Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2012 6:43 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
No one has back-up cameras?

BTW - I thought that Satou had a red sports car, not an orange one...
Jan 7, 2014 9:05 AM

Mar 2008
It looks like a red sports car to me though, not orange... :o

Sigh, I wish Yumi can get a boyfriend... She's my favorite policewoman =/
Feb 2, 2014 10:04 PM

Nov 2010
Like I said, easy peasy.
Nov 19, 2015 2:58 AM

Jul 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Like I said, easy peasy.
Lemon Squeezy.

And damn it another dragged out police love story.
Apr 29, 2016 12:42 PM
May 2010
Case File #659/#660
The Joint Investigation With A First Love

This story arc returns to the quality of manga-adapted episodes for the most parts. I also noticed that there have been far lesser "Manga to anime changes" in the newer episodes, so this faithfulness to the manga might be a good thing.

Yumi has unfortunately been reduced to Sonoko's "angry and irritable woman who can't get lucky in love" stereotype that I've began to find annoying (and honestly a little disgusting if I'm to play the sexist card, even if I'm a man). But much like Sonoko, we get to see that she has a good heart and might not be that bad of a person, yada yada yada. I'm kinda tired of the show using this as an excuse to portray these women as unattractive to men. This whole stigma Japan has against independent women who aren't subservient and quiet is disgusting. Loud women are just as attractive as quiet ones. In fact, I prefer girls with an attitude.

Anyway, that poor character writing doesn't take much away from the quality of the mystery. It's been a long time since we've had an emotional confession that I could care about. I especially love the social commentary here; it's not heavy-handed and fits in very well. The vague regulations in Japan against blocking the rear-window of your car is a problem that's tragically displayed in this arc, and I love how the vandal culprit is very sympathetic due to that point. Her infant child was killed in an accident due to someone blocking the rear-window of the car, and it doesn't get more tragic than the death of such a young baby motivating a mother's vengeance. The mystery itself isn't that intricate that you couldn't tell whom the culprit might be, but in this case, it needn't to be intricate. Such gradual unfolding of a foreseeable tragedy is often the high-points of many tragic cases in the show. It's effective and depressing.

The title of the arc came from Chiba meeting his first love, Naeko Miike. But of course, she never gets her chance to confess and this whole thing is just a waste of time, yet another story arc to postpone the main story. You should be familiar with this trend by now.

A noteworthy highlight is when Conan mentioned that he can't help but look forward to the Gomera movies that movie studios are churning out for profit. It's amusing that even an intellectual detective like him is tempted to watch such a cheesy monster fest.

★★★★
Sep 10, 2016 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
Goddammit. I know I shouldn't expect any romance from this show but c'mon.
May 26, 2018 10:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I mistaken in my bet, the guilty was the woman!!!
Chiba Inspector was near to discover "his love" but finally the love and the end was open for a future!!!1 kekeke
Sep 15, 2019 9:03 AM
Mar 2018
How much time will this love story take to bloom. When will Chiba recognize her. And why Yumi is always the cupid; when will she get her dream man?
Jun 4, 2022 8:59 PM

Nov 2021
Poor Yumi tho always left alone and deliberately sabotaged the group's effort to match them but we ofc know that she''ll let them together anyway. I hope she finds her true one lol

Mar 15, 9:41 AM
Feb 2024
Reply to dbaranyi
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
No one has back-up cameras?

BTW - I thought that Satou had a red sports car, not an orange one...
@dbaranyi backup camera is still a luxury accessory at the time I think.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 47 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 23, 2010

11 by Vivid_7 »»
Apr 21, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 704 Discussion

Conan_Kudo - Aug 3, 2013

38 by Elyshion »»
Apr 20, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1120 Discussion

hai_X_is - Apr 13

2 by Estoy_Gordo »»
Apr 19, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 957 Discussion

dbaranyi - Oct 19, 2019

6 by animefan8800 »»
Apr 19, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 700 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Jun 15, 2013

36 by Elyshion »»
Apr 18, 11:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.