Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 11, 2012 7:22 PM

Mar 2012
JakeeDylan said:

That implies quite a bit of preparation on her part, not to mention that rope climbing is pretty darn hard. Though I'll admit we can't discard as a possibility just yet. As far as I know it's possible, though improbable. She would have had to guess that he would be in the room directly under hers.

Kaitou is in fact lying on his side, clutching his arm where a hand was cut off. The reason for his death hasn't been explicitly shown, though I'm willing to assume blood loss.

Since they're in a theatre, the backstage/hall are most likely soundproofed, which would lend credibility as to why he wasn't heard screaming and makes Katsuta's behaviour much more suspicious, as he did take his time inspecting the rooms and could have possibly lied about the door being locked. It's highly improbable that Katsuta is the killer however, seeing as he has so many obstacles (Yamanishi, Sugimura).

One thing I've been wondering about is whether or not the footage after they go their respective ways is cut. If it is, then we have no idea how long they were separated, which makes it hard, and if it wasn't, then we can already rule out at the very least three people as suspects, and that would be Sugimura, Yamanishi and Katsuta.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 11, 2012 7:27 PM

Jun 2011
tsubasalover said:
Finally, I've waiting for him!! It's the reason I watch Hyouka. The megane guy in the film!! Voiced by Miyu-Miyu!!

0o0 *Fangirl squeal* MIYU IRINO IS HERE?! I WILL KEEP WATCHING!
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Jun 11, 2012 8:12 PM

Mar 2012
JakeeDylan said:

After looking back a bit, the crime scene has quite a few unusual sightings. The first would be the glass spread across the floor. Where did this come from? The reception rooms.
It's already nearly impossible for Katsuta and Yamanishi to commit the crime as you've said, seeing as they are together, and the obstacle (bookcase and TV monitors) in their path to that room.

The only normal path to that room is from the lobby, so unless Suginuma did it, it would've needed to have been prepared.

Kaitou's bag was removed from his right arm and placed at a spot. You can see it was removed as he has his eyes closed and mouth shut. He must've been knocked out in someway, and then had his arm removed. No matter how you think about it, removing someone's arm when they are awake is almost impossible without someone struggling. I would think someone used the glass from the reception room to knock him out someway, and then used a tool such as a bone-saw to remove the part of his arm.

I still need to think about who could've done it... At this point, it's directed towards Suginuma.

Ah, I just noticed something else. There is a bottle on top of a box to the right of the window. Could it be someone actually normally convinced him to drink it by running over there normally (most likely Suginuma) and doing so? It looks as if he didn't struggle, but someone created an unnatural scene.
The glass in the reception room comes from the counter which was partly made of glass. Its frame is still visible in the scene where Kousune finds the floor map.

Seeing as the hand that was cut off is the one holding the key(Notice it is not the hand he picked the key up with, might have some importance), which made me think that the hand might have been cut off in self defense. Kaitou, realizing the threat, would've defended himself with the only weapon he has, but the killer somehow cut off his hand(Quite cleanly I might add). It doesn't really add up because cutting bone takes a lot of effort, but I'm not ready to discard it as a possibility.

As for his bag, I would assume he dropped it when he saw his attacker, as it's only a burden.

In the case he was surprised(Which would probably make more sense), however, what would be the point of removing his bag? and why remove his hand?

I didn't find the bottle you spoke of, when exactly is it most visible?

After rewatching, I noticed that, before opening the window, Katsuta seems to turn a lock of sorts which suggests that the window is in fact locked from the inside, which in turn means Kousune couldn't have climbed through the window and back.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 11, 2012 10:26 PM

Mar 2012
I think the reason that I love Hyouka so much is because it does a wonderful job depicting real life. The characters do and say things that happen for real.
Jun 12, 2012 12:58 AM

Mar 2012
leahcat said:
I think the reason that I love Hyouka so much is because it does a wonderful job depicting real life. The characters do and say things that happen for real.
I think this is also the reason so many people find it boring: It's too real. Too mundane.

Not that I think it's a bad thing, au contraire. I love my Slices of Life and Hyouka does an amazing job at it. I'm sure going to miss watching the new episode every sunday when it ends, but that's in three months so there's no reason to be concerned about that.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 12, 2012 1:11 AM
Feb 2012
i lol'ed at houtarou as the strength
Jun 12, 2012 1:17 AM

Oct 2011
shairn said:
Seeing as the hand that was cut off is the one holding the key(Notice it is not the hand he picked the key up with, might have some importance), which made me think that the hand might have been cut off in self defense. Kaitou, realizing the threat, would've defended himself with the only weapon he has, but the killer somehow cut off his hand(Quite cleanly I might add). It doesn't really add up because cutting bone takes a lot of effort, but I'm not ready to discard it as a possibility.

As for his bag, I would assume he dropped it when he saw his attacker, as it's only a burden.

In the case he was surprised(Which would probably make more sense), however, what would be the point of removing his bag? and why remove his hand?

I didn't find the bottle you spoke of, when exactly is it most visible?

After rewatching, I noticed that, before opening the window, Katsuta seems to turn a lock of sorts which suggests that the window is in fact locked from the inside, which in turn means Kousune couldn't have climbed through the window and back.

Just saying:
- If you say that cut hand it's not the same that took the key it may mean that it was put there to give false evidence - like fact he was trying to get away from locked room and while doing it, it was cut off
- window, from what I saw, wasn't closed but still opening it might be another way of distracting others as way that attacker came - which most probably is coming simply by the doors and leaving it also this way - this throws suspicion at one person that was opening the door, Yellow Guy (it might be also Glasses-kun but than he would need to go: first for master key, than to kill that fellow, lock him and than return to his room)

It may be also that he was killed in different place and than took to that room - as this glass is weird (there is window broken that could give it) but than, why bringing it also.
Something supporting this theory is: if he would be killed in that room he might have been heard via this "corridor" between rooms - and killer might wanted to be sure no one will notice it.
Lack of reason why he died really sucks in this series.

PS. Why didn't they ask EBA? - nice reference to the novel :) but it's hard to connect what happened in it with what happened in series (except clear fact they should simply ask her)
Jun 12, 2012 1:35 AM

Mar 2012
If Kaitou had been killed in another room there would be a trail of blood leading up to the body. I highly doubt any of them are capable of lifting him in their arms.

The window in the murder room was most definitely closed, else Katsuta couldn't have opened it. I doubt he opened it to give others the idea that the killer came or went through there, if that's what you mean, because they're kind of in the room with him and it's readily apparent that the grass was not stepped on. Of course, that raises the issue of climbing through the window on the floor above that we discussed earlier, but if I'm correct and Katsuta did indeed have to unlock the window before opening it it would have been impossible for the killer to either enter or leave by there.

I raised a point on /a/ concerning being killed in the backstage and being heard by someone in the connecting room - Even though there are two doors to the backstage, it would make no sense to make two different keys since the two doors lead to what is essentially a single room, meaning that Kaitou's key, if it indeed unlocks the right backstage, would also unlock the left backstage, meaning that there would be no one in the left backstage or the hall to hear him getting killed.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 12, 2012 1:49 AM

Nov 2006
GarLogan78 said:
Weren't the people chatting in the beginning Irisu and Chitanda?
Irisu was texting the movie's scriptwriter, and she chatted with her senpai and Eru on the computer.

Did Houtarou mention when his sister graduated? I feel like he did but I can't remember/don't have the episodes anymore to check. Irisu's senpai being Houtarou's sister seems pretty obvious to me, but for some reason I thought they had a bigger age difference.
Jun 12, 2012 1:52 AM

Oct 2011
Maybe not killed but knocked unconscious - than there will be no trace of blood. Still why making this diversion with cutting his hand of as I don't think it had any meaning at all (why cut it and than leave it on the ground?)
But that is secondary theory for me.

Yellow Guy is Katsuta... good to know.
For me simply his behaviour is weird - while everyone is looking at the body he passes it and goes, almost straight, to the window. And opens it. With that amount of shock I wouldn't be surprised that people would have problem with noticing it.
I simply don't see evidences for anyone else - except Glass-kun but him touching the blood would be to lame, and there is no evidence supporting fact that someone climbed in or out of the window.
Jun 12, 2012 2:20 AM

Apr 2008
Dalek-baka said:
Still why making this diversion with cutting his hand of as I don't think it had any meaning at all (why cut it and than leave it on the ground?)

I'm pretty sure that is just a way to show the audience that the victim isn't just faking his death.

Jun 12, 2012 11:13 AM

Jul 2011
Man the movie was so damn boring, I had the same reaction as Houtaru when she asked who the culprit was (I wasn't really paying attention or really care). Man this show can either be really good or really boring, I don't get why this isn't just a SOL instead of being a mystery show with SOL elements. The mysteries are just so damn boring.
Jun 12, 2012 12:02 PM

Mar 2012
windy said:
GarLogan78 said:
Weren't the people chatting in the beginning Irisu and Chitanda?
Irisu was texting the movie's scriptwriter, and she chatted with her senpai and Eru on the computer.

Did Houtarou mention when his sister graduated? I feel like he did but I can't remember/don't have the episodes anymore to check. Irisu's senpai being Houtarou's sister seems pretty obvious to me, but for some reason I thought they had a bigger age difference.
I can't be arsed to check right now, but I'm pretty sure Houtarou's sister graduated several years before. Besides, she's traveling around the world at the moment, so it wouldn't make much sense to ask her if she'd be available on a particular day.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 12, 2012 7:31 PM

Feb 2009
That movie was painfully to watch.
Jun 12, 2012 10:12 PM
Mar 2011
I have my bets on yellow shirt guy.

1. The window of the second room in the right hallway where white shirt guy goes down is clearly open. Yellow shirt guy could have easily exited a window in the room he checked, swung around the building, entered through the open window, killed white shirt guy, close the door and exited through the open window back to his room.

2. The most likely person to interfere with yellow shirt guy is the blue dress girl who goes down the same hall he does. However, we can infer from the conversation yellow shirt guy has with blue dress girl that they did not see each other or converse with each other until they were walking back to the lobby to meet up again. Blue dress girl tells him that her room is unusable, while yellow shirt guy tells her the same for the room he checked. This means that they did not see/talk to each other after entering their respective rooms.

3. Yellow shirt guy is the only one who tries to open the door. He says that it is locked, but this could easily be a lie.

4. Purple sweater girl is the most suspicious, so she probably isn't the murderer... Also, purple sweater girl takes the right hall of the second floor. To get to white shirt guy she'd have to either double back down the lobby or jump out the second floor and enter through the open window, but she'd still have to re-enter through the lobby to get back to her section. Either way, she would probably raise the suspicion of glasses guy in the room overlooking the lobby. Some people have suggested that she could have used a rope to get down to the first floor unseen. I don't think so, mainly because they say that the killer could be inferred just by what is shown in the movie.

I don't know what's up with the severed arm, though. It seems to indicate that white shirt guy was incapacitated before being killed, perhaps? You can't hack an arm off someone without some screaming.
captainwalrusJun 12, 2012 10:17 PM
Jun 13, 2012 1:21 AM

Jan 2010
The actors did not act good at all xD.. and as usual.. Oreki gets dragged by Chitanda again haha..

Well, I'd like to see what happens next episode..
Jun 13, 2012 1:32 AM

Oct 2011
captainwalrus said:
I have my bets on yellow shirt guy.

1. The window of the second room in the right hallway where white shirt guy goes down is clearly open. Yellow shirt guy could have easily exited a window in the room he checked, swung around the building, entered through the open window, killed white shirt guy, close the door and exited through the open window back to his room.

While still I'm with this theory it couldn't been done this way - grass outside the room is unmoved, which would be the case if someone would be using that way (still window is open albeit stuck)
Still moment when he checks the door is suspicious - as he doesn't try it. He just grabs the knob and tells it's closed.
Jun 13, 2012 7:26 AM

Jan 2011
Plenty of clues about the mystery, I'm not going to list them since others already did.
Next episode looks fun, class 2-F's movie looks like Another imo.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 13, 2012 9:49 AM

Apr 2010
renkinotaku said:
I was totally thinking of the Persona Game Series, when they were talking about the tarot cards. LOL I would have said Oreki was Star too, never even thought about him being strength. Of course Satoshi would be Magician >.<
Laid-back episode. Hopefully more comedy and ChitandaXOreki in the next episode XD

Chitanda should be The Sun, she is always positive about everything.

MaxCrazy7 said:

They acted awfully, but it's funny because it's hard to see bad acting in an anime.
Jun 13, 2012 11:50 AM
Sep 2009
can someone please tell me the name of the song playing, whille theyre typing in the pc?

thank you
Jun 13, 2012 6:05 PM

Jul 2008
I feel like the girl that came to get them at their club's room is the writter of the story and that she is merely trying to test the classic club with her piece.

kratos_aurion said:

MaxCrazy7 said:

They acted awfully, but it's funny because it's hard to see bad acting in an anime.

They acted like how 14-15 yo without much talent would, I think that portrayed quite well how amator movies that adolescents make on their own for fun look like.
Other than the basketball guy that was obviously nervous and the bad scream the rest of the movie clearly wasn't that bad for people their ages.
Jun 13, 2012 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
That episode felt really, really short to me for some reason. So much that I watched it twice just to make I didn't miss anything. The whole episode was pretty much set up to the next. Oh well, I hope that means the mystery will be good and interesting next episode.
Jun 14, 2012 7:57 AM
Mar 2012
Every character except Oreki is taking things way too serius.
Jun 14, 2012 8:57 AM

Oct 2010
Tyrel said:
Episode was plain. The voicing even if its an amateur filming just sucked hard. I couldn't stand listening to them screaming there voices louder than they should have when talking on film. The film IMO was a waste of 5-7 minutes.

They do this for comedy effect.It also seems more realistic because the actors are amateurs.If the filming quality is as good as the anime,hyouka itself,I think it will feel like sb is recalling his or her memory but not acting.
Signature Removed
Jun 14, 2012 8:18 PM

Jan 2012
NO!!! Damn you two parters! >_> Now i have to wait til next week. Seriously, couldn't they have at least picked a better cliff hanger to leave it on? I feel like this episode dragged on a bit more than it needed to. Also, this episode lacks more Chitanda and Oreki moments >=O!

Off-topic, Am i the only one that thinks Chitanda looks so much prettier with her hair tied back?
Jun 15, 2012 1:58 AM

Nov 2011
Solid episode... I didn't mind the episode but yeah hahaha....
Oh well solid stuff regardless 4/5
Jun 15, 2012 2:18 AM

Jun 2009
There's a word in spanish which reminds me of Chitanda in every single episode: Metiche (meddlesome).
Srsly, she drives me crazy sometimes. But everything else is okay I guess.

That black-haired senpai freaked me out, by the way o_O
Jun 15, 2012 9:41 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
tohzuki said:
Srsly, she drives me crazy sometimes. But everything else is okay I guess.
I am reminded of the song "Just What I Needed" by The Cars - it seems to describe what Oreki is going through ;)
Jun 15, 2012 11:45 AM

Apr 2011
This episode was just STUPID.

Their film was so stupid, actors have spoken too loud and they haven't expressed too much emotion. Very alternative film.

stupid.

Hyouka gets worse.
The author of the screenplay for the film has fainted. So what? Hasn't she woke up? Has she die or what!? NONSENSE! Irisu denied. So why they don't just go to her and ask her about the ending?

stupid stupid.

Chitanda and her eyes slowly begins to annoy me - it seems that I have great patience.

stupidstupidstupidstupidstupid.

Only Houtarou "humph" when they showed tarot cards has made me laugh a little.
Jun 15, 2012 5:56 PM

Feb 2010
that was painful.... boring.
Jun 17, 2012 3:19 AM

Aug 2011
I just saw the episode and came here to coment, but I can't remember what was about =_=...

I think was boring... ¬¬
Jun 17, 2012 11:06 AM

Nov 2009
Half of me was expecting the ever cool Houtarou to save the day again but in the end my other half is glad that we 3 interesting newbie detectives to appear in the next episode, in addition to Fuyumi who set the stage. I'm not sure what Eba's role will be in this whole thing but her little conversation with Houtarou and co felt like it was full of clues to solve the mystery. Overall it was a nice introduction to the mystery. Hopefully it'll fold out as good.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Jun 17, 2012 7:16 PM

Feb 2008
Kaitou isn't dead, maybe he wanted to make the trip rememberable, and supplied a fake limb, and some blood. then hid his arm in his shirt.

also, there is something going on, everyone of those guys tried to get something out of houtaru, it is therefore obvious to me that they were told something about him going in.

I believe his sister was also responsible for getting Iris to enlist the help of the classics club.

I also believe that something bad happened to the scriptwriter.... perhaps something unmentionable... after all, why do they seemingly not dish out information on her? she isn't Sick, she's therefore either DEAD, or Gone, Coma?

Anyways, there is more than meets the eye and if you concentrate and go back and look at the last couple episodes, you'll start to see things you didn't before... if you think there is something there to see, if your paranoid enough to think there is something there, like I was going into them.

how do you make a good series great? subtle foreshadowing.
Jun 22, 2012 8:24 AM

Oct 2011
That's the shittest movie I've ever seen. They way they speak is so fake and everything else as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2012 2:49 PM

Jun 2008
itsvero said:
The bad acting in the movie was so hilariously portrayed.

Yeah i was laughing so much on the fact that they portrayed the bad acting by complete amateurs.

As about the murderer. I'll just go with the silent black hair girl since she pointed at the house and she seemed to know quite a lot about it. She went alone when they split and showed complete lack of surprise at the murder scene(that could be because of being bored of the movie but anyway). Probably there's a reason behind the keys and blueprint of the mansion and stuff but am do bored to seat and decipher the blueprint. It did seemed that the room might be connected to another there at the end though.

The one writing the story seems to be a mystery too. If she is so diligent as her friend said then what kind of sickness does she have that would stop her or make her unavailable to even tell them the killer. It seems more like she's unwilling to continue but why?

DJ007 said:
That's the shittest movie I've ever seen. They way they speak is so fake and everything else as well.

That was the point. To show that this are schoolkids that know nothing about acting convincingly. A little like the acting in porn movies that have some supposed plot.
MonadJun 29, 2012 3:31 PM
Jul 24, 2012 4:19 AM

May 2012
A mystery about a mystery about a mystery? Interesting...
Jul 30, 2012 3:31 AM

May 2012
next episode will be interesting!
[/URL]
Aug 17, 2012 4:42 AM

Oct 2009
Boring.
Aug 17, 2012 1:37 PM

Nov 2007
When i started to get into history, episode ended... Next one gonna be fun.
Introduction of that blue-haired girl made me remember of Haruhi Suzumiya ;>
Sep 7, 2012 11:03 AM

Jan 2010
ClementIV said:
Fuyumi >= Eru! I kind of like Fuyumi more, she is the type of character that attracts my attention.

^This

I like that Irisu character!
Sep 9, 2012 11:55 PM

Jun 2009
What about ZA WARUDO?
Sep 25, 2012 3:48 PM

Apr 2008
The movie was the most exciting part of this ep.

Sep 26, 2012 1:38 AM

Sep 2011
I'm actually liking the concept of this episode. Looking forward to the next one! =p
Oct 9, 2012 2:40 PM

May 2012
Interesting yet slow pas in story development episode still nice to see something concerning a self made movie!
Oct 16, 2012 10:15 PM

Nov 2009
Seems like an extremely roundabout way to do this, especially since Oreki will probably wind up solving it at the end, but oh well.
Nov 7, 2012 2:00 PM

Jan 2012
LMAO when the girl screamed when she saw the dead body xD the whole film was so bad, but it was one of those 'so bad its funny' I like the whole 'whodunnit' thing so I think this will be a nice little arc...

Also the three detectives at the end look interesting, specially the girl. Loving the anime though, growing on me so hard!
Nov 9, 2012 9:20 AM

Jun 2011
Is it just me or the actor/actress really have bad acting skills, either that, or the VAs is bad lol which I doubt
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 26, 2012 1:52 AM
Mar 2009
Wow, animation really improved for this episode. I mean, they took so much effort to make it look like a Blair Witch type movie.

Anyhow, I wonder what sorta sickness the author of the mystery movie has... and why they didn't do an outline of the plot before they started, if not doing the whole script before they even started filiming, I mean, I guess even in professional movies they re-write the script sometimes during production but isn't the norm to finish a first draft at least? So you can schedule the photo shoots according to scenes, you first gotta have all the scenes and locations!

Well, whatever, it was interesting and I'm looking forwards to more... have no idea who did it...
Jan 9, 2013 9:09 AM

Jun 2009
Loved the way the movie was portrayed. Probably just as bad as most high school student films would be.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 24, 2013 7:28 AM
Dec 2012
The movie was so... -________-
It's obvious they aren't interested in it because of their acting.
And the Classics Club relying on Houtarou again O__o
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.