Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 10, 2012 11:58 AM

Aug 2007
blasterion said:
sarroush said:
Very sweet. The second part at least. Yukihira and Hiroko were so cute at the end. I'd have liked Takaiko's part more if Narihira wasn't an annoying assfuck like the generic male lover in shoujo manga.

Can't help it since they don't have much fiction material to work with, Narihara was just that kind of guy
Actually, there is plenty. You call 100 little? Ah well. Anyhow, if you think Takaiko was such a womanizer, then you clearly need to read the Tale of Genji...
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 10, 2012 5:15 PM

Aug 2007
I entered crunchyroll and I saw this anime, so I watched the first episode. Looks nice. Different style anime (comparing with others) but interesting.

I love the first tale.
Jul 11, 2012 11:08 AM
Jul 2012
DragonsWhip said:
blasterion said:
sarroush said:
Very sweet. The second part at least. Yukihira and Hiroko were so cute at the end. I'd have liked Takaiko's part more if Narihira wasn't an annoying assfuck like the generic male lover in shoujo manga.

Can't help it since they don't have much fiction material to work with, Narihara was just that kind of guy
Actually, there is plenty. You call 100 little? Ah well. Anyhow, if you think Takaiko was such a womanizer, then you clearly need to read the Tale of Genji...

Takaiko wasn't a womanizer, she was the womanized, and of course Genji was one hell of a playboy much more than Narihara
Jul 11, 2012 6:42 PM

Aug 2011
Very nice. Gonna see this one through to the end!

Sep 21, 2012 3:36 PM

Nov 2011
Alright, I started this series today as one of the titles that I didn't pick up for Summer Season and thoughts so far...

• Strange yet catchy OP song
  • Strange animation that reminds me of this series
  • The MC is a lady killer
  • Both brothers are lady killers

Not bad overall. 5/5.
Sep 27, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2012
sarroush said:

Don't worry. Narihira is only important in this episode and becomes a supporting character in two or three more episodes.
Aug 1, 2013 5:08 PM
Mar 2012
Murasaki Shikibu did base Genji off of Narihara though.
Jul 5, 2014 6:43 AM

Aug 2013
That was so sweet.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 8, 2014 2:31 PM
Mar 2012
I wonder how women could freely have lovers like that and not get pregnant.
Dec 11, 2014 1:16 PM

Jun 2012
The opening and ending of this show are unbelievably good. And the romance makes me kyaaaaa~
Aug 24, 2015 11:00 AM

May 2012
Well this is different than what I expecting this would be, but I like it somewhere! The overall setting and somewhat unique art style sure makes up for a lot of other points that are less good.

The ED is quite meh but the OP is okay! Either way lets see what this anime will offer us!
Feb 10, 2016 12:01 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I'm glad I'm watching this after I took my Japanese Culture class, which we spend at least half of the course on Heian-kyo and the importance of art and beauty in the daily lives of the aristocrats. The culture of writing poems and sending them with flowers is something to take notice. The first half was really cute, and I guess almost bittersweet. Although they weren't able to stay together, at least they were neither bitter or stuck in the past. Even though it was only half of the episode, it was still engaging imo. Sure people might connect to the characters and/or story if it were longer, but that's not the point of this series (as far as I can tell). We are only given glimpses of these stories and the poems that fit these situations, and it works well. If it was any longer it would be more like many other tales out there, as exemplified in sarroush's post about Narihira being like generic male lover in shoujo manga :P

The second part was sweet too, and the poem is probably on less subtle side in comparison to other poems I've read from the Hyakunin Isshu. The first poem was something I expected from a character who's known for being a good poet during the Heian period, as it included a reference to only he and Takaiko would understand.

The ED's lyrics made me LOL. I liked the piano notes and and melody and even the rapping, but it would be much better if I didn't want to laugh at the lyrics.
May 13, 2017 11:17 AM

Jun 2011
I am only on 9:40 of the first episode and I am already very, very disappointed with this series.

First of all, the voice acting, it's too "modern" for a show that take place in a historical era. It's almost like it's voiced by a bunch of "pretty boiis and pretty grils" with zero talent for voice acting and the only purpose is to sound "omfg so deep so hot / so high pitch so cute".

The art, I dislike the art, I mean, look at the eyes, that slanted downward eyes of Narihira.. ew.

Next is the script, it's very modern as I say.. I don't know Japanese but the speech pattern is closer to the modern era than to whenever the event took place back then, it does try to sound "old" yet it only masks the "modernization". I mean, can we stop with the "-desu" shit? I like that thing in my modern anime, but not in a historical series like this. Please nippon, you can do better.

Next, that lady, wow so strong, didn't even last 8 minutes lmao against a pretty boii. (real time in the show, not even 1 day) So she's sleeping around before she submit herself to the emperor, who, well, probably don't want her anyway since she's already fucked around. Totally brainless.

The art line is also too thick.

Sigh, I was looking forward to this a lot, but I guess I can't expect much from a 2012 anime, can I? The industry is full of talentless hack now. Sigh. Now my night is ruined, while I complete the rest of the series carrying this disappointment that I have for the series. FML I don't have luck with choosing a good anime to watch when I actually have the time for it.

edit: eh, after I finished the episode, I guess I can see what' they're going for.. they're only gonna slightly expand upon the poem from the 100 poems? Not a fan of it to be honest, not only there's no reason to care about the characters, the stories aren't particularly interesting either. The art still bothers me and the ED sucks. :/ I guess I am truly in for some major disappointment.

I suppose there are other folks beside me who's also disappointed with this show. Meh I love Chihayafuru to death, it's beautiful, but that doesn't mean that I'll love anything 100 poems related and whatnot. The producers better put in some effort if they want people to like their works, not riding the coattail of another series. This is an example where execution of story matters.
ToG25thBaamMay 13, 2017 11:33 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 14, 2019 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't know what to expect when starting this anime, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Romantic and nice storytelling.
Oct 12, 2020 7:19 AM
Aug 2019
I didn't know what to expect from this anime since it was in my plan to watch list and it's tag josei plus historical so I tried it out.
So I guess love stories that are based on poems I don't really know much about Japanese poems so I'll just enjoy the ride.
I really like the op and ed.

Jul 2, 2023 7:54 AM

Jan 2021
Narihira has an extreme mouth, the words that come out of his mouth are either too sweet or too harsh lol. It's a bit sad actually, why didn't he really go with Takaiko to elope? But I guess Takaiko is too precious for him so he didn't want to make her living a difficult life.

Out of the two poems I liked the second one the most! The story is also quite sweet. "I feel blessed to have met someone who I cared enough about to spend that effort." hahah! I couldn't stop smiling when I heard that, imagine being so grateful to have met someone that you can say such a sweet thing.

I have to admit it's really romantic. Even though Narihira does seem like a womanizer (especially since his seiyuu is Suwabe Junichi, uhh) but I can't stop giggling. And the moment when Yukihira said "I always have my priorities straight, don't underestimate me" and then did that to his wife~ :"3

This was a good first episode! I hope it will continue to be this good or even more until the end.

Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

50 by puella_magi »»
Jul 5, 2023 1:41 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 24, 2012

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 17, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:59 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 10, 2012

18 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 3, 2012

25 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.