Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 7, 2012 2:01 AM

Apr 2011
WOW! Mad Oreki is more seriously than usual!

Somehow short episode - too much screaming, too few answers. I hope that we will get the answer next time. I really want to know why she attacked him.

I wonder...
Who is the "orange" person on the chat? Is she really Oreki's sister?
Jul 7, 2012 7:00 PM

Jun 2009
.... And my brother, who watched this before me, said that the episode sucked... And I delay my watching till now..

Why do I even trust the guy, he is a shonen watcher and he loved Guilty Crown.(As oppose to myself)

(He dismiss the whole, "I scream" chapter one to be boring as well, shoul've figured then.)

It's a shame he can't see the beauty of this show. He's more interested in the "EPIC" scene over characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2012 1:46 AM

Feb 2011
s2012k1993 said:
Melodrama over a simple school movie project? What's the point if one could have asked Hongou? I think this episode lays bare the central conflict over this arc: the importance of intentions. Let me explain.

Irisu convinces Houtarou to solve this mystery because he is the best detective in the school. Houtarou is tricked into believing Irisu chose him because he can best solve this dilemma class 2F is in. Irisu never lies; after all, Houtarou is probably the best person to solve this mystery. Houtarou solves this mystery using the facts given to him (i.e. the movie). Now, when Houtarou gets angry, it's because he realizes that these were never Irisu's intentions. Irisu led him to believe that her intentions were for him to solve the script, when in fact, she wanted someone to write a better script. Why? Because she wanted the movie to be a success, she put the success of the movie over the intentions of the scriptwriter, Hongou.

Now, as an analogy, imagine a politician preaching to a community about the virtues of donating their services. Upon hearing the speech, one would come under the impression that the politician is a kindly and generous fellow. What if the politician just spoke as such because he wanted your support in the upcoming elections. We are led to believe that the politician cares about each one of us, when in fact, the politician only sees each person as a possible vote. Now, who would not be raging when they find out the true intentions of the politician.

What the remaining members of the Classics Club push Houtarou to realize is the importance of Hongou's intentions over the correct solution to the script. This is what brings Houtarou to realize Irisu's real intentions. No wonder Houtarou feels unspeakable rage over not only how she misled him in his belief of her true intentions but also how she played with his emotions during the process.

Irisu, on the other hand, doesn't really care that she bullshit Houtarou. With a task ahead of her, she did everything she can to produce the best results. The chat between Irisu and Houtarou's sister is enlightening for this very reason. Irisu finally seems to have realized how contradictory her actions her. The point of the school movie project was really for everyone to have a good time. By believing that the point was for the movie to be a success, she failed to achieve the true goal. Everything comes to bit her back. Hence, the final phrase of each episode of this arc makes sense. Why didn't she ask Eba? Irisu didn't wish to reveal her true, but incorrect, intentions. In hindsight, it makes sense she should have revealed them to Eba, the one closest to Hongou (if not Hongou). Therefore, Irisu would have realized that the success of the movie comes second to the happiness of her classmates and would have never had to pursue her intentions using bullshit.

This arc and the first both seem to repeatedly hit Hyouka's central theme: discovering intentions. In the first arc, we find out Chitanda's uncle's true intentions; in this arc, Hongou's true intentions. In both arcs, the victims are portrayed as unlucky heroes because of the manipulation of intentions.

For those interested, I am using Harry Frankfurt definition of bullshit in his book, "On Bullshit."

This helped alot , thank you.
Jul 8, 2012 6:11 PM

Aug 2011
I also thought it was pretty obvious that the "sempai" was Oreki's sister, but I guess we'll never really know for sure.

This was a pretty good arc, it had me interested the whole time and brought up some interesting points.
Jul 9, 2012 2:32 PM

Sep 2010
There's definitely some weird air in this show now, I think it became even worse when it became clear that Irisu-senpai did some weird things out there. Hoping it gets better, not only the air but also the story that seems to be lacking some bit.
Jul 9, 2012 4:09 PM

Apr 2011
I love how this anime just makes me think of a solution for every little riddle they're trying to solve cx
Jul 9, 2012 5:43 PM

Oct 2010
What bothered me was how pissed the other two got. I mean, sure, Oreki should have went to the group and told them of the ending he thought of but their reactions made me go "Geez, what the hell? He messed up. So what?"

And I also think orange is Oreki's sister and I don't think she's too happy that her little brother was used like that by Irisu and how she treated Hongou.
Jul 11, 2012 1:39 AM

Jul 2010
It really anoys me how Satoshi (and Ibara) react when they concluded that the ending Oreika thought of was wrong, like they're accusing him of being wrong while they couldn't figure it out at all themselves. They should've been more tactful and thankful he even wanted to think about it, they'r acting a bit too rude and ungrateful.

Edit: after seeing the school festival arc I kind of understand Satoshi better, as to why he would react like this, but it still doesn't completely justify his reaction.
Animefanx3Mar 12, 2013 9:54 AM
Jul 12, 2012 3:18 AM

May 2011
Wow, that was just absolutely.... brilliant! I have never been so taken back by a mystery story such as this. I was impressed!
Jul 16, 2012 7:28 PM
Mar 2010
-MgZ_ said:
That was just.... shocking. Irisu what have you done?! Im really disappointed at Ibara, Satoshi and Eru at the first half. They just blamed Oreki because they overestimated him. It's not like they can come up with a better idea :/

Nothing really much to say. That drama is too much drama. Didn't expect Hyouka to do this. I mean... Bah.

Anyways, can somebody translate that whole chat with Irisu and whoever that is? Any idea who that is? She called him/her "senpai" so I guess it's Houtaro's sister? Or no.
yes it was Houtarou-s sister coz she said "that idiot".. and who else could say such thing to Houtarou.. his sister:D and that style of writing really resembles his sister's speaking stlye on the phone. and one more irisu said" on the other side of the world" so she has to be reaaaaaaaaly far away. so ye it makes sense if that was her sister.no it had to be her sister.
acsihaxJul 16, 2012 7:33 PM
Jul 27, 2012 2:13 AM

May 2012
Brilliant deduction work.
Aug 1, 2012 10:35 PM

May 2010
In short, nothing happened...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 9, 2012 5:16 AM

Dec 2011
honestly i have no idea where this anime is going still but it was a good episode
Aug 20, 2012 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
Yet again, Oreki scares me at how perceptive he is. I felt bad for him at the start because it felt like everyone was ganging up against him but they were right and it's the first time I saw Oreki shaken up like that. But, of course, he was still able to face and own up to his mistake (Which is something I can't and find hard to do) and actually solve the "deeper" mystery. It was a good episode overall. I think we are all witnesses to Oreki's growth these past few episodes. Well done, Oreki ★

[G]areki && [G]oggles && [G]uns are
[© Touya Mikanagi || respectful creators]

Sep 26, 2012 12:27 PM

Sep 2011
And this is the turning point for me. Its getting pretty good, not going to lie, but hopefully they can it up. xD
Oct 10, 2012 6:02 AM

May 2012
Decent ending and I hope this arch has finished now wasn't a to good story imo oh well up to the ova! than to episode12!
Oct 17, 2012 8:14 AM

Nov 2009
Chitanda's friend is a pretty big bitch, not gonna lie. Don't know exactly who she was talking to, all it said on the chat room was something like Atashi, couldn't read her name (assuming she was the purple and not the orange), anyways weird that she couldn't let this project fail... Also why exactly are they wasting their time with this, don't they have to write an anthology with only 4 people, pretty sure that won't be the easiest thing in the world.
Oct 17, 2012 8:49 AM

May 2011
Can anyone tell me the name of the BGM that is usually played when Oreki is explaining? I couldn'r find it yet.
Oct 20, 2012 1:07 PM

Aug 2010
Wow, that was intense! Have never seen Houtarou showed such strong emotions before! Well since it involved his own thoughts about himself, I guess it is understandable. Man, that description of Irisu from the tarot cards "The Empress" is really a hint to her personality and motives! Like the others I also thought it was weird that they cannot just contact the writer (forgot her name) and ask her for the ending.

Yeah I am also guessing that the person whose username is "it's me" and whose text is in orange colour is Houtarou's sister. And she's spot-on on Irisu's personality it seems.

I felt kind of sad for Houtarou in this episode, because three people sort of criticised his deduction (it's like triple whammy). But I believe close friends should criticise each other, so I know that they do not have the intention to make Houtarou felt bad. Considerate of them to tell Houtarou one-on-one as well, though of course that did not lessen the impact they criticisms have on Houtarou.
blue-yOct 20, 2012 1:14 PM
Nov 8, 2012 1:40 AM

Jan 2012
All this is episode got me angry there was like waaay to much tension and blame on Oreki, felt really sorry for him, and he spent the entire episode beating himself up :/ I just thought it all went too far for a fun mystery show, hope it doesn't do it again in the next arc, went a bit TOO serious for me here....
Nov 9, 2012 1:33 PM

Jun 2011
It hit me hard when Irisu said that it was not what she thought when she said that at that time.. Poor Houtarou.. Mystery wasn't that good but the character development is really great :D Foreshadowed more drama coming up
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 10, 2012 10:46 PM
Nov 2012
Does anyone know the background music when Oreki and Chitanda were talking on the riverside? Thanks! :)
Nov 19, 2012 3:00 PM

Sep 2011
Man I felt so sorry Oreki :/

The senpai the 'Empress' (I don't remember her name) was talking to was probably Oreki's sister. After all she IS on the other side of the world, and it makes sense since she is older than the girl.
Dec 27, 2012 6:01 AM
Mar 2009
Well, the whole "nobody dies" thing explains the low amount of blood, and Oreki found a way to work in the rope as well... fairly sweet way to wrap it up.

Still leaves a lot of questions thru teh chat but I guess it might be explained in the bonus episode (11.5), I'll have to see later.
Jan 25, 2013 2:52 AM
Dec 2012
I'm surprised at the ending Hongou-san wanted O.O
Mar 27, 2013 12:57 PM
Aug 2012
is chitanda the one who called oreki an idiot on the chat room?
Apr 5, 2013 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode.
A bit dramatic though, getting too worked up
Apr 22, 2013 8:54 AM

Jan 2011
this ep was very annoying, so much drama for some little school movie :/
May 14, 2013 8:49 AM

Dec 2012
silversaint said:
this ep was very annoying, so much drama for some little school movie :/

My thoughts exactly.
May 14, 2013 11:56 PM

Nov 2008
Yes I hate Irisu but I'm also pissed off at Oreki's sister! She has been using her brother since the start of the series. It's like no one in this anime knows how to ask for help or anything else in a direct manner and they end up using roundabout ways to achieve their goals even if they have to hurt others.
FF-FANATICSep 29, 2013 5:25 AM
Jun 17, 2013 8:28 PM

Feb 2012
The heck with that useless drama? Overreacting much?

Whatever, he fixed his mistake.
Jun 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

For now I just say that I liked the episode! XD

EDIT: Mystery that reveals a bit also the character of the writer, I liked how the director has moved, Irisu he played his part with dignity, even the good construction of the misunderstanding, who will be the interlocutor with whom he interacted Irisu? I think I know who it was. Narration different from the usual, and always fabulous designs. I am satisfied.
terrablu2003Jun 19, 2013 8:15 AM
Jun 25, 2013 3:29 AM

Sep 2012
Honestly, this arc is boring. Extremely so.

If this anime wasn't 22 eps. I'd have dropped it right at the start of this route for pulling this crap.
Jul 25, 2013 7:12 AM

Jan 2012
Whoah, that shocked me. As people have guessed on this thread, i'm totally thinking that the orange text was his sister. Whom else would recommend Oreki from outside the school? Bearing in mind she could her 'Senpai'... Though, It does mean that Fuyumi must've known his sister via outside school to, if i remember correctly, they couldn't be at school at the same time span :/
Anyways, school festival time!!! XD
Sep 25, 2013 11:10 AM

Oct 2009
I kinda had a feeling last ep that Irisu was up to something, rather disappointed by Satoshi behavior. I also think "senpai" is Oreki's sister.
Oct 13, 2013 11:13 AM

Oct 2013
I actually really liked this arc. Since the original Hyouka mystery, I had gotten bored with the series as it went back to the "Houtarou solves mystery" formula and the characters didn't expand much. I found it pretty dull despite the fanservice episode. I hardly love the series (something about the pacing feels off, maybe?) but it's nice to see Houtarou going through some oscillations between coming into his own as a detective and then having his vision of himself shattered again. He seems more human that he can get his hopes up, show a range of emotions.

I'll offer a quick theory on how dramatic Satoshi was: the jealousy is definitely there, but what about Houtarou's feelings after getting chewed out by Mayaka (totally in character for her in intensity and brazenness to confront him)? He was probably feeling pretty down, so Satoshi's drama might be a bit overdone to emphasize the way that Houtarou feels about the situation, more than Satoshi actually being that rude about it. IDK. I'm glad that, one way or another, even if there was a bit of OOC, that Houtarou matured a bit as a character without fundamentally changing himself by the end of the arc and thus changing the whole tone of the series from here out JUST YET. Good episode, good arc.
Nov 9, 2013 1:45 PM

May 2011
This felt oddly forced/way too dramatic in my opinion. Definitely didn't expect Oreki to lose his cool like that. It just seemed really overdone. Though the twist was pretty interesting, so that makes it one of the better episodes, I suppose.
Nov 16, 2013 4:19 AM

Oct 2013
well shit. Hid theory down the drain.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 25, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2012
Good ending. I always love Oreki's theories.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Jan 1, 2014 4:27 AM

Jun 2013
PROBLEM:
Oreki just focused on one question, "How will the movie will end?" because the movie was incomplete. However, he, unintentionally, forgot the original writer's script and desire. So he messed up.

I was very disappointed to his friends, especially Satoshi. It's okay to criticize, but it was unfair that Satoshi shouted Oreki like that, considering it's not easy to analyze. I mean, c'mon we're not perfect. Even Einstein had many failures. I think Satoshi was jealous to Oreki, and it was obvious from his reaction - especially to the last episode: "Though I'm jealous.".

Seems like I'm affected.

Well, it was Irisu's fault. When I saw that girl from episode 8, I sensed that she hid a secret. Well, I was right. She simply did not like Hongou's script. That's why she made an action that couldn't hurt the writer's feeling. In short, she lied. Good thing our brilliant Oreki figured it out, although he had that stupid problem.

Chitanda liked happy endings. So did Hongou.

I was happy that Oreki had managed to think very well, despite of his mistake. That proves that Oreki could be a detective someday. It's obvious he was very special and had potentials.
Jan 14, 2014 11:39 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, everyone is giving Oreki the cold shoulder in the beginning even though he solve it all by himself. So he has a weakness in here where he is frustrated that nothing adds up to the film, and didn't add Hongou's "Narrative Trick" story. Well it all ends where Irisu just pull some strings about Hongou's script which feels lame, and make it into a different story.

Well it all wraps up, where Chitanda and Oreki sharing their views on the movie's perfect ending.

Feb 28, 2014 7:27 PM

Jul 2013
I'm kinda mad that the whole gang were mad, and starts blaming Oreki. I mean, come one! And the drama....totally unnecessary
Mar 8, 2014 7:59 PM

Dec 2008
I also believe the rest of the club were way over-the-top. Well, except Chitanda, at least she was polite when she gave her opinion, but Ibara's and Satoshi's behaviors towards Oreki really made me mad. Although for some reason I'm not surprised at Satoshi's reaction; maybe it's because I believe he's jealous of Oreki.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this arc very much. I still felt sad in the end because it seemed to me like Oreki lost faith in himself. I really think he has talents for being a detective; he's young and needs more experience, that's all.
Mar 24, 2014 5:46 PM

Aug 2013
Ouch, that episode was hard to watch. Houtarou newly found pride have really been hitted from all side...

So in the end, he was wrong all along the line. There wasn't anyone supposed to be killed, the cameraman wasn't supposed to be a character and the rope was supposed to be the main part for the trick. I must say that I was a bit skeptic about the cameraman being a character because for me it seemed more like bad acting than anything else, but Houtarou was so persuasive so I buyed it.

What the senpai did was really cruel. She didn't hurted her friend, but in the end, she hurted a guy she barely know. That was a cheap shot.

That ending scene was so awkward. The way Chitanda knew that he wasn't feeling so well after being told few days after that the senpai was lying.

That tarot card hint was nice :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 9, 2014 12:07 AM
Jul 2010
Wow, I thought this was outright bad. The characters were entirely abnormal and unbelievable and motivations and reasoning behind all the plotting and schemes non-existent to inexplicable. The plot totally felt apart.
May 14, 2014 2:27 PM
Jan 2012
Hmm... looking back, I think this was a pretty good arc.
It has a very bitter feeling and a bad end feel, but I think it's quite good as a mystery plot with several twists. Some people in the forum are probably not paying enough attention and have completely missed the plot.

I feel the comments here are quite unjustly harsh when the good thing and the originality about Hyouka is that bitterness.

No one here is outright good or totally in control (except Hotaro's elderly sister "it's me" on chat). Irisu uses Hotaru in order to save the film project ending up falling apart, under the pretext that scriptwriter has become sick; she isn't quite an Empress pulling the strings as her true intentions were already known to the Hotaru's elder sister. The guys involved in the film project were not necessarily bad people but were inconsiderate by pushing the responsibility to the scriptwriter; the scriptwriter in turn isn't also a total goody because she was stubbornly insisting on her part that no one dies when others wanted more to be dead. The stupid theories proposed by the people involved are actually nothing but clues about the dodgy and inconsiderate relationship inside the films club while portraying that this wasn't a fault of any wicked and evil intention.

Good-natured Chitanda Eru gives us some relief in the end by not trying to "solve" a trick as a "detective" but sympathizing with the scriptwriter's wish that no one is murdered (perhaps because of the hidden affection of the survivor towards the attacker).

Hyouka deals with the issue of realizing one's own quality (or banality) and friendship (with inescapable aspect of jealousy) during one's maturing age; "teenage youth is not only sweet but bitter" (as the promotion slogan says).

I think Hyouka and this arc is pretty good; it sorts of grows on you.

GohanwaOkazuMay 14, 2014 2:34 PM
Jun 23, 2014 7:36 PM

Jul 2009
So nobody liked Houtarou's theory eh ... I suppose they each had their own reasons. Mayaka noticed the missing rope, Fukube said it didn't fit with Hongou's writing, and even Chitanda didn't like it. Things escalated pretty quickly ... another meeting with Irisu and man, Houtarou kinda exploded didn't he? Quite the change from his normal stoic self :O I wonder who she was chatting to? Seems like another senpai who knew she just didn't like the script and that's why she wanted to change it ... we get another kind of explanation if Kaitou didn't die, but I guess what Hongou really wanted will never be revealed eh D:
Also it seems the words at the end really make sense now. I haven't really noticed them in earlier episodes, but "why didn't she ask Eba?" seems like a pretty good question. I suppose I'll have to pay more attention to them from now on :P
Aug 27, 2014 1:37 AM

Aug 2009
spartan112g said:
I'm going with the "senpai" being Oreki's sister. It seems like it works with the "half-way around the world" idea and who else would have recommended Oreki to her.

makes sense

i wonder what the cut-off arm is then, o well, moving on to next
Nov 26, 2014 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
sirhcnil said:
spartan112g said:
I'm going with the "senpai" being Oreki's sister. It seems like it works with the "half-way around the world" idea and who else would have recommended Oreki to her.

makes sense

i wonder what the cut-off arm is then, o well, moving on to next

I think the cut-off arm is part of the thing where the actors were kind of improvising and going over the top like they mentioned somewhere in the episode. Remember there wasn't supposed to be much blood but the guy made lots more way. The actors were probably trying to make the murder scene more dramatic but were misunderstanding the fact that it wasn't supposed to be a murder scene in the first place.
May 20, 2015 12:54 AM

Jul 2008
redd530 said:
-MgZ_ said:
Anyways, can somebody translate that whole chat with Irisu and whoever that is? Any idea who that is? She called him/her "senpai" so I guess it's Houtaro's sister? Or no.

It is Hotarou's sister.
Tomoe-neesan basically said that Irisu didn't actually want to help anyone but herself. Irisu thinks that Hongou's script was trash (Remember Hotarou also said that Irisu does not care for those who doesn't have talents) and she wants to have somebody else to finish it, thus trying to lie to everyone and the Oreki siblings.

That hit Irisu pretty hard and tries to defend herself, but Tomoe-neesan already logged out.

Agree with you there. Sums up everything I felt about her.

However this episode pissed me off for a different reason, the rest of the club pretty much berated Houtarou with back-handed compliments and how he was wrong. Well where the hell were the rest of you trying to help figure the mystery out?!?!

You guys just left him alone to do all the work as usual and never checked with him and then you all get high and mighty about how wrong it was. I would have unloaded on all of them if I was Houtarou.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.