Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2012 9:25 PM

Mar 2011
astray71 said:
Kirito meeting Asuna in this battle wasn't in the Light Novel, right? I haven't read the chapter (Volume 8, First Day) yet, but I glanced over it and Ctrl F didn't have Asuna's name in it.

Also, I think it a little strange how Asuna never reacted when Kirito had his little speech at the end. Whenever criticized him for being a Beta / Cheater, Asuna just looked on with the same expression.

This ep is from the side stories in volume 2 i think
Jul 14, 2012 9:31 PM

May 2012
i dont know your novel2x and im glad that i dont know that.. so i wont be spoil.. nice ep..

Jul 14, 2012 9:36 PM

Jul 2007
sisgood said:
astray71 said:
Kirito meeting Asuna in this battle wasn't in the Light Novel, right? I haven't read the chapter (Volume 8, First Day) yet, but I glanced over it and Ctrl F didn't have Asuna's name in it.

Also, I think it a little strange how Asuna never reacted when Kirito had his little speech at the end. Whenever criticized him for being a Beta / Cheater, Asuna just looked on with the same expression.

Oh that. Nah Asuna wasn't fooled by Kirito's "I'm a dick" act. She knows exactly what he did and why he did it and says as much in the light novel. They IMPLIED it in the anime... I wish they had made that a bit more clear.
From her reaction to his speech and their conversation afterwards, they made it plenty clear that she didn't buy it at all.
Jul 14, 2012 9:37 PM

Dec 2011
Red-nosed Reindeer...
Yeah next episode gonna be the most awesome and saddest episode yet!!!!
amc9988Jul 14, 2012 9:41 PM
Jul 14, 2012 9:48 PM
Dec 2011
This is the only show this season that seems to be over in 10minutes... I already gave this series a 9 which I've never done before less than 7-8 episodes in, but I can tell I'm gonna love it!
Jul 14, 2012 9:55 PM

Apr 2008
sisgood said:
Red-nosed Reindeer...
Bring tissues.

If they ever do Mother's Rosario... :-;
Anyone that wouldn't cry during that is a freaking tool.

I totally agree. That was a big surprise considering how the LN had been stagnating up to that volume. I was very touched by the whole story, and it was very nice to see Asuna get so much needed character growth. Still kinda bewildered the 'weak Asuna' subplot wasn't resolved though.
Jul 14, 2012 9:57 PM

Dec 2010
Great episode, tho as novel reader I will admit it was a bit rushed, they competely took out the great Kirito and Asuna interactions and and removed the character Argo all together tho they did animate Kiritos sacrifice really great just as I hoped, to bad they didnt make Asunas understanding of his act more clear after the fight as they greatly shortened that conversation, tho that said they can redeem the lacking in their development with later scenes which they are sure to animate

Also it seems some people are confused but this episode was based on he SS Aria in the Starless Sky, it's not from any of the volumes, currently there are 10 volumes released, volume 1 and 2 cover the SAO arc with volume 2 being side stories which occur before volume 1s end, volume 3 is a direct sequel to 1 and thus volume 3 and 4 make up the ALO arc which judging by The fast pace they might very well animate in the second half of the series since the ending to volume 4 is more conclusive then volume 1, tho whether or not they animate it is still speculation
Jul 14, 2012 9:58 PM

Apr 2012
Having briefly skimmed through all the messages, I can say that nearly half the messages are related to the episode feeling rushed and missing novel content. Is this a meme, because I find it hard to believe that everything thinks like a robot.

As I have already explained, this episode does a good job of further exploring other characters' motivations and what it means to risk your life. Granted Kirito's character development was not fully realized, but the episode fully explains to the audience what Diabel was thinking and how it might have impacted Kirito.

Not having read the novel, I realize from the myriad of messages that the episode is missing content. This content may be vital to the development of the plot and characters, but can't one give the director the benefit of the doubt: the director may be switching scenes around, inserting original work to tie everything together in an episodic anime format. So far, this series hasn't messed up and it's holding people's interest (nearly 200 messages under 18 hours!).
Jul 14, 2012 9:58 PM

Jul 2007
Hey guys, how about we all look at it like it you haven't read the novel? Thanks, bye. :D
Jul 14, 2012 10:22 PM

Oct 2008
Asuna!!!!!
So badass. So awesome.

Also, did any also notice that the music after Diabel died was not even similar, it was the exact same melodic line as one in fate zero?

I know Yuki Kajiura does both OST, but this is the first time I have heard the same song reused in a different anime. Despite how awesome the final strike was and how epic the song from Fate Zero is, the use of it in another anime kind of detracts from both animes. I did also find the death monologue rather unnecessary.
The director used Kajiura's music perfectly in Madoka. Each song represents a specific situation in the anime and it is all the more powerful because of it.

I hope we don't hear any more Fate Zero OST. Yes, I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but music is one of the most important, if not the most important piece of any entertainment media for me. I sat through Da Capo only because it had some beautiful pieces of music in it.

Exactly 13:46 in episode 2.
It is the exact melodic line as below (skip to 1 minute 43 seconds, I can't embed the specific time apparently in forum posts).

On a side note, I thought there was more to Asuna's backstory. I haven't read the novels, but I've been hearing things around forums.
Asuna!!!!
Jul 14, 2012 10:27 PM
Jan 2010
spartan112g said:
Hey guys, how about we all look at it like it you haven't read the novel? Thanks, bye. :D

It's not a realistic expectation to have, since a series such as this wouldn't have been animated if it didn't have readers in the first place. However, it's also not a realistic expectation for an adaptation to not cut anything out because there are budget and time-constraints.

As someone who read only volume 1 and not the side stories, it didn't feel so rushed to me, and there were a good deal of subtle hints... but it appears that people are a bit confused or interpreted it incorrectly... I felt it did the development well enough though.
Jul 14, 2012 10:29 PM

Nov 2008
Didn't fell rushed for me. As I read comments about people who read the LN, they rushed things, but for now it looks well done.
Jul 14, 2012 10:32 PM

Oct 2009
From a novel reader's perspective.

I don't know if I'm disappointed, I did enjoy the episode but some things kind of felt forced and out of character.

They're already doing Raindeer? Oh dear, it's gonna rain, my eyes that is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2012 10:36 PM

Feb 2009
Omniknight said:
On a side note, I thought there was more to Asuna's backstory. I haven't read the novels, but I've been hearing things around forums.
Asuna!!!!
We didn't get much of Asuna's point of view in this episode but she narrated some of her backstory in the novels. There's still a part in the future where it can be retold so don't worry.
Jul 14, 2012 10:37 PM

Feb 2008
Great episode, and I'm really liking the series, but I just have to wonder, how is the time in game related to the time spent in the real world? Like does 1 day in the game = 1 day in real world? If so, how are they getting fed and other stuff to stay alive? I'm just a bit confused and didn't know if this was explained or something.
Jul 14, 2012 10:39 PM

Oct 2009
yaHzee said:
Great episode, and I'm really liking the series, but I just have to wonder, how is the time in game related to the time spent in the real world? Like does 1 day in the game = 1 day in real world? If so, how are they getting fed and other stuff to stay alive? I'm just a bit confused and didn't know if this was explained or something.

They're in hospitals.
The same way as patients are kept alive when in comas.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2012 10:45 PM

Jul 2010
Went by too fast~! It was pretty good :)
Jul 14, 2012 10:47 PM

Feb 2008
Much better than the first episode. The animation and music during the boss battle was pretty great and aside from Kirito's shoddy characterization in this episode, I quite enjoyed it. Hopefully it keeps to this standard of quality.
Jul 14, 2012 10:54 PM

Mar 2012
This anime is orgasmic.
Jul 14, 2012 10:56 PM

Mar 2011
why are people rating 9's and 10's when we're just two episodes in? ლ(0_0ლ
Jul 14, 2012 10:57 PM
Jun 2012
I didn't understand why Kirito was all evil like at the end, but loved this episode. I think this is going to be one of if not the most anticipated episode weekly.
Jul 14, 2012 11:00 PM
Aug 2010
oh my... now we wont get to know the secret behind argo's wiskers xp

also from the perspective of someone who has read the novel... WTF!!! how could you possibly squish all of aria in one episode...

as many people have said before, it felt way too rushed but that had to be expected. so aside from that it was a decent episode but i feel that time skipping so much in the first 3 episodes isn't such a great idea.
Jul 14, 2012 11:09 PM

May 2011
Oooh so that's where the name Beater come from lol, a mix of cheater and beta. That badass act by Kirito at the end was great, doing it so everyone else can remain calm and not argue with each other about beta testers. Respect to him for doing that, lol it doesn't look like Asuna fell for it though.

I haven't read the novels yet so this episode didn't really seem rushed to me. Anyway this episode was pretty awesome, and that fight was great. I loved this first glimpse of Kirito and Asuna working together and I just can't wait to see them closer to each other later on.
Jul 14, 2012 11:10 PM

Oct 2009
I think the way they made use of flashbacks for all those little anecdotes worked really well. I really didn't want the anime to follow the chronological order too :(.

slee62 said:

Because it's an adaptation.

Se4nzZWoRLd said:
I didn't understand why Kirito was all evil like at the end, but loved this episode. I think this is going to be one of if not the most anticipated episode weekly.

It's psychology.
Jul 14, 2012 11:12 PM

Sep 2008
I still think this anime is overrated. But I don't think it's bad. I think it's really, really good, but nowhere near #41 it holds at the moment.

On the other hand, this episode seemed rushed a little bit, only 1 big boss fight and nothing more, well, ok, some character development and new character, but those were minor parts of this episode.

Looking forward to more next week.
Jul 14, 2012 11:13 PM

Mar 2011
Gahhh 1 week for episode 3

Jul 14, 2012 11:14 PM

Oct 2009
For those of you who would like to know more about <<switching>>, since it's not a novel it can't really explain it as well as the novel.

Jul 14, 2012 11:18 PM

Feb 2010
sisgood said:
edwd2 said:
R0LAN said:
Episode 2 was ok~
I liked the BGM and the colours and so far it has piped my interest ^^

Though, does anyone know were I can read the light novel ? please pm me the answer ^^

Buy it

That's... a little hard when it isn't licensed or for sale in English yet. Light Novels hardly ever get licensed or legitimately translated so please, get off your high horse and join the rest of the class.

R0LAN - Sent you the info. :3

haha i would buy it if I could dont worry ^^
need more novels to read anyways!
and thank you, i got your pm :)
Jul 14, 2012 11:19 PM

Mar 2011
Damn epic ep.
Jul 14, 2012 11:23 PM
May 2010
Asuna!

Hehe. So second ep in not as good as i hope but thats probably from being an LN reader still good though.

Important developments were carried out such as Kirito becoming the beater meeting asuna and giving us a nice look at the boss fight.

Asuna was freakin cute with her smile! But seriously one thing that bugged me was that it felt rushed since they tried to pack so much into one episode. I think if they would have split it up into two eps and

But honestly for an adaptation it did pretty well considering it condensed an entire novel(well as big as Aria SS chp 1st Floor) into one ep. Seeing next ep preview bodes well though as its not too long I hope it can pull off the emotional stuff off well, it'll help show Kirito's transformation of his character.

Yanoflies said:
I think the way they made use of flashbacks for all those little anecdotes worked really well. I really didn't want the anime to follow the chronological order too :(.

slee62 said:

Se4nzZWoRLd said:

It's psychology.
Yanoflies said:

slee62 said:

Se4nzZWoRLd said:

It's psychology.

True it does create a different feeling, in the novel those key moments are like you're getting to know Kirito right alongside the characters who have no idea what happened to him. But it does create a different feeling here too, still good, just telling the story in a different way, here were gonna be able to experience it all alongside Kirito. Unlike in the novel where there's a two year blank spot.

Been reading comments and stuff about why Kirito told that type of lie since he could have told a better and how he's gonna get a bad rep... so I guess they should have added a monologue or
Adding that in would have made his goal all the more clearer but I guess time constraints and stuff don't allow for that and it'll probably be obvious in later episodes why he did it that particular way.

Can't wait til next week for new ep! Gonna cry my heart out though =(... Well, on to the next ep of SAO!!!~
kyros1226Jul 14, 2012 11:41 PM
Jul 14, 2012 11:24 PM

Mar 2012
Zeally said:
lol if you read novels/mangas you will always be disappointed by the adaptation
even fate zero was lacking. It's a lost cause to complain. Animes have limitations and always will.

Hmm.. So is it really a good idea to start reading the LN now from scratch?
Keep moving forward
Jul 14, 2012 11:26 PM
Jul 2012
yaHzee said:

SAO is real time. 1 day in game is 1 day in the real world. During winter in the real world, SAO is also in the winter season.

2easy4AgEnT said:
Zeally said:
lol if you read novels/mangas you will always be disappointed by the adaptation
even fate zero was lacking. It's a lost cause to complain. Animes have limitations and always will.

Hmm.. So is it really a good idea to start reading the LN now from scratch?

I don't see how it'll hurt. Unless you want to watch the anime with anticipation, that is. All that is different is to take it in now or later.
Jul 14, 2012 11:29 PM

Dec 2010
My god Asuna is FREAKING CUTE!!!

Jul 14, 2012 11:35 PM

Feb 2012
R0LAN said:
sisgood said:
edwd2 said:
R0LAN said:
Episode 2 was ok~
I liked the BGM and the colours and so far it has piped my interest ^^

Though, does anyone know were I can read the light novel ? please pm me the answer ^^

Buy it

That's... a little hard when it isn't licensed or for sale in English yet. Light Novels hardly ever get licensed or legitimately translated so please, get off your high horse and join the rest of the class.

R0LAN - Sent you the info. :3

haha i would buy it if I could dont worry ^^
need more novels to read anyways!
and thank you, i got your pm :)

Velcome. :3
Jul 14, 2012 11:44 PM
Apr 2012
Am I spoiled too much by KyoAni or this ep's animation really sucks?
I feel like watching an anime from 2000.
=.=
Jul 14, 2012 11:46 PM

Apr 2010
ShadowyS said:
Am I spoiled too much by KyoAni or this ep's animation really sucks?
I feel like watching an anime from 2000.
=.=

Classics are good.

Jul 14, 2012 11:47 PM

Mar 2012
i thought some of the dialogue was melodramatic and cheesy lol
Jul 15, 2012 12:12 AM

Oct 2009
I have a question. It is said that 1 month have passed in the game. The real world time and the game time are different, right? And, just wondering (it may sound stupid but) how do they fulfill their lavatory and hunger need in the real world since they are gaming all the time? :D
Jul 15, 2012 12:20 AM

Jul 2011
poring said:
I have a question. It is said that 1 month have passed in the game. The real world time and the game time are different, right? And, just wondering (it may sound stupid but) how do they fulfill their lavatory and hunger need in the real world since they are gaming all the time? :D

Kayaba had them transferred to hospitals, facilities to care for them. They're essentially comatose, but being cared for.
Jul 15, 2012 12:33 AM

Oct 2009
<<Ethics code off>>
Jul 15, 2012 12:48 AM
May 2011
Yanoflies said:
<<Ethics code off>>

lol, is that from 16.5 :3? you naughty person xD
ban1o.jpg
Jul 15, 2012 12:51 AM

Sep 2008
I knew it was a bad idea to pick up watching this weekly. Should've waited for more to air first. Oh well. Animation isn't anything special, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Watching this for the story and characters which will hopefully both be good.
Jul 15, 2012 12:53 AM

Jul 2012
LOVING SAO so far.
Jul 15, 2012 1:01 AM

Sep 2008
Most people like me (Despite I didn't read that only arc in SAO) didn't feel rushed, because most of the main points, I believe, were already delivered in this single episode.

How Kirito met Asuna, how beater term was discovered, how Asuna got into a guild, and why is Kirito named as The Black Swordsman and chose to be a solo player.
Jul 15, 2012 1:03 AM

May 2012
So is Kirito going to be an enemy with everyone now?! Hopefully Asuna joins forces with him soon otherwise he's gonna have trouble fending off hoards of angry noob players! Oh, and awesome new trench coat is awesome and new! lol.
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Jul 15, 2012 1:10 AM

Sep 2008
Uchihafan25 said:
So is Kirito going to be an enemy with everyone now?! Hopefully Asuna joins forces with him soon otherwise he's gonna have trouble fending off hoards of angry noob players! Oh, and awesome new trench coat is awesome and new! lol.

He was forced to do that for the sake of everyone (He didn't want the new players and beta testers to break apart)

Also, I was hoping that they make the red-nosed reindeer into 2 episodes, 1 episode is
and another episode is
But, after looking at this episode, I'm sure there will be only 1 episode to cramp 1 side story.

So my prediction
4 side stories - 4 episodes (Up to episode 6)
Episode 7 - 12 - Main story (SAO)
ShoutaAzumaJul 15, 2012 1:14 AM
Jul 15, 2012 1:11 AM
Dec 2010
Question: Should an anime be rated according to what it is independent from its adaptations?

Different answers to this question will yield different judgement results on this anime.
Jul 15, 2012 1:13 AM

Sep 2008
newnar said:
Question: Should an anime be rated according to what it is independent from its adaptations?

To me, I'll rate this anime according how the story flows, but relating it to the light novel will be between low to medium priority.
ShoutaAzumaJul 15, 2012 1:17 AM
Jul 15, 2012 1:28 AM

Oct 2009
"Beater was made by mixing «Beta tester» and «Cheater». It was a word meant for people who used unfair means and a swearword that was unique to SAO. It was something I’d heard a lot of times. But however many times I heard it, it still hurt me deeply. The face of the person who had first said it to me, who had once been a friend, suddenly appeared in my head."
Jul 15, 2012 1:29 AM
Jul 2012
newnar said:

Different answers to this question will yield different judgement results on this anime.

It's almost impossible not to think of the LN while watching the anime. Rather, you understand every little glance that each character makes in the anime because you read the LN. Like how they showed Kirito looking at his HP bar in episode 1. Pretty much each movement holds a little significance, though we don't hear their thoughts.

ShoutaAzuma said:
Uchihafan25 said:

He was forced to do that for the sake of everyone (He didn't want the new players and beta testers to break apart)

Also, I was hoping that they make the red-nosed reindeer into 2 episodes, 1 episode is
and another episode is
But, after looking at this episode, I'm sure there will be only 1 episode to cramp 1 side story.

So my prediction
4 side stories - 4 episodes (Up to episode 6)
Episode 7 - 12 - Main story (SAO)

I think they'll fit it alright. There aren't as many transitions as Aria SS, after all.

Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.