Forum Settings
Forums

VA Tanaka Rie and Yamadera Koichi Get Married

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 18, 2012 4:14 AM

Jan 2012
Sometimes I just don't understand people's taste =/
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
Jun 18, 2012 4:22 AM

Oct 2011
DraconisMarch said:
Definitely this.

This is... not normal.

LOL
If she was 17 and he 37 than I could agree with this statement
but she is 33 and he is 51 - both perfectly responsible adults, so where is "not normal" part?
or rather - what is "normal" age gap, just to check
Dalek-bakaJun 18, 2012 5:00 AM
Jun 18, 2012 4:35 AM
Jun 2008
jaw drop WHAT?!

really oh my feeling i got hit face on frying pan on it really i'm just ??? ok now i don't got any words on it to say.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jun 18, 2012 4:37 AM

Mar 2009
Good for them.
Jun 18, 2012 4:51 AM

Jan 2012
j0x said:
never thought Lacus Clyne's voice actress is that beautiful O_O
congrats to them!!!

but she got married to an ......old elderly man . Well maybe , the quote is true ,''inner beauty over outer beauty'' , maybe she picked him because of his personality rather than his appearance.
Jun 18, 2012 5:42 AM

Dec 2011
dat age gap.
and had once married someone.

Anyway Congrats~
Jun 18, 2012 5:45 AM

Mar 2011
That's sweet, congratulations to the both of them, big age gap, but if they're happy together then good for them!
As it turns out, living was a punishment...
Jun 18, 2012 5:45 AM

Oct 2009
Wow that's a pretty big age gap.. xD but I want to wish them all the best! :D
Jun 18, 2012 6:16 AM
Aug 2010
Congrats to them! But I hope this won't turn into a disaster....
Jun 18, 2012 7:14 AM
Jul 2010
DraconisMarch said:
MM-Rosiie said:
Larger age gap than usual, but I'm sure they'll have a happy marriage.
Uh... why?

Kazeshini said:
disaster in the making
Definitely this.

This is... not normal.

Yup, I thought I was the only one thinking this.
Jun 18, 2012 7:19 AM

Jun 2011
Meh, the difference is rather big xP
Still, congratulations xD
Jun 18, 2012 7:57 AM

Jun 2008
Congrats!
Jun 18, 2012 8:29 AM

Oct 2011
jmal said:
Great, now we're being judgmental about the age gap between two entirely adult people. Tanaka isn't exactly an 18 year old trophy wife, she's a 33 year old adult woman. Nor is Yamadera some ancient senior citizen. They can marry whoever the fuck they want and it's no business of any of you lot.

It's not judmental... it's hillarious (or heartwarming that people don't think that 30 = ancient being from beyond the time).
Plus coming from people who have half of her age (and 1/3 of his)... sorry people she didn't choose you but someone other :P
Dalek-bakaJun 18, 2012 9:15 AM
Jun 18, 2012 8:59 AM

Oct 2009
I am conflicted :\

The age gap..

Rie.. :(

Congrats i guess.
Jun 18, 2012 10:15 AM

Aug 2008
I'm kind of curious how a relationship could work out with an age gap of almost 20 years. I mean, the two are obviously from two very different generations; might be hard to find some common ground. But if they can pull it off, then good for them.

I will always remember Rie as Suigintou :)

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jun 18, 2012 10:36 AM

May 2009
51/2+7=32.5
As you can see above, their relationship is mathematically proven to be not creepy (according to xkcd).
Jun 18, 2012 10:37 AM
Sep 2011
jmal said:
Great, now we're being judgmental about the age gap between two entirely adult people. Tanaka isn't exactly an 18 year old trophy wife, she's a 33 year old adult woman. Nor is Yamadera some ancient senior citizen. They can marry whoever the fuck they want and it's no business of any of you lot.

This is what i think also. So annoying to read all the crap about the age gap.
Jun 18, 2012 1:24 PM

Nov 2008
I feel bad for the fanclub.... They are all in despair and sorrow.... :(

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jun 18, 2012 1:42 PM

Oct 2007
It seems like some people believe that getting married is something you do to make others happy. Are these people sane?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jun 18, 2012 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
good God i hope it works this time
Jun 18, 2012 2:42 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
DenjaX said:

The fanclubs should be happy that their favourite seiyuu is starting a new stage in her life. Otherwise they are not really fans but stalkers.

Siva said:
It seems like some people believe that getting married is something you do to make others happy. Are these people sane?

Comment of the day.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 18, 2012 6:11 PM

Aug 2008
wakka9ca said:
The fanclubs should be happy that their favourite seiyuu is starting a new stage in her life. Otherwise they are not really fans but stalkers.

Siva said:

Comment of the day.

I agree.
Jun 18, 2012 6:30 PM

Jan 2012
wakka9ca said:
DenjaX said:

Lol, that's damn true .
Jun 18, 2012 10:08 PM

Aug 2010
May they have a happy life together.
Jun 19, 2012 1:35 AM

Jul 2010
Congrats to them on the wedding, hope everything goes well for them.
Also, how is this considered creepy when stalking idols and calling them your waifu is somewhat acceptable... I hate society man
Jun 19, 2012 1:39 AM

Nov 2007
Nice?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 19, 2012 4:46 AM

Oct 2008
He's old enough to be her dad, but best of luck to them both.
Jun 19, 2012 4:54 AM

Dec 2011
Café de Rie, the official fan club of voice actress Rie Tanaka, announced on Monday that it is shutting down "due to various circumstances." Haha, don't bother, we all know what is the various circumstances. It is the fact that all those people who spout nonsense like "Female seiyuu are 2.5D, they are angels.", "So naturally they must be virgins, and it is out of the question for them to have anything to do with men." and "Those who date or marry men without permission need to be punished by the law." got mindraped.
Jun 19, 2012 6:35 AM

Apr 2010
Yeah no surprise about her fan club shutting down. Marriage is like the ultimate way to say "Fuck you" to her otaku fans who have delusions of actually being able to be with her or something.

Jun 19, 2012 7:08 AM

Oct 2011
EclairHeart said:
Café de Rie, the official fan club of voice actress Rie Tanaka, announced on Monday that it is shutting down "due to various circumstances." Haha, don't bother, we all know what is the various circumstances. It is the fact that all those people who spout nonsense like "Female seiyuu are 2.5D, they are angels.", "So naturally they must be virgins, and it is out of the question for them to have anything to do with men." and "Those who date or marry men without permission need to be punished by the law." got mindraped.

Please, in name of Humanity... those are not actual quotes? (or some kind of rephrasing what those people are saying)
They are not???
o.O
Jun 19, 2012 7:13 AM

May 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-19/voice-actress-rie-tanaka-fan-club-to-shut-down

^ act of desperation

the "various circumstances" reason is actually this: they are robbed of their... waifu... :D
Please like Joshiraku Facebook Fanpage by clicking the image below!

Thank you very much!
Jun 19, 2012 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
Dalek-baka said:
EclairHeart said:

Please, in name of Humanity... those are not actual quotes? (or some kind of rephrasing what those people are saying)
They are not???
o.O

Those are just fake quotes that he think the otaku would be saying

Jun 19, 2012 7:45 AM

Dec 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Dalek-baka said:
EclairHeart said:

They are not???
o.O

Those are just fake quotes that he think the otaku would be saying

Nope, this are real quotes, from Sankaku, screenshot from a message board.

Even worse quote:
“I agree. Idol seiyuu ought not to engage in romance until I tire of them.”
“I agree completely. As a fan, the purity of my dear 2D characters is preserved, so there’s no excuse for a seiyuu to be engaging in romance however she pleases.”
Jun 19, 2012 8:19 AM

Feb 2010
lol, fanclubs shutting down.

Anyway, have a good life Maria :smile:
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jun 19, 2012 8:36 AM
Jun 2008
yea give we know still most of them are in shock, hit by frying pan, stun, brain bleach, BSOD, etc on it all.

& yet i'm more into the Lacus only give really i'm still like WHY this read this yet still shock on it but as long it all safe well then i can live with it.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jun 19, 2012 10:37 AM

May 2007
jmal said:
EclairHeart said:
Nope, this are real quotes, from Sankaku, screenshot from a message board.

Sankaku is a website exclusively for the mentally disabled.

Yeah, and it's really saddening how much credibility and popularity it has gained around here. It's almost ridiculous.

jmal said:
A fanclub that shuts down when its subject gets married was just a bunch of shallow assholes who never cared about the subject to begin with. To hell with them all.

I'm extremely surprised that you of all people is ignorant of how the Japanese idol industry works in Japan, jmal. I generally never bother answering to these bashing posts about Japanese idols fans since most users here are completely unable to understand cultural differences between different countries, and will always judge Japanese idol otakus according to Western values and morals, but I never thought you will join the bashing wagon, to be honest.

jmal said:

But marriage says nothing like that, why should her marriage say anything to anyone else at all? It's her business alone. It's the fanclub shutting down that's the ultimate "fuck you" to her.

jmal, an idol getting married means she is 'graduating', so of course the fan club is getting closed. Remember that even though being a seiyuu and an idol are different things, the two careers frequently overlap. I imagine that the only people getting bothered by Rie's retirement from her idol career are idol otakus. Most Japanese anime otakus will only take this news badly if her marriage would also mean her retirement as a seiyuu.
Jun 19, 2012 10:38 AM

Oct 2011
jmal said:
Sankaku is a website exclusively for the mentally disabled.

A fanclub that shuts down when its subject gets married was just a bunch of shallow assholes who never cared about the subject to begin with. To hell with them all.

It's not that bad site - i've found thanks to them manga about trout, yes I mean fish.
Plus a lot of creepy stuff

but whole thing is one more proof that Lem was right when he said:
"I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet."

still if those are problems of people... I kind of allows me to appreciate my life more (which is still pretty awesome)
Jun 19, 2012 12:12 PM

Oct 2007
^
To make it short for you.

Understanding =/= Agreeing/Accepting

Honestly who give a damn about those otaku/stalkers?
It is the man and the woman who agree to get married while knowing the consequent of their action. Therefore there is no need for people to worry about it.

Jun 19, 2012 1:06 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Yeah no surprise about her fan club shutting down. Marriage is like the ultimate way to say "Fuck you" to her otaku fans who have delusions of actually being able to be with her or something.

But marriage says nothing like that, why should her marriage say anything to anyone else at all? It's her business alone. It's the fanclub shutting down that's the ultimate "fuck you" to her.

Well, I don't mean she is saying that herself, but thats the message the fans get from her... since they like her as an idol since they think shes supposedly pure and doesn't have interest in men or anything. So seeing her get married is everything against their ideal view of these women.

As an idol, you sign up for this stuff... you need to understand how your "fans" feel about you, so you need to expect these reactions from this. Its why I feel this is a career ending move, since Rie Tanaka is a long time veteran... she knows enough to know how people would react. So now that shes done with the seiyuu industry and wants to move onto other things, she can finally marry.
RyanSaotomeJun 19, 2012 1:12 PM

Jun 19, 2012 2:36 PM

May 2007
jmal said:

Tanaka Rie is a real human being, not an anime character, and deserves to be respected as such. The reality/fiction line is inviolable for me.

Ah...are you forgetting that an idol is precisely a manufactured product which sells her fictitious idealized image? How can you demand her fans to treat her as a "real human being" when her work is precisely to be as fictitious as possible? Remember, to be an idol a person has to become something worth to be idolized.
But at the same time I understand that it's really difficult for Westerners to even begin to understand such foreign concept since there's nothing even remotely similar in our cultures, but when I try to explain that concept to an American, I personally use the example of Disneyland (since I don't think Disneyland and the Japanese idol culture are that different): A manufactured place whose business is to sell fictitious dreams and happiness.

jmal said:

My issue is with the ridiculous drama that often follows any and all revelations about the private lives of female (and presumably male too, but I don't follow them) seiyuu/idols.

As I said before, don't confuse seiyuu with idols. A lot of idols are seiyuus (like Aya Hirano) but just being a seiyuu doesn't get you that treatment. You can be a seiyuu, J-pop singer or actor/actress in Japan but as long as you are not an idol nobody really will care if you get married or not. Most Westerners get really confused with this point since a lot of idols are also singers, VA and actresses, so a lot of people here believe that an idol in Japan is just another name for a singer, VA or/and actress like in the US, but nothing could be further from the truth.

jmal said:

But I don't care about the health of the melodramatic fans so much as the well-being of the seiyuu/idol in question and how they're affected by the negative reactions from so-called fans. A man or woman should be able to celebrate personal milestones with their 'adoring" fans, not have to hide those developments or become pariahs within their communities because of it.

If they wanted to celebrate personal milestones with their fans, they wouldn't become idols, as simple as that. The moment you profit from your idol status, in my opinion, you lose the right to demand to be treated as a non-idol celebrity by your fans and the media.

jmal said:

Either way, people should stick to 2D if they don't want to deal with the inconveniences of reality.

I find very hypocrite that you are criticizing Japanese idol otakus for not wanting to deal with the inconveniences of reality, when here in the West the whole child-rearing process consists of precisely censoring everything that could soil the holy innocence of our children and teens so that they believe everything in the world is a Disneyland theme park full of dreams and happiness.

RyanSaotome said:

As an idol, you sign up for this stuff... you need to understand how your "fans" feel about you, so you need to expect these reactions from this.

Exactly. If you don't want reactions like these from your fans, you should refrain from entering the idol industry.

RyanSaotome said:
Its why I feel this is a career ending move, since Rie Tanaka is a long time veteran... she knows enough to know how people would react. So now that shes done with the seiyuu industry and wants to move onto other things, she can finally marry.

Ah...no. Her career as an idol is over, but her career as a seiyuu is a completely different matter. Of course, there are idol fans who are also anime fans, but the two things are fundamentally different, even though they overlap frequently. Unless she wants to be a stay-at-home wife, there shouldn't be any reason for her to quit her job as a VA.
Remember that Rie is not the same as Aya Hirano. Aya was primarily an idol, which was also a seiyuu, J-pop singer, actress and TV celebrity while Rie is primarily a seiyuu and singer. The idol part of her career is pretty small, and she appeals primarily to the anime otaku community (which wouldn't care at all if she is married or not as long as she doesn't quit her job), not the Japanese idol fandom.
Jun 19, 2012 3:05 PM

Oct 2007
NeoFireHawk said:
Exactly. If you don't want reactions like these from your fans, you should refrain from entering the idol industry.
Be more like Aya Hirano if you think you have the skill to do your job properly otherwise you have to take care your fans more than your actual job.

Jun 19, 2012 5:54 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
NeoFireHawk said:
Most Westerners get really confused with this point since a lot of idols are also singers, VA and actresses, so a lot of people here believe that an idol in Japan is just another name for a singer, VA or/and actress like in the US, but nothing could be further from the truth.
there's nothing even remotely similar in our cultures

Pretty much this.

However, we are not idol otakus here. We don't give a damn about anything other than her seiyuu career. Even if she quit her seiyuu career fans should be supportive too. It's her decision.

I think jmal is criticizing the overall delusions of the more hardline idol otakus in general. The fact that the industry was designed to encourage this type of reaction doesn't make these reactions pleasant. Using the argument "this is the idol industry and how it works" does not invalidate the criticism about it. That's not how argumentation works.

Also let's not be delusional about the matter by reading Sankaku. That site is just mostly propaganda and a nest of trolls. The majority of the idol fans are regular people. Only the hardliners are more hardcore. Even then, what they say on the Internet is just 2ch and 4ch level of Internet trolling. It's called having a low mental age on the Internet syndrome.

NeoFireHawk said:
I find very hypocrite that you are criticizing Japanese idol otakus for not wanting to deal with the inconveniences of reality, when here in the West the whole child-rearing process consists of precisely censoring everything that could soil the holy innocence of our children and teens so that they believe everything in the world is a Disneyland theme park full of dreams and happiness.

jmal wasn't defending western culture. That's not hypocrisy. And please no more "people don't understand Japanese culture". Unless you are Japanese yourself. Even then, a lot of foreigners understand Japanese culture, sometimes more than the Japanese themselves. However, it is true that most East Asians also share a common and affiliated cultural background as opposed to Westerners.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 19, 2012 6:36 PM
Jun 2012
i remember a certain anime convention in akiba in japan 2 years ago, there's this fan who asked a seiyuu (dont know her actually, since i am just a passer by going to work) this: "if she retires, how would she like to be remembered. by anime character or as you?"

there's a momentarily pause, but she answered: "i want to be remembered as me."
( its a simple nihon so i can understand.)

well not all seiyuu would answer that... it would be generalization if i say all...

but i think this scene is enough to tell what jmal is saying... seiyuus want to be respected (and remembered) as a human not as the fictitious character we all know because yep that's technically disrespect

just my IMHO...
Jun 19, 2012 8:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yes, sure the fans are the financial support. However, idols are not supposed to be their slaves.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Jun 19, 2012 9:22 PM

May 2007
jmal said:
Slightly different execution in some areas (heavier emphasis on virginity, which is my biggest problem with it)

No, the heavier emphasis is not really on virginity but on public image and appearances. Remember that idols are pretty much trading their personal lives for fame, so anything that goes against the ideal they are trying to sell is forbidden. And that goes whether the idol is female or male, there's no difference here. And forget any boyfriend/girlfriend problem, if somebody in the media finds that an idol has been for example, smoking since she or he is 18 (legal age in Japan is 20, I believe) and makes it public the talent agency will drop that idol immediately. Something as simple as smoking can completely destroy an idol career forever.

jmal said:
But this is just the problem! I find both the industry (when taken to extremes) and the fandom (when taken to extremes) equally disturbing.

Well, anything taken to extremes is disturbing and dangerous.

jmal said:
But this is about Tanaka Rie. She did not reveal herself to be a gangbanging prostitute with a crack addiction. She married a well-respected peer in her industry. There is a fundamental difference here, right? I am not willing to accept an industry or a fandom where such a thing is considered a "betrayal".

It was exactly this point that made me write my first reply to your post.
First, why are you so worked up by the closure of Rie's official fan club? There's no controversy or anything of the sort in the news. It's simply saying that she got married and her official fanclub is closing. If I remember correctly, during Hirano Aya's controversy, it was announced that her official fan club closed the same day she left her management agency, which has always led me to believe that official fan clubs are managed by the idol's agency in some way, so the news of the closure of Rie's official fan club may be because she wants to leave the firm or something along those lines.
The curiosity as to what led you to respond in a manner so unlike your usual informative and level-headed responses is what made me originally believe that you simply were unfamiliar with the Japanese idol industry in general.

jmal said:
I'll need you to point out where I defended or even discussed western culture (the very idea that I would amuses me) before I can hope to reply. If not, well, I don't think that's how hypocrisy works.

You are criticizing a group of people belonging to a different culture because they don't want to deal with the inconveniences of reality, yet our own culture worships idealization so much that the only movies children are allowed to watch are the ones where they are made believe that the whole world is a fairy tale where every story has a happy ending.
That said, now re-reading what I wrote I found my past post hostile and really uncalled for, I apologize.

wakka9ca said:
Also let's not be delusional about the matter by reading Sankaku. That site is just mostly propaganda and a nest of trolls. The majority of the idol fans are regular people. Only the hardliners are more hardcore. Even then, what they say on the Internet is just 2ch and 4ch level of Internet trolling. It's called having a low mental age on the Internet syndrome.

Yes, the idol industry is pretty mainstream in Japanese society. That's why I never thought that Sankaku's attempt to make the typical Japanese anime otaku into the worst type of idol otaku would be that successful since after all, the two subcultures are really incomparable in size and a fast search in Google would tell you how ridiculous Sankaku's claims are. But sadly, I was very wrong.

wakka9ca said:
And please no more "people don't understand Japanese culture". Unless you are Japanese yourself. Even then, a lot of foreigners understand Japanese culture, sometimes more than the Japanese themselves.

Well, generally people don't understand foreign cultures and much less concepts that go against their own personal morality. Culture shock can be a very nasty thing.

wakka9ca said:
However, it is true that most East Asians also share a common and affiliated cultural background as opposed to Westerners.

The main difference is that Western societies are individualistic by nature, so in this case we have people becoming enraged by the mere thought of people not respecting an idol's individuality and right to do whatever he/she wishes with his/her life, while Eastern societies are collectivistic by nature, so the interdependence of the individual is the number one priority, where the well-being of the majority outweighs your own. So criticizing a group belonging to a collectivistic country using the values and morals of an individualistic society has always seemed fundamentally wrong to me.
Jun 20, 2012 6:49 PM

Apr 2010
That's a bit of an age gap but I wish them luck and many congrats.
Jun 21, 2012 9:15 PM

Feb 2011
Wish them all the happiness.
Jan 7, 2013 10:21 AM

Dec 2007
Ardamaeus said:
Wish them all the happiness.
Late to the party, but my sentiments exactly. ^_^

Meantime, Rie Tanaka has posted a photo of the wedding on her Twitter account.
Jan 7, 2013 11:42 AM

May 2012
RyanSaotome said:
Its too bad that Tanakas career as a seiyuu is essentially over now.

I disagree, for the obsessive seiyuu lovers, according to their perspective, she is an old hag by now @ 33

Second she is not a ***_insert your own adjective-***** woman that was screwing around sexually with several of her coworkers.....

I see no problem at all, save for a minority of her more hardcore followers-.

I Think you and me know plenty of examples of female seiyuu getting married and their seiyuu work is the same as always, Tanaka Rie is a consolidated seiyuu by now, not a seiyuu over-hyped and over-rated by one(or 2) equally over-rated character/series, that got famous basically overnight.

I can only see majority of people congratulating her.
9988Jan 7, 2013 11:49 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
9 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.