Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 3, 2014 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
This was so lovely! I wasn't sure I'd like it because I'm not a fan of one off episodic series, but wow. I'm kind of in awe to be honest. I give this a 10/10.

The characters, the atmosphere, the feelings, love it!

I'll probably finish seasons 2-4 in the next week. Lol
Feb 23, 2014 2:53 PM

Oct 2012
I wasn't expecting to like this show as much as I did.

Great show.
Feb 27, 2014 10:14 PM

Apr 2011
Am I the only one who giggles every-time Sasada gets the end of the stick? I love Tanuma x Natsume friendship and hopefully it gets closer next season.
Mar 1, 2014 6:50 PM

Dec 2012
The festival was fun and although nothing big happened, it was a fitting conclusion that captured the feel good sensation and relaxing mood of this series.

Overall this turned out to be a very big surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed this series and how vibrant it was. It was filled with very colorful emotions and was overflowing with happy, sad, uplifting, bittersweet, and heartwarming moments. I definitely plan to watch season 2 in the near future, this is yet another one-of-a-kind series, very memorable. 9/10
Mar 16, 2014 5:56 AM

Sep 2011
This was an enjoyable anime, though I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I can see why it is loved so much, but it just didn't get through to me that much.
I'm giving it a 7/10.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch the other 3 seasons. Maybe I will if they won't be the same regular episodic seasons.
Jul 4, 2014 7:00 AM

Jan 2014
Nyanko sensei is so hilarious =3=
nice ending anyway
Aug 7, 2014 10:26 PM

Jul 2013
Poor Nyanko-sensei XD.

This was a really enjoyable episode. Best festival episode out of all the other anime I've seen so far. It gave such a nice peaceful and happy feeling seeing all the youkai from the previous episodes come back and watch the fireworks together side by side with humans. This anime just reeks of summer and I love it.

8/10

Off to the next season.
Oct 6, 2014 2:13 AM

Oct 2013
6/10 for me.

Yes this anime was really heart felt and touching but what I felt like was that it was lacking depth. I felt like I really didn't truly KNOW the MC (Fears? Hobbies? etc.?), What happened to his grandma? Why did she die so young? Why make the book of friends, what did it mean? Why was Madara sealed away for who knows how long? Just felt like I was watch to watch, nothing more.

There were times when I thought "Oh okay this is getting into something here..." And then it would be just a temporary problem that ended at 20 minutes.

I can tell something might be going on with that older guy who can see the youkai too but idk.

& yes I know this has a second season but holy crap if it's anything like this one I will not be watching it..unless I get REALLY bored.
Nov 16, 2014 4:19 PM

Dec 2013
Really good ending. Poor Sasada as always. It was nice to see Hinoe again.
Gonna watch the sequels soon.
Nov 25, 2014 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
christinabunny said:
(...) it was lacking depth. I felt like I really didn't truly KNOW the MC (Fears? Hobbies? etc.?), What happened to his grandma? Why did she die so young? Why make the book of friends, what did it mean? Why was Madara sealed away for who knows how long? Just felt like I was watch to watch, nothing more.

I feel the same. MC was kind of just there, solving problems for other creatures/people. He lacked a personality or life.
I'm at the start of season 3 and there still hasn't been any explanation for the Book of Friends and why his Grandma make it.
Dec 9, 2014 12:50 PM

Jul 2014
Natsume Yuujinchou was unexpectedly enjoyable~ xD

Since the first episode it strongly reminded my of Studio Ghibli movies and it still does (even more so) when I finished the entire season. I'm not a huge fan of these kinds type of anime (Ghibli movies are fine but for animes, I usually end up not finishing the wholes season) but I actually found myself enjoying it all throughout.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jan 16, 2015 9:06 PM

Oct 2013
gaaah, i hopere there's a romance between Natsume and Sasada, but Tanuma always ruin the moment ! what a nice way to end the first season, nice fireworks it was beautiful

Overall score 8/10, now onto 2nd season
Mar 6, 2015 9:54 AM

Jul 2009
Very good ending, it was fun to see the youkais in the festival, 7/10
Mar 22, 2015 12:01 AM

Feb 2014
This was a very relaxing and quite emotional show. Every single episode had that one powerful scene with the recurring theme of loneliness that always brought a tear to my eye.
It was also nice to see a few of the side characters get a cameo in this episode. Hope Sasada makes some progress with Natsume in the following seasons. But seeing as this is a shoujo anime that has some mild shounen-ai, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Mar 27, 2015 8:18 PM

Jun 2013
Not really impressed with the series overall.

Confirmed, Natsume x Tanuma is canon. Poor the girl always being left out.
Apr 9, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2011
Sasada has been annoying for the whole season, but this time she really did it. She managed to piss me off so badly that I actually cursed at the screen. I'd gladly punch her in the face if I could.

The fox-kid is unspeakably cute! Natsume and Tanuma should just adopt him and live like a happy gay family with Nyanko-sensei aka Ponta as their pet :)
Apr 9, 2015 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Shien77 said:
Sasada has been annoying for the whole season, but this time she really did it. She managed to piss me off so badly that I actually cursed at the screen. I'd gladly punch her in the face if I could.

The fox-kid is unspeakably cute! Natsume and Tanuma should just adopt him and live like a happy gay family with Nyanko-sensei aka Ponta as their pet :)

Takashi x Tanuma?

Please.

I ship Natsume x Madara (Nyanko-Sensei) for life.

Plus, I love the kid. He remind me of myself when I was much younger, so it gives me this odd feeling of nostalgia >_<
Apr 30, 2015 6:37 AM
Oct 2013
Heartwarming ending.

Jun 18, 2015 3:18 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Enjoyable ending for the season 1, lets hope the next seasons improve on the story.
Aug 9, 2015 11:47 AM

Sep 2014
Well it was a Nice Ending.

That Fox is soo Cute as usual.

His Cuteness level is OVER 9000!!!!
Aug 23, 2015 11:52 AM

Nov 2013
This anime didn't quite live up to my expectations, though that's not to say that I disliked it. The storytelling was wonderful and I liked how Natsume acted as a sort of mediator between the humans and the youkai, which led to some really sweet moments. It's a very heartfelt work.

Unfortunately, my impressions about the overall aura and atmosphere of this show haven't changed since episode 1. It just doesn't have that feeling of "magic" that is present in similarly calm, episodic SoLs. The OST is nothing special (though the ED is quite nice), the humor wasn't that good, and relatively speaking the show has too much action for a SoL, though I guess I'm just nitpicking at this point.

I'll definitely be watching the second season since I hear it's stronger than the first.
Sep 24, 2015 9:40 AM

Nov 2013
The last episode was satisfying but it didn't leave as much impact to me as I'd have wanted. I missed the little fox though ;;

This series was nice to watch. I'll be surely watching the second season at some point in the future.

8/10
Nov 9, 2015 7:05 AM

Dec 2014
that little fox was enough to make me love this episode
Mar 28, 2016 1:54 PM

Jan 2013
I'm speechless! The most beautiful anime I've ever watched and easiest 10/10 ever =^_^=
Nyanko-sensei <3 <3
Apr 3, 2016 6:06 AM

Nov 2012
Good series,the episodes weren't as impactful or interesting as say Mushishi but it was enjoyable none the less 7/10.
Apr 3, 2016 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
Mayuka said:
christinabunny said:
(...) it was lacking depth. I felt like I really didn't truly KNOW the MC (Fears? Hobbies? etc.?), What happened to his grandma? Why did she die so young? Why make the book of friends, what did it mean? Why was Madara sealed away for who knows how long? Just felt like I was watch to watch, nothing more.

I feel the same. MC was kind of just there, solving problems for other creatures/people. He lacked a personality or life.
I'm at the start of season 3 and there still hasn't been any explanation for the Book of Friends and why his Grandma make it.

Oh sweet, S3 delves in more on Natsume's insecurities and childhood!
Amazing.
May 15, 2016 6:18 AM

Nov 2011
Tender the final, goes well with what we have seen throughout the anime series, the script fails on this occasion, to also give a step forward in history. Nice to see almost all the secondary characters, especially Tanuma. Sasada fun trying to ensnare Nyanko-sensei, sweet Kogitsune. Melancholic but also sympathetic narration, excellent autumnal atmosphere during the narration. Excellent as final, the first set flew in a flash, I could review an infinite number of times this anime series, but I never get bored. Now I have to start with the second season trying not to be in a hurry, it takes some time before you start the new series of Natsume.

8.5/10
May 19, 2016 10:49 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
With this episode ends the first season. A season marked to the rhythm of the relaxing music, full of kindness, cordiality, some action and especially a lot of feeling, and all surrounded by "Yokais". Great.

--
Este episodio pone fin a una primera temporada marcada a son relajante de la música, llena de bondad, cordialidad, algo de acción y sobre todo mucho sentimiento, y todo ello rodeado de "Yokais". Genial.
Jul 8, 2016 5:01 PM

Jul 2015
Absolutely loved it, would have give it a ten if there wasn't the useless episode of nyanko-sensei.
Jul 25, 2016 6:04 AM

Oct 2015
it was cool but not much to tell because it is about takashi being left a book by his grandma reiko called the book of friends. the book has names of spirits called youkais that reiko defeated and were under her control. youkais come to takashi to either be given their names or some to take the book. it was good and funny too.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 1, 2017 8:58 PM

Jul 2013
So this was basically an episode that brought all my favorite past characters into one. Love it. I really enjoy Tanuma's developing friendship with Natsume, and of course it's great to see Kogitsune again too the little cutie. I'd love if season 2 had more of these characters as regulars because you do see a lot of interesting dynamics.

10/10 from me. What a relaxing, intriguing, and uplifting show.
Jan 15, 2017 12:48 AM

Mar 2012
Loved every episode of it :) A nice balance of feels and heartwarming moments.
Mar 16, 2017 8:34 PM

Dec 2016
Good series. I think the backgrounds or animation in general could be a bit (actually a lot) more detailed. The soundtrack was kind of okay-ish too, but I loved the ED theme. I didn't liked the story of a few episodes, but overall the story was pretty great and most importantly, I started caring about the characters in the end. That makes me look forward to the next seasons. 7.5/10
Dr_Manhattan95Mar 16, 2017 8:38 PM
Apr 18, 2017 8:09 AM

May 2013
Very very good.

9/10 only bc in some instances, I felt like Natsume could've done more to help out the youkai yet he didn't take any actions :/ for example, Hotaru. He should've told the man she loved that she was planning on coming to his wedding or that she's been thinking of him and by his side every single day *sigh*

Anyways, yeah. Still loved this, though :) Definitely a feel good anime.

The little fox is always adorable and I liked how Hinoe was watching over Natsume.
Oct 15, 2017 8:56 PM

Jan 2017
Wonderful way of wrapping it up! 10/10
Dec 6, 2017 3:37 PM
Apr 2014
omg xD you know, I agree that "nyan nyan sensei" is a pretty embarrassing name but where did Ponta come from? xD

also it's kinda hilarious that the powerful Madara is known as Natsume's fat cat :P Obviously they don't know but it's funny regardless ;)

Pretty nice and soothing episode as always. It was cool to see all the characters again. Amazingly fitting episode to end it on.

I really expected to enjoy this anime but I wasn't expecting it to be that good. Definitely have to watch the following seasons now.
Mar 9, 2018 11:25 AM

Feb 2018
The weakest episode in the series.

Imo, the second half of the show was much weaker than the first half, like the writers lost a bit of inspiration.
Nevertheless, I did enjoy the series, and simply love the OP and ED.

8/10
Mar 31, 2018 3:37 AM

Feb 2013
A really nice natsuyasumi episode.
The little fox was back again, kawaii.
Aug 8, 2018 1:32 AM

May 2016
What a great final episode so refreshing and beautiful 8/10
I will definitely enjoy the other season like I did with the first one.
Jan 2, 2019 4:09 PM

Nov 2016
Very fitting and nice episode to conclude this season.

Natsume is well done, but I think I'm still not really warm with this franchise.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 3, 2019 5:11 PM

May 2018
What a sweet ending to a beautiful series.

My only rant is that Sasada's become such an annoying character: stalking Natsume all the time, kidnapping Nyanko, beating up Baby Fox etc. But no, I don't blame Sasada - her character was beautiful in the manga. So I'll only blame the anime crew who decided to make Sasada an annoying character.

Anyway, this still has to be my favorite anime series of all time, I'll have to say. I love the characters in this episode - Nyanko, Hiiragi, Tamiko, Urihime - every one of them. The baby fox was just too damn cute I want to kiss him in the cheek lol. And I actually teared up a little bit upon watching Urihime's past in the manga.

I watched seasons 1-4 about seven years ago, but I've decided it's about time I watched them again before continuing to watch the 5th and 6th seasons. Yes, it still brings me to tears everytime - much more tears than 7 years ago. 10/10.
Boot_LegApr 3, 2019 5:17 PM
The Conviction Arc is even better than the Golden Age Arc.
Apr 14, 2019 8:30 PM

Feb 2017
This storyline felt more engaging because of all the different moving parts to it. Having a large cast of humans and youkai to rely on will help the future seasons.
Nov 28, 2019 11:23 PM

Aug 2017
Everyone coming together in the series. Really warm episode. Felt amazing to see Natsume opening up and of course seeing Madara tied up although he is now known as Natsumes fat cat. Can’t wait to start another season.
Dec 4, 2019 1:08 PM
Apr 2019
I loved the episode, a bit more relaxing and heartwarming than usual. It feels like an interlude for next season

I like Tanuma, he get along with Natsume and seems to understand him. I'd like to see a development of their relationship. I also like Sasada despite being kinda stalker. I wonder whether she's solely interested in Natsume because of youkai or there's some kind of love attraction.

I'm quite intrigued for Naturi's meeting with all those youkai, it didn't seem to me they met to talk like friends and enjoy a party.

I really liked the whole series, although it took me some episodes to start appreciating it. I love Nyanko sensei and his interactions with Natsume, funniest character in the series.

Many questions remain open for next season, looking forward to start watching it.
Mar 21, 2020 12:10 PM

Sep 2019
Its been a long time since I've enjoyed such a good and calming show. I somehow like fully calm when ever I watched an episode it was just so peaceful. Loved it 8/10
Apr 14, 2020 3:00 PM

Mar 2016
i really enjoyed watching this series, so very heartwarming and calming <3

Jun 2, 2020 12:58 AM

May 2020
What a heartwarming episode. It was just beautiful to see almost all the characters of the anime. I lost count how many times i shed tears for the whole season. This anime is in my favourite list with violet evergarden, your lie in april and clannad. Thanks to Hotarubi no Mori e, i discovered this masterpiece. But this is also my regret not to be able to watch Natsume Yuujinchou before Hotarubi no Mori e
defaulticusJun 2, 2020 1:38 AM
Jul 15, 2020 9:25 PM

Aug 2019
ah what a nice ending to this anime, although Natsume never got a girl, he got his good old pal Tanuma. Just a couple of bros, hanging out. Watching fireworks together.
Overall thoughts on this anime, yeh wasn't that bad. Story was decent the characters were cool, art was a bit on the crusty side, but hay not bad for a 2008 anime.
Story felt mostly episodic, every episode had a beginning, middle and end, all more or less being wrapped up in those 24 minutes and the next episode being a new problem with maybe a returning character?(reminded me a lot of how Mushishi laid out there episode, but a little more refined). Interesting story and ideas no doubt, the story of Takashi finding his grandmothers book which she used to store the names of Youkai after defeating them, making them her follower in this "Book of friends" and being able to summon them when ever and where ever. Takashi then volunteering to return all the names in the book, more or less having the same effect of, meeting the Youkai and befriending them. Although mid way it felt like Natsume was encountering more problems that had nothing to do with the book, and more just Youkai needing help, more or less it all ended relitvily the same with "said person's name return" or "said person gets their happily ever after" which in itself kinda got a bit stale, don't get me wrong i love it when the anime gets the good happily-ever-after ending, but because this anime was episodic, it felt like the happily-ever-after every other episode. True some episodes didn't get as much of a positive ending then others, but more or less, looking at it overall i would of liked a bit more of a mix up regarding the ends of each ep.
Character wise, i liked them. Natsume (although being voiced by the fucking legendary man him self Kamiya Hiroshi) was a very interesting character to watch. Someone who was shunned and outcasted as a child because of his ability to see Youkai, still keeps a calm and positive attitude. He likes to lend a hand to others (mostly Youkai who come to him) and is quite a pacifistic. One thing this anime does do well, is show how other people with the ability to see Youkai handle it. Most of the people that could see Youkai were thrown out and were loners, each person handled it differently. Reiko created the book of friends, and instead decided to make friends with the Youkai then humans, Natori seems to scorn them to a degree, maybe from him being picked on by others, he blames the Youkai for that, so became and exorcist for hire, however also works with Youkai as well so maybe isn't all that bad? Tanuma's case is a bit hard. He more or less has shown that he can't clearly see the Youkai, maybe just identify them as blurs or see weaker ones but overall he's mostly like Natsume. Natsume himself, massive pacifist, only resorts to violence when needed, more or less a super chilled dude considering what he went through.
Youkai design is pretty creative, they definitely did a good job on the supernatural looks, having them look all different, some maybe poking out more e.g. madara's wolf form or some of the bigger Youkai. I'd give them a pat on the back for the creativity.
Side points: Art, again, a bit on the crusty side but i wouldn't let it bother you. Music wise, ED and OP tracks i felt really... eh on. Not my cup of tea, but the OST. oohoohooho the ost for this anime is really fucking nice. Might be from my soft spot for traditional Japanese music, but hot damn this anime's ost is fineeee.
All in all, 7/10. It was a pretty ok anime, had it's strong points and a good ideas along with its share of downsides. Idrk how to feel about 6 seasons worth though xD idk if i could chew through that much, but i could imagine it getting better further through, just hope it doesn't forget its roots.
Jul 17, 2020 7:04 AM

Apr 2009
Am I the only one who thinks that this show is slightly overrated here?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2020 7:10 AM

Jul 2020
That was a nice ending.

Overall this anime is good. Even though it’s episodic I didn’t find it hard to binge watch. The story in each episode are good and interesting.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 25, 2008

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Mar 22, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ohmiharu - Jul 7, 2008

167 by filoshi »»
Feb 28, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Sep 18, 2008

106 by Ishitateso »»
Jan 21, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

datsunvic - Aug 13, 2008

146 by dont_ »»
Jan 21, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jul 15, 2008

127 by silent_lurker »»
Jan 10, 8:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.