Forums
Accel World (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 29, 2014 10:18 AM
Jul 2014
issen-ken-taka said:

Then why in the name of sweet lasagna does he have the female following of a ALPHA MALE? If you wan't him to be a nerd, have him live the life of a nerd! Sure, that doesn't mean he'll be single forever, no, but he should have all the cast emotionally drool over him either!.

because the girls in AW aren't NORMAL girls, they are players in a game where you can play it for years that would translate in months IRL, so the girls are more mature and are looking for more than physical appearance, who knows how old is Kuroyukihime, 900 years?? 1000 years??
Aug 30, 2014 10:20 AM

Aug 2011
OPPRIME said:

because the girls in AW aren't NORMAL girls, they are players in a game where you can play it for years that would translate in months IRL, so the girls are more mature and are looking for more than physical appearance, who knows how old is Kuroyukihime, 900 years?? 1000 years??

Wrong! Wrong on so many levels!

1. She's not 900 years, probably around +5 to 10 years more than her biological age, at best. Just look at her behavior. Does she behave like a grown woman? No. Which means that she isn't that old, mentally. And any way, playing Brain burst for 1000 years won't make you mature. Wisdom and maturity come with age, sure, but you have to have gained some life experience, not just fight nonstop in a battle royal. But AGAIN, and I insist, there is no way she stood in that game 900 years, when she herself preached not to spend too much time in there.

2. Kuroyuki loves Haru because she's broken. I noticed this trend in anime. When they have an unlikable character with a super cool crush it's almost always explained by the fact that she's a broken bird someway. For example, Saber, from Fate/Stay Night.

CASE IN POINT?
That's how you get an awesome character fall for someone way below their league.
Same with Kuroyuki. She's broken. Not completely sure why, though I have my theories (*cough*sister*cough*).

3. Rin is just a shy girl. She has low standards. Plausible crush. Kuroyukihime covered above. Everyone else? Not much of a plausible love interest. Chiyu would have definitely friend-zone him, and I think there's absolutely no problem in that. She makes a great couple with Taku. Amazing chemistry, for a screentime close to zero, that is. Scarlet Rain? Always thought she had something with Cherry Rook... also, please don't add lolicon, we already have enough. Pard? WHY??? Raker? WHY??? haven't met ardor maiden yet... Anyone else?

Another interpretation would be that Kuroyuki is actually seducing and manipulating Haru into doing her bidding. And she's succeeding. That would be a lot more mature than falling in love with him. Downright dark and gritty. But i doubt that's the case. She's not

TL;DR Other than Kuroyuki and Rin, no other plausible love interest exist.
Aug 30, 2014 10:45 AM
Jul 2014
wow man, i mean you've made a paragraph long comment, trying to prove me wrong about my reason for Haru's harem, demonstrating me how Haru doesn't have a harem in the first place, when my response was to your claim that Haru has an alpha male following/harem, i mean do you even know what you want to prove anymore??

anyway, we know that Kuroyukihime was playing Brain Burst since she was 8, the time in Brain Burst works like this:
1 second = 1000 sec = 16 mins 40 Sec
1 minute = 16 hours 40 minutes
1 hour = 999.6 hours = 1 month 11 days 15hours 36 minutes
1 day = 2 years 8 months 20days 4hours 24 minutes
now, how old do you think Kuroyukihime is, when she's playing BB fro 6 years?? if 1 day=2,8 years??? you need to get your facts straight about the show and the relationships between the characters before claiming that it's a harem just to disprove yourself, make up your mind first, Haru has a harem or not??
Aug 30, 2014 11:02 AM

Aug 2011
Sorry. I must have confused you. I apologize. I am trying to prove that Haru SHOULDN'T have a harem. Momentarily, it's arguable whether he HAS or NOT. The author seems to suggest it, but it's not that obvious. I was trying to prove you wrong about the plausibility of Haru's harem by disproving your reasons. Although I got lost in all the writing. Sorry. :P

So I DON'T KNOW! I hope he doesn't, but for now, while arguable, the possibility exists. And that possibility infuriates me. It's Reki's novel, but I really hope he won't go the way most authors go and turn it into a harem. I understand how Japan thinks nowadays and their bizarre obsessions, but the industry has to grow up. It will, sooner of later, but I prefer if that happened sooner.

Also, I'm not saying that Kuroyuki couldn't have stayed for a millennium in that world, I'm saying that even if she could, she probably didn't. It's irrelevant how much time passes while your in. Just think of it this way, she could have spent a couple of hours per week to do the necessary fights, with the occasional exceptions for training. Regardless of how much time that means in 1x, at 1000x she's at most invested 10 hours per week. So she's probably spent less effective time in that world than I have in my game worlds.

On top of that, she and most experienced burst linkers (I'm not Noumi, I'll just call them that) preach not to let the accelerated world take priority over the real one, especially Kuroyukihime. I doubt she goes against her own beliefs.
Aug 30, 2014 11:39 AM
Jul 2014
issen-ken-taka said:
1)I understand how Japan thinks nowadays and their bizarre obsessions, but the industry has to grow up. It will, sooner of later, but I prefer if that happened sooner.

2)Also, I'm not saying that Kuroyuki couldn't have stayed for a millennium in that world, I'm saying that even if she could, she probably didn't. It's irrelevant how much time passes while your in. Just think of it this way, she could have spent a couple of hours per week to do the necessary fights, with the occasional exceptions for training. Regardless of how much time that means in 1x, at 1000x she's at most invested 10 hours per week. So she's probably spent less effective time in that world than I have in my game worlds.

3)On top of that, she and most experienced burst linkers (I'm not Noumi, I'll just call them that) preach not to let the accelerated world take priority over the real one, especially Kuroyukihime. I doubt she goes against her own beliefs.

1)i think the anime has proven itself that it's not shaped by the industry, being the only anime with a fat-short-whiny main character that gets the girls
2)i agree, a normal BurstBrain player will have that playtime but that it's not the case, she's a King, one of the only 7/ ex 8 kings out of thousands of players
3)that was more of an advice for Haru not a rule of herself
Aug 31, 2014 12:25 PM

Aug 2011
OPPRIME said:

1)i think the anime has proven itself that it's not shaped by the industry, being the only anime with a fat-short-whiny main character that gets the girls
2)i agree, a normal BurstBrain player will have that playtime but that it's not the case, she's a King, one of the only 7/ ex 8 kings out of thousands of players
3)that was more of an advice for Haru not a rule of herself

1. Frankly, I don't mind the wish fulfillment characters so long they're plausible. I'm just very, very annoyed by the implausibilities in anime. It's probably just me, but I just can't enjoy something that forces me to suspend my disbelief too much. To me, Haru would have been a much more likable character if he actually had more plausible relationships. KYH was enough of a love interest, no need to try and make others. Again, it hasn't been confirmed that anyone else except KYH and Rin are romantically interested in him, so my hopes are still up, but knowing the tendencies of Japanese authors, I'm also scared. Reki also made SAO, after all.

2. I give up. In the end there isn't any real proof of how much she spent in there, so unless we get an answer in a book or interview, arguing is pointless. But my point that you don't grow up emotionally by playing Mortal Combat for 1000 years still stands. Then again, Brain Burst is a bit more complex than Mortal Combat, and *does* include a social interactive part. Arguably.
Sep 1, 2014 9:34 PM

Oct 2013
issen-ken-taka said:

2. Kuroyuki loves Haru because she's broken. I noticed this trend in anime. When they have an unlikable character with a super cool crush it's almost always explained by the fact that she's a broken bird someway. For example, Saber, from Fate/Stay Night.

CASE IN POINT?
That's how you get an awesome character fall for someone way below their league.
Same with Kuroyuki. She's broken. Not completely sure why, though I have my theories (*cough*sister*cough*).

I laffed at your FSN rant. It was cool. Too bad there's no +1 on MAL.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Sep 4, 2014 7:16 AM

Aug 2011
NoongaJuice said:

I laffed at your FSN rant. It was cool. Too bad there's no +1 on MAL.

Glad someone found it funny/enjoyable :D
Dec 13, 2015 6:27 AM
Oct 2012
Accel world is clearly harem... And lolicon.
Ardor maiden... scarlet rain... if this is not lolicon then what?
Do I need to list all the girls that fall for haru? Black lotus, lime bell, scarlet rain, blood leopard, ash roller, sky raker, ardor maiden, aqua current, almost all the girls on the show !
Even a computer program "metatoron" is falling for haru, let alone white cosmos.
a computer program ... Seriously?
Accel world is lack of male character that what makes it harem
Mar 22, 2016 8:45 PM

May 2009
Kan_Biiru said:
I think people are misunderstanding the term "harem" and just want to throw word out to feel they are cool.

Well, stop trying.

Accel World and SAO is far from a harem. So what? 2-3 girls like the main character. Key word, like. Like is broad. They can like him as a brother, they just.. like him. None of them really "love him" (accel world)

The only one that really loves Haru is Hime. The only person Kirito loves is Asuna.

Sure, haru gets a few delusions. He was once a lonely teenager where the only girl that would talk to him was his childhood friend Chiyuri. What's wrong in fantasizing?

Kirito is devoted to one person and one person only. Asuna.

Do you see a crowd of girls oogling over Haru and Kirito constantly? No. Not really. Harem? No. Far from it.

Here's some harem series for you: Rosario + Vampire, High school DxD, Ouran Host Club, The World only God Knows (Manga), Sekirei and Sora no Otoshimono.

Now tell me, does SAO and Accel World have anything in common with those above harem wise? Nope.

I don't know. I may be wrong but all this time, I thought you could say a story is harem if there is one protagonist and he is surrounded by girls whether they all like him, love him or not. Or whether the guy loves just one girl or not. But maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway, I thought that it was going down to that path since many girls became involve with MC. I mean, why not replace some of the female characters with male characters? Do they all have to be female?

(May be quite off topic but...)
One question please, OHSHC is a reverse harem but I don't remember that all of the guys love Haruhi nor Haruhi loves any of the guys more than friends. So haw was it categorized as harem?

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Apr 10, 2016 11:23 AM

Aug 2011
didtav said:
Accel world is clearly harem... And lolicon.
Ardor maiden... scarlet rain... if this is not lolicon then what?
Do I need to list all the girls that fall for haru? Black lotus, lime bell, scarlet rain, blood leopard, ash roller, sky raker, ardor maiden, aqua current, almost all the girls on the show !
Even a computer program "metatoron" is falling for haru, let alone white cosmos.
a computer program ... Seriously?
Accel world is lack of male character that what makes it harem

This guy's onto something! I heard that Reki said that SAO and/or AW aren't harems. Well, if YOUR writing shows they are, you either have a different definition of the word or you're not doing it wrong.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Accel World Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 21, 2012

453 by Orin23 »»
Feb 20, 4:14 AM

» The episodes 16 to half of 24, gave me an anguish & pissed off reaction

Kiryotsu - Feb 3

3 by Eckl3 »»
Feb 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 14, 2012

185 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 11, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2012

223 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 13, 2012

178 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 4:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.