Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 2, 2008 3:28 AM
Aug 2008
So the female class leader is a potential romantic interest for Natsume.

Spoiler for Ep. 13:

Is anyone watching this and hoping for a romantic subplot?

Does anyone think that Natsume is being portrayed as extra-bishounen and extra-non-threatening in order to make him more attractive to insecure girls in the audience who would get turned off by excessively macho characters? I notice that a lot of fairly mainstream shows marketed to teenage girls make a point of portraying the male characters as incredibly non-threatening and non-macho, to the point where guys in the audience object.

Of course, yaoi takes this effeminate male theme way past the mainstream.

I think this show is primarily for a male audience. It portrays Natsume as brave but not very strong -- a lot of males can admire a fellow like that. He's brave precisely because he's not strong, but he still tries.

xxxHolic was a great show, but IMHO it was written by women depicting the kind of male character they liked, not the kind of male character that a male audience would sympathize with. In xxxHolic, the lead is very wimpy and needs a lot of help from friends a and super-powerful, super-womanly witch. In Natsume Yuujinchou, the lead is brave and rather self-sufficient.
Oct 2, 2008 6:39 AM

Oct 2006
Uh-oh. It couldn't be more obvious that Natsume Yuujinchou is aimed at a shoujo audience, meaning GIRLS. Of course that doesn't mean males can't enjoy it, but first and foremost it isn't aimed at them.

Takashi isn't exactly the male ideal, imo. I wouldn't call him wimpy either, but he's a sensitive boy.
As for the gayness, what exactly makes you think that someone is gay, femininity? If that is the case I'll have to disappoint you. What makes Takashi appear 'gay' to the audience is probably more his at times very awkward interaction with other male characters (Tanuma; Natori) and his avoidance of Sasada, who couldn't be more obvious about liking Takashi.
Oct 2, 2008 8:50 AM

May 2007
I just think he is bothered by Sasada, think Spiderman 2.

Anyway I am a dude and like the character of Natsume, he isn't super strong or super weak just a little weaker than average guy who has to actually fight.
My anime list
Oct 2, 2008 9:37 AM

Mar 2008
well, i think tht the aniex thing at the end was meant to be interpretted as a joke, and not read into so much. its obvious they're just friends. and its obvious tht natsume isnt gay, jus not rly interesting in all that - i think he has enough on his mind!

and yes, natsume is a great character, a contrast to xxxholic, but they both are brilliant in their own seperate and unique ways.

oh yes and also the class presidents love interest, awww bless her. but i dnt think itll go anywhere - as i was saying, i think natsume has more than enough on his plate!

cant wait for 2nd season!! should be good :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2008 9:41 AM

Feb 2008
Naww~
Poor Watanuki is GAR secretly.
Oct 2, 2008 10:05 AM

Feb 2008
haha that was a joke. natsume's problem is that he doenst attach to people easily. even more so, those to whom he's attacked to or should be, he tells nothing. they hve to force it out of him like that guy did. THe girl knows that he can see youkai's but he never confirms it for her. it is only until she actually finds proof that she will mercilessly pursue him.

looking at the ending, it is a good thing there is an S2 cause it really should have another S2. there is still a few loose ends here and there.
Oct 7, 2008 11:33 PM

Nov 2006
i feel that
- the mangaka is a BL fan and likes to joke around with that with the cockblocking
- because of that the dudes are already going to be somewhat feminine
- she doesn't want this to turn into romance; rather have it stay focused on ayakashi not people
and i very much agree that natsume's cute and gentle because it's non-threatening/attractive to girls.
i think the thought of "not extremely masculine = gay" is disgusting and ainex should be ashamed of what they wrote.

that said: i am neutral towards sasada and i just don't see it happening. she can't see ayakashi so how could they ever work? they could come to an understanding but natsume will always be in a different world. even if he loses the ability to see the ayakashi like that one guy in whatever episode, he'll still never be a regular human being. he'll never be able to interact with humans normally because of what he's been through.

honestly sometimes i think sasada's role as possible romantic interest is a joke because of how much she got cockblocked. she's kind of there for comic relief and ~ a young (alive) female presence ~. so far, anyway. if she drops the ghost hunters act and tries to get to know natsume for natsume maybe her role will change.

gender completely aside, if anything happened, i'd like to see tanuma and natsume develop something because of how tanuma can kinda see ayakashi. they can bond over it and they can help each other understand what it's like to "be on the other side" - seeing the ayakashi or not seeing them. it works because tanuma knows about them and can see partial things/understand nyankosensei and likes natsume for who he is.

anyway my point is...i don't think gender itself matters, it just matters how you feel for the other person. i guess that's why i really hate gay stereotypes and yaoi anime/manga where EVERY MALE IS GAY RANDOMLY!!! just doesn't work that way...

but i still don't think anything is going to happen in the romance department. if anything does i'll be pretty surprised.

about xxxholic: i enjoy natsume more because, as weird as this sounds, it's more realistic. i feel i could see natsume on the sidewalk tomorrow, walking around. for all i know, there IS someone just like him walking around. watanuki, on the other hand, is a marvelous character but he's so unreal. i don't feel i could ever know someone like him. his character is so EVERYWHERE it's hard to visualize the real watanuki, which makes him seem hard to get close to/see as an individual.

haha that got long, sorry. i enjoy this series so much i kinda ran off with my response.
Oct 11, 2008 9:25 PM
Aug 2008
windy said:
i feel that
- the mangaka is a BL fan and likes to joke around with that with the cockblocking

.... they can help each other understand what it's like to "be on the other side" - seeing the ayakashi or not seeing them. it works because tanuma knows about them and can see partial things/understand nyankosensei and likes natsume for who he is.

anyway my point is...i don't think gender itself matters, it just matters how you feel for the other person. ...
about xxxholic: i enjoy natsume more because, as weird as this sounds, it's more realistic. i feel i could see natsume on the sidewalk tomorrow, walking around.

1. Yeah, the mangaka probably is a BL fan. I didn't notice that but now that you point it out, it fits.
2. Natsume has two friends who should be able to empathize with seeing spirits -- the one classmate who has dim vision, and the older guy who's a spirit-commanding mage-rock-star-dude. I guess either one could become a pair romance, but from what I know of guys, it's also likely that the three of them would hang out, have some snacks, talk about spirits, etc. That is not to rule out gay love. I presume that among the groups of men I have hung out with, there were gay relationships that got started in situations I saw as purely social -- then continued in private.
3. "Gender doesn't matter, it's just how you feel," is true so long as your feelings are strong enough to dominate the rest of your life. For some people, that's lifelong. For a lot of people, feelings are sometimes strong, and then sometimes not strong at all. Thus I've seen a lot of people get into sexual relationships for feelings, then drop them after a week because the feeling just isn't there anymore. By contrast, some people fall madly in love at fifteen and stay madly in love with the same person for seventy years.
4. I agree, xxxHolic is a lot more exaggerated and over-the-top. Even "Ghost Hunt" is exaggerated, especially the season finale. Natsume is what I call "low fantasy." If you believe ghosts and spirits can have objective existence, without a person dreaming them up, then you can believe in Natsume.

I think it could be cranked down even further, and you could have a show where clairvoyance works just well enough to keep people working on it, without gaining major advantages. You could have a show where telekinesis can only move paperclips, and for the season finale, it could bend a spoon. It would have to have very interesting characters to get anyone to watch, though.
Nov 9, 2008 1:05 AM

Sep 2007
K, first of all I will admit to being a huge yaoi fan, but I didn't get that feeling from Takashi at all. Which is not to say that he couldn't be, but I also hate the "not extremely masculine = gay" stereotype, and I hate seeing it being overused in anime! Guys are afraid enough of showing a "softer" and "more feminine" side already WITHOUT that being shoved down our throats.

Another thing I dislike is people thinking everybody needs romance to be happy. I hope that doesn't become a main focus for this series, but I really can't see it happening anyway. He just doesn't fit, plain and simple.

And as for who it's aimed at, well, the manga lists one of its genres as being shoujo, so I'm guessing a female audience.

EDIT: (0_0) Well, no gay vibes except for episode 10!

37wallflower73Nov 9, 2008 8:24 AM
~ Nothing makes us as lonely as our own secrets ~

Jul 2, 2012 7:45 PM

Nov 2010
The class president girl in the manga goes away after her little episode so she isn't in the manga, so i don't think she would ever be a love interest since her existence in the anime is basically filler. and i don't think there will ever be love maybe until the very end since there has been like no hint whatsoever and that is not where the goodness of the show lies. It was written by a woman so you can tell the guys are a little bit how a girl would like them but it's still a great story and i like the characters.
Feb 10, 2016 1:44 PM
Dec 2015
[quote=niwasatou message=1814737]Uh-oh. It couldn't be more obvious that Natsume Yuujinchou is aimed at a shoujo audience, meaning GIRLS. Of course that doesn't mean males can't enjoy it, but first and foremost it isn't aimed at them.

Takashi isn't exactly the male ideal, imo. I wouldn't call him wimpy either, but he's a sensitive boy.
As for the gayness, what exactly makes you think that someone is gay, femininity? If that is the case I'll have to disappoint you. What makes Takashi appear 'gay' to the audience is probably more his at times very awkward interaction with other male characters (Tanuma; Natori) and his avoidance of Sasada, who couldn't be more obvious about liking Takashi.

I agree with her. In the second season
Feb 10, 2016 1:51 PM
Dec 2015
windy said:
i feel that
- because of that the dudes are already going to be somewhat feminine
- she doesn't want this to turn into romance; rather have it stay focused on ayakashi not people
and i very much agree that natsume's cute and gentle because it's non-threatening/attractive to girls.
i think the thought of "not extremely masculine = gay" is disgusting and ainex should be ashamed of what they wrote.

that said: i am neutral towards sasada and i just don't see it happening. she can't see ayakashi so how could they ever work? they could come to an understanding but natsume will always be in a different world. even if he loses the ability to see the ayakashi like that one guy in whatever episode, he'll still never be a regular human being. he'll never be able to interact with humans normally because of what he's been through.

honestly sometimes i think sasada's role as possible romantic interest is a joke because of how much she got cockblocked. she's kind of there for comic relief and ~ a young (alive) female presence ~. so far, anyway. if she drops the ghost hunters act and tries to get to know natsume for natsume maybe her role will change.

gender completely aside, if anything happened, i'd like to see tanuma and natsume develop something because of how tanuma can kinda see ayakashi. they can bond over it and they can help each other understand what it's like to "be on the other side" - seeing the ayakashi or not seeing them. it works because tanuma knows about them and can see partial things/understand nyankosensei and likes natsume for who he is.

anyway my point is...i don't think gender itself matters, it just matters how you feel for the other person. i guess that's why i really hate gay stereotypes and yaoi anime/manga where EVERY MALE IS GAY RANDOMLY!!! just doesn't work that way...

but i still don't think anything is going to happen in the romance department. if anything does i'll be pretty surprised.

about xxxholic: i enjoy natsume more because, as weird as this sounds, it's more realistic. i feel i could see natsume on the sidewalk tomorrow, walking around. for all i know, there IS someone just like him walking around. watanuki, on the other hand, is a marvelous character but he's so unreal. i don't feel i could ever know someone like him. his character is so EVERYWHERE it's hard to visualize the real watanuki, which makes him seem hard to get close to/see as an individual.

haha that got long, sorry. i enjoy this series so much i kinda ran off with my response.

I feel like he is homosexual. in the second season, the interaction where he actually grew close to a female, he acted comfortable and friendly. when he's with natori or tanuma, he acts a bit self conscious and blushes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Sep 29, 2008

190 by filoshi »»
Apr 2, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 25, 2008

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Mar 22, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ohmiharu - Jul 7, 2008

167 by filoshi »»
Feb 28, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Sep 18, 2008

106 by Ishitateso »»
Jan 21, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

datsunvic - Aug 13, 2008

146 by dont_ »»
Jan 21, 3:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.