Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 26, 2013 8:03 AM

Sep 2008
ChronosXIII said:
Lol, Topless...she took that literally.

lol yeah :D
~_~ !
Jun 15, 2013 2:37 AM

Jan 2013
Hell yeah Inazuma Kick!
Dec 25, 2013 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
Suspension of disbelief aside, that was damn fun
Dec 29, 2013 5:55 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, dat animation.

Action was awesome so far. "Topless". What a weird team name lol. I do admire Nono's spirit quite a bit though for her actions and bravery in the second half of the episode. Not bad so far overall.
Jan 23, 2014 6:10 PM

Nov 2012
Annoying as hell.
Feb 22, 2014 11:47 PM

Aug 2013
Topless, literally lmao. Still chuckling at Nono ripping her shirt off. Noriko's ripped shirt was more awesome though.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 1, 2014 9:40 AM

Sep 2013
NONO BECAME TOPLESS TOO

I think I'm enjoying this and Gunbuster more than I should

I do agree that Noriko was the original topless though

Still not bad Nono, not bad at all
Apr 14, 2014 7:19 PM

Apr 2013
Hahah this was fun. That girl is so silly but so powerfull. Gotta love the ending song.
Jun 18, 2014 12:26 PM

Jan 2011
Man I just love character design in this show. It's so AWESOME.
Can't help thinking of Kitsurubami every time I see Larc though.
Jul 9, 2014 10:20 AM

May 2012
Pretty interesting start of this second season, however this reminds me more of FLCL and TTGL rather than gunbuster. It's interesting, just a bid sad that the quality of the atmosphere of this anime isn't as good as the prequel. 

Either way let's see what this sequel will offer us!
Jul 9, 2014 4:50 PM

Oct 2013
dam this is good seems like its going to be way better than the prequel how is this a sequel ? Im so confused it was nothing like gunbuster
[/quote]
Aug 20, 2014 9:24 PM

Feb 2008
I wish this wasn't related to Gunbuster and was something on its own. I would have liked it way more. But I can't just ignore how they went from science to "magic". The only thing that made this less enjoyable is just the fact that it's Aim for the Top. If it wasn't, it would be way more awesome.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 11, 2014 12:42 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
ZetaZaku said:
I wish this wasn't related to Gunbuster and was something on its own. I would have liked it way more. But I can't just ignore how they went from science to "magic". The only thing that made this less enjoyable is just the fact that it's Aim for the Top. If it wasn't, it would be way more awesome.

I feel exactly the same way. The best part about Gunbuster 1 was all the theory and sci-fi behind the use of mechas. There isn't any of that here. It doesn't feel like the two series share anything in common aside from GAINAX. And unlike in Gunbuster 1 I see no reason as to why Nono had to just shred her top off other than to be overly flashy and for a joke.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Oct 11, 2014 9:18 PM
Oct 2014
naikou said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a killer first episode. It's awesome to go from high quality production values for the 80's to high quality production values by current standards. Also, Nono pretty much rocks socks. Being able to split an apple perfectly in half is a cool enough ability by itself.

I'm digging this art style, too. Can't wait to see more.
what website did u watch the first episode on????
May 4, 2016 1:59 PM

Dec 2014
I didn't like it all that much tbh. It felt more like FLCL than Gunbuster and I wasn't a big fan of FLCL either. I don't even know how this is even related to Gunbuster just based on this first episode at least. Though pulling your tits out and going kick a giant space monsters ass was kinda cool.
Jul 23, 2016 1:03 PM

Sep 2015
It's too early to say this but I think I like Diebuster more than Gunbuster. It's an unfair statement, there's a huge difference in time between the two OVAs. So naturally for someone who loves spectacle this would have an appeal the original would be lacking. But its story (or at least premise) also feels a little less formulaic to me. I remember how the first episode of Gunbuster dealt with Noriko's training in a very sports movie montage way. Here we forego such humble beginnings, and jump right into one of our leads Lal'C riding a kaijuu into the stratosphere a la Pacific Rim while this series heroine Nono clings on for dear life.

If one complaint can be levied against it, it's the same as the first series rampant ecchi and fanservice. While Gunbuster at least gave us a pretty toned down first episode, Diebusters opening has an uncomfortable scene of robot grunts violating Nono in a bar she's working at. And the climax features an eager Nono misinterpreting the meaning of Lal'Cs race the Topless and rending her top during the big fight. The scene is reminiscent of the ending to Gunbuster presumably deliberately. But if the first episode is already so unabashedly cheesecake I'm a little weary of where this series will take us.

Still this episode filled me with great elation, I can easily see this entering among my favorite Gainax series. Depending on how connected it really is to Gunbuster maybe taking it up with it. There's something exciting to me about seeing the FLCL team, giving us a sci fi future where humans live on Mars. The vibrant orange sky, and arid desert surroundings are beautifully realized in the backgrounds. The aforementioned stratosphere ride at the ending particularly utilized this fresh setting and the shot of Dix-Neuf Lal'Cs Buster struggling with the strain of the atmosphere sticks with me.

One thing I hope is adequately explained by the end is the nature of our heroine Nono. She seems to worship an old hero named No No Ri Ri who we can only assume is Noriko her real name clouded over so much time. Is there a deeper connection between the two of them? Also is there a reason she survived in space under conditions that would kill most people? Or is it just anime playing fast and loose with reality? I'm cool with either, I'm just excited to take this ride.
Sep 14, 2016 10:35 AM

Feb 2015
At the moment, everything looks so simple even though its supposed to be the year 14000 something, I wonder if Noriko will make an appearance.

The part where she ripped out her top was... eh? but I'm going to assume they were hinting at what Noriko did in the Gunbuster finale which was also... eh? but I'll look past that.

Still the art and action is nice.
Dec 1, 2016 1:54 PM

Aug 2014
Shit, and I thought the original Gunbuster was over the top? This is on a whole new level.
I have no clue what just transpired in this episode but I'll continue watching, although there's a strong possibility that I might ended up hating this if it ends being random nonsense like FLCL.

From the moment I heard Lal'C's voice, I already fell in love with her (Maaya Sakamoto ftw!). Nono's character on the other hand, leaves much to be desired.
KashKetchumDec 1, 2016 2:05 PM
Dec 6, 2017 3:41 PM

Nov 2017
Feels very hollow compared to Gunbuster. Not really digging the characters or the animation, but some of the action is cool to watch. I really hope the series gets better than this.
Nov 28, 2018 7:56 AM

May 2013
Wow, she just ripped her top off didn't she? And then full on kicked a whole alien, lol.
May 17, 2019 6:51 AM

Jul 2016
This feels like an 80's cheesy movie, like the Karate Kid
May 17, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2016
In fact, this might be the cheesiest Anime I have seen.
May 17, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2016
Anyways, 5/5 - very entertaining episode, nice character designs and some good characters.
Jun 6, 2019 3:32 AM

Sep 2013
Not terrible, but it didn't feel like a sequel or even a spin-off of Gunbuster.

3/5

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 4, 2019 2:20 AM

Aug 2017
Nono-riri? Is this our good old Noriko from Gunbuster?
Jan 5, 2020 1:29 PM
Dec 2019
She has sexy feet. That kick was really sexy
Jan 5, 2020 3:06 PM

Mar 2017
Well that was a shock to the system coming straight from the original series. Can't say I like it as much, but it was certainly an entertaining first episode. Enjoyable in a completely different way.

I find the MC pretty damn annoying as of now.. let's see if she grows on me.
bingamu85Jan 5, 2020 3:12 PM
Mar 23, 2020 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
As soon as Topless was mentioned, I knew they would call out the nudity of Gunbuster. But the reference went even deeper.
But shame on that girl for kicking the dog like that.
May 2, 2021 9:01 PM

Feb 2017
Going Topless very much like Gunbuster was a nice callback, same with the lightning kick.

Big fan of the art style, it's like a beautiful fusion between Gunbuster and FLCL.
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Apr 20, 2022 4:24 PM

Dec 2018
yeah big flcl feel from this, such a stark contrast after watching gunbuster
don't know how i feel and what is she some kind of android?
Jul 1, 2022 11:27 AM

Feb 2021
This was really made in 2004?
Sep 14, 2022 12:59 PM

Nov 2015
No words, pretty good.
Oct 4, 2022 12:38 AM

Aug 2018
Begin the 4th time through this excellent series.
May 28, 2023 1:48 PM
Aug 2022
Loved this, Nono's a really fun character to watch and the animation is on point for late era Gainax. 
Oct 4, 2023 3:26 PM
Feb 2020
I kinda have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand the animation is superb and the characters are likeable.

But on the other this feels a bit odd. The OG Gunbuster despite having giant mechs fighting giant alien bugs IN SPACE! Felt very grounded, especially when it came to the characters both when it came to their actions and appearance.

Here, they both act and look like typical anime characters, with exaggerated movement , facial expressions and colorful hair (granted in the OG Amano had blue hair but she was the only one), also talking cats.

The technology I dont mind because this is generations in the future and this legit looks like something the hellbend on survival humanity of this universe would invent.

All in all this seems pretty good, but as of now I have a hard time believing that it takes place in the same universe with Gunbuster
Nov 7, 2023 12:05 AM

Apr 2016
Wow! I've mostly been watching Gainax's 80s and early 90s stuff. Going from that to this..... So crazy :D I forgot how much they evolve as a studio! The story was pretty cool, but then stuff went crazy three quarters of the way through hahaha :) the animation was so beautiful! All of it! <3 I'm looking forward to this even if it doesn't make any sense:3
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM

Nov 2014
The switching between CG and hand drawn art for the buster machine was such a shame, could they really not have put in the extra time to avoid such an artistic blemish? The Eva Rebuilds were full of that as well, just makes it harder to immerse in the action when things look totally different from one scene to the next.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MK - Aug 12, 2008

147 by Jacktwelve17 »»
Jan 5, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - May 15, 2010

27 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 19, 2009

48 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 20, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 2 Discussion

naikou - Sep 30, 2008

46 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.