MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Time for a re-watch?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Bleach »» Time for a re-watch?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
07-08-12, 10:31 PM

As the title states. It's been a while since the Bleach anime "paused".

I was listening to some OST's and realized how there is an empty void left in my soul that was previously filled by Bleach.

I'm definitely re-watching at least the entire SS arc again. Who else thinks it's about time to re-live and feel the nostalgia of the early Bleach?

(Will definitely start sometime this week or the next)

07-09-12, 3:00 AM

I've already re-watched it a couple of times before but not after it ended, after it ended I decided to watch an episode or 2 aday, so that I could read all the new chapters after a year or so, well it was harder than I expected, yesterday I finished all of the 20 new chapters, Bleach is doing great I'd say after the FB arc.

Bleach's adaptation (excluding the first 2 big fillers, Bount & Amagami, and the range between 110 & 167) is with no doubt probably the best between the 3 big shounen imo. Animation, artwork, character designs, BGM, OPs & EDs and especially the pace maintain their quality during the canon arcs. I don't remember how many times I've suffered with OP's & Naruto's bad artwork and pace at some points, but I never did with Bleach, therefore I think Bleach has a high re-watch value, it can be re-watched over and over again, of course that's if you enjoyed it the first time.
By re-watching (from an objective way) I realized it has the same problems OP & Naruto have, the pace especially, that's why people tend to avoid these shows actually.
Modified by Candor, 07-17-12, 12:43 PM
<-- Derailer

07-09-12, 3:07 AM

Candor said:
I've already re-watched it a couple of times before but not after it ended, after it ended I decided to watch an episode or 2 aday, so that I could read all the new chapters after a year or so, well it was harder than I expected, yesterday I finished all of the 20 new chapters, Bleach is doing great I'd say after the FB arc.

Bleach's adaptation (excluding the first 2 big fillers, Bount & Amagami, and the range between 110 & 167) is with no doubt the best between the 3 big shounen, animation, artwork, character designs, BGM, OPs & EDs and especially the pace maintain their quality during the canon arcs. I don't remember how many times I've suffered with OP's & Naruto's bad artwork and pace at some points, but I never did with Bleach, therefore I think Bleach has a high re-watch value, it can be re-watched over and over again, of course that's if you enjoyed it the first time.

Eh Arrancar is probably the most painful shounen arc i've watched. Doing some episodes then switching to filler then some more then back to filler for pretty much the entire arc was grueling. At least for the most part the other 2 keeps the filler in between arcs from what i remember.

Myanimelist is just a crappy game.

07-09-12, 3:23 AM

King_jpem_II said:
Candor said:

Bleach's adaptation (excluding the first 2 big fillers, Bount & Amagami, and the range between 110 & 167) is with no doubt the best between the 3 big shounen, animation, artwork, character designs, BGM, OPs & EDs and especially the pace maintain their quality during the canon arcs. I don't remember how many times I've suffered with OP's & Naruto's bad artwork and pace at some points, but I never did with Bleach, therefore I think Bleach has a high re-watch value, it can be re-watched over and over again, of course that's if you enjoyed it the first time.

Eh Arrancar is probably the most painful shounen arc i've watched. Doing some episodes then switching to filler then some more then back to filler for pretty much the entire arc was grueling. At least for the most part the other 2 keeps the filler in between arcs from what i remember.
As I said 'excluding the the range between 110 & 167', they were horrible for me too (when I re-watched them), that's probably because it was getting close to the manga, but I've never suffered from pace/artwork problems in any other arc. Naruto has mainly its re-caps/Flashbacks problem, that's getting too annoying, not to mention the bad animation at some points, do I even need to talk about it ? One Piece had also the worst pace I've ever seen in any anime, and the animation was at its worst at some of the best moments, for example *Spoiler*the goodbye-(their ship) arc*Spoiler*, it's not that I didn't enjoy it though. Bleach between ep.190 and 366 had great animation and pace (pace was also great in the first 63 episodes), I don't remember facing any bad-artwork or bad-pace problems. Anyway I'm talking about re-watching here and the re-watch value, although I've enjoyed (to some point) One Piece and Naruto I'd never re-watch them, maybe I'd read the manga but not re-watch the anime. But well if you didn't enjoy Bleach (or any other show) the first time you probably wouldn't want to re-watch it.
Modified by Candor, 07-09-12, 3:45 AM
<-- Derailer

07-09-12, 3:27 AM
Forum Moderator
I'll probably re-watch it soon to. Seen it two or three times already(Would stop with the fillers and start over to refresh it in my head.) so might do it again but who knows when. Honestly it is a decent watch and it has like someone said a good re-watch value. It's just with all those God awful fillers that just BLEH. The one Zanpaketou one where we get to see all the swords' "True form" was really good though. Probably the only filler arc I liked. The rest just were painful to watch.(Especially the bount arc.)

When I go back to re-watch it again just going to skip all the fillers and enjoy myself.
Now that it is complete I can just skip over those fillers like the random fillers in the arrancar arc and enjoy it all.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Site & Forum Guidelines | MAL Guidelines | Report Abuse

07-09-12, 11:09 AM

Already started, I couldn't wait ^^

Just finished episodes 1 and 2 and I can say, it is even better for me this time around.

It's definitely the nostalgia, the full 20 minutes of content, and the fact that I know all the characters before hand. Especially Ichigo and Rukia; those idiots ^^. It's so much better like this, I feel like I'm cheating lol.
--

I'd say One Piece still did a better job with it's anime overall. It all comes down to personal preference in the end though. I like Bleach more and have it on my favourites, yet I can outright admit OP is the superior-done anime and has more variety of impacting OST, (they freaking played Mozart in the Luffy VS Crocodile lol). Not to say Bleach doesn't have it's share of amazing soundtracks, I just feel OP had more. Both are unique in their own way though, one takes place on the seas/islands/travel/powers/DF, while the other in a town/school/spirit world/swords/Zanpakuto setting.
Modified by -Shuda-, 07-09-12, 11:23 AM

07-09-12, 11:13 AM

I didn't rewatch it. But i on episode 290 and about to watch it.
Espadas will always be the best!

07-09-12, 11:15 AM

The first 64 episodes would probably worth a rewatch. They were good and the nostalgia should add even more charm to it. Everything after that? lol no.

07-09-12, 12:25 PM

I'd probably enjoy rewatching the first few arcs since it was those early Bleach episodes that got me into anime in the first place, but I could never rewatch anything that came after the SS arc.

07-09-12, 12:36 PM

-Shuda- said:
I'd say One Piece still did a better job with it's anime overall. It all comes down to personal preference in the end though. I like Bleach more and have it on my favourites, yet I can outright admit OP is the superior-done anime and has more variety of impacting OST, (they freaking played Mozart in the Luffy VS Crocodile lol). Not to say Bleach doesn't have it's share of amazing soundtracks, I just feel OP had more. Both are unique in their own way though, one takes place on the seas/islands/travel/powers/DF, while the other in a town/school/spirit world/swords/Zanpakuto setting.
Although I've enjoyed OP, it still it has some pacing problems, and some artwork problems, some might say it's better than fillers, well in OP especially it's better I agree, but Toei could do a better job, considering how famous OP is. Anyway it's probably as you said personal preferences.
<-- Derailer

07-10-12, 9:48 PM

Candor said:
King_jpem_II said:
Candor said:

As I said 'excluding the the range between 110 & 167', they were horrible for me too (when I re-watched them), that's probably because it was getting close to the manga, but I've never suffered from pace/artwork problems in any other arc. Naruto has mainly its re-caps/Flashbacks problem, that's getting too annoying, not to mention the bad animation at some points, do I even need to talk about it ? One Piece had also the worst pace I've ever seen in any anime, and the animation was at its worst at some of the best moments, for example *Spoiler*the goodbye-(their ship) arc*Spoiler*, it's not that I didn't enjoy it though. Bleach between ep.190 and 366 had great animation and pace (pace was also great in the first 63 episodes), I don't remember facing any bad-artwork or bad-pace problems. Anyway I'm talking about re-watching here and the re-watch value, although I've enjoyed (to some point) One Piece and Naruto I'd never re-watch them, maybe I'd read the manga but not re-watch the anime. But well if you didn't enjoy Bleach (or any other show) the first time you probably wouldn't want to re-watch it.

I have rewatched Bleach two times, one time like a week before the last episode. But those fillers, i checked on the wikia and around 157 episodes are fillers that is almost half of the anime, that's not good pacing.
And you do realize those filler episodes that you say are horrible are part of the pacing. 157 filler episodes in like 5 big filler arcs that take place inside of another arc( also the fact that the bount arc is basically a copy of yu yu hakusho's second arc tailored to fit bleach). Did you watch it as it was airing? Whenever it started to get good they would take a filler break for like 6 months. One piece on the other hand has around 80 filler episodes which is about half of bleach's even though it's has 190 episodes more and it puts only like maybe 10 filler episodes max at the end of each arc usually only like 3 episodes, so who really has pacing issues?
And Bleach does have good artwork, but I don't really find OP artwork ever lacking, or not ever enough to affect my watching experience. I believe that the first 63 episodes were probably the best of the anime, The music is great i still listen to it, The characters were pretty good except everybody in the main group besides kurosaki was weak. It is a good show I will probably watch it again and am hoping that one day they might continue, but really what was up with everybody losing their powers multiple times.

07-11-12, 3:41 AM

IntroverTurtle said:
Candor said:
King_jpem_II said:
Candor said:

I have rewatched Bleach two times, one time like a week before the last episode. But those fillers, i checked on the wikia and around 157 episodes are fillers that is almost half of the anime, that's not good pacing.
And you do realize those filler episodes that you say are horrible are part of the pacing. 157 filler episodes in like 5 big filler arcs that take place inside of another arc( also the fact that the bount arc is basically a copy of yu yu hakusho's second arc tailored to fit bleach). Did you watch it as it was airing? Whenever it started to get good they would take a filler break for like 6 months. One piece on the other hand has around 80 filler episodes which is about half of bleach's even though it's has 190 episodes more and it puts only like maybe 10 filler episodes max at the end of each arc usually only like 3 episodes, so who really has pacing issues?
And Bleach does have good artwork, but I don't really find OP artwork ever lacking, or not ever enough to affect my watching experience. I believe that the first 63 episodes were probably the best of the anime, The music is great i still listen to it, The characters were pretty good except everybody in the main group besides kurosaki was weak. It is a good show I will probably watch it again and am hoping that one day they might continue, but really what was up with everybody losing their powers multiple times.
At least when you want to re-watch Bleach you won't have to watch 500 episodes. 157 filler episodes that means there's about 209 canon episodes, for me 209 well-paced canon episodes are better than 555 dragged out episodes. I started Bleach when the Zanpakuto arc was airing, so I haven't really suffered much while watching it, but by re-watching I could say the Bount, half of the episodes between 110 & 167, the artwork of the Amagami Taicho were the worst parts of the adaptation, otherwise I don't remember having any troubles with it, I'm on my way in watching Bleach to see where it went wrong, but I could say that range between 64 and 190 is the reason alot of people dropped Bleach.

about OP: I'm not really enjoying the adaptation that much, each arc is getting too dragged out, except for the Marineford arc. I can tell the promise OP shows as the best of the big 3, but that's because of the story not because of the adaptation, it's probably due to the 1ch.=1ep. pace. I'm enjoying the manga more so I'm considering continuing with the manga from now on.

Anyway it's probably personal preferences, as Shuda said.
<-- Derailer

07-11-12, 5:25 AM

No, find a good anime to watch instead.

07-11-12, 10:54 AM

Candor said:
At least when you want to re-watch Bleach you won't have to watch 500 episodes. 157 filler episodes that means there's about 209 canon episodes, for me 209 well-paced canon episodes are better than 555 dragged out episodes. I started Bleach when the Zanpakuto arc was airing, so I haven't really suffered much while watching it, but by re-watching I could say the Bount, half of the episodes between 110 & 167, the artwork of the Amagami Taicho were the worst parts of the adaptation, otherwise I don't remember having any troubles with it, I'm on my way in watching Bleach to see where it went wrong, but I could say that range between 64 and 190 is the reason alot of people dropped Bleach.

about OP: I'm not really enjoying the adaptation that much, each arc is getting too dragged out, except for the Marineford arc. I can tell the promise OP shows as the best of the big 3, but that's because of the story not because of the adaptation, it's probably due to the 1ch.=1ep. pace. I'm enjoying the manga more so I'm considering continuing with the manga from now on.

Anyway it's probably personal preferences, as Shuda said.

Well then it's about episode preferences because 555 well paced episodes seems way better than 366 crappy paces episodes, I don't consider a show good if i have to skip half of it for it to be good. I watched it since episode 112. If what you say about one piece is true about the 1chap= 1ep thing, then that's a good thing because they have never really caught up so we don't get bombarded with crappy fillers, And the story doesn't seem dragged out to me.

07-13-12, 1:50 PM

Klonoa79H said:
No, find a good anime to watch instead.

This.

07-13-12, 3:20 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
Well then it's about episode preferences because 555 well paced episodes seems way better than 366 crappy paces episodes, I don't consider a show good if i have to skip half of it for it to be good. I watched it since episode 112. If what you say about one piece is true about the 1chap= 1ep thing, then that's a good thing because they have never really caught up so we don't get bombarded with crappy fillers, And the story doesn't seem dragged out to me.
A chapter of One Piece's manga has more stuff in it than a chapter of Bleach, Bleach's manga has a horrible pace, that's for sure, although the action is better in Bleach imo, but at some points in OP's anime the episodes feels dragged out, like nothing happening at all, but that's probably because I didn't get into OP's anime that much in the first place, the same way people watch Bleach without getting into it that much (and start nagging for months or years about how horrible Bleach is). The difference is that One Piece has a better story than Bleach, but I still think Toei could do a better job on it considering how famous OP is, the artwork were horrible as I said in some of the best parts in the story, it's getting better recently (although the pace is still horrible, for me at least), but it still had some of its bad times, but now that I think about it, all 3 adaptations had gone through horrible times, actually that's why lots of people tend to avoid them .
<-- Derailer

07-13-12, 3:52 PM

Candor said:
IntroverTurtle said:
A chapter of One Piece's manga has more stuff in it than a chapter of Bleach, Bleach's manga has a horrible pace, that's for sure, although the action is better in Bleach imo, but at some points in OP's anime the episodes feels dragged out, like nothing happening at all, but that's probably because I didn't get into OP's anime that much in the first place, the same way people watch Bleach without getting into it that much (and start nagging for months or years about how horrible Bleach is). The difference is that One Piece has a better story than Bleach, but I still think Toei could do a better job on it considering how famous OP is, the artwork were horrible as I said in some of the best parts in the story, it's getting better recently (although the pace is still horrible, for me at least), but it still had some of its bad times, but now that I think about it, all 3 adaptations had gone through horrible times, actually that's why lots of people tend to avoid them .

I believe that story affects the fighting, in bleach most of the time he doesn't want to fight the person or talks to them while they are fighting, you know about their objectives and their reasons and tries to convince them that their wrong. And my favorite the "you are so strong so why are you fighting for him" line or the "I have already beaten you stop trying to get up line". While in one piece it is he did something to me or my nakama i am going to kick his ass which is more simple but it makes more sense to me, and it is a more shoot first ask questions later type of anime. And you can get into it more if the main character has a set goal in a fight which bleach usually never has, he has one when he fights byakuya for rukia in the first arc and a couple of other times like the last battle with aizen and Kujo. However when he fights zaraki, kariya which is a filler but i'm still going to say it because they tried to make ichigo grow as a character in that arc, and Grimjow, nnoitra, and that first dancing ex espada dude, and gin it takes him forever to get serious.

07-13-12, 5:12 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
I believe that story affects the fighting, in bleach most of the time he doesn't want to fight the person or talks to them while they are fighting, you know about their objectives and their reasons and tries to convince them that their wrong. And my favorite the "you are so strong so why are you fighting for him" line or the "I have already beaten you stop trying to get up line". While in one piece it is he did something to me or my nakama i am going to kick his ass which is more simple but it makes more sense to me, and it is a more shoot first ask questions later type of anime. And you can get into it more if the main character has a set goal in a fight which bleach usually never has, he has one when he fights byakuya for rukia in the first arc and a couple of other times like the last battle with aizen and Kujo. However when he fights zaraki, kariya which is a filler but i'm still going to say it because they tried to make ichigo grow as a character in that arc, and Grimjow, nnoitra, and that first dancing ex espada dude, and gin it takes him forever to get serious.
I enjoy watching/playing sword-based Anime/Games most of the time, so I think that's a plus for me for enjoying Bleach, and I enjoy historical themes also, another plus for Bleach and OP (the Void).

Some of the fights in Bleach are like Grimmjow said when he asked Ichigo for his reason for fighting, they simply thirst for fighting, like Zaraki or Nnoitora for example, which portraits some of the people of the old times, they simply fight for the sake of fighting and showing who's more powerful, basically conflict, that's a human-trait that remains until our time, but at some other points the reason is simply like any other shounen, protecting nakama, countries, lovers or revenge, benefits..etc. One of the best conflicts in Bleach imo are the scientific conflicts with Mayuri (vs Apollo or Kageroza).

On the other hand One Piece deals with large-scale supernatural stuff, every arc has something like this, which is really interesting, but it lacks abit when it comes to action, unless Luffy is fighting (Luffy vs Lucci was the best fight in OP imo). I think Oda concentrates on creating lands and the story which are the best things in OP, Oda is really creative when it comes to these stuff, he's also creative when it comes to powers (the robot in the end of Fish-men arc was amazing), but there's a lack of action imo, but the story and Oda's creativity makes up for it I guess.
<-- Derailer

07-13-12, 6:01 PM

Candor said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I enjoy watching/playing sword-based Anime/Games most of the time, so I think that's a plus for me for enjoying Bleach, and I enjoy historical themes also, another plus for Bleach and OP (the Void).

Some of the fights in Bleach are like Grimmjow said when he asked Ichigo for his reason for fighting, they simply thirst for fighting, like Zaraki or Nnoitora for example, which portraits some of the people of the old times, they simply fight for the sake of fighting and showing who's more powerful, basically conflict, that's a human-trait that remains until our time, but at some other points the reason is simply like any other shounen, protecting nakama, countries, lovers or revenge, benefits..etc. One of the best conflicts in Bleach imo are the scientific conflicts with Mayuri (vs Apollo or Kageroza).

On the other hand One Piece deals with large-scale supernatural stuff, every arc has something like this, which is really interesting, but it lacks abit when it comes to action, unless Luffy is fighting (Luffy vs Lucci was the best fight in OP imo). I think Oda concentrates on creating lands and the story which are the best things in OP, Oda is really creative when it comes to these stuff, he's also creative when it comes to powers (the robot in the end of Fish-men arc was amazing), but there's a lack of action imo, but the story and Oda's creativity makes up for it I guess.

I also enjoy sword based anime/games, but i feel like almost none of bleach is about swordsmanship, they might as well be using magic wands because it is usually about their abilities that come with the sword not their actual sword, and half the time it turns into something that isn't even a sword, or something that you do not need any physical strength or skill to use.

Yeah but it took Ichigo halfway through the series to learn that he also at least partly thirsts to fight with them and by then he only had like 3 fights until the end of the anime. Kurotsuchi's fights are close to being my favorite fights. But I feel like without a good story fights are just fights, when i first started watching the 3 shounens I actually liked bleach and naruto more because their fights were cooler and one piece didn't really have a universal power like chakra or reiatsu. But i think that with a good story it can make an ok fight a great fight, and learning that oda had hidden haki made the story great, It put an importance on learning martial arts and using swords not just using a power, and it helped out with luffy because he had hit a wall with logias no matter how fast or how strong he was a logia could just use their power and he would be powerless. Oda is not afraid to make all those beautiful islands, animals, and take those risks with the story, I was blown away when I figured out that they had hidden haki the whole series but it had been used by shanks and on sky island, and then slowly put in by luffy using it then learning the name then luffy using it some more and then being told all about how it works. But the bleach world is confusing, someone can lose their powers multiple times supposedly permanently and then come back stronger. Oda loved dragon ball and used it as a reference when making one piece, he took out the things that he didn't like, like long training arcs and meaningless power ups, he made the main character a little stupid but never wishy washy with his attitude and always stands up for what he likes. And Ichigo's character is very wishy washy throughout the whole series, never really knowing what he wanted to do.

07-14-12, 2:35 PM

There are some decent sword fights, although not about swordmanship and these stuff but they're still decent, and them having special powers is also interesting, it actually keeps the excitement for new Shikai or Bankai that's coming later, for example Urahara, Shinsui (the Bankai that should never be revealed, at least in fake Karakura), Ukitake, Yama-ji, and some other new captains and the royal guard when they're introduced.

Haki is really great, the way they revealed it also is great, I'm looking forward to see how things are gonna develop with this power, especially now that Coby has it, and actually I like where One Piece is heading generally, although there are some arcs I didn't like or didn't get into (Skypiea saga, Alabasta saga, Fishmen arc) but seriously I like where it's heading, unlike Naruto, I'm not liking the war arc, and I actually didn't get into the world of naruto in the first place, but interested to see where it's heading and how it's ending.

I like where Bleach is heading too but I hope Kubo won't ruin it, and about the power losses and gaining them back it's pretty simple actually, there's nothing much to think about:
Ishida's power was immature, he may have learned them wrong or something, he lost his immature powers but then got his own full power with full potential, they're teachings after-all.
Ichigo's powers came back by giving him a huge amount of Reiatsu even greater than his old one (that explains why he got stronger), they are a combination of the captain's Reiatsus, he got them back the same way he got them in the first episode, the difference is that in the beginning he had some Reiatsu, but in FB arc he gained Reiatsu by turning into a Full-bringer that was hidden inside him or his Compass (can't remember exactly), I guess that'd make sense if

That's typical shounen for you, even in other matters like sudden power-ups or Ichigo going back to life by Orihime's godly-like powers, they're too simple that you think they're mysteries, but they're not.
Modified by Candor, 07-14-12, 3:09 PM
<-- Derailer

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices