Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 2, 2012 9:58 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Karuta was originally not for karuta game, but love letters for Heian people. lol~~ KajiKaji's character introducing about it is so funny! So he loves love poets, and Karuta's poem was originally love letter.

OP was weird for this kind of anime, ED, too. Though OP was better.

1. A guy is in love with a girl who's dancing among the group. She doesn't like him, but the girl serves her is jealous of her. He suddenly appears at her balcony (wow, persistent). And they made love the next time. They are not made for each other because the girl is destined to marry another guy, but they love each other, so ran away. But failed. The guy serves for her son later. He sang for "Chihayafuru"!! To describe how beauty she is.

2. The girl is wife of a guy, who goes out a lot. He has a brother, who born from richer mother. He has love sick? They have different thoughts, and he cares for him. The wife wanting him to stay, and he agrees. Wife always waits for him patiently. And that brother met the girl from first story 5 years later.

It was informative.

Another love story next ep.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 2, 2012 10:01 AM

Jul 2010
hmmm...unanticipatedly interesting
Jul 2, 2012 3:57 PM

Nov 2007
Yay! My romance dose for Summer is here!

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 2, 2012 5:30 PM

May 2008
I felt that the stories were too short and the characters too under-developed so I couldn't get into it so far.
Jul 3, 2012 5:29 AM

Oct 2011
OP was nice, while ED started to be horrible but than went to be... ok

I like art here... except some facial expressions it was very nice and climatic
for now keeping up with this :)
Jul 3, 2012 5:51 AM

May 2010
i really love the music in this anime..also very interesting.
Jul 3, 2012 5:56 AM

Aug 2011
This was ONE poetic tale? Does this mean this anime will be 100 episodes long? :l

Not sure what to think of it. It's sweet, but I can see myself being bored by it soon.
Jul 3, 2012 6:30 AM

Feb 2011
Possibly my favourite OP of the season (but then again, I've only heard like 4 so far).

The rest of the episode was pretty nice, especially since I really enjoyed Chihayafuru, and that poem was used in this episode.
Jul 3, 2012 7:18 AM

Jun 2008
The_Straw-Hat said:
This was ONE poetic tale? Does this mean this anime will be 100 episodes long? :l

They used two poems, 16 & 17: famous Chihayafuru and

"Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you. " by Ariwara no Yukihira

So basically we can predict that there can be 50 episodes (if they decide to make all poems, not only the ones about love]
Jul 3, 2012 7:21 AM

Jul 2011
I just grinned when I heard the poem from Chihayafuru. XD

Ending sounds out of place for this anime.

Love the opening.

I will put this on hold for now.
Jul 3, 2012 7:32 AM

Jul 2010
I really love the art in this show, and the music was quite nice as well. A show on the 100 poems for Karuta seems like a really interesting premise especially after watching Chihayafuru. 4/5 this show may turn out to be one of my more anticipated shows of the week.
Jul 3, 2012 7:59 AM

Feb 2011
That was... great!
I think it's because of the way this is executed, it's perfect.
Nice BGM too, with an awesome opening.
Jul 3, 2012 8:55 AM

Sep 2011
this anime i was looking forward the most from this season and it didn't disappointed me at all <3
historical romance are always yummy c: <33333
my most anticipated anime of the season so far! :3

which group is gonna sub this anime?
Jul 3, 2012 9:00 AM

Jan 2012
I don't have nothing against a love story. It was rather good. Probably will stick with this one. Also nice to know more about the poems, since I enjoyed Chihayafuru a lot. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 3, 2012 9:17 AM

Apr 2007
Gotta admit, I laughed the second the ending song started. How on earth does SOUL'd OUT fit this show? Not a bad song, just so out of place.

Not a bad show either, just completely not my type with how much I hate romance. The first story made me especially frustrated; I would have smacked that guy so hard and never fallen into his trap ://////////
Jul 3, 2012 9:34 AM

Jan 2010
This was adorable and I can tell it's gonna stay one of my favorites while it airs.

Sarukah said:
I would have smacked that guy so hard and never fallen into his trap ://////////

What "trap?"
NavyCherubJul 3, 2012 9:38 AM
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jul 3, 2012 9:50 AM

Dec 2011
The love in this is real deep. The art is kinda meh but the feeling I got from watching the first ep was amazing. I hope these series won't be too long tho.
Jul 3, 2012 10:03 AM

Apr 2007
NavyCherub said:
This was adorable and I can tell it's gonna stay one of my favorites while it airs.

Sarukah said:
I would have smacked that guy so hard and never fallen into his trap ://////////

What "trap?"

He was just teasing her into being interested in him (which is what happened with her blurting out the thing about her body and then how it progressed from there) rather than sticking with her appropriate first reaction that he was bad news.
Jul 3, 2012 10:18 AM

Jan 2010
Not much of a romantic, I see.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jul 3, 2012 10:36 AM

Dec 2008
I have a feeling this will become one of my favorite romance animes. Its nice to see an anime that delves away from cliches and needless fanservice. Also for those who don't like it, I have to remind them its Josei and for an older/mature audience. ED does feel out of place though. If all the stories to get animated remember only 43 poems were actual tales of romance; i think some were about the seasons too.
Jul 3, 2012 12:22 PM

May 2008
i like it so far hope it doesn't start to bore me later!
Jul 3, 2012 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Not sure what to think of this so far. Having an anime about such a rich part of Japan's culture is really interesting, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure yet that it's suited to the medium either. First part was the better of the two. Found the deformed face comedy a little awkward, didn't really feel right in this kind of storytelling. Overall I liked it though.
Jul 3, 2012 1:09 PM

Feb 2010
That was VERY enjoyable. Romantic<33
Jul 3, 2012 1:25 PM

Jun 2011
I find this anime really hard to connect to because I do not know any of the poems.
I understand that the anime is explaining the meanings of poems. But still, it doesn't mean anything when I don't know the poems...
Jul 3, 2012 1:42 PM
Mar 2011
hikky said:
I felt that the stories were too short and the characters too under-developed so I couldn't get into it so far.
Have to agree, but the first one was generally fine and awesome that they started with the poem from Chihaya's best card.
Jul 3, 2012 2:13 PM

Dec 2011
Honestly it was Chihayafuru that made me really consider this, though I did plan to try it out sometime anyway. I'm glad that it wasn't serious and boring, but something a little refreshing from Fujiwara's intro right at the start. The OP and ED are also good!

For the actual romances, they were enjoyable but the episode wasn't fantastic. I really like the art, though, and nonetheless I will continue to watch the series. It left a good first impression.

Impassionate gods have never seen the red that is the Tatsuta River~
Jul 3, 2012 2:14 PM

Nov 2011
Well this is interesting. It's true half an episode's time is quite short to develop the characters, but I felt it did that quite well in both parts. I doubt all of the 100 poems have interesting stories behind them, and I'm assuming they'll just focus on the more fascinating ones. This one worked because the two stories are somewhat connected, but I'd prefer if they kept to one per episode. But that itself may be hard considering the source of these stories.
Jul 3, 2012 2:35 PM

Oct 2010
Action is my favorite genre but this is the best new show so far.

I think i like it a lot more because its doing my favorite history of japan the Heian period.

It also seems like a Seinen also one of my favorite genre in anime. So no more stupid shy school kids. lol

I liked all the music so far. I just hope it keeps doing this great pace.
Jul 3, 2012 2:38 PM

Apr 2011
Pretty interesting :3
Jul 3, 2012 2:46 PM

Dec 2009
This was weird, but still interesting in a good way. Will continue for now :)

The OP was very good. The ED was utter garbage.

3/5
Jul 3, 2012 3:10 PM

Apr 2007
NavyCherub said:
Not much of a romantic, I see.

Nope, never have been. Its unbelievably rare when there's a couple/romance in an anime that I actually care about.
Jul 3, 2012 3:21 PM

Jul 2010
It appeals to my girlish senses, but it's honestly not that interesting. If the one-episode characters would have more depth, like in Mushishi, I would be able to enjoy it more. Anyway though, this is just a bunch of people loving each other, rather than something more meaningful. Oh well, it'll be fun for a while. I like the poems.

Maybe I'll have to drop it later, but right now I'll keep watching.
Jul 3, 2012 4:59 PM

Jun 2010
It wasn't bad, but there was barely development. They could have spent the whole episode on Narihira x Takaiko, rather moving to his brother.

Overall, I liked the atmosphere...
Jul 3, 2012 6:25 PM

Feb 2012
Chihaya poem! Woot! I'm sure most Chihayafuru fans will watch this simply because of the poems.

As for me i did enjoy this. It has its charm. The meeting between the two brothers gave me a good laugh, although the wacky-ness of the first love story did remove some of the romanticism and serious vibes from it.
The art is nice to look at.

OP was nice. WTF at the ED though. The melody was sort of appropriate but the random rap was very out of place.
Jul 3, 2012 7:28 PM

Jun 2011
Vyudali said:
Chihaya poem! Woot! I'm sure most Chihayafuru fans will watch this simply because of the poems.

I watched this because of Chihayafuru :D
Jul 3, 2012 8:27 PM

Aug 2011
Onigiri_Otaku said:
Vyudali said:

I watched this because of Chihayafuru :D

yeay!me too!!
when i see the woman wearing crimson, i know immediately that chihaya's best card will come out

iSignature

"I specialize in reading manga but don't get how to draw manga at all" -Asaba Yuuki-
Jul 3, 2012 8:42 PM

Aug 2007
In 15 minutes, this episode told a better love story then Twilight.

And yes, the only reason I'm interested was from Chihayafuru. xD
Jul 3, 2012 8:57 PM

Jan 2011
I think Chihayafuru not only built a big chunk of the audience for this show, but probably has created some buzz around the 100 poets and Heian period in general. If this keeps up I'll have to blow off the dust from my copy of The Tale of Genji and actually finish it. I think it will be worth watching just to absorb the culture of court life at that time--although I'll also appreciate the romance since seduction seems to have been one of the major forms of entertainment for both men and women in the Heian period.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 3, 2012 10:18 PM

Jan 2011
So little people watching this o.o

Well, I liked the visuals and music.

Gonna keep watching because of this.

The story and comedy weren't that great.

I give a 3.
Jul 3, 2012 10:37 PM

May 2012
Interesting story.. and the ED is indeed out of place but still catchy..
the poems reminds me of Chihayafuru *smiles*

rebelakumaJul 3, 2012 10:47 PM
Jul 3, 2012 11:05 PM

May 2010
Not for me, just not my thing will pass on this one.

3/5
Jul 3, 2012 11:59 PM
Jul 2011
The_Straw-Hat said:

Not sure what to think of it. It's sweet, but I can see myself being bored by it soon.

Nope, on the 1rst ep it says that it will have 43 poems. The 1rst ep had like 3-4 poems already. Possibly a 12 ep anime.
Jul 4, 2012 3:47 AM

Dec 2010
First half I thought this would be an annoying fangirl pandering with smooth bishies everywhere, but the second half with its teasing part realy made up for it. That was pretty good.
Jul 4, 2012 4:06 AM

Feb 2011
This is pretty interesting. Didn't expect much, but I've been interested in Karuta ever since two seasons ago.
Jul 4, 2012 4:12 AM

May 2010
This is better than I thought it would be.Plus the ending & opening songs are pretty good even though they don't suit the series at all.
Jul 4, 2012 6:23 AM

Dec 2007
I have to say, learning a little about japanese poetry in university has paid off a little :D
I started translating those poems on my own and compared them to the interpretation presented, and HOLY CRAP IS THAT AWESOME XD But I think you're missing half the fun if you do not understand the language connotations there by yourself ^_^

Like in the "tachi wakare" poem, the guy in the second part uses "inaba no yama no mine ni ofuru matsu to shi kikaba ima kaerikomu". "inaba no yama no mine ni ofuru" means just "growing/sprouting on the peak of mount Inaba" and "kikaba ima kaerikomu" means "If I hear (you), I will return right away".

The fun part is in the middle. See, the "matsu" could mean either "to wait" or "a pine tree". What this guy did, was to make two words into a single one and made it so that it doesn't make sense if you don't read/see/know both meanings. "Pines" being the logical follow up to "sprouting" and the reason for "to shi" comparison (which isn't really a comparison, but whatever), and without "waiting" you'd get "Like the pines I'd return" or "Like the pines I have to leave" or something like that. Which makes little sense now, doesn't it?

So yes, this means "I will wait like the pines growing on the peak of mount Inaba", but "the pines" and "I will wait" are actually a single word there with two meanings ^_^

The way Narihisa actually alluded to Takaiko's body - "Even gods haven't heard of the water that flows in the crimson of Tatsuta river" Is also a pure genius material :D

In the mentioned university I had a professor (though he only had a doctorate... don't know the correct word, because "doctor" - is what we call them here - doesn't sound right... or am I wrong?) who always said that "Japanese poetry is something weird, he doesn't get it, and they clearly must've been crazy when they were writing it" and always laughed it off, but damn if this isn't brilliant example of Japanese language :D

Sorry about my ramblings here, it's just that I'm amazed at the level of that poetry ^_^ I will definitely keep watching this.

PS: Also, I love the fact that everyone is discussing animation, character development, music, plot etc. And I'm the only one so far that gets off of the actual poems that started it all :D
MauroxJul 4, 2012 7:34 AM

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jul 4, 2012 7:49 AM

May 2010
I initially, like most others, only got into this because of Chihayafuru. However, the Hyakunin Isshu does sound interesting to explore, even in a liberal interpretation of classic poems.

To those complaining about lack of character depth compared to Mushishi: those stories had double the amount of time to work with their material than Utakoi. What I like about Utakoi is that while the characters are simple, I could easily attach to them and the romances are actually much less juvenile and more heartfelt than most other anime titles out there. I easily attached to the second poem due to personal reasons, but the presentation of both stories got me attached and the art was just plain ol' gorgeous. The ED was out of place and stupid, and this will probably be the first one I skip for any anime in awhile.

Needless to say, I don't understand the language, so I can't understand the translation of the original poems, but this is easily something I can have fun analyzing alongside fellow viewers who know the language/poems.

tl;dr: Easily the dark horse of the season. Looking forward to it from here on.
Jul 4, 2012 9:25 AM

Dec 2007
To those complaining about lack of character depth compared to Mushishi: those stories had double the amount of time to work with their material than Utakoi.

That. Keep in mind, that the poems you heard were presented in their entirety, and from what I know, all additional info was based upon some chronicles probably. (this is another reason why I like the Chihayafuru poem; If you didn't know history, you'd really think that he was talking about autumn scenery :) ) Taking into account that the Heian period lasted roughly from 800 until 1200 AD, it's obvious that
1) The studio will have to make up some of the story
2) The show will be more focused on actual poetry, not on the character development which will be... well, nonexistant pretty much. It's not about epic and dramatic love stories, it's about showing you the background for the poetry. You know, a little bit of culture in an easy to swallow pill.

And I agree with Pensuke that the stories despite being underdeveloped are actually pretty easy to connect with, what with being much more mature. Again, keep in mind this is the actual culture from Heian era (minus some liberties like the language being spoken). They really were leading a pretty loose sexual life, with men sneaking into women's estates at night and so on - which by the way brought about the downfall of Heian-kyo (capital) and the whole period, because while they were screwing each other around and writing their poetry, outside of capital there were bandit raids, rebellions and so on... Well aristocracy didn't really care, they were busy choosing the color of the paper on which they were supposed to write a letter, thanking the other party for a wonderful last night and choosing which flower should go with it (and this was serious business back then, trust me) :]
Of course Emperor was a different story altogether, but that's pretty obvious.

Jul 4, 2012 9:28 AM

Jan 2011
Maurox said:
I have to say, learning a little about japanese poetry in university has paid off a little :D
I started translating those poems on my own and compared them to the interpretation presented, and HOLY CRAP IS THAT AWESOME XD But I think you're missing half the fun if you do not understand the language connotations there by yourself ^_^

Like in the "tachi wakare" poem, the guy in the second part uses "inaba no yama no mine ni ofuru matsu to shi kikaba ima kaerikomu". "inaba no yama no mine ni ofuru" means just "growing/sprouting on the peak of mount Inaba" and "kikaba ima kaerikomu" means "If I hear (you), I will return right away".

The fun part is in the middle. See, the "matsu" could mean either "to wait" or "a pine tree". What this guy did, was to make two words into a single one and made it so that it doesn't make sense if you don't read/see/know both meanings. "Pines" being the logical follow up to "sprouting" and the reason for "to shi" comparison (which isn't really a comparison, but whatever), and without "waiting" you'd get "Like the pines I'd return" or "Like the pines I have to leave" or something like that. Which makes little sense now, doesn't it?

So yes, this means "I will wait like the pines growing on the peak of mount Inaba", but "the pines" and "I will wait" are actually a single word there with two meanings ^_^

The way Narihisa actually alluded to Takaiko's body - "Even gods haven't heard of the water that flows in the crimson of Tatsuta river" Is also a pure genius material :D

In the mentioned university I had a professor (though he only had a doctorate... don't know the correct word, because "doctor" - is what we call them here - doesn't sound right... or am I wrong?) who always said that "Japanese poetry is something weird, he doesn't get it, and they clearly must've been crazy when they were writing it" and always laughed it off, but damn if this isn't brilliant example of Japanese language :D

Sorry about my ramblings here, it's just that I'm amazed at the level of that poetry ^_^ I will definitely keep watching this.

PS: Also, I love the fact that everyone is discussing animation, character development, music, plot etc. And I'm the only one so far that gets off of the actual poems that started it all :D

That was very informative, thanks ^^
Jul 4, 2012 10:01 AM

Dec 2007
No problem. I can try and post similar interpretations with future episodes if I find something interesting like that again.

BTW, did HS explain what was the "Namu Amida Butsu"? I didn't notice the TL Note >_>
In case they didn't:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

50 by puella_magi »»
Jul 5, 2023 1:41 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 24, 2012

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 17, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:59 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 10, 2012

18 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 3, 2012

25 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.