Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 4, 2008 2:34 AM

Mar 2008
so who do think/want natsume's love interest to be?
personally i think he has enough on his plate to think about all that :D
TakaiFeb 16, 2009 9:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 4, 2008 12:37 PM

Jun 2008
it doesn't look like anyone ^^"

Oct 4, 2008 12:52 PM

Jun 2008
Tanuma! XD

There must be a reason why they have Nyanko in a girl form. so maybe it will be Nyanko x Natsume? But it will probably be no one
Oct 7, 2008 4:42 AM
Aug 2008
I think Sasada Jun deserves to catch Natsume.

At the rate she's going, though, she's going to have to wait until the best friend is lost in a jungle, so he can't interfere, and then she's going to have to corner Natsume, throw him to the ground, and force herself to his lips.
Oct 7, 2008 6:02 AM

Aug 2008
It's probably Sasada Jun, but I hope it's Tanuma...he is clearly in love with Natsume, and Natsume is clearly gay.
Oct 7, 2008 6:47 AM
May 2008
i dont think Natsume is gay. what makes him gay?
Oct 7, 2008 8:59 AM
Oct 2008
I think that he's really not interested in love. Seeing as the whole show never had minor alusions to it throughout the whole thing. Most series have a little blush here, a little moment there, but Natsume don't so much as bat an eye at the female who seems rather interested in HIM.

I guess, if anything, she IS the most likely one he'd end up with at this rate. But concidering this rate... I highly doubt he's going to end up with anyone. It just doesn't seem to be something that's important to the story, so it needn't be there as of yet.

But we'll see with the second season. You never know! Maybe Natsume will start acting like a normal teenaged boy. XD

Personally, I don't mind either way. :]
Oct 7, 2008 9:48 AM

Aug 2008
I just think that Natsume's whole mindset towards his power could definitely be a gay metaphor. I'm not gonna write a paper on it, but I think I could going through most of his interactions with all of the characters. But since really the only things that audiences want to see regarding gays in Japan are ridiculous overblown stereotypes or yaoi, it's just better to leave him nonsexual. But that's my opinion, he's either gay or asexual, because, like mizrock says, Azumizai says, there's not even a blush from his interactions with Sasada. But his relationship with Tanuma is quite different.
Oct 7, 2008 5:18 PM

Jul 2008
I gonna go with Hinoe, the spirit girl that is an expert at curses. Her and Natsume have some phsical chemisty, plus shes one of my favorite characters. I hope we see more of her in season 2.
Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment
Oct 8, 2008 6:24 AM
Aug 2008
Azumizai said:
I think that he's really not interested in love. Seeing as the whole show never had minor alusions to it throughout the whole thing. Most series have a little blush here, a little moment there, but Natsume don't so much as bat an eye at the female who seems rather interested in HIM.

I guess, if anything, she IS the most likely one he'd end up with at this rate. But concidering this rate... I highly doubt he's going to end up with anyone. It just doesn't seem to be something that's important to the story, so it needn't be there as of yet.

Actually, considering what Natsume went through in childhood, it's a small miracle that he isn't a total psych-ward case.

Think about it.

He sees monsters and ghosts that no one else sees.

The one person who treats him well when he's a kid

and he gets moved from relative to relative because nobody wants him.

It's a miracle he isn't wearing a straitjacket. People who have bad childhoods sometimes have problems connecting to *anybody* romantically.

In terms of the author intending Natsume as a gay metaphor, it's possible, but it's also possible they know that they'll get pretty much the same audience no matter what, so they're cynical enough to just do the show without having any deep meaning, message, or intention.

But it's also possible that they're writing a feminine male hero because a predominantly non-hetero-male audience wants a feminine male hero. Whether the intended audience is hetero female or gay male is beyond my knowledge.
Oct 8, 2008 8:03 AM
Aug 2008
Id say hell love anybody who will accept him, cos to be honest if a girl accepts and loves him even when he sees things they cant, either shes crazy or genuinely likes him
Oct 8, 2008 9:26 AM

Jan 2008
I wouldnt mind the glasses girl, but i think it would be amore meaningful plot point to have him fall for a youkai. Wasn't there one he grew really attached too? I think it was a firefly spirit that was in love with someone else...but i could be getting them mixed up.
Oct 8, 2008 9:56 AM

Aug 2008
formosan said:

But it's also possible that they're writing a feminine male hero because a predominantly non-hetero-male audience wants a feminine male hero. Whether the intended audience is hetero female or gay male is beyond my knowledge.

Just the point i was circularly trying to reach.
Oct 8, 2008 12:31 PM

Mar 2008
hirahira said:
Tanuma! XD

There must be a reason why they have Nyanko in a girl form. so maybe it will be Nyanko x Natsume? But it will probably be no one

There is. But not the reason you think
Oct 8, 2008 8:51 PM
Mar 2008
noteDhero said:
It's probably Sasada Jun, but I hope it's Tanuma...he is clearly in love with Natsume, and Natsume is clearly gay.

lol! i was thinkin the same thing! he shows absolutely no interest in girls at all! and they would be extremely cute too. but oh well. him being with no one means theres a chance for anyone of them. so fingers crossed ^^
Oct 8, 2008 8:58 PM

Nov 2007
None of them, especially Kogitsune!! (He's mine!)
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 8, 2008 9:35 PM

Jun 2008
DazarGaidin said:
but i think it would be a more meaningful plot point to have him fall for a youkai.

I could actually see that happening.

I really don't want him to be with Sasada
Oct 10, 2008 10:50 AM

Jun 2008
nyanko sensei is the best lol
Oct 10, 2008 7:01 PM
Aug 2008
LoveCute said:
nyanko sensei is the best lol

However, I think Nyanko Sensei's female form is an imitation of Natsume's grandmother. I don't know this for sure, but from watching the first season, I think they showed her a few times, and I think she's the girl in the opening credits.

So ... let's not date a girl who looks exactly like our grandmother, Okay, Natsume? For the sake of my tiny, remaining scrap of sanity?
Oct 11, 2008 5:20 AM

Jan 2008
^I got the same impression, that it was an imitation of his grandma. Dating her would be creepy.
Oct 14, 2008 7:36 AM

Jul 2008
I dont think Natsume has a interest in love stuff. This serie has no stuff like and this way I like it more.
Oct 14, 2008 9:44 AM

Jun 2008
Zeino said:
I dont think Natsume has a interest in love stuff. This serie has no stuff like and this way I like it more.

totally agree; i don't want any romance in Natsume Yuujinchou, it would ruin the current perfect atmosphere <3
Oct 14, 2008 6:33 PM
Aug 2008
Takai said:
Zeino said:

totally agree; i don't want any romance in Natsume Yuujinchou, it would ruin the current perfect atmosphere <3

I can live without romance in the series, but I definitely want to see Natsume learn how to be a functioning member of some kind of community of real humans.

I *don't* want Natsume to remain on the margin for the rest of his life. I don't really want him to go and live with the spirits exclusively -- although it would be cool if he became some kind of spirit-talker professionally.

Natsume has a conflict with society. He's isolated from it. Some anime characters with this conflict never resolve it - at least not by my standards. (E.g. the title character of Saishuu Heiki Kanojo was, as far as I can tell, always emotionally isolated and never truly connected to her fellow humans. This is not exactly falsifiable -- some people can point to the same evidence and say, no, no, she WAS emotionally connected there.)

I'd like to see that isolation resolved, one way or another. Even if Natsume never has close friends, I'd like to see him find some kind of stable social role.
Oct 14, 2008 7:25 PM

Jun 2008
I agree with that. I was talking purely about the romantic part. Romance would be too distracting for such a slow-paced relaxing series. I'm not saying that i don't want Natsume to become more open and connected with those around him. He certainly doesn't need to date in order to do that lol
Oct 15, 2008 12:37 AM

Jul 2008
formosan said:
Takai said:
Zeino said:

I can live without romance in the series, but I definitely want to see Natsume learn how to be a functioning member of some kind of community of real humans.

I *don't* want Natsume to remain on the margin for the rest of his life. I don't really want him to go and live with the spirits exclusively -- although it would be cool if he became some kind of spirit-talker professionally.

Natsume has a conflict with society. He's isolated from it. Some anime characters with this conflict never resolve it - at least not by my standards. (E.g. the title character of Saishuu Heiki Kanojo was, as far as I can tell, always emotionally isolated and never truly connected to her fellow humans. This is not exactly falsifiable -- some people can point to the same evidence and say, no, no, she WAS emotionally connected there.)

I'd like to see that isolation resolved, one way or another. Even if Natsume never has close friends, I'd like to see him find some kind of stable social role.

Takai said:
I agree with that. I was talking purely about the romantic part. Romance would be too distracting for such a slow-paced relaxing series. I'm not saying that i don't want Natsume to become more open and connected with those around him. He certainly doesn't need to date in order to do that lol

Same, I'm not opposite for him being social. x]
Oct 16, 2008 4:20 AM

May 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked Tanuma...actually I'm kind of surprised so many people did. Nice job! *Complete with stupid thumbs up and winking pose.*

In all seriousness however, I agree with keeping the romance out of the series. You've got a good thing going here, don't change it up to the point it ruins it.
Oct 17, 2008 10:57 AM

Mar 2008
wow we have quite a lot of votes!! seems lik "hes too busy for all tht jazz" is winning! thts also wht i personally think as well :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2008 7:58 AM

Jul 2007
Personally, I don't think he should have romance. Yet at least. They should develope him more first, to be a bit more social. Then maybe have a very subtle thing going with someone maybe introduced early in the second season, but end it on that. People that come in late aren't worth it, since it'd kill the feel, and the current cast would also kill the feel.
Oct 20, 2008 6:00 PM

Oct 2007
Kaname Tanuma<3 ;P No, no, I'm not thinking it would be like Lockon/Tieria >_>

While it's true, Natsume doesn't seem to be interested in romance now and he has other things to do, I'd like for him to end up with Tanuma. They seem to get along well.
Oct 21, 2008 6:49 PM
Apr 2008
What? No Natori Shuuichi on this list?? But... He had ROSES in his backgrounds! And he caught Natsume in some kind of flowery meadow setting!

Haha, But in all seriousness, I like this show it has a unique feel, no particularly looking for romance in it. I kind of like the idea that Natsume grows up to be some kind of single mountain hermit that finds peace with the Youkai. Sort of like Ginko from Mushi-shi, but more happy.
Oct 25, 2008 5:53 AM

Mar 2008
Chupacabra-Food said:
What? No Natori Shuuichi on this list?? But... He had ROSES in his backgrounds! And he caught Natsume in some kind of flowery meadow setting!

Haha, But in all seriousness, I like this show it has a unique feel, no particularly looking for romance in it. I kind of like the idea that Natsume grows up to be some kind of single mountain hermit that finds peace with the Youkai. Sort of like Ginko from Mushi-shi, but more happy.

added! and i totallt agree with you on the last bit!!!!!
Oct 25, 2008 1:51 PM

Jun 2008
lmao so Tanuma is the winner so far in the 'if' department? XD you guys.. XDDD
Nov 2, 2008 4:47 AM

Jul 2007
That's all we need. Yaoi Themes in Natsume Yujinchou.

Haha, in the serious side though it seems everyone feels the romance is best left out.
Nov 2, 2008 9:30 AM

Jan 2008
lol@yaoi fangirls ...second place lol
Nov 3, 2008 11:39 AM

Jan 2008
I don't think Natsume is a character who really needs love interest. Really.

Nov 3, 2008 11:41 AM
Aug 2007
Natsume/Jun ftw~

If it didn't happen and no romance came about, however, I'd be perfectly okay with it. Natsume Yuujinchou isn't an anime about two people in love but about people in love with life and all it has to offer.
Nov 14, 2008 10:10 PM

Sep 2007
formosan said:

It's a miracle he isn't wearing a straitjacket. People who have bad childhoods sometimes have problems connecting to *anybody* romantically.

Very true. I am one living example ^___^

formosan said:

I also want him to be able to come out of his "shell" a little more......but at the same time, I know it's kind of unrealistic expect him to fully come out. Resolving a conflict like Natsume's can take years, and is sometimes a very painful process......the anime itself being a testament to this.

I'm torn - on one hand, I want to see him fit in with other people better. On the other, watching an anime about his type of character is what attracts me to it. I don't want him to be ruined as a character for me!

EDIT: I love how Tanuma is beating Jun in the romance department. It's hilarious LOL. But aside from that, I'm glad the majority of voters don't want to see him romantically involved with anyone either.
~ Nothing makes us as lonely as our own secrets ~

Nov 18, 2008 5:55 AM
Aug 2008
I'm amazed no one has commented on his obvious connection with Tsubame. =o

I definitely wouldn't mind if there was no romance in the series at all, and Sasada is obviously a main character where Tsubame was a one-time character, but Tsubame is the only female to really develop a relationship with Natsume. They were holding hands, Natsume kept asking her to stick around, and he even cried for her when he saw the photo of her with the human who saved her.

She probably isn't the main love interest, because that seems unlikely, but I would argue that there were some kind of feelings between them. At least on his part.
Nov 18, 2008 1:06 PM

Jun 2008
I don't think Natsume's connection with Tsubame was anything romantic.. I'm not going to argue since there is no clear answer to that, but i can see why someone would think that way.
Nov 24, 2008 7:19 AM

Jan 2008
Ossochanter said:
I'm amazed no one has commented on his obvious connection with Tsubame. =o

I definitely wouldn't mind if there was no romance in the series at all, and Sasada is obviously a main character where Tsubame was a one-time character, but Tsubame is the only female to really develop a relationship with Natsume. They were holding hands, Natsume kept asking her to stick around, and he even cried for her when he saw the photo of her with the human who saved her.

She probably isn't the main love interest, because that seems unlikely, but I would argue that there were some kind of feelings between them. At least on his part.

I agree that he had some feelings for her. At the least he felt very attached to her.
Dec 18, 2008 11:55 AM

Mar 2008
Defiantly Kaname, this is just my opinion because I think the two make a cute couple. I just don't care for Jun she's just too loud and noisy for my taste.
What you saw at the castle on that windy night ,and what you saw at the bridge last night .. how I smiled, never utter a word to anyone. If you dare speak .. I will find where you are .. And I will kill you. Kill you. I will rip you apart .. crush your bones And eat your flesh.. I will drink your blood. I will .. devour you.

Jan 3, 2009 9:08 AM
Dec 2007
Apparently, Sasada moved away in the manga quite a while back, so any appearances that she's making now in the anime is all filler. Quite a few fans would probably be majorly annoyed if she's made into the primary love interest, in that media. I dislike Sasada as a character, even. I think she's just being kept around for humorous purposes.

Overall, I don't think it's 'that' kind of anime, and romance doesn't really need to a part of it. I certainly think Natsume and Tanuma have something, but it doesn't have to be overtly sexual or anyting. Since it's primarily aimed towards a shoujo demographic, a little shounen-ai wouldn't surprise me. I think Natsume needs to love himself properly, first. Any romance in the series now, with anyone, would seem strangely out of place.
Jan 4, 2009 6:27 AM

Mar 2008
hahahaha i never thought tht Tanuma would be such a popular choice!!
Jan 4, 2009 9:21 AM

Aug 2008
Me either! I'm just glad that I lived to see the day where he tied with None of the above. It's just a matter of time until that next vote comes in!
Jan 4, 2009 11:56 AM

Jun 2008
as long as Sasada isn't winning, i'm happy.
Jan 4, 2009 3:57 PM

Mar 2008
Takai said:
as long as Sasada isn't winning, i'm happy.

yeah she annoys me a tad.
Jan 8, 2009 6:31 AM

Aug 2008
Well... I never thought about romance in this show, but I've just read vol. 5 of the manga and
Jan 8, 2009 7:17 AM

Jun 2008
it looks like that new girl in the opening will be his love interest :O
Jan 8, 2009 8:48 AM
Dec 2007
I've no idea who she is, I'm afraid. :(

Anyone know where one can find scantalations/translations of volume three and up? I know Storm in Heaven have the first two volumes finished.
Jan 9, 2009 9:44 AM

Aug 2007
Natsume will develop an alter ego and falls in love with himself, lol. I wrote a ridiculous thing here. Anyhow, no for Sasada. She's absolutely ... not interesting. I don't think we'll ever find some love in here and if there is, it will be platonic. That's called friendship, and as Natsume isn't really open yet, that's my guess.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How did you find out about Natsume Yuujinchou? ( 1 2 3 )

Tokunaga - Aug 23, 2008

126 by removed-user »»
Jul 24, 2021 4:44 AM

» Where can you find Natsume manga in english?

Rhiannon-Senpai - Aug 23, 2009

3 by Rhiannon-Senpai »»
Dec 28, 2017 11:34 AM

Sticky: » Natsume Yuujinchou Member Cards ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Malediction - Nov 6, 2009

556 by Stormrider »»
Nov 29, 2016 2:32 AM

» More Natsume this fall!!!

AnnaSartin - Mar 21, 2016

2 by Heiko92 »»
Mar 22, 2016 3:31 AM

Poll: » Which season did you prefer?

sugarplumfairy - Mar 31, 2009

29 by YusakuGodai »»
Dec 25, 2013 5:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.