Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2008 9:24 PM

May 2008
When i first saw the The Raw yesterday i liked it, today i saw it subbed by Eclipse and m33w and it was great. good way to start a series.
Oct 6, 2008 9:55 PM

Sep 2008
That took me by surprise That was Epic I will be watching Next week and the Next week. Until I have the box set in my house! Dubbed that is.
Go Watch Sumomo momo Its epic. It has not gotten much attention... Episode 1
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v83597095dreGdW#comments
Oct 6, 2008 9:56 PM

Oct 2007
This and Casshern Sins are going to be my top two this season, judging from the first episodes of each.

Then again, not everything has begun to air yet, so we'll see, won't we...? :)
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 6, 2008 10:48 PM

May 2007
I'm going to bank on good action, mystery, and characters, and ignore the love comedy(but I did laugh at the clothes, it is the Negima fan in me)
My anime list
Oct 6, 2008 11:07 PM
Sep 2007
Perfect first episode. Really well-balanced. I hope the rest will be as enjoyable as this.
Oct 6, 2008 11:38 PM

Sep 2008
I dunno if I like it, kinda annoys the crap out of me every female character is a loli,
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 7, 2008 12:35 AM

Mar 2008
I've been looking forward to this series for months, and it was worth the wait. 6/5, easily the best series I've seen so far this fall. My only qualm, the lack of Kaori except for in the Op and Ed. She should be coming in the next couple episodes though, then the series gets really good.

Oct 7, 2008 1:10 AM

Aug 2007
I'm rather curious as to how J.C. Staff will handle this one. I hope they take advantage of the fact that there are 16 volumes? of the light novel out right now...

Mmm loli...
Oct 7, 2008 1:23 AM

Sep 2007
Oh my gosh, this is probably the funnest show I've seen so far, this season. Definitely a keeper.
Oct 7, 2008 1:46 AM

Jul 2007
wow eclipse + m33w doing it just makes this go up to my faves of this season! and index is really cute! i thought misaka was already cute(read the side story manga for her) and wow index rivals her...not to mention the loli teacher lulz.

definitely A+!
Oct 7, 2008 2:28 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm, it's a decent start. I'll continue watching this for a few more episodes to see what happens.
Oct 7, 2008 2:41 AM

Apr 2008
This anime reminds me Shakugan no Shana (the opening is similar too XD)
It's quite interesting, i'll continue watching.

Oct 7, 2008 4:16 AM

Jan 2008
I quite like this, special effects animation is superb and great OP :D
Oct 7, 2008 4:36 AM

Dec 2007
Great characters, nice magic, definitely looks promising.
Oct 7, 2008 4:57 AM

Aug 2007
great animation, hopefully the story remains interesting in contrary to the borefest that was Shakugan no Shana.
Oct 7, 2008 5:19 AM

Sep 2007
I didn't exactly fell off my seat watching the first episode of this series. I mean, the voice of the Index kinda put me off. And WTH is up with the loli teacher. >.>

I like the fact that they used the concept of the Index, or the list of forbidden books by the church. Although I find it weird that the "Living Index" would seek refuge in the Church. o.o

I like how she said, "Would you follow me to the depths of hell?" That won it for me. I'd continue to watch the series to see if it's going to get better. (You may notice that I haven't read the novels yet so yeah.)
Oct 7, 2008 6:01 AM

Aug 2008
The 1st episode was good..
I like the story and Index is so kawaii~
Want more of it!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Oct 7, 2008 6:54 AM

Apr 2008
Great first episode, I'm sticking to this one =D I never thought I would like a crossover world, sci-fi meets magic meets psychic, but this one seems to work
Oct 7, 2008 7:46 AM

Mar 2008
I wasn't planning on watching this, but noticed m.3.3.w and Eclipse were doing it so checked it out. Not bad at all. I was pretty surprised..the animation is great and the "fight" scenes were done really well. I am really looking forward to the next ep.
Oct 7, 2008 8:38 AM

Oct 2007
Jigero said:
I dunno if I like it, kinda annoys the crap out of me every female character is a loli.

You know, you see female characters in some weird light. Only one loli was Index, while good word to describe teacher would be "child" (maybe she finished college at the age of 10?). Other characters were fairly well developed by japan standards (lightning girlie, tennis players, women on the street and so on).

Help the poor Ninja! Click Billy vs Snakeman link today!
Oct 7, 2008 9:05 AM

Dec 2007
Wasn't planning to pick this up, but once I saw that Eclipse and m33w were doing this together I just had to check it out. The episode was so-so. It all depends on the upcoming episodes for me.
Oct 7, 2008 9:33 AM

Sep 2007
A pretty awesome first episode. "O.K. desuka?" made me laugh and also when the loliteacher started crying xD

Index is freaking moe. Can't wait to see more of this.
Oct 7, 2008 9:35 AM

Jun 2008
First ep was fucking awesome, can't wait for the next one. I think this may end up as one of the best animes this season.
Oct 7, 2008 9:54 AM

Dec 2007
Pretty neat episode. The concept is a bit weird to put it in the least (magic, churches, AND psychokinetic powers!) but the dialogue was what made everything work. The animation's pretty good and the soundtrack has a nice sound to it. I'll keep watching unless it gets too loli.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2008 10:40 AM

Nov 2007
Was hooked from the OP alone, episode just made it even more awesome. I think the translation also made it even more entertaining, definitely keeping with this for a while.
Oct 7, 2008 12:04 PM

Apr 2008
Was a pretty good episode and the special effects looks amazing :D

The OP was nice too. Can't wait for the next Epi.

and lol @ loli teacher xD

Oct 7, 2008 1:16 PM

Aug 2008
Okay, so this was something I call Great stuff! It's a bit like Shakugan no Shana, and at some points reminded me of Psychic Academy. The story is a bit weird but sure as hell interesting, so I can't wait for ep. 2.

It looks fantastic, it sounds fantastic! I just love the OP! Oh and the railgun girl is AWESOME (i'm a physics nerd, lol)!! So far this is the best show I've seen out of the fall season premieres!
Oct 7, 2008 1:38 PM

Jul 2008
It was a very good episode, the special effects look great.
corroded said:
wow eclipse + m33w doing it just makes this go up to my faves of this season! and index is really cute! i thought misaka was already cute(read the side story manga for her) and wow index rivals her...not to mention the loli teacher lulz.

definitely A+!
I'm definitely watching it now that eclipse and m.3.3.w are doing a joint on this.
Oct 7, 2008 1:56 PM
Dec 2007
Very "JC Staff-ish" first episode, it felt like a rip from Shana at times, but still far more original and better directed. I loved the technological/advanced setting with a mix of robots, ESPs and magic, loli teachers and crazy students in a city devoted to education, it's really original and well-done. It has a lot of potential I think, and among the ten or so first episodes I watched for now this season, it's undoubtedly the most promising. Oh and the characters are just great !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 7, 2008 3:13 PM

Nov 2007
interesting 1st episode...looking forward to the next next :)
Oct 7, 2008 3:19 PM

Jun 2007
Mami Kawada OP, i am sold
that, and the fact that two of the best fansub groups right now are in a joint subbing it... too much greatness.
not to mention the BGM was freaking awesome.
Index in the OP somehow reminded me of anzellote in night wizard... oh well
now for the actual episode.
the main lead is pretty cool. a little sarcasm doesnt hurt once in awhile. specially when it's done well.
i really thought it was going to have a cliche start, with the guy saving the girl.
never actually thought that he was saving an esper xD
the guy's powers look interesting though.
poor guy though...
i smiled at index hanging in the balcony... asking for food xD
index is indeed cute.
incredibly, she could eat spoiled food xD
interesting story so far
i cant believe... now that's a new way of undressing a loli....
iron maiden... lol
loli teacher... umm. what!?
esper girl looks moe. but she's kind of a tough girl... a little tsundere? probably...
and... pretty cliffhanger ending.... i really want to see the next episode, it looks so interesting.

this is definitely one of the top picks this fall.
Oct 7, 2008 4:16 PM

Apr 2007
Well that was an interesting start, since i dont read the manga. Liked the kaminari girl Mikoto, Index was just cute, and that loli teacher crying situation thing was win.
Oct 7, 2008 4:22 PM

Feb 2008
Not entirely sold yet, but... they had a lanky man with long hair and a cigarette, and that's a stereotype you can never go wrong with.
Oct 7, 2008 8:51 PM

Jan 2008
Well the animation is amazing, as expeceted of Square, and the characters so far are funny but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm waiting to see if the plot revolves more around the boy getting stronger or him kicking but and having fun protecting Index. Either way this is on my must watch list foir fall anime.

Ill fix my sigg when I darn well please!
Oct 7, 2008 10:48 PM

Aug 2008
mr_utopia_man said:
Not entirely sold yet, but... they had a lanky man with long hair and a cigarette, and that's a stereotype you can never go wrong with.

Yup, just like cross on d gray man...
Oct 8, 2008 1:16 AM

Aug 2008
i have too much anime to watch D: O.O oh and manga 2 >.> * dies till next release*
Oct 8, 2008 1:17 AM

Jan 2008
This seems like a nice change of pace from some of the other shows that just started this season. I really like the animation and i am pretty intrigued by the first episode so i'll for sure be catching next week's.
Oct 8, 2008 1:23 AM
Jun 2008
mmm seems interesting xP
and lol their teachers a kid xDDDDDD
cant wait till nxt ep is released~
Oct 8, 2008 5:24 AM

May 2008
"So not only are you a lolicon, you're also an M(asochist)?"
Damn right.:]

Well that was cute. I do hope she's ok though.
I mean surely, she was on most of the first episode this one, and even on the ending credits.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 8, 2008 9:48 AM

Feb 2008
I don't see where people are getting the Shana similarities from :\

I freakin' adore Index. At one point she reminded me so much of Konata. That " screw the shopping channel" look xD
Oct 8, 2008 9:51 AM

May 2008
Ah yes not to mention her name's in the latter part of the title.xD
Well goodness, that injury look serious though. I guess if you're a magic user like her a bucket of blood is nothing.

Ok maybe it wasn't a bucket of blood but it looked like she had a chunk torn out of her stomach.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 8, 2008 10:42 AM

Mar 2007
Loli's + Special Effects + superpowers = Super awesome

sign me up for a season worth, so far! And i hope this ass kicking anime doesn't get the typical anime-itis.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Oct 8, 2008 1:57 PM

Aug 2008
The OP (and the soundtrack for that matter) are made of awesome.

kuroshiroi said:
"Shana for grown ups" is my catch phrase for this show.

The main male character is not useless! Who would've thought?
I hope Mikoto(rail gun girl) is a main character as well, she's spunky.
Exactly (to all three points). Although the SnS and TAMnI have very little in common, I see where you're coming from.

Something I'm not quite comfortable with is the mention of some church. Sounds suspiciously like they're referring to the Catholic Church (am one). If they handle it like they did in Spice and Wolf, It'll be OK.

mr_utopia_man said:
they had a lanky man with long hair and a cigarette, and that's a stereotype you can never go wrong with.
Agreed.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 8, 2008 1:59 PM

Sep 2008
eh probably gonna drop it, I don't like anime with unessary loli's
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 8, 2008 7:53 PM

Jul 2008
Richard_Omega said:
Mami Kawada OP, i am sold
that, and the fact that two of the best fansub groups right now are in a joint subbing it... too much greatness.
not to mention the BGM was freaking awesome.
Index in the OP somehow reminded me of anzellote in night wizard... oh well

Index reminding of Anzellote from Night Wizard is ++++. Definitely I did not think of that but you made me think so yeah! I, however have to minus the sarcasm and authority of Anzellote cause Index does not have that at all as personality
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 8, 2008 8:01 PM
Apr 2008
this series is hella good. the right amount of comedy and a really good story.
Oct 8, 2008 11:57 PM

Jan 2008
Looks promising.
Oct 9, 2008 3:56 AM

Dec 2007
THIS ANIME IS SOOO COOL ^^ hahas .
it's COOL ^^

Oct 9, 2008 5:27 AM

Apr 2007
Mathes said:
wow right from the first few seconds of the opening this reminds me quite a lot of Shakugan no Shana (yay for Mami Kawada OP) as well as the atmoshpere and the supernatural part of it.
Seeems like one of the better works of J.C. Staff, looking quite a lot forward to more.

Same.

I IMMEDIATELY thought "Shakugan no Shana", which is completely a good thing.

I have been pleasantly surprised with this show, I thought it would be some generic junk, looks like I was proven wrong big time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2008 11:52 AM

Sep 2008
watch out for the right hand :O
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

205 by DebiPS »»
Jan 11, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

74 by Kayfee »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.