Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 22, 2011 12:36 PM

Apr 2010
Lelou is awesome... again... he's a genius <3
I don't feel pity for Mao anymore, he deserves his death.

Jan 24, 2011 4:38 PM

Aug 2009
rewatching episodes 14-16 because I think the "Mao trilogy" is one of the BEST parts of season 1. Not so much because of Mao himself (though I do enjoy his evil/ crazyness) but because of the sides these episodes show of the other characters. We get some great insight into the relationships between lulu/ cc and lulu/ suzaku...and the characters as individuals. And yes Mao is awesome lol
Jan 26, 2011 8:23 AM

Dec 2010
This episode was stupid, Suzaku abilities were too absurd (dodging bullets, running in the walls etc)
Jun 1, 2011 7:49 AM

Feb 2010
This episode, although farfetched, was pretty enjoyable. The whole Suzaku side story was outta no where...

OMG is Mao dead yet?
Sep 13, 2011 4:37 AM

Feb 2011
lowut? xD dodge bullets, wall run, kill the machinegun xD

only a bit sad mao didn't last more :(
with a bit more of wit it would have been an awesome villain, more than how much hilarious he already was
ZeandoSep 13, 2011 5:11 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 16, 2011 9:16 PM

Jun 2011
If only we had more people with Lelouch's brain.
Sep 27, 2011 2:56 PM

Jul 2010
:) Great episode. It was like Light's huge complicated plan in Death Note crammed in a single ep xD.

This is like Death Note, but there, you could truly see that Light was wrong. And here, you have Lelouch, although his methods are obviously (in my sight) wrong, he has connections to what has happened and he's experienced much loss. He has proper reason for what he's doing. He's also developing more that Light did, you can see his weaknesses easily, wherein Light really wasn't portrayed with weakness or hesitation in most cases. The thing I really liked about Death Note though, was it was placed in our world basically. No mechas and things that could deter from reality (except for shinigamis xD I'm mainly talking about the general world of Death Note haha)
Oct 14, 2011 1:46 AM

Dec 2008
I haven't really liked these episodes with mao, I'm glad they are over now. But this episode was enjoyable to me, it was nice to see Lelouch actually put his faith in Suzaku to get the job done.

I disagree with the above poster, I think lelouch's methods are right. Suzaku on the other hand... his way of justice or whatever you want to call it is just idiotic. He thinks he can change the world from within but he is just blindly following them. He was ordered to slaughter all those people in cold blood and he what does he say to that? "Yes, my lord."

Atleast Lelouch is taking a stand and getting results, he is making an immediate impact and trying to change things for the better, that's why I sympathize more with him and his methods then Suzaku.
Feb 4, 2012 6:53 PM

Aug 2010
Mao's arc was bad. I'm glad he's dead and we can move on with the plot now.
Mar 30, 2012 8:09 AM

Mar 2012
This episode was my least favourite in the whole 2 series.

Lelouch's plan was immensely clever and it also introduces Lelouch's opinion on Suzaku/Nunnally - however, Suzaku asked no questions as to why Nunnally was tied up and placed under a bomb.

And Mao, once Suzaku burst in, never mentioned a single word about Lelouch being Zero...despite how angry he was at Lelouch at that moment. He just went on to tell of Suzaku's past....he didn't even know who Suzaku was.
"We're nothing more than fools and whores with sad highs"
Aug 5, 2012 6:46 PM

Aug 2009
Okay, so at first I was glad to see that Mao was still alive, but I ended up hating him in this episode. I thought he went too far. I get that he wanted revenge on Lelouch, but he didn't have to become such a sadist. Kidnapping his blind little sister and hanging a bomb over her head, and then tormenting Lelouch with the chess game? And after he caused Suzaku to remember traumatic memories of his father, I couldn't wait for this buttface to get killed. It was even better seeing C2 to be the one to end him. All in all, though, I still think he was a pretty neat character. R.I.P. Mao, I guess, if you're actually dead or whatever..

I always thought Suzaku was cool, but I didn't expect him to be such a BADASS! Outrunning machine guns and running upside walls and disarming pendulum bombs and dodging Mao's gunshots. This man's ridiculous! Lelouch was also pretty badass, using Geass on himself to forget his plans. These dudes are super-deft.

I can't remember anything else from the episode except that it made me really excited to see more of Suzaku's story.

EDIT: Ohh, I remember something! Villetta's totally a house-wife now! That's sooo adorable. Man, why do I like her so much? I'm such a creep. Ehh.
RockDagAug 5, 2012 6:57 PM
Aug 22, 2012 2:39 AM
Jul 2012
lolwut Suzaku has some serious abilities, dodging bullets, walking on the walls... Really dont know why, but i dont like Suzaku and his "justice".
Aug 26, 2012 7:55 AM

Jun 2012
Until now, its my favourite episode, although I dont like Mao. Its the fist time, I was happy to see a character dies. But... (maybe a spoiler from Durarara) I woul like to see the Izaya-yatsu getting killed.
I´m not a native english speaker and I´ve always got bad notes in English, so please, deal with my mistakes try to correct them in your thoughts during reading.

Example:
What´s written:
My inglish have newer be gut
what you read:
My english has never been good.

Hope you got it :P

"You cannot change fate. However, you can rise to meet it, if you so choose"
Sep 21, 2012 11:01 AM

Jul 2011
I really enjoyed that ep, I liked it very much. Pretty awesome plan by Leloch. I wonder if Lelouch will use his geass on Suzaku and make him forget everything about his father and stuff... I mean I expected this to happen in the end but it didnt so... CC was awesome as usual. Overall great episode, next one looks awesome too.
5/5
Oct 1, 2012 7:18 AM

Dec 2010
randomuser10 said:
Suzaku dodging the machine gun was total bs

Other than that, it was a great episode, one of the best for sure.It's really good to see how Lelouch doesn't lose his humane side after all that happened. Not only he's so affectionate for Nunally(lol, compared to Light who was prepared to kill his sister) but he trusts Kururugi, his childhood friend.

I agree that Mao's revival was cheap. It leaves bad taste in the mouth.

One of the things I like about Code Geass is raw bleakness in it. I'd hate if this was one of the animes, where Kururugi was just White Knight who cluelessly defends all that is good

There were some really enjoyable fun moments in this episode too. Like to see how does Kallen act in her school - I've forgotten the fake "weak" Kallen :D

Mao's twisted joke that he'll extend Lelouch's time a hour more if he searches for him while doing a handstand was hilarious :D

Euphy's squal was one of the cutest sounds I've ever heard :D

Also Lloyd was 101% win :D
Oct 28, 2012 5:20 PM

Sep 2012
I wonder who's past will be revealed next. Good episode.
Oct 29, 2012 10:53 PM

Sep 2011
randomuser10 said:
Suzaku dodging the machine gun was total bs

I lol'd.
Feb 6, 2013 10:03 PM

Jan 2013
Suzaku dodging bullets was quite ridiculous, but I guess you just have to roll with it.

The main reason why he didn't just tip the scale with his hands is because it would go against his pride, and if you've been watching this series (No matter how stupid it sounds) even at the risk of others lives, he would never do anything that will hurt his pride (Or at least at this point in the timeline).

I think that's the simple, yet ridiculous answer to that question.
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Feb 28, 2013 4:46 AM
Jul 2012
When Lelouch and CC were at the airport i saw a bandaged arm, and yet when Mao showed up, my jaw still dropped.
But yes, Suzaku dodging the machine gun was complete BS, but other than that, one of the best episodes so far.
Feb 28, 2013 4:30 PM

May 2012
So Mao wasn't dead! Is he dead now, now I'm getting suspicious :p

Decent side story though, good that she's saved!
May 23, 2013 12:21 AM
Feb 2013
Damn, Suzaku's a boss, hella raped that machine gun lol

Loved this episode, lot of twists.
Jun 11, 2013 6:08 PM

Feb 2013
Sick episode, I love genius protagonists. Although why didn't Lelouch just put his hand on the scale? xD

Suzaku's hypocritical nature is becoming more evident after that backstory.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 24, 2013 7:53 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well I feel trolled...who knew that Mao would survive?

Dusk252 said:

For all of you who complained about the scale: if Lelouch even thought about cheating (aka putting his hand on the black side of the scale), Mao would know beforehand (did you forget he can read thoughts?). During the one second Lelouch would be deciding whether to risk it or not (he's a fast thinker but he can't do anything without rationalizing), Mao could do put his hand on the white side. Knowing his thoughts beforehand, Mao would always had the upper hand when it comes to time, even if for a mere second. So, that was a stupid option. Lelouch was damn smart in using the geass on himself with the mirror. That was an amazing move.

Well that's true, but if Lulu was really desperate, he would've tried it anyways. Instead he just stood there looking shocked. I mean if either way, the bomb was going to be triggered, by (1) Mao putting one last piece down on the scale or (2) Mao reading Lulu's mind that Lulu will try to push down on his side of the scale and therefore stop Lulu and still trigger the bomb, then why wouldn't Lulu make one last desperate attempt despite it having 100% chance of failure? Well it's whatever. It was definitely smart of Lulu to use the Geass on himself, but I wasn't surprised that he did since he definitely didn't look like he was acting and the situation felt really similar to something that happened in another anime. But someone said that a reflection isn't really a direct look...it's probably something like C.C.'s powers penetrating through Lancelot's armor and onto Suzaku, I'm just thinking too much. My suspension of disbelief seems to be malfunctioning.

Ahh Suzaku. Most of us don't like him because we find him hypocritical, but I think what Mao said was interesting, that Suzaku is trying to pay penance by putting himself into dangerous situations which could cause him to die. Seems like he is a much more complex character than I originally thought he was. I mean he's still preachy and hypocritical, but I guess he's going through a lot of unconscious internal conflict :/

Oh and nvm my post from the last discussion...I guess Villetta is really, conveniently, an amnesiac. And yeah, I agree that Suzaku is a little OP running on walls and jumping high enough to kick down the machine gun (I guess it's due to his long legs being able to reach it).

edit: deleted spoiler
tingyAug 9, 2015 11:19 PM
Jun 30, 2013 7:50 PM

Jul 2012
I couldn't take Mao seriously after he lost his voice. He just looked so...derpy.

Lovin' the strategizing as usual. Wish more people had Geass so we could see fights like these more often.

Yeah the thing about him just putting his hand on the scale. I would have done that for sure.
Aug 13, 2013 7:14 PM

May 2013
Decent episode I guess, but damn, Suzaku moved at insane speeds to dodge the minigun...
Aug 13, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2013
After 3 episodes of him, Mao definitely seems like a waste of a character, finally someone else with Geass and...meh. I was hoping it'd be Jeremiah or Suzaku that eventually got a power for foil purposes. Then again there's lots of story I still need to see. I liked the Suzaku development at the end at least so I guess this wasn't completely pointless. Also I'm pretty sure either CC or LeLouch himself said his Geass works as long as he makes eye contact in any form, it's one of the earliest episodes when he's testing it. So with that in mind the mirror thing made sense to me and was pretty ballsy so I can respect it.

Looking forward to the next episode since it looks like things are going to pick up again.
Aug 20, 2013 11:13 PM

Jan 2008
Pewdie said:
Ok, I know Lulus plan against Maos bomb was great and all.. but wouldn't it be smarter just to put down your hand on that weight in order to disarm the bomb? Those were the rules right?
there were other things like: How can Mao setup such a complicated bomb around a school without no1 noticing? That rly disturbed me

....=) I can keep going but you'll get the point. Thats why I disliked this episode :<

That is so true but now we know that he is dead or at least we allhope he is poor Suzaku n pretty crafty Lelouch for using his Geass on himself.
Feb 4, 2014 1:28 PM
Dec 2012
These cliff-hangers mang...
Mar 10, 2014 7:06 AM
Feb 2014
The real question is what is a high tech machine gun doing in a school ?
May 16, 2014 10:09 AM

Dec 2013
More Backstorys *.*
May 21, 2014 2:22 PM

Dec 2013
Mao is a huge weirdo offering deathly chess games.. He had the most beautiful and dramatic deaths that I've ever seen though.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 5, 2014 2:51 AM

Jan 2012
I loved the ep. Although I hate Suzaku and his super human skills, I'll just live with it. I'm glad it was revealed he's not the true white knight as he portrays himself. No one mentioned it but I thought it was shocking Mao said that the only reason Suzaku puts himself in those crazy situations to save people was in fact to KILL HIMSELF. That's crazy. Subconsciously, he wants to die.

And I came to the same conclusions as the others did with the scale. The guy is reading your mind, I wouldn't dare try to touch the scale. Also losing his voice is actually pretty cruel considering Mao relies so much on his voice to portray his thoughts and feelings. He got what he deserved though I don't blame him for going psycho since LuLu try to kill him.

Jul 24, 2014 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
This was probably the most ridiculous episode I've seen so far of CG. It was still good, but Suzaku taking out the camera was too much lol.

Nice reveal though. I didn't expect the relationship with his father to be too big. But that's an interesting discovery.
Jul 26, 2014 1:04 AM

Oct 2013
Really good episode,let's see what happens next.

Sep 7, 2014 9:30 PM

Jan 2014
And checkmate.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 11, 2014 7:00 AM

Oct 2013
This episode should silence those people bitching about Suzaku so much. Suzaku was great this episode and got some good development too.

Lelouch was a genius to use geass on himself.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 16, 2014 2:11 PM

Mar 2013
Geez I knew he wasn't dead at all. Sick bastard, I hope he's dead for real now.
Sep 24, 2014 7:22 AM

Sep 2013
Using the geass on himself? Bloody brilliant!
Sep 29, 2014 7:33 AM

Jan 2013
Wow, what the fuck just happened? What a weak episode. I heard about Code Geass entering a level of bullshit but I really hope it's just this episode only.
Oct 4, 2014 12:12 AM

Jun 2013
Mao aka Mr. Clapper is still alive? Who woulda thought? Anyways That was some interesting backstory on Suzaku, and good thing Suzaku cut that wire or Nunally would have been toast. Hopefully Mr. Clapper is dead for good now.
Nov 17, 2014 8:14 PM

Jan 2014
I'm glad Suzaku's not displayed as purely good, since that doesn't
really exist irl. A great episode. Liked his shocked expression ^__^
Nov 19, 2014 9:04 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't expect a show like Code Geass to bring back dead characters for now reason and someone be able to dodge an automatic machinegun Oo
Well it was alright, but I hope it'll get better again.
Nov 28, 2014 7:30 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Shut up, Mao! /clap-clap-clap
C.C. got back just in time. She looked good with dark hair.
Suzaku's secret is exposed. Your camera-mounted-guns or no match for him.
Jan 12, 2015 5:02 PM

Nov 2014
A few problems in this episode..
-Lelouch could have just pushed the scale down to his side, game over
-Lelouch could have used his geass to just kill Mao, or make him go away
-Suzaku has officially entered the Matrix

And my biggest issue since a couple of episodes ago, this little side story about Re-L (I don't know her character name in this show, I just recognize the voice actress, she's the low-tier Britannian that guy found on the rocks outside the warehouse). Amnesia. Amnesia is such a convenient plot point. I really hope they make something good out of it later.

Good things:
-Suzaku's murderous history
-The little bit that Cornelia says about avenging Lelouch and Nunnally's deaths was interesting
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Jan 30, 2015 6:46 AM

Dec 2013
Couldn't Lelouch just pick all of Mao's chess pieces and place them on the scale without playing?
I mean he had his own plan after all but this would seem easier.

Kotori said:

- could just push the balance on this side with his hands
- could tell Mao to just die instead of shutting up

the balance part was really stupid

Yep. Now I can see its flaws when rewatching
Jan 30, 2015 7:44 AM

Jun 2013
HazukashiiDesu said:
Couldn't Lelouch just pick all of Mao's chess pieces and place them on the scale without playing?
I mean he had his own plan after all but this would seem easier.

Kotori said:

- could just push the balance on this side with his hands
- could tell Mao to just die instead of shutting up

the balance part was really stupid

Yep. Now I can see its flaws when rewatching

Well, even though it does seem stupid remember that Mao can read his mind, so very second Lelouch gets an idea Mao knows about it. With his sister's life on the line I do not think Lelouch can react so fast, so basically if Lelouch tries to cheat his way out, that very second he thinks about it and before he acts, Mao will know and do something about it.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Feb 4, 2015 2:06 AM

Jul 2008
So Mao survived being riddles with 100 bullets? Ooooooooooooookay....let's hope he stays down like a bad dog this time.

As so Suzaku, you killed your dad because you thought it would end the war and stop the suffering...how's that working out Suzaku. He just got more annoying...
Feb 9, 2015 8:43 AM

Aug 2012
Raidriar said:
I loved the ep. Although I hate Suzaku and his super human skills, I'll just live with it. I'm glad it was revealed he's not the true white knight as he portrays himself. No one mentioned it but I thought it was shocking Mao said that the only reason Suzaku puts himself in those crazy situations to save people was in fact to KILL HIMSELF. That's crazy. Subconsciously, he wants to die.

Yeah, now it makes sense and I like Suzaku a bit more. He can't admit to himself that he killed the father for nothing, so he has no choice but to continue pursuing his ideals, but feels incongruence and subconsciously wants to die. Great revelation.
Mar 19, 2015 2:44 AM
Jan 2012
Hmm... People keep complaining about Lelouch not just tipping the scale... However there would have been risks for that. An unlikely one being, what if it reacted negatively towards anything but subtle movement, so individual chess pieces. The more likely issue is that fact that Mao can read his mind. He would have known if Lelouch was about to do that, and could have just as easily tilted it to his side.

Lelouch definitely made the right call this episode. And proved how smart of a bad-ass he was once again... After he realized that he was a bad-ass of course.
Apr 6, 2015 7:22 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Okay, can't decide if this was the best or worst episode. Lulu could have told the police to kill him....yeah, WHY DIDN'T HE DO THAT? And he could have told Mao to kill himself, BUT HE DIDN'T DO THAT EITHER. But what came out of it, i have to admit, it was very intense and entertaining still <.<

Mao did so much shit in three episodes, wow

And Suzaku was displayed as very athletic before, so i can't buy the complaints about him in this thread just for the sake of hating him. I think, this episode redeemed his actions so far.
SmudyApr 6, 2015 7:28 AM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

babykeiji - Feb 22, 2008

122 by shakinfuture2 »»
Apr 11, 4:51 AM

» Code Geass is an omnipandering anime ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 3

69 by AnimSr »»
Mar 31, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Feb 18, 2007

142 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xinil - Feb 6, 2007

191 by yulek »»
Mar 11, 3:07 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chilli-Kun - Apr 11, 2008

274 by TheAnimeWeeb101 »»
Feb 25, 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.