Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 30, 2015 4:05 AM

May 2014
Such an horrible way to die... This episode was very intense.

It's interesting watching an anime in first person view.
Dec 3, 2015 9:09 PM

Nov 2014
The feels. I wish I could've been there... to at least comfort her..
Apr 5, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2013
Damn that was hard to watch on some parts... her dying alone in that hole ;_;
Apr 29, 2016 7:03 AM

Oct 2009
Sooooooo.... she's like Enma Ai except she's the slutty version? :V

If the anime was this good on the earlier eps (less unnecessary fanservice and stuff >_>) it would've been better and I wouldn't have skipped some eps. I like the wholesome, innocent, kind-hearted Yuuko more, or even the psychotic Yuuko more. lol

May 14, 2016 1:09 AM

Aug 2013
Teiichi was distracting in this episode. We didn't have to see or hear him.
Sep 25, 2016 8:26 AM

May 2015
Wow that was an amazing episode.
Looks like people are saying that this part was better in the manga?

Look like I'll read that after watching this
Jan 31, 2017 6:07 PM

Jul 2015
It seems the anime and the manga are different, so I will speak just for the anime.

I always wondered - since the beginning - if she "deserved" the death or not - meaning if she did something (evil), or not to make people kill her that way. An accident was ruled out from a logical perspective, because then she wouldnt have held a grude against anyone and neither she would have become a ghost, nor she would split up into two persons. Also it turned out, she didnt have a grude against Agi, the girl she substituted for as a sacrifice. It wasnt clearly mentioned if Asa wanted a "trade", so the Red Woman legend came to birth, but even if, I wouldnt have really blamed her, the whole fault belonged to the elders who went nuts.

Superstition is always one of the most dangerous traits of humans, if they either cant explain something or they dont want to accept something and search for evil ways for their personal gains. Its basically the same with the IS now. They see the complete "non believer" wolrd as wrong and scum and want to allhinate them by either converting or killing them. The bizzare fact is, that they chose the terrorism method, so that theoretically they could kill theiir own kind in the process - but oh well Im drifting off.

Coming back to the first point. It would be quite a twist, if the original Yuuko would have been evil - at least to a certain degree - and the circumstances of her death would have been totally different. E.g. she could have killed in the past and was captured by a potential victim or a group that tried to save the victim or something like that. Just watch Halloween to get what I mean (Freddie Krüger). In that sence the personality split would have been on a whole different level, because the MC probably would never love the original Yuuko. But at least in the anime version this story will never be told.

In the end she was always a good girl, just her "bad" emotions got blocked out and even when she reunites with Shadow Yuuko, she basically will be the same again - the girl from the past 60 years ago seen in episode 10.
PirateMadrykJan 31, 2017 6:16 PM
Jul 3, 2017 9:28 PM

Sep 2014
Dying in such a confined and dark space is so cruel and horrible. ;-;
Jul 6, 2017 11:27 PM

Jul 2015
Ayy, at the very least, there wasn't any rape, but nonetheless, she suffered a horrible death... Man, it's crazy how much people can really change when push comes to shove.

caught in the wonder
Oct 7, 2017 4:18 PM

Apr 2009
Well, talk about deranged cruelty... Really sad, what happened to Yuuko, it's really one of the worst ways to die - alone in the darkness... although I'm not sure if it was from hunger or blood loss? It really wasn't all that clear to me, how much time had passed. It's no wonder she got mentally unstable in her last moments.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Oct 9, 2017 10:09 AM
Sep 2015
I'm rewatching this anime and realized is the curse that they talk about is it actually due to the Fallout of the nuclear bombs that the US drop on Japan on Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945. That would explain why people were dying from it. They don't really talk about what is causing the curse but the bombs would explain a lot.
Oct 18, 2017 6:54 AM

Sep 2012
Cenedess said:
Well, talk about deranged cruelty... Really sad, what happened to Yuuko, it's really one of the worst ways to die - alone in the darkness... although I'm not sure if it was from hunger or blood loss? It really wasn't all that clear to me, how much time had passed. It's no wonder she got mentally unstable in her last moments.

ajayy said:

watch Jigoku Shoujo/hell Girl
https://myanimelist.net/anime/228/Jigoku_Shoujo?q=hell%20girl
she has similar back story how she became a angel of vengeance considering what she does u could call her that, only thing contracting her has heavy price, ur soul, in has 25 near end it comes out cause a freelance reporter starts to investigate strange disappearances so it has mystery to, its kind of slow paste so its possible that from ep1 to i don't know maybe to 16 or18 u may get bored, its starts to pick up later cause at first its each ep one story of a person that is pushed as far to call her out to contract her, ofc she is supernatural being just like a ghost

but there is a anime called Another, this is more similar to this then hell girl, but no ghost, but a lot of superstition & ppl loosing their minds like when that one girl tried to kill all the ghost stories, but how its more similar u half to watch it to see it, cause i will spoil it if i start to explain it :D
Sugram22Oct 18, 2017 7:01 AM
Oct 18, 2017 7:00 AM

Sep 2012
Breakfastloaf said:
I'm rewatching this anime and realized is the curse that they talk about is it actually due to the Fallout of the nuclear bombs that the US drop on Japan on Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945. That would explain why people were dying from it. They don't really talk about what is causing the curse but the bombs would explain a lot.

i am re-watching as well, its been at least a year when i last so it
Feb 12, 2018 7:18 PM

Feb 2012
That was a really intense episode. We finally get to see Yuuko's past. Seeing her slowly die alone from I assume blood loss and/or oxygen deprivation was heartbreaking to watch. Really shitty way to die.
Apr 19, 2018 12:26 PM

Mar 2018
This episode made me appreciate Yuuko more. The amnesiac "Light Yuuko" is sweet, but she is also very selfish. The "complete" Yuuko is so kind and brave and a wonderful girl. This gives me hope that she can heal and learn to be truly compassionate and loving again. :)

Zhou said:
What was up with Teiichi, why was he a kid while he experienced the flashback?

I also thought that was weird. My best guess is that he feels childlike because he is so powerless, just watching and unable to affect anything.

windeen-windy said:
I completely agree with you- I thought about dropping the series early on because she kept throwing herself at Teichi.... It's notr that I had a problem with it much, it just seemed that that was all she had on her mind: Molesting him.
But now it feels like she was using that as a way to distract herself (and him) from her sadness. Even though she kept forgetting her sadness she still knew deep down that there was something she did not want to remember.

This is a very good point. As I have said elsewhere, Yuuko may be a highly flawed girlfriend, but she at least has a much better excuse than most anime girlfriends, due to her serious mental illness. In my eyes, Yuuko is doing the best she can.

ptv said:
Ziafung said:
I hope I' m not the only one who didn' t really understand, why she suddenly got angry after looking at the mirror in that shrine. Did Yuuko' s dark side took form through that mirror?

Finally! after reading 3 pages i found someone who noticed that too! I understand that she saw her ruined face covered in blood and it was shocking, but i don't think it would be that big shock to suddenly release her whole hatred and other negative feelings. Is there someone who understands it better or something?

My guess is that it rocked her self-image. Yuuko was used to being young and beautiful. She suddenly saw her own face in a more dishevelled state than ever before - bruised, bloody and smeared with grime. I think this glimpse of her less-beautiful outer self made her aware of the less-beautiful sides of her inner self - she gradually grows aware of her dark feelings of anger, hate and despair, and she recoils from them.

Suguha01 said:

Oooooooo, that may be. This town seems quite isolated and uneducated, so it makes good sense that they might not know about nuclear fallout. Great observation!
Apr 19, 2018 1:53 PM

Mar 2009
Sugram22 said:
Cenedess said:

ajayy said:

watch Jigoku Shoujo/hell Girl
https://myanimelist.net/anime/228/Jigoku_Shoujo?q=hell%20girl
she has similar back story how she became a angel of vengeance considering what she does u could call her that, only thing contracting her has heavy price, ur soul, in has 25 near end it comes out cause a freelance reporter starts to investigate strange disappearances so it has mystery to, its kind of slow paste so its possible that from ep1 to i don't know maybe to 16 or18 u may get bored, its starts to pick up later cause at first its each ep one story of a person that is pushed as far to call her out to contract her, ofc she is supernatural being just like a ghost

but there is a anime called Another, this is more similar to this then hell girl, but no ghost, but a lot of superstition & ppl loosing their minds like when that one girl tried to kill all the ghost stories, but how its more similar u half to watch it to see it, cause i will spoil it if i start to explain it :D

I came here because someone else quoted something I said when this was first airing. But, I wanted to point out that, in "Another" - there was a ghost and a curse. I dont mean to be rude, however... Saying there were no ghosts is inacurate.... What you described sounded more like Higurashi, to me (saying that it was just people losing their minds).
In Another, the paranoia and killing only started as a secondary issue caused by the curse.
And the curse was there, because there was a ghost- the two went hand-in-hand.
My reasoning is further explained below under a spoiler tag- read it at your own discression (if whoever sees this has not finished "Another" yet....):

SpectrumDT said:
This episode made me appreciate Yuuko more. The amnesiac "Light Yuuko" is sweet, but she is also very selfish. The "complete" Yuuko is so kind and brave and a wonderful girl. This gives me hope that she can heal and learn to be truly compassionate and loving again. :)

windeen-windy said:
I completely agree with you- I thought about dropping the series early on because she kept throwing herself at Teichi.... It's notr that I had a problem with it much, it just seemed that that was all she had on her mind: Molesting him.
But now it feels like she was using that as a way to distract herself (and him) from her sadness. Even though she kept forgetting her sadness she still knew deep down that there was something she did not want to remember.

This is a very good point. As I have said elsewhere, Yuuko may be a highly flawed girlfriend, but she at least has a much better excuse than most anime girlfriends, due to her serious mental illness. In my eyes, Yuuko is doing the best she can.

I was surprised to see a quote from this after so long lol. :) glad to know that others agree with me. I really liked Yuuko after the series was over... But I liked the manga more (it wasn't finished when the anime finished,

I also ended up liking Kirie a lot more by the end of both the anime and manga.
windeen-windyApr 19, 2018 2:00 PM
Aug 15, 2018 7:57 AM

May 2016
Other than being the usual bubbly and happy-go-lucky girl she always was, Yuuko was also a very considerate person who put other people's well being before herself and she's not afraid to admit that. After seeing what actually happened, I now know that accepting her past wouldn't be an easy thing to do at all.

Those village elders proposing to take the life of an innocent person to make up for the trouble they've caused while casting the blame of selecting a sacrifice to a child that didn't know any better was sickening. The brutality of what they did to Yuuko was not excusable even with the plague going on. Her selfless side accepted her martyrdom because she believed that her sacrifice would prevent others from dying but after seeing how mangled she actually was reminded her that she's going to suffer until death for no good reason why and showed intense fear like how anyone else would've.

The conflict between her selflessness and her hatred towards those who were both purposefully and accidentally responsible for her death coupled with intense hunger, stress, and lack of oxygen was actually the reason why her mind snapped into two and Teiichi felt her pain through Shadow Yuuko every step of the way... It might be obvious but I really hope that he'll find a way for her to move on somehow.

Aug 15, 2018 7:58 AM
Jul 2018
every episode is so average at most
Apr 19, 2019 11:11 AM
Mar 2018
Why is Niiya protrayed as a child in her memories? That makes no sense, since his father isn't possibly been born at that time.

But this seriously needs a drama tag! Just hope those old geezers got payback for murder.

So far pretty standard village backwards thinking. Not very ingenious of them, but it always works.

What do you guys think the "mysterious" disease was? I first thought it to be something like the plague that broke out in some cities in japan after the war, but then the past is probably set in the 50's not late 40's, so I then thought Diphteria, but they didn't show the symptoms. So maybe? Possibly like tuberculosis.

Also, her splitting in the end made no sense. I mean, she was getting weaker and weaker over time, but in the last moments before death or rather passing out first, you would probably get very lightheaded and not full of hatred. But then i again it's a ghost story and this is supernatural, so why aren't there more ghosts then?
DonTrumpolinoApr 19, 2019 11:52 AM
May 7, 2019 4:53 AM

Aug 2011
First off: props for this being one of the best (if not the best) POV episodes I've ever seen. That being said... man this was tragic my heart hurt every step of the way.

Yuuko's death was cruel in the worst kinds of ways, starving, painful, bleeding out.. eventually she passed away in the dark.

I'm eager to read the manga fully and see how it differs, but this was pretty good. I can see how Shadow Yuuko came to pass, this would shatter the minds of most people (if not all). I feel awful for both of them: Yuuko for originally experiencing it, and Shadow Yuuko for bearing the full brunt of it, always, that's a heavy burden.
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises... nothing shall forestall my return!"

Jul 22, 2019 11:32 AM

Oct 2016
Why is Teiichi depicted as a child? Given the timeline that makes 0 sense.
Yuuko's death was actually pretty sad. I thought they were gonna go the "well I'm dying for a good cause" route at first because of what she was saying, but then her mood totally shifted into pure fear and terror. That was a lot more realistic.
EDIT:
Updated signature because Tinypic is shutting down.

PikslapJul 28, 2019 6:25 PM
Aug 19, 2019 7:13 AM

Oct 2012
People back then are really stupid with sacrifices and stuffs

Oh now I know why Kirie don't have big boobs xD

Huh.. it's not that bad as I expected
I mean it's still cruel but I guess she should have been more prepared before storming in
Like tell everyone that she's going to stop sacrifice ceremony in the school

I was thinking about Shadow (Kage) Yuuko and feel bad about her existance
But Hara Yumi's haunting voice is really nice xD
Rayl1ghtAug 19, 2019 7:17 AM
"Signature removed"
Oct 12, 2019 8:56 AM
Jan 2018
Looks like Teiichi was only depisted as a child in certain events . Near the end he was his normal self
Jan 9, 2020 9:46 AM

Aug 2018
I dislike girls in this anime giving slaps on the face on left and right..
Well, we finally learned the truth about everything.. Asa was chosen as the red skin person, she named Yuuko, because she appeared at not the right moment, even if she tried to save Asa.. It's all a big shit.. So.. Now what?.. Where we're going with anime now?..
Apr 8, 2020 4:34 AM

Dec 2013
Whoah, I happened to watch this during corona virus outbreak and it's really creepy to think about the plague that happened and Yuuko got sacrificed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like what happened to Yuuko. It's definitely horrible. But I think this is the best EP so far aside from the school festival EP. I like how everything was portrayed, art, animation, and background music.

But Yuuko got a habit of slapping. Geez

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 20, 2020 7:13 AM
Jun 2013
Yuuko's voice actress did an amazing job with her lines at the end when Yuuko was crying out for help. Particularly the part where she goes "I know you can hear me! Help me!"

The crack in her voice broke my heart.
Jul 10, 2020 2:26 AM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
SpectrumDT said:
Suguha01 said:

Oooooooo, that may be. This town seems quite isolated and uneducated, so it makes good sense that they might not know about nuclear fallout. Great observation!

That seems unlikely, first because fallout doesn't tend to cause immediate illness, unless you were very close to the burst, plus radiation sickness doesn't tend to manifest with respiratory symptoms. It also would be less likely to kill families one by one, but rather it would affect the whole village simultaneously.
DonTrumpolino said:
What do you guys think the "mysterious" disease was? I first thought it to be something like the plague that broke out in some cities in japan after the war, but then the past is probably set in the 50's not late 40's, so I then thought Diphtheria, but they didn't show the symptoms. So maybe? Possibly like tuberculosis.

Diphtheria is a possibility, but it would have had a treatment in that time period (diphtheria antitoxin) and would probably be clearly recognized. Tuberculosis doesn't kill quickly enough to match the mystery disease. I'd guess influenza, since it would be easily confused with a cold, though the death rate is definitely high for influenza. Pneumonic plague would also be possible, but in that case the old coughing man wouldn't be up and about. Overall, I think it's the run-of-the-mill mystery anime illness, carefully stored in authorial stockpiles until a group of plot-worthy characters need some suffering and/or death.

As for how Yuuko died, I'd agree with @windeen-windy that she died of blood loss, especially since she dragged herself around the room so much, which would have made it hard for a large wound to stop bleeding.

Overall, I enjoyed that this episode demonstrated clearly that the true source of horror in the world is always human cruelty. Nature may visit many terrible things upon man, but she is a harsh mistress, not a cruel one. Cruelty is the domain of man. Horror is an attractive genre because it reminds us that the villain isn't just out there in the world, they are also in our heart waiting for the chance to be let free. The best horror also gives us a good hint that we shouldn't let that villain free.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Sep 16, 2021 3:14 AM
Jun 2021
abaanda said:
thank god she didnt get raped!!!!!
yeah I'm glad that wasn't the case
When I saw episode 9 I really thought those were the flashbacks of her getting raped... I was disappointed when I saw that, but I'm glad it wasn't the case
Nov 15, 2021 9:00 AM
Feb 2020
M I the only one who saw the plot holes, first she made a dumb mistake and went alone in the school to save ASA and second there were a lot of candles, she could burn the whole place down and escape
Nov 15, 2021 9:01 AM
Feb 2020
Chrollo_Rufus said:
abaanda said:
thank god she didnt get raped!!!!!
yeah I'm glad that wasn't the case
When I saw episode 9 I really thought those were the flashbacks of her getting raped... I was disappointed when I saw that, but I'm glad it wasn't the case

Yep I thought that too
Nov 17, 2021 10:18 AM

Mar 2019
Damn such a good and serious episode, that perspective was somewhat interesting at first but got kind of annoying later on, seeing those hands carrying Teiichi even though it was all an illusion.

I really hate those shitty elders, they can all go to hell. Goes to show how fragile a human's psyche is.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Aug 29, 2023 2:46 AM

Dec 2022
Yuuko appeared to be somewhat of a bitch back then as well, with slapping her younger sister and all. Explains her violent tendencies later on.

As I figured, she was sacrificed by her village in a ritual. Now what happened to Asa and Yukariko?

Shaded Horizon

Oct 3, 2023 7:35 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
sad and tragic memories!!! kekeke
Oct 29, 2023 9:51 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well, not the most pleasant adventure in your ghost girlfriend’s body, but there were good times and very bad times lol. Jokes aside, a very upsetting episode, especially near the end, poor Asa didn’t even mean for Yuuko to be a sacrifice but I almost wonder if Asa is related to Okonogi, and that’s partly why Yuuko has been aggressive with her, but that’s purely speculation lol. And damn, that final scene where she was sitting against Teiichi while dying, really sad stuff, but now I wonder what the next move is now that Teiichi knows Yuuko’s past, guess I’ll have to wait and find out.

And as a footnote, Yukariko was pretty cute too lol, I can see where Kirie gets her own cuteness from.
Dec 27, 2023 1:03 AM

Mar 2010
Poor Yuuko :( Sad she was there in those times
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jun 17, 2012

156 by Ronninn »»
Mar 26, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2012

567 by Ronninn »»
Mar 26, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 3, 2012

142 by Karva1 »»
Mar 13, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2012

169 by Karva1 »»
Mar 12, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - May 20, 2012

149 by Karva1 »»
Mar 12, 7:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.