Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you really wanted to like but didn't?

New
Jul 11, 2012 10:16 PM

Jul 2012
I wanted to get into Hitman Reborn but I couldn't stand to watch the first 6 episodes it was so boring I looked at youtube clips of the fights and it looked so interesting but when I got down to watching it I was like WTF

Other animes I've tried to get into was Toriko but I didnt like the style or the story so I dropped and I was ready to like it but I just couldnt the same thing happened with e's otherwise, and Zeta Gundam
Groovy_QJul 11, 2012 10:42 PM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2012 10:19 PM

Nov 2008
Lucky Star.

All my friends at the time liked it, it received a lot of praise, and overall I just really wanted myself to like it. However, no matter how much I wanted to I just couldn't get myself to like it.

Also Marmalade Boy. I'm a fan of Ultra Maniac, which is another, less popular series by the same author. I just didn't like Marmalade Boy, though.
Jul 11, 2012 10:21 PM

Dec 2011
Gintama, Sankarea, FMA
Jul 11, 2012 10:23 PM

Jan 2010
Ponyo. I know the art is awesome and it's Studio Ghibli, but it didn't do much for me. I gave it an 8 since it was well made, but honestly, I couldn't really enjoy the movie until I turned off that voice in my head nagging me about the plot and character actions and whatnot. Dunno, probably should rewatch it in case I missed something.
ShockedJul 11, 2012 10:26 PM
Jul 11, 2012 10:25 PM

Jul 2010
Tvking00 said:
I wanted to get into Hitman Reborn but I couldn't stand to watch the first 6 episodes it was so boring I looked at youtube clips of the fights and it looked so interesting but when I got down to watching it I was like WTF

Other animes I've tried to get into was Toriko but I didnt like the style or the story so I dropped and I was ready to like it but I just could the same thing happened with e's otherwise, and Zeta Gundam

if i remember the first twenty episodes or so of hitman are pure 'fillers' so to say. apparently the creator wanted in to primarily be a comedy in the beginning.

Jul 11, 2012 10:36 PM

Jul 2009
For me, it was Medaka Box. I would guess it's because I'm already caught up with the manga, and I expected to much out of it. The manga is great though. Hopefully, the second season can do the series some justice.
... Even if I'm hated, even if I'm despised, even if I'm useless, I want to prove that I'm better than the main characters! - Misogi Kumagawa; Medaka Box
Jul 11, 2012 10:37 PM

Sep 2011
everything i ever saw that i disliked, why wouldnt i want to like anything i hated, id much prefer having fond memories rather than getting mad at how shit some shows are in hindsight.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 11, 2012 10:40 PM

Jul 2012
Gintama... I've heard so much good stuff about it, but every time I try to watch it I get so bored...
Jul 11, 2012 10:55 PM

Jun 2010
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

goodness gracious.
i'm so in love with the art but its... i don't know... i gave it [and i'm still willing] a LOT of chances already. i've watched the first episode TONS of times but.... T____T maybe you simply aren't for me. i'm not giving up though, hahaha. someday~ maybe someday.
Jul 11, 2012 11:03 PM
Sep 2011
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

As someone who's grown fond of Magical Girl shows I was all over the idea of one being made darker and more serious. I was hoping for something similar to Yu Yu Hakusho, not something a toddler should be watching but not too gritty and dark for teenagers. Maybe with some of Heartcatch Precure's level of action or Lyrical Nanoha's famous beamspam.
Jul 11, 2012 11:06 PM

Feb 2010
A Certain Scientific Railgun. Kuroko sounds like an old woman instead of a cute teen, the fanservice humor is exemplified to the point of becoming serious, and the pacing is very slow for what is presented as a highly-charged action series. Read the manga. Seriously.

Any Shaft anime that isn't SZS or PMMM. Seriously Shinbo, do you know when to stop?

Pale Cocoon. The non-verbal storytelling had nothing to communicate unlike Time of Eve. Unlike Time of Eve, it seems Yoshiura didn't know how to put 1,000 words in a picture yet.
Jul 11, 2012 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
For me it was Baccano!, it just did not "click" with me.
Jul 11, 2012 11:15 PM

Jul 2012
Oh I forgot I also tried to get into Highschool of the dead evrybody was talking about it and I just wanted to see it but the fanservice is ridiculous I couldnt even concentrate on the action the same thing happened with Ikki Tousen.
Jul 11, 2012 11:19 PM

Jan 2012
Durarara, people just love it while I was just bored with the entire show, well, the last couple of episodes were good.
Jul 11, 2012 11:27 PM

Jul 2011
Neane1993 said:
For me it was Baccano!, it just did not "click" with me.

Also true for me. I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't as godly as everyone else made it out to be.

For me:

Ancient Lands of Ys: Come on! The game was so amazing and there was so much to work with, but it turned into a total joke. I could have produced/written a better series. I was really hoping I'd enjoy it as a huge fan of the series, but I really couldn't.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime: Barf. This anime doesn't even come close to the VN. I'd even be hesitant to call it a synopsis or preview for the VN. This really made me sad, as it had a lot of promise with decent animation and sound, but its plot just outright failed. I suffered through this show because I was hoping there would be some redeeming quality and I love Tsukihime so much... However, all it left was a bad taste in my mouth and a bitter disappointment.
VerdaleJul 12, 2012 7:33 AM
Jul 11, 2012 11:30 PM

Feb 2010
Verdale said:

Ancient Lands of Ys: Come on! The game was so amazing and there was so much to work with, but it turned into a total joke. I could have produced/written a better series. I was really hoping I'd enjoy it as a huge fan of the series, but I really couldn't.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime: Barf. This anime doesn't even come close to the VN. I'd even be hesitant to call it a synopsis or preview for the VN. This really made me sad, as it had a lot of promise with decent animation and sound, but its plot just outright failed. I suffered through this show because I was hoping there would be some redeeming quality and I love Tsukihime so much... However, all it left was a bad taste in my mouth and a bitter disappointment.

You left a big space after Ancient Land of Ys. I don't see anything.
Jul 11, 2012 11:34 PM

Jan 2010
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Verdale said:

His sig is right there though.

Also, adding Ano Hana. I can't say I didn't like it, but it didn't really seem all there.
ShockedJul 11, 2012 11:43 PM
Jul 11, 2012 11:42 PM

Nov 2011
Fate/Stay Night

I heard really good things about it and it was really hyped up a few years back but when I watched it I just couldn't stand the MC at all. Literally from the beginning to the end the MC(Shirou) just ticked me off and well if you can't really like the MC that's trouble...

Clannad(First season)

Again another really popular anime that I had heard about and good things to so gave it a shot. A few episodes in it honestly felt like another generic school setting harem to me and just felt that way throughout the whole first season. It wasn't necessarily bad but it didn't wow me at all. I eventually just dragged my feet through it to move onto After Story which was fantastic. First season not so much for me.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 11, 2012 11:56 PM
Jul 2018
Romeo's Blue Skies. Even a few weeks after finishing it, I can't really critically fault much of it. I just found it boring :/

Twelve Kingdoms - Loved the first 13 episodes, after that I lost interest because the plot progression was replaced by endless exposition.
Jul 11, 2012 11:57 PM

May 2008
Kind of redundant with this thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=325029

But for me, Genius Party Beyond's Dimension Bomb. Nostromo’s excellent ‘Binary Overdrive’ AMV used the short and made it seem like a remarkable watch:

But I ended up finding the AMV far more flavorful than the actual source. Terribly boring.

Also the Haruhi movie. Used to be the first or second top rated title here for a while (and it’s still holding on to #7) so I thought there was something special there. But it’s even more overrated than the series.

Finally, Kara no Kyoukai 7. The top review here dubbed this final movie as "saving the best till last". But KnK 7 was probably the longest pile of nothing that I have ever seen. How do you people find anything in this endlessly slow nothing?
Jul 12, 2012 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
KNK Murder Speculation didn't need to be 2 movies. 3 hours was a bit much. I still liked it though.
Jul 12, 2012 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
FauxAzn said:

Also the Haruhi movie. Used to be the first or second top rated title here for a while (and it’s still holding on to #7) so I thought there was something special there. But it’s even more overrated than the series.

Seconding this with a passion. I see no reason why so many people say "OH MY GODZ, TEH BEST ANIME FILM OF ALL TIMEZ."
Jul 12, 2012 12:02 AM
May 2008
Ghost In The Shell
Jul 12, 2012 12:16 AM

Jun 2009
Neane1993 said:
FauxAzn said:

Seconding this with a passion. I see no reason why so many people say "OH MY GODZ, TEH BEST ANIME FILM OF ALL TIMEZ."

Personally, I liked it a lot because it put into perspective how much the SOS brigade means to Kyon and it developed him and Nagato a great deal, among other reasons. But, if you don't like the characters I'm sure you wouldn't go for the film. And, no, I don't think it's the greatest anime film of all time. Simply, because I haven't watched near enough to claim so and second because End of Evangelion is my favorite movie.

As for the topic, the first Fullmetal Alchemist adaptation. It was really good for the first half, but the second half was a mess to be quite frank. FMA Brotherhood was a much, much better experience, though it had a few of it's own problems that I won't get into here. For the record, I still enjoyed FMA 2003 I just didn't love it like I wanted/expected to.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 12, 2012 12:24 AM

Apr 2012
To aru Majutsu no Index, the whole idea of having super cool powers is great and nicely blended to the setting, but the fact that the main character (Toma) is the only important character with a crap power really doesn't do it for me, especially when he needs to be protected by girls -.-

There are some moments where his crap power (don't wanna spoil anything) is actually somewhat useful, but when you compare that with teleporting, shooting electricity, lasers etc. it makes it not even worth the effort of making Toma look cool.
Jul 12, 2012 12:30 AM

Jul 2012
Hitman reborn

Actually I think the episodes I like in hitman reborn is the episode 1-20 after watching this anime to 100 episode. ( At first I can't stand episode 1-20 but now different)
Actually hitman reborn is a comedy at first, but then the writer change it. I think the plot is boring in the flowing episode(uhm...possibly from episode 50 or 60?)
I should say characters are good(this is the reason why a lot of people like it), but otherwise it didn't do very well, like the plot. (I liked it when I first saw it, but now...)
Jul 12, 2012 12:47 AM

Jun 2011
Cowboy Bebop. People seem to treat it like it's the messiah of all anime, but I just don't feel it. It's on-hold at Episode 13 on my list, and I just can't get myself to continue watching it.
Jul 12, 2012 2:33 AM

Feb 2012
FLCL
Got to be the most badly drawn anime ever made and the story is tasteless and make no sense.
Jul 12, 2012 2:51 AM
Nov 2011
Renkachi said:
Ghost In The Shell
Lol, you have Bleach and Blood+ in your favorites. I can understand you dislike to GiTS.

As for the topic, I really want to "enjoy" most anime but I can't. Maybe my standards are too high. To name some, I really wanted to enjoy Aria, Highschool of the Dead, Elfen Lied and Fate/Stay Night but somehow, I didn't.
Jul 12, 2012 3:09 AM

May 2012
Jenii said:
Cowboy Bebop. People seem to treat it like it's the messiah of all anime, but I just don't feel it. It's on-hold at Episode 13 on my list, and I just can't get myself to continue watching it.

This exactly. I don't get how people can say it was better than Samurai Champloo. And also Welcome to the NHK. I dropped it.
Jul 12, 2012 3:21 AM

Jul 2012
Neane1993 said:
FauxAzn said:

Maybe because of the beautiful animation. Or outstanding character development. Or well-pieced together story. You know, the things that a lot of anime movies don't have? Like someone else said; if you don't like the characters you won't like the movie. Such a shame.

For me, it's Mirai Nikki (TV). So many people go on about how Yuno is the queen of yanderes and how exciting and cool the story is. Yuno may be a good yandere but that's the only good thing she can do - which itself is a contradiction since her being a yandere makes her an annoying, persistent, and repetitive bitch. No, not all yanderes are like this, it's just her yandere personality makes her unlikeable and just flat out annoying. I'd rather some half-assed yandere (or even yangire) take the throne like Shion Sonozaki (although hers isn't half-assed) or someone. Yuno being the "yandere queen" like people hype about makes it look like all yanderes are this idiotic and robotic. It's like saying Louise is the tsundere queen - overhype the worst example of the character type because she's cute and popular. No. I just can't explain my in depth hate for her.

How do you enjoy a story that doesn't even know what direction it's going in. If I hadn't read the manga I'd be at a loss of interest and probably have it on-hold at 4 episodes (episodes I'd seen before reading the manga) for at least half a year.
ihateeveryoneJul 12, 2012 3:27 AM
Jul 12, 2012 3:28 AM

Dec 2009
Ookami Kakushi and Kill me Baby comes to mind.
Jul 12, 2012 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
Jenii said:

Despite the fact that it wasn't a gateway anime for me, and isn't really my cup of tea in many ways, I still managed to enjoy it. It will never be in my favorites, and the big thing is that it doesn't mean anything to me. It's just an anime that happens to be a gateway for many and has some really great characters. I lack of lot of context for when it was made, what came before and after, but in the end... it is what it is.

Good? Yes. But I've never felt it's as good as a lot of people say it is.
insan3soldiern said:
because End of Evangelion is my favorite movie.

End of Evangelion is my favorite series-related movie, I think my favorite stand-alone anime movie would either be Mind Game or The Girl Who Lept Though Time.
Jul 12, 2012 5:53 AM
Jul 2018
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei - I had high hopes for this anime, but I just... didn't find it funny. The humor just felt.. stale?

Kaiba - From the director of Tatami Galaxy, I was super excited for this one. It just didn't appeal to me in the end.
Jul 12, 2012 6:39 AM

Mar 2012
Katanagatari

Really good story and characters; but the almost 1 hour of talking every episode made it so goddamn boring
Jul 12, 2012 6:51 AM

Sep 2011
Elfen Lied.

I don't think it lived up to it's praise. Second episode onwards was a disaster. I really wanted to enjoy it though, before watching it I was quite intrigued by it.
Jul 12, 2012 6:57 AM
Jul 2012
Pretty much every "major" anime of 2011-2012 except Steins;Gate. Stuff that are extremely overrated on the rankings like F/Z, but do not come even close of deserving such a high ranking.

Other than that, Noein.
Jul 12, 2012 6:57 AM

Jan 2012
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Cardfight Vanguard
TTGL
Jul 12, 2012 6:59 AM

Oct 2011
Tatami Galaxy - I can understand why people may like it, but for me it was boring, been there done that

Legend of Galactic Heroes - I admit I didn't finish it or go too far, but watching more than 100 episodes is too much for me, also watched/read too many space operas in my time

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - I love books, but I wasn't able to enjoy too much of series (voices felt off for me)

Kobato - looks like my ideal series, calm with slow tempo but knowing what CLAMP is capable of and bit retarded main character (she acts too silly for me) makes it not as great as it could be
Dalek-bakaJul 12, 2012 7:05 AM
Jul 12, 2012 7:01 AM

Nov 2009
Rental Magica...

I love magic in anime especially with some moe characters involved but I have tried on 2 separate occasions to get into this and I just can't do it. I get so woefully bored that I can't help but drop it.
Jul 12, 2012 7:32 AM

Mar 2012
Chihayafuru - I REALLY wanted to like this anime, I REALLY did...and I kinda did the first half...but it just dragged out toward the 2nd half and it didn't feel like a whole lot happened. On top of that, the character development was severely lacking. This anime practically HIGHLIGHTED Chihaya, Arata, and Taichi and it seemed to develop side characters like Kanada, Nishida, and HELL, even Yumi freaking Yamamoto got more character development than these three and she's probably THE most unlikeable character in this anime.

Fate/Zero - Here come the chorus of boos. I really didn't like this anime that much and I really wanted to. Of note, no, I have not read any of the visual novels or played the games or anything. I have only seen Fate/Stay Night before this. When I heard about a prequel, I was pretty excited because even though it seems like a lot of Fate fans hated it, I liked Fate/Stay Night. When I was finished with Fate/Zero, I was kinda disappointed. It wasn't because of the inconsistencies between the two anime series so much (which was understandable since Fate/Zero stayed truer to the original story), it was just that this anime felt kinda hollow. The characters weren't particularly likable (which I guess should be understandable since they are all fighting to the death). Outside of Waver, it seemed like all the characters had the personality of a cardboard box, which I don't particularly enjoy all that much. Another poster said "Fate/Zero seemed to lack a soul" which is EXACTLY how I felt about it.
Jul 12, 2012 7:35 AM

Jul 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:

Huh? That's odd. Looks fine on my end. I edited it, maybe that will fix it.
Jul 12, 2012 8:10 AM

Oct 2008
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia, Beelzebub, Nurarihyon no Mago, Soul Eater.
Jul 12, 2012 8:22 AM

Jul 2012
Heroic Age, I enjoyed the fights with Age but every 5 minutes the anime would change to a talking scene ( felt like it to me aynway) which kind of made it feel drawn out and a bit boring.

And seikon no qwaser....felt like this anime was trying to empathise how important boobs are.
Jul 12, 2012 8:28 AM

Jul 2010
bakemonogatari
Jul 12, 2012 8:37 AM

Jan 2012
Kuroshitsuji and Ouran.
---
Jul 12, 2012 8:45 AM

Jun 2011
cbxsn said:
bakemonogatari

Totally agreed with that. I'm stuck at episode 5 and can't get myself to watch the rest of it. It feels slow, and it's more boring than interesting.
Jul 12, 2012 8:47 AM

Jul 2012
One Piece!
I dropped it after episode 49.
Jul 12, 2012 9:49 AM

Mar 2012
soul eater.
the story sounded kinda good, and some of my friends were also praising it highly, but i just couldnt stand the art and had to drop it after a few episodes.
Jul 12, 2012 10:06 AM

Oct 2011
Moretsu Pirates - I'm sorry people who liked it,but just...so....BORING to me.I guess One Piece ruined my chance to like something as relaxed as this.At least some fanservice would have entertained me.
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere - Looked interesting,but was very....meh.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

36 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

85 by Satyr_icon »»
31 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

44 by Kruszer »»
32 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

94 by phantomic109 »»
34 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

121 by FFandMMfan »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.