Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else have trouble remembering Japanese names?

New
Jun 4, 2012 11:39 PM
May 2012
Every time I watch an anime I tend to not remember any of the names of the characters, except for the main one or two. Even then If i remember how to pronounce the name, i might forget how to spell it. I have to look up the anime whenever I want to talk about it in a thread because I completely forgot all the names after a while :(. A rare few have stuck with me because they left an impression on me and they're simple. Such as Yuno from Mirai Nikki and Rin for Usagi Drop.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2012 12:01 AM

May 2012
Yeah, when I started watching anime, it was nearly impossible to remember more than 2 or 3 names. But now, after a few years, I succeed in remembering most of them. It's all a matter of training I guess.
Jun 5, 2012 12:07 AM

Apr 2012
no more than normal names
Jun 5, 2012 12:32 AM
Aug 2011
Airing Anime - I'll remember all/most of the main characters names and some supporting characters'. After a few months I'll start forgetting because of remembering "new airing anime"

Completed Anime - For me this can go two ways

A)Liking the anime a lot - I'll remember many names and if I liked certain characters I'll remember them very long.

B) "Alright"/Bad anime - I can barely remember the main characters names and even if I do they'll disappear sooner than later.
Jun 5, 2012 12:33 AM

Feb 2010
In the beginning yes, but now I can speak/write pretty decent Japanese so I'm finding it a lot easier to remember names now

Jun 5, 2012 12:49 AM

Mar 2011
Personally it's usually easier for me than American names, since a lot of the times characters are named to mean something specific or unusual. Ichigo, 15, because he's 15, and Strawberry because of his hair. Naruto, is just unusual. Those are just two examples, of course, that most people would recognize the easiest.

It's Korean names that kill me. Or some Show names like all the atagari's or whatever they are.
Jun 5, 2012 12:54 AM

Oct 2010
I barely remember my friends' names.
But I have to agree with the person above me, it's still better than Korean names in dorama.
Jun 5, 2012 1:24 AM

Mar 2009
Yeah certain names, even more so if the character is forgettable then their name becomes forgettable as well.
Jun 5, 2012 1:29 AM

Jan 2012
I did at first. They were too different from English, and I didn't even understand the sounds I was hearing.
But I don't have trouble anymore.
Jun 5, 2012 5:12 AM

Apr 2010
I usually forget the name of characters I don't care about in anime, but that's pretty much it.
Jun 5, 2012 5:24 AM

Aug 2009
Because some people pronounce it wrong or simply cant READ!

Tell me how you pronounce Kobayashi as "Kobeyoshi" while looking at the words.
Its simply Koh-Bah-Yah-Shi

Other common mistakes like Michiko, people prnounce the "chi" as a "K"sound...
I thought "Ch" makes a "Ch" sound like in Church. Not a "K".
Its not Japanese thats confusing, English is whats making it hard to learn.
[right]

Jun 5, 2012 6:17 AM
Apr 2012
insolus said:

This. I am horrible with names in general.
Jun 5, 2012 7:14 AM

Mar 2012
I watch a lot of animes simultaneous, including airing and completed animes, and I watch one after the other... Because of this, it's a little hard to remember names.. But i can remember the names while Im watching the anime... If the anime was very good, I can remember the names for more and more time.
Jun 5, 2012 8:01 AM

Feb 2012
When i began watching anime it was always hard remembering the character names, now i find it easy though =)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2012 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
Depending on how much I care about the character then yes. Like in Wandering Son, the character names always confuse me, not to mention male anime characters look effeminate enough already, now adding in a cross-dressing dynamic, and I confuse the gender as well.
Hell, Eraserhead was easier to figure out then this.
Jun 5, 2012 9:12 AM

Aug 2010
I have trouble remembering super long names or if a whole bunch of characters is introduced at the same time. xD
Jun 5, 2012 9:40 AM

Oct 2011
It happens to me quite a bit. I remember simple names, but the longer the name gets, the more likely it is I am to forget it. That's why I tend to give characters nicknames as I watch the show. The nickname is more likely to stick with me than their actual name is.
Jun 5, 2012 9:44 AM

Mar 2009
Hell, yes. Thank the gods for different color hair.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jun 5, 2012 9:46 AM

May 2011
I usually have a harder time remembering less significant names in a slice-of-life or light-hearted anime as opposed to a Shounen.

This is probably due to the fact that they don't scream out their names lol. It's harder to forget something that yells at you opposed to something that's casually told to you.
Jun 5, 2012 9:47 AM

Jan 2008
I think if you start listening to a lot in Japanese and start learning other Japanese vocabulary and such it becomes a lot easier to retain the names in your memory! At least that's when I noticed it getting easier...
Jun 5, 2012 10:15 AM

Jun 2011
Being exposed to Japanese long before English in theory it should be easier for me than remembering English names, but generally I find it hard to remember anybody's name whatever the language it is.
Considering a few Westerners once had names like Maria Theresia Walburga Amalia Christina however long Japanese names are they shouldn't come to you as a shock.
Jun 5, 2012 1:57 PM

Apr 2011
Hearing more japanese can make you remember better by pronouncation.
Jun 5, 2012 2:04 PM

Sep 2008
If I don't give a shit about the characters I usually forget, like Kimi no Iru Machi I've read over a hundred chapters but still can barely remember characters names, and I even have a hard time tells them apart, (but that might be to to the super bland art)
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 5, 2012 2:25 PM

Jul 2007
I'm real shitty with names, main character i know, rest of the characters are usually 'forgotten' unless its a name thats somehow unique or catchy. Ofcourse when a series is long (24eps+) i'm also better with remembering names.
Jun 5, 2012 2:31 PM

Sep 2011
I ALWAYS forget names, always XD
I would usually just remember either the main characters(s) or just my favorite character(s) name
Jun 5, 2012 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I used to, but i've gotten used to since i've started to watch a bunch of anime.
Jun 5, 2012 2:52 PM

Mar 2012
Yes, because the names are new for me. If I see/hear an English name I can just memorize the name no matter how complex it is, but if I see a Japanese name (I've never seen before) I have to memorize every letter of it so that's a lot harder for me.
Jun 5, 2012 4:55 PM

Feb 2012
I do tend to have some trouble with 'em. I can usually remember two or three names for the first few episodes, and after about 6 episodes, I usually have all of 'em down. If they start introducing new characters left and right, then it's anyone's guess as to when I'll be able to remember them all. I am prone to forgetting occasionally, however.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jun 5, 2012 7:24 PM

Apr 2011
i never remember names so when im talking about characters i always just assign them new names

but then i forget their new name too...
Jun 5, 2012 7:35 PM

Oct 2011
I have trouble remembering names, too. But that's mostly because I remember faces more than names most of the time.

And THAT is why I can't name anything most of the time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2012 7:40 PM

Nov 2011
insolus said:

Oh yeah. I remember faces rather than names, speaking of faces...
lisnoire said:
Hell, yes. Thank the gods for different color hair.

This too
Jun 6, 2012 7:58 AM

Jun 2007
If the series isn't forgettable in general, I can usually remember the names of significant characters. Most maddening are situations where shows deliberately throw characters with very similar names at you. Like with Isumi and Izumi in Hayate the Combat Butler.
Jun 6, 2012 10:57 AM

May 2012
I only remember names if I specifically talk about the persons name, even my most favorite animes I cant remember the names of the characters even if they are simple, but since I have talked about acchi kocchi, for ex, with a friend I can remember Io's name... lol
Jun 6, 2012 11:02 AM

Apr 2012
Japanese names are easier than remembering English ones. I usually have more of a problem that there isn't a proper introduction, so I can't tell who is who, than remembering names.
Jun 6, 2012 3:56 PM

Feb 2010
I'm going to go all weaboo and say No, because of what little Japanese I've learned I can pretty much memorize the title after watching a few episodes.
Jun 6, 2012 4:59 PM

Jun 2009
Yes, I can remember names but it pains me to say it out loud.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Jun 6, 2012 6:17 PM

Jun 2012
No. I have a photographic memory so such information is practically memorized after seeing it.
but you don't even know how dank my memes are
Jun 6, 2012 6:32 PM

Mar 2012
Surnames in japanese are pretty easy to remember as long as you remember the kanji they're written with(Or rather, in romaji, the readings associated to that kanji).

I'm great with names though so I don't need to put in much effort to remember them.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 6, 2012 9:26 PM

Oct 2008
If its an anime either currently airing or I'm watching it right now I can remember most of the characters names that make more than a one time appearance. If it's an anime I completed, then it's really hit or miss at how many names my brain will want to remember.

But that's with any show I watch, not just Japanese shows. I haven't seen say, Supernatural in quite a while and the only names I remember are Sam and Dean XD
Jun 6, 2012 9:40 PM
Oct 2010
*snaps fingers* so that's why that annoying chap kept screaming Victorique's name for half his screen time in Gosick! Now I can remember Victorique's name perfectly! All thanks to that annoying chap. You know the one I mean. What was his name again...
Jun 7, 2012 12:01 PM
Dec 2010
it happens when you start watching animes, or when you watch some animes that have no real importance. you'll get used to it.
Jun 7, 2012 12:46 PM

Jan 2009
In the past,I've had a lot of trouble remembering foreign names. Here's a trick I learned from a couple of translators:

It helps to associate their names (both family and given) with something you're familiar with
Using the kanji for example;

For: Yamada Ayumi (山田 あゆみ)
Yama (山) can mean 'mountain'
Ta/da (田) can mean 'field'

Ayumi (あゆみ) can mean 'progress'
Yumi (ゆみ) can also mean bow & arrow

So, to remember the entire name, you can mentally link all 3/4 pictures to create a single one
Such as, a girl (since Ayumi is usually a female given name) in a rice field 'progressing'/travelling to a mountain
Or someone on a mountain shooting an arrow into a rice field

It's a bit convoluted at first, but very helpful for practically learning kanji and remembering someone's name quickly (and correctly)

It doesn't have to be Japanese/Chinese/Korean either, you can transliterate any language you're comfortable with using/remembering

Going back to Yamada Ayumi:

You can use 'yam' (the vegetable) and 'adder' (a type of snake) for the family name, and
a/an 'ewe' (the sheep) and 'me' (picture yourself as a sheep)

You can also ask Wikipedia for help with finding other words

Hope that helps
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Jun 7, 2012 3:52 PM

Sep 2011
The memorability of the name depends on the memorability of the character.
Jun 9, 2012 3:09 PM
May 2012
It takes me a few episodes to remember the names, and like secretagent said, the memorability of the character is what makes them stick like any show. What I sometimes find confusing is that it seems like a lot of names can be a boy or a girls name. That happens with English names, but it seems more frequent with Japanese names from what I've seen in anime.
Jun 9, 2012 3:24 PM

Dec 2010
Sometimes.. but honestly it's hard to say if it's any more or less significant than what I experience on a day to day basis trying to remember peoples names ._.
Jun 9, 2012 3:24 PM

Jan 2010
I'm generally bad with names as is. Thankfully, anime characters in a series tend to be different enough to tell part just by appearance. As for pronouncing names, I'm usually okay with that.
Jun 9, 2012 4:05 PM

Jun 2008
After this many years, not anymore actually! It'll take me a few episodes of course!
Jun 9, 2012 5:02 PM
Jun 2011
No.

Especially since reading it in subs should help people memorize it.

Maybe if I watch a dub, since the pronunciation can be bad so I don't know what they said...
Jun 9, 2012 5:04 PM
Feb 2012
yeah if they are long, it took me forever to remember sakakibara from another
Jun 9, 2012 7:47 PM

Jul 2009
I don't usually have problem with japanese names, because I like Japanese a lot and I have quite a good memory for names generally...but there are still troublesome names like Ling Yin Huang and Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière...
so I would say, the less it sounds japanese, the worse for me to remember xD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

27 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by BatoKusanagi »»
22 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

48 by BatoKusanagi »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.