MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

New Sailor Moon Anime Due in Summer 2013
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» New Sailor Moon Anime Due in Summer 2013

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
Pages (17) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
02-27-13, 2:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Solvite said:

It would be like Rebooting the Harry Potter movies because they didn't follow the movies to the letter, and then pocketing a ton of money.


Harry Potter did an amazing job of being as close to the books as reasonably possible. When talking about the deviation from original creation, Sailor Moon manga -> anime is a huge jump in tone, style, format, pacing; pretty much everything. Harry Potter's deviation is so minimal in scale it's really irrelevant.

Solvite said:
I'd rather see a reboot to a bad anime series than a reboot to Sailor Moon, knowing full well that it will make money just because it's Sailor Moon.


I'm sorry but if a production company can't prove they're going to make money with whatever they make/remake, it's just not going to happen. Say there's some obscure manga you loved but they made a crap anime? Or even something reasonably popular, but without a worldwide millions-strong fanbase. It will never be remade unless the manga hits the big time. It's the same anywhere in the world because making money is universal.

Bad adaptations happen. Book -> Movie, Book -> TV, Comic -> Movie, Manga -> Anime, you name it. Only the very rare ones that seriously flopped (and HP is lightyears away from a flop, lol) but that possess substantial broad appeal get remade, and only by rich, powerful companies that can afford the risk and absorb potential losses. (The Hulk being a recent example.)

Sailor Moon is a great series, I grew up on it and loved it to death. But it's a far cry from the manga, and was morphed into a "monster a week" show, which greatly diminished the overarching plotlines in favor of having some new baddie to beat/purify each week. It just followed the pattern for its era, and I certainly am not saying that it is not still an influential piece of Japanese animation history, because it definitely is.

That being said, it's old. The artwork looks old and dated, and when I went to watch it again a few years ago I kept an episode guide open so I could skip the pointless filler - there's a lot. Is it a way to make more money? Well, yeah. But there are a lot of people who are incredibly excited (myself included) to see updated artwork, and hopefully a stronger emphasis on plot, in the best case scenario following the manga as faithfully as possible. Remaking something like Sailor Moon makes sense in a lot of ways, not only to capture a whole new generation of fans, but also because technology has greatly changed in the last 20 years. Animation techniques, artwork, music, audio and video quality (SM in 720p/1080p? Yes!) have all greatly changed, along with the place that anime has in greater popular culture not only in Japan but in the rest of the world. An updated reboot is a great idea IMO.

I think it's a little harsh to chastise a business for wanting to make money. If finances weren't a motivation I'd question the ones who made that business decision, lol. This remake is coming 20 years later, and I doubt they're gonna start pulling out new ones every few years (Hollywood, I'm looking at you). They're trying to re-engage the old fans (people like me) and capture new ones (people who weren't even born, lol). Yes, it's a business tactic, but one I won't fault them for. To be honest, if someone said they wanted to remake something like.. Bleach? I'd be like, huh? That just ended last year, are you serious? Because then it would be patently obvious that they're only doing it for the money. There is no new audience, there is no significant update to art styles or animation technology, there is nothing better in HD audio or video, and with the exception of "filler arcs" it follows the manga faithfully. But to remake a classic 20 years after it aired? I find it totally acceptable, though you're within your right to disagree. I just feel that the perception that they're only milking a cash cow is overblown in this particular case.

The reality is that if we all get a shiny new Sailor Moon anime, who cares if they're making tons of money for it? If they please the audience, and grow it, then don't we all benefit?

TL;DR Sailor Moon reboot is a great idea. :]
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
 
02-27-13, 9:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2795
fuk sailor moon dbz needs new anime 2
 
02-27-13, 9:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1504
MarineSlate said:
fuk sailor moon dbz needs new anime 2


This post is full of fail, on multiple levels.
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
 
02-27-13, 9:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1452
veluriel said:


TL;DR

(because quoting huge chunks of text looks awkward)

I agree with your conclusion, but I disagree with pretty much everything else you said.

The first about the Harry Potter movies (yes, this ties into the discussion, bear with me lol) being great adaptations of the books - the weren't, not by a long shot. The only one I actually liked was the third, which was the least 'accurate' one. The problem was that although they adapted all the best scenes, that's all they were - they sacrificed pacing, depth of characterisation, atmosphere, themes, world-building, basically everything that made the books so 'magical'.

A lot of anime adaptations do this. A recent failure in this regard was Persona 4.

This doesn't apply as such to Sailor Moon because the manga and anime are very different. The problem is that while the manga is many times more mature, is it also very shallow. The small number of volumes simply doesn't allow huge world building and immersion.

I recently rewatched the anime too - just last year. A neat marathon of all episodes one after the other, skipping nothing and watching the specials when chronologically relevant. I loved it as a child, but I remember being frustrated with the endless filler. I also didn't remember any real depth.

I was wrong. Ikuhara, the genius behind Penguindrum and the majority of Utena, was behind it, after all. All the fillers in the first two seasons and in Super S were variations on a theme, exploring the ramifications of whatever it picked to focus on in that season. Each filler in the first season made sure to reveals bits and pieces, small but genuine nuggets of characterization, from the Sailor Senshi. Each filler in the second season was about family and what family means (sort of like a proto-Penguindrum). Half of Super S was one big rape metaphor (the enemies showing themselves into the soul mirrors after doing some sort of seduction charade, the victims blushing, screaming and moaning, it was ridiculously blatant).

...and, well, a lot more.

The first season was genuine and heart-warming, with great character depth especially among the villains. The second season was the best mahou shoujo I've ever seen (save for Madoka, which doesn't count), and of the best series overall. The third season, which was somewhat 'closer to the manga' was rather weak, yes. Then Super S came with exactly the kind of fresh direction Sailor Moon needed with ChibiUsa (Usagi was so developed that she was stagnant as a main character at that point) and the mind permanently in the gutter symbolism.

Then Ikuhara left and Stars imho sucked (though it was my favorite at 9).


Sailor Moon was the opposite to Harry Potter in that the anime had much more depth than the original. It's hard to compare the adaptation with the original though, because they might as well be different series - Sailor Moon the anime belonged to Ikuhara and the other directors much more than it ever did Naoko Takeuchi. It was their vision, their hopes, their worldview.

...but this is hard to see if you watch the anime by 'keeping a guide open beside it' and skipping 3/4ths of the show <_<


But a reboot is a good idea. Takeuchi's story, her vision and worldview, also deserves a chance to shine.
 
02-27-13, 9:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2795
LayedBack said:
MarineSlate said:
fuk sailor moon dbz needs new anime 2


This post is full of fail, on multiple levels.


Sarcasm, learn it.
 
02-27-13, 10:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1504
MarineSlate said:
LayedBack said:
MarineSlate said:
fuk sailor moon dbz needs new anime 2


This post is full of fail, on multiple levels.


Sarcasm, learn it.


We're communicating through text. Sometimes really lame and pointless sarcastic jokes don't register.
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
 
02-27-13, 10:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2795
LayedBack said:
MarineSlate said:
LayedBack said:
MarineSlate said:
fuk sailor moon dbz needs new anime 2


This post is full of fail, on multiple levels.


Sarcasm, learn it.


We're communicating through text. Sometimes really lame and pointless sarcastic jokes don't register.


Only to you and those who stand by your theories.

We'll meet again somewhere else, hopefully I'll be able to have fun with my posts the next time.
 
02-27-13, 10:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
MarineSlate said:
LayedBack said:
We're communicating through text. Sometimes really lame and pointless sarcastic jokes don't register.
Only to you and those who stand by your theories.
We'll meet again somewhere else, hopefully I'll be able to have fun with my posts the next time.

To be fair to LayedBack, what one person intends to be obvious sarcasm, someone else around here has probably posted before, almost word for word, in absolute seriousness. If only some of the crazier comments around here were actually sarcasm... sadly too often they're not.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
02-27-13, 2:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Kiraly said:

I disagree with pretty much everything else you said.


Pretty much going to have to toss that one back at you, haha.

Your main point seems to be on world building - which Harry Potter does not lack whatsoever. Repetition does not mean character building nor world building. As I said in my original post, Harry Potter was as close to the books as reasonably possible. And in my opinion, they were as faithfully adapted to the big screen as could be done within the constraints of a series of feature films.

Would it have been better served as a TV series? Perhaps. There would have been ample time to explore things like SPEW and they could avoid skipping scenes or eliminating characters. But they were made into a series of movies - a series of highly successful and critically acclaimed movies. Look, if I'm going to bitch about a book being made into a movie, I'm going to go after The Golden Compass and a lot of other things before I even think about HP. They were the best that could be done with the format they were being converted to.

Going back to Sailor Moon... you seem to think that the filler provided lots of small gems of character development and world building. While I agree that there are some, the cost to get to them is high. Mainly, the amount of time it takes to watch/sift through all of the time-soaking filler to get to the long-term relevant parts. The manga explores character interaction and relationship development much more than the anime ever did. I would really argue if one or the other were shallow, it's definitely the anime.

Kiraly said:

The problem is that while the manga is many times more mature, is it also very shallow. The small number of volumes simply doesn't allow huge world building and immersion.


The emotional development, relationship development, and overall character portrayals are very much lacking from the anime, when you compare to their poignancy in the manga. You really see Usagi mature in the manga, whereas in the anime her maturation is weak and slow (and only rarely explored). The only time that characters "break the mold" in the show is when they're fighting the Big Bad.

Considering that the manga focused heavily on character development in a way that was meant to mirror adolescent female maturation, I find the fact that it's greatly diminished or almost ignored entirely to be the reason why the anime is so emotionally shallow. To be honest, if you just say that the manga is "shallow" because it doesn't have as much content, I think it's a misuse of the word. The manga is the one with more depth in terms of character, relationships, and plot. The only thing that the anime has is really just more content. More content does not equal depth.

Is there some character development? Absolutely. But the amount of development and the pacing are very different. One of the things that irritated me was what they did to Rei. She became little more than a caricature. She went from being an elegant, man-hating, somewhat aloof yet tempermental girl with a lonely childhood to a boy crazy, hot-headed, and forceful brat. And she never really escapes this.

The same could be said for any of the characters. Sure, they grow - a little. But then we're always ricocheted back into their old stereotypical behaviors. In final battles you see them mature and be serious, but it's made shallow by a lack of significant (just reiterating that yes, there is some growth) character growth after those battles. It was almost schizophrenic, in a way.

This could be attributed to length - a 52 chapter manga doesn't really translate to a 200 episode anime by today's standards. In order to stretch things out, characters couldn't develop too quickly. There was probably also a fear that if they did mature, then it could cause a negative reaction among young viewers. In short, it was a safe move to keep them largely within the same structural/stereotypical molds. But this also relates back to the time in which it was made. If you go back and look at anime from that era, you won't see as many risks being taken. It's just the way it was 20 years ago.

Going back to Solvite... if anything, the anime at that time was a serious milking of a cash cow; an obvious attempt to give length to something to make it last longer.

Kiraly said:

This doesn't apply as such to Sailor Moon because the manga and anime are very different.


I think this was the best statement you made. The two should be analyzed separately rather than comparatively, though it's natural to compare the two. Looking at them as two entirely separate works makes a world of difference, especially considering the era in which they were created. Anime adaptations nowadays have moved towards filler "arcs" rather than filler episodes, which makes a huge difference. Why? Because there is no more hiding actual plotline/character development within obvious time soaking episodes.



Kiraly said:

...but this is hard to see if you watch the anime by 'keeping a guide open beside it' and skipping 3/4ths of the show <_<


I've re-watched the whole thing, I've re-watched favorite episodes, and I've re-watched single seasons, on top of going through and watching just the core of the show (although your estimation that 3/4ths of the show is filler is a huge exaggeration, unless we have very different definitions of "filler"). And as I said above, filler that reinforces repetitive stereotypes does not equate world building or "depth."
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
 
02-27-13, 3:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1452
veluriel said:


Pretty much going to have to toss that one back at you, haha.


That what makes discussions fun XD

veluriel said:

Your main point seems to be on world building - which Harry Potter does not lack whatsoever. Repetition does not mean character building nor world building. As I said in my original post, Harry Potter was as close to the books as reasonably possible. And in my opinion, they were as faithfully adapted to the big screen as could be done within the constraints of a series of feature films.

Would it have been better served as a TV series? Perhaps. There would have been ample time to explore things like SPEW and they could avoid skipping scenes or eliminating characters. But they were made into a series of movies - a series of highly successful and critically acclaimed movies. Look, if I'm going to bitch about a book being made into a movie, I'm going to go after The Golden Compass and a lot of other things before I even think about HP. They were the best that could be done with the format they were being converted to.


But 'being close to the books' isn't an indication of quality. That was supposed to be the original point of my HP tl;dr, but then I sort off forgot to point it out. Lord of the Rings, even the non-extended and short versions, were good adaptations - did they stick to the book? Only broadly. Movies are a different medium, the source need to be adapted - you don't do this by animating your favorite moments.

The third HP movie was also a good adaptation. It presented all the most important information, and even emphasized a lot of important things in places natural for a movie (like the scene with the table at the beginning). It made me remember the book fondly, but also allowed the story to stand independently from it.

...compared to the first movie which made my 12 year old self rage all the way home from the cinema.

To adapt something you basically have three choices: more or less 1:1, like Uchuu Kyodai and Monster which assumed many episodes, or adapt it to the medium, like Sankarea and a couple of others, or go all original with it like Gankutsuou and 07-Ghost. You can't attempt a 1:1 and then pick and choose scenes. You can't go the original route while shoehorning all the 'important bits' from the original.

Sailor Moon feels like it started out as the second and then grew into the third as the anime staff grew more confident.


veluriel said:
Going back to Sailor Moon... you seem to think that the filler provided lots of small gems of character development and world building. While I agree that there are some, the cost to get to them is high. Mainly, the amount of time it takes to watch/sift through all of the time-soaking filler to get to the long-term relevant parts. The manga explores character interaction and relationship development much more than the anime ever did. I would really argue if one or the other were shallow, it's definitely the anime.


They didn't feel like filler as much as I expected. The fillers in basically every other long-running show out there are worse - look at any Precure, including Heartcatch. Sure, if you disregard the fact that it is a long running show and a mahou shoujo, a genre with a monster of the week tradition, it's true that they could have cut back. But compared to other anime it did great.

And certain seasons were shallow, yes. Particularly Sailor Stars. The fillers in S and Stars were a chore to sit through. No overarching theme, no villain development, no side-cast development...

The problem with the manga is that (1) Usagi is too perfect and (2) it cares nothing about the side-characters. The villains are all cardboard cutouts, while the same characters in the anime are fantastic. The manga only explores certain character interaction and, more importantly, it doesn't feel like it has a message. Or if it does I didn't feel it.


veluriel said:

The emotional development, relationship development, and overall character portrayals are very much lacking from the anime, when you compare to their poignancy in the manga. You really see Usagi mature in the manga, whereas in the anime her maturation is weak and slow (and only rarely explored). The only time that characters "break the mold" in the show is when they're fighting the Big Bad.

Considering that the manga focused heavily on character development in a way that was meant to mirror adolescent female maturation, I find the fact that it's greatly diminished or almost ignored entirely to be the reason why the anime is so emotionally shallow. To be honest, if you just say that the manga is "shallow" because it doesn't have as much content, I think it's a misuse of the word. The manga is the one with more depth in terms of character, relationships, and plot. The only thing that the anime has is really just more content. More content does not equal depth.


We probably have different definitions of depth. The anime explored several interesting issues and gave me a lot to think about. It was also fun and never lost sight of its characters. The character development itself was very subtle - such as the relationship between Usagi and Chibiusa changing from sisterly to a mother/daughter one (I was floored when I first noticed this and couldn't pinpoint when it happened). But Usagi's development ended with R. There was no way she could grow further than how she was at the end of it, and she never did - this is why S was stagnant and why I liked her being a bit side-lined in Super S. To keep her in the show they had to regress her somewhat, it's understandable.

veluriel said:
Is there some character development? Absolutely. But the amount of development and the pacing are very different. One of the things that irritated me was what they did to Rei. She became little more than a caricature. She went from being an elegant, man-hating, somewhat aloof yet tempermental girl with a lonely childhood to a boy crazy, hot-headed, and forceful brat. And she never really escapes this.


...did we watch the same show? Did I have an advantage from actually understanding Japanese?

Rei started out as a spoiled ojou-sama type brat. She always had that exaggeratedly snotty tone and faux-upperclass vocabulary which she used to talk down on basically everybody. She was also quite manipulative and really didn't think much of others. As the series progressed and she matured she stopped talking down to people, started listening more and became a strong and dependable friend. Her character flaws didn't disappear, but she stopped trying to mask them. And she had always been crazy about boys, just like every other Inner Senshi save for Ami (most of the time). Because she was teenage girl.

...they were 16/17 when the series ended, remember, not 20.



veluriel said:
This could be attributed to length - a 52 chapter manga doesn't really translate to a 200 episode anime by today's standards. In order to stretch things out, characters couldn't develop too quickly. There was probably also a fear that if they did mature, then it could cause a negative reaction among young viewers. In short, it was a safe move to keep them largely within the same structural/stereotypical molds. But this also relates back to the time in which it was made. If you go back and look at anime from that era, you won't see as many risks being taken. It's just the way it was 20 years ago.


No risks being taken? Super S side-lined the main character and spent most of its time thinking up creative sex metaphors. All seasons were full of LGBT messages and themes, something that is still risky now, in 2013. Villains were only ever killed after making sure we cared about them. The girls were more interested in boys than being perfectly pure maidens - how many mahou shoujo can you think of where the girls change crushes like once a week?

They probably had some episode quota to cover, but they were pretty good.



...and here's hoping I didn't make as many grammar mistakes and typos as I did my previous comment.
 
02-27-13, 5:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
I feel like you're backtracking on your HP analysis to be honest. But I'm going to stick to Sailor Moon for now.

Kiraly said:

The problem with the manga is that (1) Usagi is too perfect and (2) it cares nothing about the side-characters. The villains are all cardboard cutouts, while the same characters in the anime are fantastic. The manga only explores certain character interaction and, more importantly, it doesn't feel like it has a message. Or if it does I didn't feel it.


Usagi is in no way perfect - she definitely has her faults and retains them even as she grows. She is in many ways a very average high school girl with problems regarding insecurities and the discovery of self. In the anime, the constant crying gets overused to the point of inanity. And she never really gains much introspective self-understanding. As I said before - very little character development.

As far as message... Did we read the same manga? It's about growing up, facing difficulties, learning who you are and how you fit into the world. It's about succeeding in the face of difficulties, whether they're simple ones born of the nature of adolescence, or complex ones regarding destiny, and the fate of the world.

If you're talking about the "messages" that were conveyed in individual episodes, that's a completely different thing. I feel that the anime succeeded in creating episodes that gave you a simplistic "life lesson" in each show, but that those vignettes overall did not succeed in conveying a deeper message about growing up. You got simple things like "don't judge a book by its cover" or "there's no 'I' in team." These are great in a kids show, which is the demographic Sailor Moon was aimed at, but they lack the true depth inherent in pieces that talk not of simplified adages, but to the experience of growing up overall. So the messages here come off as trite and overly simplistic rather than an overarching continuous theme.

Kiraly said:

...did we watch the same show? Did I have an advantage from actually understanding Japanese?


I've watched both the original Japanese (I've also studied the language and "actually" understand it) and English adaptation (that's the only way we got it back when I was a kid). The first show I ever downloaded was Sailor Stars. On dial-up. On AOL. *shudders* It was also my first experience with subtitles, beginning a long journey... haha. But I digress.

Kiraly said:

Rei started out as a spoiled ojou-sama type brat. She always had that exaggeratedly snotty tone and faux-upperclass vocabulary which she used to talk down on basically everybody. She was also quite manipulative and really didn't think much of others. As the series progressed and she matured she stopped talking down to people, started listening more and became a strong and dependable friend. Her character flaws didn't disappear, but she stopped trying to mask them. And she had always been crazy about boys, just like every other Inner Senshi save for Ami (most of the time). Because she was teenage girl.


Separating this into two points:

1) I was comparing manga Rei vs. anime Rei. There is a huge difference between the two. Her "upper class" vocabulary wouldn't be "faux" because she really was a rich girl at a private girls academy whose father was a powerful politician (See Casablanca Memory). In that same story, she says that she doesn't need love (she's adamant about never getting married as well), as she believes would be a monopolizer, and instead draws on her bonds with her friends for support. There's a lot about her past in there, and it gives a really solid picture of who she is and why she dislikes men so much (daddy issues, mostly). Her original character is much more complex, because as you said, all the other Inner Senshi sans Ami are "boy crazy." But Rei was never meant to be that way. She was meant to be aloof and arrogant, and because of where she starts in the manga personality wise, there's a huge development when she begins to learn how to trust others and value their opinions. The growth of her character is really amazing, and she does some of the most growth out of all of the main characters.

2) I am basing my second point on what I believe was your rebuttal to my saying that Rei "never really escapes" being an arrogant, hot-headed, forceful brat. As I already noted, yes there's some character development. But overall I felt that her development (just like everyone's) was just as lacking. To be fair though, my opinion is probably heavily colored by the fact that I was never fully satisfied with the personality that she started out with in the anime.

Side note: The idea that "teen girls are boy crazy" is a pretty big stereotype. One of the reasons I loved Rei was because she bucked the trend in popular media to portray girls as desperate for male attention and basing their entire lives on it. Media now is only barely getting away from that in their portrayal of girls; for her era Takeuchi was very ahead of the curve at creating truly unique characters that while fitting into basic forms, still managed to exceed them.

Kiraly said:

No risks being taken? Super S side-lined the main character and spent most of its time thinking up creative sex metaphors. All seasons were full of LGBT messages and themes, something that is still risky now, in 2013. Villains were only ever killed after making sure we cared about them. The girls were more interested in boys than being perfectly pure maidens - how many mahou shoujo can you think of where the girls change crushes like once a week?


Sexual metaphors and LGBT messages are neither rare nor particularly risky in Japanese anime or manga. Shounen ai and shojo ai are accepted categories (not to mention yaoi and yuri), and there's often a lot of acceptable unspoken subtext even in shows that don't explicitly categorize themselves as either. Going through the manga you find a lot more sexual subtext and allusions to F/F relationships. A lot more. Now, in the U.S. LGBT messages were definitely dangerously risky at the time (side note: crazy how far we've come!). It's why our English adaptation made Zoisite a girl, Fisheye a girl, and Haruka and Michiru "cousins." And although nowadays it's not as risky, most American companies would still probably be hesitant to put gay characters in their cartoons aimed at young children.

But we're not talking about the U.S. media - we're talking about Japan. Plenty of shows have characters that are "ambiguous" or are filled with bishie fanservice knowing full well that people will "ship" them in fandoms. They play to what the audience wants. Back when the show was first aired, I'm sure there was at least a little controversy, but it was overshadowed by the intense popularity of the show and the power it retained in popular culture. And in the time since then, more than a handful of anime have included such themes, whether M/M or F/F. I certainly wouldn't call it "risky" by today's standards in Japanese anime/pop culture. (tvtropes)

All of that aside, the risk I was talking about was risk in alienating young viewers by changing the characters. As children, change is very difficult to understand or accept in many ways. I was only trying to point out that they may not have allocated much thought towards character evolution because they weren't sure how it would be interpreted by their target audience. And when producers of children's shows put sexual subtext into it, it's usually for the laughs of the adults in the room (see Disney).
Modified by veluriel, 02-27-13, 6:54 PM
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
 
02-27-13, 11:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 812
it been confirmed very long ago in the first time the new sailor moon anoucced that it going to be a reboot which will follow exactly acording the manga
 
02-27-13, 11:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 10527
elior1 said:
it been confirmed very long ago in the first time the new sailor moon anoucced that it going to be a reboot which will follow exactly acording the manga
I checked the report of the original announcement and I could not see any mention of that is going to follow exactly according to the manga. Do you have the source?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
 
02-28-13, 12:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
‎( ¬‿¬) lol this is suprising
©Falling-In-Hate and the respected owners

 
02-28-13, 12:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
symbv said:
elior1 said:
it been confirmed very long ago in the first time the new sailor moon anoucced that it going to be a reboot which will follow exactly acording the manga
I checked the report of the original announcement and I could not see any mention of that is going to follow exactly according to the manga. Do you have the source?


Before Kiraly and I exchanged walls of text (apologies, lol) I posted about moonkitty.net's exchange with Fumio Osano on twitter.

Links:
moonkitty.net
Fumio Osano's twitter (he tweets in Japanese and English)

Basically the people at moonkitty have been trying to get as much information from him as they can. They haven't been able to confirm that it will "exactly follow the manga" however; only that it'll be a reboot and not a continuation after Stars. The reality is that there just isn't a lot of information being released.

P.S. For those that don't know, Fumio Osano is/was Naoko Takeuchi's editor.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
 
02-28-13, 1:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 10527
^ The moonkitty.net site shows a lot of details. And the following details stand out:

QUOTE
Here's what we know so far...

It is confirmed that this anime is not an anime film, but a series.
The new Sailor Moon anime will be released simultaneously worldwide!
The band Momoiro Clover Z will be singing the opening theme song.
The anime will be a fresh reboot. i.e. Not a continuation of the original anime set after Sailor Stars.

END QUOTE

And this is what I got from the Japanese report of the original announcement as well.

And also this:

QUOTE
We don't know what the story will be yet or what characters will be appearing. No idea if it will be an original creation much like the live action Sailor Moon series, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon was or if it will be based on the Sailor Moon manga.

END QUOTE

This is why I would like to call out on elior1 to see where he learned that "it been confirmed very long ago in the first time the new sailor moon anoucced that it going to be a reboot which will follow exactly acording the manga". Spreading false news or presenting hearsay as "confirmed update" is a really inconsiderate and unacceptable thing to do.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
 
02-28-13, 6:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12
I know what happened. MissDream who originally subbed the Sailor Moon 20th Anniversary talk had several misleading tweets which somehow led people to believe that this series was a reboot based on the manga saying things like "it is based on the manga for original fans of the series not kids" when that was just made up on their part. However, something like this was never stated at all. At the same time, they also "confirmed" that the song that Momoiro Clover sang would be the opening song which is not true. I doubt they would use a two year old song for the 2013 anime.

So honestly, we have no idea at all what the series will be like except for the fact that it will be new and it will be a series. I hope it will be more than one season/cour.
 
03-01-13, 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
remake or not, expect a clearer version of Sailor Moon. if it is a remake, then people could watch this aside from naruto, bleach or gintama. but if it is a new story (but same transformations pls^^) + keep it ongoing, the better! we watched these girls during our childhood days and now we will see them again soon. time to party! :)
 
03-06-13, 3:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 57
Do we have any idea yet how many episodes they plan to make for season 1?
 
03-07-13, 12:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 812
my guess is since it will start in the summer we will get more information on this sailor moon in the spring
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (17) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices