MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

"We could never be friends.."
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» "We could never be friends.."

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
06-15-12, 2:50 PM

Ahh I have felt that. It's tough because that can likely give you a whole lot of information about them as a person. Since anime is generally pretty deep or meaningful, it can show you what that person values.

If they like things you hate, chances are they don't feel the same way about the things you value. x__x;;

06-15-12, 2:54 PM

I really get angry when a person hates the anime i love, but I can tolerate it and if that person wants I can talk with (s)he and we can be friends.

06-15-12, 2:56 PM

If they like things you hate, chances are they don't feel the same way about the things you value. x__x;;

But that doesn't make friendship impossible. Hell a big part of having real friends is knowing that their opinions are different from yours and accepting those differences.

06-15-12, 2:56 PM

Anime_Name said:
If you can be friends with people that don't like anime at all then you can be friends with anime fans that have different favorites than you. It's pretty superficial and childish to think otherwise.

I don't think this is the real problem some people may find here in MyAnimeList. Being a place that deals primarily with anime and manga I can understand -not share- the idea that some people may have towards fans who have very different tastes. The attitude of trying to avoid confrontation is quite common in this place, and they may think that trying to be friends with those fans in MyAnimeList would lead to disagreements and situations that will make them feel uncomfortable, because the conversations would be set on anime and manga after all.

I can't say I agree, it's just that I see other possible reasons other than being juvenile and non-accepting. Specially in this site, in real life there's other ways to build a relationship, but in this one there's a clear focus.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

06-15-12, 3:00 PM

@Anime_Name

Although that's true, it all depends on what you're talking about. If it's something very serious and they don't value it, then you're talking about some serious issues. Say people who're seriously into ecchi or overly sexual things. I am not a very sexual person and prefer to keep things like that private and out of my anime (as I've said on MAL before, if I'm looking for sex or things like that in an anime, I might as well watch hentai). So if someone is like that, it's unlikely we'll get along.

06-15-12, 3:10 PM

jal90 said:
Anime_Name said:
If you can be friends with people that don't like anime at all then you can be friends with anime fans that have different favorites than you. It's pretty superficial and childish to think otherwise.

I don't think this is the real problem some people may find here in MyAnimeList. Being a place that deals primarily with anime and manga I can understand -not share- the idea that some people may have towards fans who have very different tastes. The attitude of trying to avoid confrontation is quite common in this place, and they may think that trying to be friends with those fans in MyAnimeList would lead to disagreements and situations that will make them feel uncomfortable, because the conversations would be set on anime and manga after all.

I can't say I agree, it's just that I see other possible reasons other than being juvenile and non-accepting. Specially in this site, in real life there's other ways to build a relationship, but in this one there's a clear focus.

But that begs the question that does merely having different opinions on an anime list mean conflict will arise? Since anime is a niche market to begin with I can only assume that many of us here have friends that are not into anime at all and conflicts over our interest in anime has not been detrimental to our social lives.

If it's something very serious and they don't value it, then you're talking about some serious issues.

Of course degree of seriousniess matters but that's not something you can readily judge from an anime list or review.

Say people who're seriously into ecchi or overly sexual things. I am not a very sexual person and prefer to keep things like that private and out of my anime (as I've said on MAL before, if I'm looking for sex or things like that in an anime, I might as well watch hentai). So if someone is like that, it's unlikely we'll get along.

Well I hate to burst your bubble but there are plenty of sexual people out there, you probably even know some, but the only difference between your neighbors and the folks on MAL is that you know what kind of kink someone is into IF they put it on their anime list.(Knowing what someone likes doesn't mean they are going to try to include you) Please don't think that not knowing what someone's fetish is means they don't have a fetish.

06-15-12, 3:32 PM

Tachii said:
Ryekeel said:
GuZ said:
I'm totally okay with someone having different taste as long as it isn't embarrassingly bad. Having superficial and painful ecchi shows among your highest rated wouldn't really make a good impression on me, that's for sure.

And if people really hate my favourite shows? Don't mind it one bit. I know very well that they aren't everyone's cup of tea and I kind of prefer it to be that way. Would probably like to know the reason why they dislike them so much if we were to become friends though.

Pretty much like this. I'm not at all bothered with how much someone's taste differs from mine, but I'd rather they make concrete arguments as to why they disliked it, rather than simple one liners like "it sucked blah blah blah!".
You know what they say, opinions are fine and all, but if you can't remotely back it up, it's worth shit. Harsh, but it seems many people fail to realize this.

Ha! True! Can't be helped, I guess.

06-15-12, 3:32 PM

@Anime_Name

I disagree. You can get that pretty well from some anime. Not all of them, but you can get a pretty good impression.

I don't care if someone is into something or has fetishes. I care if it's something they are very public about. It's not my business and I can't say it's really anyone else's. In real life I'm not a fan of people who talk about sex a lot or crack sex jokes constantly, and I sure don't want that in my anime either.

If you like hentai or ecchi and don't put it on your list, you're likely keeping it personal. That's a-okay. If you have your list full of ecchi things and that's what you really enjoy, chances are I'm not interested in being your friend.

06-15-12, 3:46 PM

Opposites attract.

06-15-12, 4:10 PM

Anime_Name said:
jal90 said:
Anime_Name said:

But that begs the question that does merely having different opinions on an anime list mean conflict will arise? Since anime is a niche market to begin with I can only assume that many of us here have friends that are not into anime at all and conflicts over our interest in anime has not been detrimental to our social lives.

That's why I am making a difference between real life and MAL life. This site is for anime/manga fans and therefore the primary way of meeting people is through these things. Considering that most of the conversations will go, predictably, about this terms, that would mean a situation of "risk" for those who want to avoid any kind of discussion/confrontation.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

06-15-12, 4:39 PM

I accept that people have different taste and opinions, so if the other person accept that too, then i don't think we would have any problems being friends if we had other interests in common.

06-15-12, 4:48 PM

Differences are great and keep things diverse, sure. But you need some kind of common ground in anything in order to have a long lasting friendship.

If someone posted on my wall on here and started talking to me, and if I take a look at their ratings and taste, only to find his/her's dramatically opposite of mine, then our conversations won't go very far, as we'll simply disagree too much.

I can deal with knowing people offline that like different anime or don't really even watch it; that's different because I actually know the person. An anonymous user from MAL is a different ballgame, and it's best to keep some distance at that point.

There are people that click with each other, and there are some that simply have nothing of value to share with one another.

06-15-12, 6:08 PM

jal90 said:
Anime_Name said:
jal90 said:
Anime_Name said:

That's why I am making a difference between real life and MAL life. This site is for anime/manga fans and therefore the primary way of meeting people is through these things. Considering that most of the conversations will go, predictably, about this terms, that would mean a situation of "risk" for those who want to avoid any kind of discussion/confrontation.

I agree with Jal90 tho. If you're on this site and you're searching for friends, well, the first thing to talk about is anime.

If you're already COMPLETELY incompatible with anime then I don't know... It depends on the other person, but usually it won't go well.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.

06-15-12, 7:07 PM

Screw the list,I care about the person themselves.Just because we both love One Piece,doesn't mean I'm gonna ignore the fact that s/he is a psycho murdering rapist who profile pic is a pic of pedobear.
Anyway,there isn't really any type of anime I hate or really dislike.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

06-15-12, 8:22 PM

I don't hold any personal judgement on them. We all have different tastes in all kinds of things. Still, a great disparity in anime taste does often foreshadow differing values and interests, in other words, little to talk about but some times people are a pleasant surprise.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

06-15-12, 8:56 PM

I... really don't care what most people like. You can't be too picky with the friends you make.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.

06-16-12, 4:57 AM

I wouldn't really have a problem with it. If someone I was to become friends with didn't share the same complete anime interest as I, that wouldn't bother me. If they are a nice person it shouldn't reflect how you feel about them.

06-16-12, 10:06 AM

I have yet to befriend a person here who has way more different anime than mine.
Most of my friend share the same anime as mine by at least 50%.

Though, I am not that good at arguments... I will never be the one who backs down when the argument is about anime/manga. I had an argument with my friend how our rating differs, since my friend argues to me that my ranking on his favorite anime is low. So I defended myself and justified why my ranking on those anime aren't the same as him. So arguing about anime is good too, since you will know other peoples' perspectives.

They say, the more you fight and argue, indicates you get along better. And it doesn't mean having a different taste in anime doesn't mean you won't get along too. It is all up to yourself and how you get along with others.

06-16-12, 10:40 AM

jal90 said:

You're adding a lot of fluff to the argument that simply is not part of the topic at hand. It's great that you created some group of people who use MAL primarily for seeking out friends and who want to avoid any kind of discussion/conflict as those criteria seem tailor made for your point. However, different tastes in anime does not bar people from being friends. The listings function of MAL just makes people's opinions on the entertainment they watch known without having to engage in conversation or get to know the person first. Which basically opens the door to the kind of superficial judgement people tend to grow out of after kindergarten.

Your ridiculous criteria aside, If agreeing on anime/entertainment was a prerequisite for friendship then all of your friends would share your opinion of the shows you've watched. That's not impossible they'll all agree with you but it's more likely than not that they'll have some different opinions.

06-16-12, 10:51 AM

i think i'm the only one out of my friends to like romances and shojo type stuff a lot
for instance, dtb, clannad, air, fsn, steins;gate
that doesn't mean i'm not friends with them or whatever
also if you think because your tastes are different or whatever just go ahead and discuss your thoughts and your friends thoughts, might have more in common

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices