Forum Settings
Forums

What's the greatest manga series you've ever read?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 6, 2012 4:12 AM
Apr 2012
For me it would have to be Tower of God at the moment.

And Mushishi :) rep!!
Dat-scumJun 6, 2012 4:15 AM
Jun 6, 2012 1:05 PM

Apr 2012
Oretama, It's just so outrighteous crazy (demon trapped in his balls) that I can't do anything but love it + girls are sexy.

My lovely ghost Kana - It's a love story I just enjoy, it's no harem, no fan service ecchi, it's just a beautiful love story.

Sumomomo Momomo - It's actually a Martial Artist serie I actually enjoy, fights are nice in it and the art is just hilarious sometimes.

Nana to Kaoru - It's an S&M series which contains Ecchi in a way that fits the series, and about how you just can't strengthen yourself to admit that you love your childhood friend cause you don't think that you deserve her.

Aiki - Love the way they portrait this "Protagonist", an sadistic, evil, horny, arrogant, evil person that only does things for his own enjoyment. The humor is really my style and then we just have

Aki-Sora - Very close to hentai BUT the story is actually one I like, a forbidden love, taboo, I just love it.

Golden Boy - I just can't describe this one, it's just an very interesting manga about a guy who loves to study with a toilet fetish who goes around on his bike to learn stuff about the world. The different scenarios that happens are just.. :)

I forgot the name of one I liked which makes me sad :(
Pjupp doesn't do signatures, but if he would they would probably be the best signatures in the world.
Jun 6, 2012 1:55 PM

Mar 2012
Death Note,highschool DXD ,fairy tail,hellsiing,vampire knight
Jun 6, 2012 8:15 PM

Aug 2009
I REALLY loved 20th Century Boys. It's a great read, definitely.
I'm reading Gantz, it's really good too.
Monster was also great, from what I remember. I never finished it though. I'll probably have to restart from chapter one when I've caught up with Gantz.
Jun 6, 2012 9:22 PM

Feb 2012
So far, Kimi ni Todoke. Exactly what I'm looking for - drama, romance, all that good stuff, at a slow pace, that doesn't end when the relationship begins. Not sure if it will last, but it just might. I tend to prefer action in anime and romance in manga, personally, so I don't know if there's anything that I'd like better, but I'm sure at some point I'll change my mind.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jun 7, 2012 12:16 AM

Jul 2011
There are many great manga, it's hard to choose ^^"
but what i always recommend to my friend are these:

From Far away
NG LIFE
Strobe Edge
Immortal Rain
Fruits Basket
All manga by Mitsuru Adachi ( H2, Touch, Rough, Niji Iro Tougarashi, Cross Game, Nine)
Eyeshield21
Double Arts

all manga rated of 10\10 and 9\10 in my list are great :)
Jun 7, 2012 2:31 AM
Jun 2012
onani master kurosawa ( doujinshi )
one piece
great teacher onizuka
gantz
berserk ( first part is great, latter half get boring )
Tower of god ( webtoon)
noblesse (webtoon)
skip beat
kokou no hito

i personally try to avoid reading those we mature content as you know... who the hell knows who is behind you?
Jun 7, 2012 1:09 PM

Aug 2011
From my short list I can recommend:
Battle Royale
Berserk
Fairy Tail - best story of the magic
Golden Boy - laugh to tears
Hikaru no Go - with this manga, I became interested in the game GO
Ibitsu - is really scary
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! - great comedy
Mahou Sensei Negima! - the greatest arc is Mahora Festival
Onani Master Kurosawa -it is not hentai or ecchi
Shonan Junai Gumi - early years of Eikichi Onizuka
ProcekJun 7, 2012 1:22 PM
"Embrace each morning as your last, so you may die in the evening free of regret."
Jun 7, 2012 1:35 PM
Oct 2011
I've got a small manga list myself, but here are the best I've read/I'm reading so far:

20th Century Boys

Ares (Manhwa)

Bakuman

Homunculus

Slam Dunk

Vegabond

Pluto
Jun 7, 2012 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
changster1123 said:

1. 20th and 21st Century Boys

QFT

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 7, 2012 2:33 PM

Jan 2012
-bersek
-gantz
-liar game
-battle royale
-spiral suiri no kizuna
-uzumaki
^these are my favorite mangas
Jun 7, 2012 2:55 PM
Jun 7, 2012 2:59 PM

Oct 2011
new addition that I find great:

Mahoraba - I love anime but manga is just... something of different caliber both on plot and emotional level - and while being darker it's still optimistic and heartwarming
not to mention that both romance and Kozue's illness is show in a better way
Jun 7, 2012 3:06 PM

May 2012
Love Hina, it was the first manga i read and i just love it.
I have the whole series in my shelf and i have reread it countless of times.
Jun 7, 2012 7:11 PM

Jun 2012
Dragon Ball (Shonen)
Sailor Moon (Shoujo)
Jun 7, 2012 11:03 PM

Mar 2009
Onani Master Kurosawa
Slam Dunk
Cromartie High School
Detroit Metal City
One Outs
Liar Game
Jun 7, 2012 11:13 PM

Mar 2009
The very greatest? Banana Fish for sure

But there's plenty of other damn good series I've read too, my list of 9s and 10s (alphabetical order i suppose)

And for some overall epic mangaka where if something from them is released in English I always throw money at it without exception:
Anything by Fumi Yoshinaga
Most stuff by Osamu Tezuka (some of his earlier works are meh, but I'll buy them anyway)
Jun 8, 2012 7:24 AM

Feb 2012
Pjupp said:

Aki-Sora - Very close to hentai BUT the story is actually one I like, a forbidden love, taboo, I just love it.

You should read Koi kaze or Angel Sanctuary in that case.
Jun 9, 2012 1:33 AM
Jul 2009
some has already been said but here goes

Berserk - seriously there's a reason lots of people list this, especially it not being a shonen jump series.

Alive: Saishuu Shinkateki Shounen

Red eyes - a very underrated masterpiece it has everything guns, violence, power armor.

ARMS / Project Arms

Death Note

Love Hina -yeah the ending was shitty but i guess that seems to be akamatsu thing

Slamdunk + Harlem Beat - 2 of the better basket ball comic i've come across

Black Lagoon

Claymore

20th cen boys

FMA

Rave

there's lots more but i'll stop here for now
Jun 9, 2012 3:31 AM

Sep 2010
Ratman - It's the only one on my top 5 favorite list that's not LN... I really loves the Jacky's ROFL :/
Jun 9, 2012 3:36 PM
Jun 2010
Let Dai .
Jun 9, 2012 11:24 PM
Jun 2012
for me 1 dragon ball then z 2 gurren laggan 3 naruto, 4one piece 5 bleach my order is witch came first for me i love them all
Jun 10, 2012 5:38 PM

Oct 2010
20th century Boys-No comments
Death Note-Just Kira vs L
Liar Game-Still on going but is a 10
Hoshi no samidare-Had everything
Berserk-F*** u Miura and your hiatus
This world...is rotten
Jun 11, 2012 3:43 AM
Oct 2008
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Cat Street
Hana Yori Dango
Aoi Hana
Hotel
Doubt
Island
Seven Days
Serial Experiments Lain: The Nightmare of Fabrication

These are in no particular order.
Then again, I haven't read a lot of manga.
Jun 11, 2012 1:09 PM

Sep 2009
Girl Friends.
Jun 11, 2012 7:14 PM

Dec 2011
IDex said:
Girl Friends.
IDex said:
Girl Friends.

Oh and this too.

Jun 11, 2012 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
Rurouni Kenshin- For me, this remains as the best shounen manga in the traditional sense and that's not even because of nostalgia as I myself got into it quite late.

Death Note - Cleverly structured, not surprised that it became so popular as well.

Saiyuki Reload - Sequel to Saiyuki, offers some of the most deep and mature philosophies combined with tons of morally ambiguous conflicts creating one of the best experiences I've ever had the pleasure of reading in a shounen manga.

As for classics, I'll go with Slam Dunk and GTO.
ronriJun 11, 2012 7:55 PM
Jun 13, 2012 1:11 PM

Jan 2012
For me Spiral Bonds of Reasoning and Berserk
I really need to read 20th century boys since I keep hearing good things about it
Jun 13, 2012 1:20 PM

May 2012
-Monster
-Vagabond
-One Piece
-Slam Dunk
-Mahou Sensei Negima
-Sanctuary

no particular order
Jun 13, 2012 2:27 PM

Jun 2011
Emma. Best manga ever. Read all chapters in one day.
Jun 13, 2012 11:18 PM

Apr 2012
Berserk
Gantz
Claymore
Hellsing
7 Seeds
Skip Beat
Hunter x Hunter
Noblesse (is manwha though)
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Vinland Saga

I can't decide on favorites as there are different aspects of each manga I like.
Jun 14, 2012 3:29 PM

Jul 2011
Akumetsu maybe... (sucks at choosing favorites)
Jun 14, 2012 8:00 PM

Feb 2012
For best manga as far as a shojo, I would have to choose Fruits Basket. I think it's just a classic by now and a staple in any romance manga collection. It has a great balance of romance, drama, comedy, fantasy, etc. Each character is unique and complements each other, and a lot of the drama is pretty mature considering other similar series.The drawings are also beautiful but not so cluttered that you can't make out what's going on. And I'm not just picking it because it's popular. It would be refreshing to have more manga like it =)
Jun 15, 2012 11:33 AM

Apr 2012
Mars. For me it was the perfect combination of everything: romance/drama, with witty comic relief, beautiful artwork, fascinating characters with psychological problems, motorcycle racing. I absolutely loved it.
sleepy_rebelJun 15, 2012 11:38 AM
Jun 15, 2012 12:13 PM

Sep 2010
Yotsuba - I've never laughed so much :)
Angel Densetsu - the characters seemed so lifelike :|
Joshi Kousei - another comedy, and one that I could relate to
Cat Street - beautiful storyline, made me cry on more than one occasion
Welcome to the NHK - I found it better than the anime :) which actually reminds me, I still haven't added it to my favourites' list.
Jun 15, 2012 12:18 PM

Sep 2011
20th/21st century boys

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 15, 2012 6:40 PM

Apr 2009
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
20th/21st century boys
This, and Buddha by Tezuka. Both were brilliant.
Jun 15, 2012 9:14 PM

Feb 2012
sleepyrebel said:
Mars. For me it was the perfect combination of everything: romance/drama, with witty comic relief, beautiful artwork, fascinating characters with psychological problems, motorcycle racing. I absolutely loved it.

Mars was wonderful!! It's been a long time since I've read, but I totally agree =)
Jun 29, 2012 2:28 PM

Jun 2012
BER......wait for it......SERK!

and

Jul 1, 2012 2:04 PM
Jun 2011
- Mars <--- it was really disturbing at times but it was DEFINETELY worth it.( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
- Nana <-- Nana was GREAT but I really wish Ai Yazawa could finish it.. 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。
- Hadashi De Bara Wo Fume - A little creepy but I really, really liked it... (。 >艸<)
Jul 1, 2012 2:47 PM
Sep 2010
Welcome to the nhk.
Jul 1, 2012 3:02 PM

Feb 2012
Immortal Rain - Great shoujo manga with typical shounen manga.
Onani Master Kurosawa - This doujin make me feel gloomy feeling.
Great Teacher Onizuka - The first and the last fucking teacher, he definitely is the greatest.
Jul 2, 2012 7:50 AM

Jan 2009
Some other than my favourites :

IO - Amazing setting & character development
Toshiue no Hito - One of the cutest couples I've come across in a while (somewhat similar to Taiga x Ryuuji)
Cossette no Shouzou - Amazing gothic artwork and character design/story pacing (also much much better than the anime; the 2 don't even come close)
Boku to Issho - There are no words to describe how amazing this story is
Modern Stories of the Bizarre - All of these are based on true stories
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Jul 2, 2012 9:38 AM

Jun 2008
Yotsubato
Immortal Rain
Akagami no Shirayuki
Hana to Akuma
Jul 2, 2012 9:52 AM
Apr 2012
Akira, is hands down the best manga ever made for a number of reasons, one of them being it is probably the only reason the anime/manga industry is still alive today.

Nausica of The Valle of the Wind, was incredibly detailed and tragic.

Lady Snowblood. Quentin Tarantino based Kill Bill off of this manga. He had his entire staff of Kill Bill watch the movies over their lunch breaks.

Blade of the immortal...Just look at it....Seriously, every page is jaw droopingly awesome. The story is just kind of there, but the art and the action...Just look at the cover of any of the volumes. Stay away form the anime though, the quality does not translate at all.
Jul 2, 2012 12:02 PM

Aug 2007
Here are mine:

Tsubasa chronicle
Kaichou wa maid sama!
fruits basket
Lovely complex
honey and clover.
Jul 2, 2012 2:14 PM

Mar 2011
The Breaker, I almost read it in one go.
Jul 2, 2012 2:21 PM

Jul 2009
For now it would be Berserk, some other series were also good but this one was just perfect till a certain point.... it is still on masterpiece level but the release number per year is killing such a fan boy as me :/
Jul 2, 2012 3:10 PM
Nov 2008
I know this is going to be kinda weird since is not really a popular but Sundome was probably the best manga i have read mm, also Vagabond is pretty good to bad it takes so long for new chapters to come out.
Jul 17, 2012 3:10 AM
Jan 2012
Yu yu hakusho and D.gray.man

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.