MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why national days???
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Current Events »» Why national days???

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
06-23-12, 6:03 AM

Yesterday was St Albans day. It's a thing that most people don't even know of let alone celebrate, but it's all cultural.

06-23-12, 7:28 AM

In Scotland you have St Andrews day.

For the people who actually celebrate it properly it's all whisky, haggis, ceildhs, kilts, Burn's poems and Auld Lang Syne...

For most people though, it almost goes by unnoticed. I can tell you it happens late in January but I can't remember the date and I have never been to a proper Burns supper.

How unpatriotic of me. Oh well, I always liked McGonagall better anyway...
Beg to report, Sir...

06-23-12, 7:32 AM

1A2N3I4M5E6 said:
Well so far it seems like there is a reason behind most national days but no one really cares, it's only a day off. But I know for sure why we "celebrate" in Sweden now, (called my old history teatcher), it's a celebration of when the king Gustav Vasa was elected to be Swedens king 1523. And it's also called the swedish flag day. So it really is no reason to celebrate it. X)
It's patriotism. I know that begs the question, but just in case you missed it -- it's patriotism that causes people to celebrate national days.

06-23-12, 7:53 AM

ghritke said:
1A2N3I4M5E6 said:
Well so far it seems like there is a reason behind most national days but no one really cares, it's only a day off. But I know for sure why we "celebrate" in Sweden now, (called my old history teatcher), it's a celebration of when the king Gustav Vasa was elected to be Swedens king 1523. And it's also called the swedish flag day. So it really is no reason to celebrate it. X)
It's patriotism. I know that begs the question, but just in case you missed it -- it's patriotism that causes people to celebrate national days.
I kind of understood that but in some cases it might have a deeper meaning than just the love for your own country. :D

06-23-12, 7:57 AM

AnnoKano said:

For the people who actually celebrate it properly it's all whisky, haggis, ceildhs, kilts, Burn's poems and Auld Lang Syne...

Sound like a Normal everyday day in Scotland to me.

06-23-12, 8:02 AM

Olpho-Kodoso said:
AnnoKano said:

Sound like a Normal everyday day in Scotland to me.
<3 Scotland <3

06-23-12, 8:23 AM

1A2N3I4M5E6 said:
I kind of understood that but in some cases it might have a deeper meaning than just the love for your own country. :D
Hmm. I think that the 'love' would incorporate those particular myths reasons why people love their country.

06-23-12, 8:43 AM

1A2N3I4M5E6 said:
ghritke said:
1A2N3I4M5E6 said:

Most of them mark days of independence. I'm not sure Gustav's election would be marked as independence, but since it took a war to be liberated from the Kalmar Union, I would have thought it would be fairly significant in Sweden. Interesting to find that it is not.

06-23-12, 1:47 PM

No-one seems to care about St. George's Day, and I only remember St. David's Day because every year my Dad's daffodils bloom around that time. So yeah, no-one really seems to care.

06-23-12, 2:08 PM

Tachii said:
selective_yellow said:
I guess people celebrate Canada day, but not really Victoria day (aside from relaxing and enjoying their day off).

I'm going to see fireworks this Canada day (July 1)
Well I hear fireworks from both holidays. Though it seem more like holidays are just an excuse to do something fun, rather than actually celebrating the day as if it was something significant though.

At the end of the day, that's really what holidays should be about. We might forget the significance of the day, but giving the chance to relax and do something else is always good.

Not here. I've never seen fireworks on Victoria Day. No one gives a shit about the monarchy :>

edit: but you're from ontario, are you not? BC = best province.

06-23-12, 2:57 PM

selective_yellow said:
Tachii said:
selective_yellow said:
I guess people celebrate Canada day, but not really Victoria day (aside from relaxing and enjoying their day off).

I'm going to see fireworks this Canada day (July 1)
Well I hear fireworks from both holidays. Though it seem more like holidays are just an excuse to do something fun, rather than actually celebrating the day as if it was something significant though.

At the end of the day, that's really what holidays should be about. We might forget the significance of the day, but giving the chance to relax and do something else is always good.

Not here. I've never seen fireworks on Victoria Day. No one gives a shit about the monarchy :>

edit: but you're from ontario, are you not? BC = best province.

You know, Victoria BC is pretty big on Victoria Day =P

06-24-12, 5:22 AM

Sveriges nationaldag, även svenska flaggans dag, firas den 6 juni varje år och är en helgdag i Sverige. Nationaldagen firas till minne av dagen då Gustav Vasa valdes till Sveriges kung.
som ni vet säkert fira norge nationaldag ;D
CUZ WE ARE FREE FROM YOU XD and we got our Constitution :3

08-28-12, 12:10 PM

staalmanga said:
Sveriges nationaldag, även svenska flaggans dag, firas den 6 juni varje år och är en helgdag i Sverige. Nationaldagen firas till minne av dagen då Gustav Vasa valdes till Sveriges kung.
som ni vet säkert fira norge nationaldag ;D
CUZ WE ARE FREE FROM YOU XD and we got our Constitution :3
Well that I knew. ;)

08-28-12, 12:25 PM

The US has Independence Day and Singapore has National Day which is pretty much independence day...
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou

08-29-12, 2:03 AM

October 3rd, Day of German Unity. Seeing how most east german people bitch about the west germans and vice versa, it's sometimes hard to understand why the day of reunification is a holiday. But hey, it's a day off.

08-29-12, 2:07 AM

national day is just another holiday.

08-30-12, 1:36 PM

in belgium its the day our king ascended the throne (btw we still have a king but he is totaly useless , except for diplomatic reasons)
i totally forgot this year though , just relaxed the day away ...
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive.Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
see you space cowboy...

08-30-12, 2:42 PM

We have the third of october which is the day when someone declared our "Grundgesetz" as the final constitution as "chosen by the people" (although there wasn't even an election or something, at best some politician signed a sheet of paper). It's so lame that some conservative politician even proposed to move it to the first Sunday in October - to do the economy "less harm".

I do like the idea of having a national holiday - it may remind people of an important historical event. Just like the reunion of the GDR with western Germany. But seriously, they couldn't really pick a less meaningful date, and at least 95% of the people I know don't even know what is actually being celebrated. Yeah, the reunion. But which part of it? "Dunno". And seriously, except that some of our politicians claim that "today is a great day in German history, blah blah", it just feels like an ordinary sunday, and you see more people out on the streets on the 9th of November, the day when the Berlin Wall did fall.

08-30-12, 3:06 PM

Why not national days ?

We have Indepedence Day which commemorates the anniversary of our independence from the French, but we also have a couple of other public holidays, such as Proclamation of Independence, Revolution of the King and the People, Enthronement, etc. There are about 12.
I personally don't care why any of those are celebrated (I do take the religious ones more seriously though), as long as I get to sleep in and do whatever I want for the rest of the day, it's cool.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices