Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2008 9:37 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aaand it's over.

I kind of wanted to see more of Ono's antics, but...
I was surprised Tachibana let the guy walk off so nonchalantly, but I guess it contributed to the quickly-tied-up and light? ending.

At least there's Junjou to look forwards to soon~
Sep 26, 2008 5:37 AM

Nov 2007
I don't think he recognised him.
What a lovely ending.
Sep 26, 2008 6:12 AM

May 2008
I really think he DID recognize him, but he let him go for the reason that the older man let Tachibana go in the past. A fair trade is a fair trade, after-all.

It was very, very light. And that works for me. Junjou can NEVER touch what this anime has done. I fore-see Junjou season 2 being an utter disappointment after such a wonderful series like this.
Sep 26, 2008 6:15 AM

Feb 2008
Well I expected a little more drama, but I don't really mind this relaxed ending either.

I don't know if he recognized man, but I think that he remembered how he wasn't kidnapped to be killed like other kids copycat kidnapped, but instead that he was kidnapped cause that man thought he was his son. In the end he even let him go away, and he never harmed him in the first place, plus that happened a long time ago, so even if he recognized him Tachibana probably just let it go since he finally got his memory back.

But I really wanted some couple in the end... I mean, Nabari no Ou is more shounen-ai than this and it's not even shounen-ai. Hell, all of the shounen series I've seen/read so far are more shounen-ai than this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2008 7:53 AM

Apr 2007
So in the end Tachibana DID NOT lose his memories, he was just told to forget what happened during the kidnapping. I think he did recognize the kidnapper but just let it go. But he's still having nightmares about it isn't he?

Plus the old guy bought a whole cake for his wife and not just the usual 3 for then his family. I guess this is a sign he moved on also.

For a moment I thought Ono and Tachibana where gonna make out at the end while reminicing...oh well.

Very interesting. I love the light shounen ai and comedy combo. Great series! Looking foward to Junjou Romantica 2! (Mhmm yaoi core)

Sep 26, 2008 9:36 AM

May 2008
I think Tachibana didn't recognise him - though how could he not when he imitated the guy? - so that's why he walked off. I think the limping jogged his memory though. I also think the trauma of thinking he's killed him (though he obviously didn't, he showed signs of thinking he did) and being told to forget made all his memories wipe away and resurface when he can't consciously control what he remembers.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel angry and oddly cheated. The guy kidnapping kids (when Tachibana was a kid) basically got off scot free and gets to live his life though he's obviously not quite mentally there and doesn't deserve it. I really wanted to see some justice there, and am disappointed that I didn't get to see it. Though everyone seems to be fine and the ending is all nice, I just feel unhappy.

That being said, this anime was actually quite good, and though I didn't get the ending I wanted, I can understand the intentions behind it. Every week I was waiting impatiently for subs - especially when gg randomly slowed down from 2 to 4 days D8< - and I enjoyed every minute.
Sep 26, 2008 10:36 AM

Aug 2008
I borderline loved this episode, and this anime. Hopefully more BL series can be like this in regards to approach and content. I would much rather see this than "How can I possibly be in love with a man" angst for 12 episodes. Bravo Antique Bakery.
Sep 26, 2008 11:18 AM

Apr 2008
I'm kind of unsatisfied, but it was good nonetheless.

This is more like a kidnapping bakery animu than shounen ai...
Sep 26, 2008 2:24 PM
May 2008
I actually thought this was a fitting ending to the series...kinda a gentle ending but tidy and answered any leftover questions. I think the kidnapper finally moved on and Tachibana was moving on...but there was still that scene where he had the nightmare...So is he really ok? Alternative motive for the kidnapper?? Maybe a season 2??
Sep 26, 2008 4:50 PM

May 2008
it was a nice ending but i would not have mind a different ending too bad its over im gonna miss this show

Gosh i want some of that cheesecake!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008 4:57 PM

Aug 2008
hmm... the end was kinda what? that's it!? but I still loved this series ^^
Sep 27, 2008 8:00 AM

Apr 2008
I liked this show.
A lot.
(:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2008 3:16 PM

Nov 2007
good story, i do wish there was more drama. and chi leaving is just so sad.
Sep 27, 2008 5:36 PM
Aug 2007
I quite liked the ending. It was bittersweet like chocolate :3

Can we has Eiji In France spin-off nao? xD
Sep 28, 2008 3:06 AM

Apr 2008
It was a nice ending =)
I kind of was expecting a little more in the ending, but I was happy with just this ^^
It was worth it watching this anime... =)
Sep 28, 2008 8:13 AM

May 2008
the_seventh_l said:
Can we has Eiji In France spin-off nao? xD

I am on! xD

can't believe it ended though. Will be lonely withouth the serie Q__Q
Sep 28, 2008 6:43 PM

Jun 2008
Huh? So it's over already?? Dx

I gave it a 7.... but just cause it didn't get good till near the end. >______<
I wanna see another season though. One with the big wedding and more Ono stuff. T_T

Sig WILL change soon~
Sep 29, 2008 6:18 AM

Jun 2008
I think the ending is fitting for this series. The light pace is good and the kidnapper obviously moved on. As for whether Tachibana remembered or not, hmmm, I doubt he remembered the guy's face. But he is moving on and so are the rest of the cast which is the reason why the ending is so fitting. It's realistic (although Ono's gay demonic charm is a bit stretching!!).
Sep 30, 2008 9:04 AM

Jun 2008
i cant believe he didnt notice that the last customer the old guy was the guy who kidnapped him. He totally had that flashback for a reason and he brushed it off. oh well overally i gave it a 4/5 not the best ending for the series but it still wasnt awful just some where in the middle
Sep 30, 2008 12:09 PM

Apr 2008
Anbukunoichi said:
i cant believe he didnt notice that the last customer the old guy was the guy who kidnapped him. He totally had that flashback for a reason and he brushed it off. oh well overally i gave it a 4/5 not the best ending for the series but it still wasnt awful just some where in the middle

He knew and let him go because the kidnapper had let him go before.
Oct 2, 2008 1:05 PM

Apr 2008
Nce show, nice ending and great storyline for 12 episodes. Of course it's not really shonen ai, but I don't mind. The characters were interesting and realistic for once.

Too bad the manga ends here. I woud like to see more anime with this quality of character developpement.

Oct 4, 2008 8:19 AM

Apr 2008
Antique Bakery just made me smile. All the characters were so nice and shit. What I wouldn't give to be able to go to such a wonderful place. ^~^

8/10.
LoveWifeLunchOct 4, 2008 8:25 AM
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 9, 2008 12:15 PM

Apr 2008
I didn't like the animation, but I enjoeyed this show 7/10

Oct 12, 2008 11:09 PM

May 2008
nice ending.
the only thing that kind of disappointed me was that Tachibana didn;t apologize to Ono for what he did in high school. I was sure he would :\

oh well.

Oct 22, 2008 6:09 PM

Oct 2006
ASHGARY said:
nice ending.
the only thing that kind of disappointed me was that Tachibana didn;t apologize to Ono for what he did in high school. I was sure he would :

He already did, it was sometime in episode 4 or 5 when he told Ono to chase after Chikage, he apologised to Ono in order for Ono to apologise to Chikage
Apr 6, 2009 9:48 AM
Oct 2008
I saved commenting on this series untill the last episode. The series started off alright, and the middle was by far the best part. The most dissapointing part of the whole has to be the ending.

It is a good ending, but it isn't what it could have been. While they certainly had some neat and interesting twists, it didn't feel like there was enough closure.

In all, the series had a LOT of potential that it only met half-way with. But it still remains to be an okay series. It isn't the best. But it isn't the worst either.

I would have felt better if they spend longer on each of these character archs. Instead of having them come up and be solved rather fast. It was hard to get INTO the issues.

The plot with the kidnapping was the best plot of all, and it certainly was written well. I just felt it could have been BETTER somehow.

Something was missing. I think the part that set it off for me is that he still has the nightmares.

But in all! I liked the series. The characters were loveable.

I think if it were twice as long, and they pulled out the plot more, then it'd be even better.

But I enjoyed it.
Jun 26, 2010 9:33 PM

May 2010
"We'll never be lovers so we'll never have a reason to break up." One of the sweetest lines ever. I love this show but the end makes me feel a bit sad.
Jul 5, 2010 8:23 PM

Jul 2007
lots of things are missing,like more ono x chikage TT-TT
i really wanted to put end to tachibana's drama but i guess in a way it ended,
but he has nightmares yet T-T.
chikage living alone that's ufff *¬*,eiji growing up so kawaii ^^.
and tachibana x ono can't be happening like he said, but it would be
awesome to see something at least n.nU. i want to read mangaaaaa
Sep 11, 2010 10:43 AM

Jul 2010
I liked the serie (but I didn't really liked the animatian when their faces.. changed? You know when they're surprised or when they don't understand something.. xd) but the ending isn't.. complete xd Well it's nice that he get his memory back and that he'd let him go but I hoped for some Ono x Chikage ending for example, how Eiji's gonna be after all this and how Tachibana and Ono are gonna be, you know like a short "flash forward" in the last 10 sec of the show? Something like that? Well it was absolutely a nice anime but I have to say (but I think I'm the only one) I liked JR more xd
Oct 20, 2010 12:00 PM

Dec 2008
A nice ending to a good series.
Antique Bakery is definitely a keeper!!
Dec 1, 2010 1:06 PM

Jul 2008
Honestly, I watched the Korean movie version of Antique bakery and I liked it, but I have to say that I liked the anime adaptation even more. I just wish they delved even more into the individual stories of the characters.

I also wanted some Tachibana x Ono. That scene where Tachibana told Ono that they won't ever be lovers, so there needs to be no worry of them breaking up was so bittersweet.

I guess I need to pick up the manga for anything the anime missed or changed. I'm really looking forward to doing that though. I'm going to be on a Fumi Yoshinaga craze for a while.
Dec 10, 2010 9:54 PM

May 2010
I actually feel that was a bit of an ending fail. A bit too many loose threads hanging around for my liking
Dec 27, 2010 3:47 AM

Jul 2008
I love bittersweet endings >.<
Nice series, but I wanted more Chikage-san <3
Jul 16, 2011 1:54 AM

Mar 2009
To me, this was a very fitting end to this series.

In it, we see everyone is moving on with their lives, which fits very well with the title of the OP/ED song "Life goes on".

Overall, I enjoyed this series very much. It was relaxing to watch with just the right mix of humor and drama.

9/10 for me.
Jun 4, 2012 5:54 PM

May 2012
The ending of this anime didn't take me aback or anything! Very light and everything, tied up most loose ends and all the ones that had to be tied. I think Tachibana did recognize the man, but just let it go. I mean, the expression on his face as the guy walked away: it changed. A somewhat more knowing smile. I dunno, but that doesn't matter! This ending was very good! SO much better than Death Note, kesesese!
Jul 27, 2012 1:01 AM

Jan 2010
Beautiful adaptation of the manga :). I loved it 9/10.

Also, for those who wanted more OnoxChikage, the author drew some more doujinshi that delved into more of Ono's story, and his relationship with Chikage. I would consider it canon XD. Go check it out :D
Oct 18, 2013 12:30 AM
Aug 2011
Tachibana definitely recognized the old man.

I can't say that I agree with this ending because no kidnapper should be left to roam freely, no matter how old the person is.
The man might have let Tachibana go but he still kidnppaned him so he's in the wrong no matter what.
So yes i'm irritated with this ending.

...BUT in a strange sense the ending fit well with the tone of this episode, even if I don't agree with it.

I feel conflicted.

This seems rather underrated, is it because of the BL?

Anyway, I actually really really enjoyed this series overall.
The characters were charming and not overbearing.
I thought that the jokes around how gay Ono was would get really annoying but surprisingly they did not (for me).
Shame this wasn't a couple of episodes longer I would like to see more of Eiji in France and see how well Chikage settled in.

All in all, it feels good when you're watching something and it turns out better than what you imagined.

I know there's a dorama and a Korean movie. I should have watched at least one of them when back when I was in my drama watching phase. I'll probably at least check the movie out. Going to check out the doujin that Naivette mentioned above.
Jun 6, 2014 7:14 AM

May 2012
Okay ending, this anime sure shifted from style a lot from a shounen-ai to actually a bakery to eventually a detective anime... well all in all I was expecting a bit more from it and didn't think this was a shounen-ai at first which also disappointed me but well all in all it's somewhat decent.
Dec 21, 2014 12:51 PM

Jul 2013
That was a nice relaxed ending, so Chikage moved out and Eiji went to France for a bit with the hope of going there to learn more someday.

So the shop went back to being Ono and Tachibana only for a while until Chikage has finished moving places at least.

The kidnapper of Tachibana turned up at the shop but I don't think they recognised each other at all, otherwise Tachibana wouldn't have been so relaxed at the end.

But we found out in the flashback that after stabbing the kidnapper he did let Tachibana go and now seems the kidnapper and Tachibana may have both moved on.

I really enjoyed that series even though the kidnapping plot was something I didn't expect and the shounen-ai didn't really seem to last long considering that's what I thought it was.
Jul 26, 2020 5:01 AM

Dec 2012
I liked where this anime started but didn't really like how it ended. As others have said, I didn't find the ending to be very satisfying. I agree with everyone else saying they didn't recognise each other, particularly @Kylearan who said it was for our benefit. Tachnibana was way too chill at the end if he'd realised that dude was his kidnapper and if he'd suddenly gotten those flashbacks. He had nightmares of the event that made him distraught so if he had the flashback at the end when we saw it, there's no way he would've been that chill with it.

It was overall okay but the kidnapping plot seems kind of pointless now that I think about it. Tachibana will never be satisfied because he'll never find out who his kidnapper is. Is he just going to have nightmares all the time? He needs therapy. I guess it isn't accepted enough in Japan for that to be the solution to anyone's problems in anime.
Aug 25, 2022 6:50 AM
Dec 2021
great anime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday, 11:02 AM

May 2015
This was certainly interesting, I didn't expect the plot to go in that direction. Overall, it had a nice mix of delicious bakery moments, some BL (albeit more comic relief in nature rather than anything serious) and the ongoing investigation.

For those who expected more BL action this could be a downer, but I actually liked how realistic they stayed until the end in that regard (despite the goofy start) and didn't force any relationships just for the sake of it. "We'll never become lovers, so we'll never have to break up" has a nice ring to it.

As for the kidnapper left to go free... this works as an open ending I guess.

Also glad for Eiji who found a new path in life, and is doing well with his goal to become a patisserie chef.
TenYesterday, 11:06 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 3 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 18, 2008

34 by misscherie »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:19 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 6 Discussion

Axersia - Aug 9, 2008

29 by serina7 »»
May 29, 2022 10:16 AM

» List of desserts shown on each episode ending of Antique Bakery

IridescentJaune - Nov 27, 2021

0 by IridescentJaune »»
Nov 27, 2021 7:00 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 8 Discussion

juu - Aug 25, 2008

25 by AozoraAi »»
Oct 13, 2021 8:21 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 11 Discussion

Cookie-chan- - Sep 13, 2008

25 by ann_sordo »»
Aug 31, 2021 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.