene where they were hanging was pretty uncomfortable.

A lot of things you guys said that I didn't pick up on. I didn't even realise the twist was that they were ghosts until you guys said lol.

Very dark episode. The issues this show brings up in regards to technology and the internet is even more relevant now, 15 years later now the world has truly submitted to the web.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

89 by LithiumHead9 »»
Feb 22, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.