Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2007 4:28 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
oooo very positive story turn + i really loved the nature landscapes in this ep.
even without action this anime is still top quality...
now i cant wait to see more about Balsa's past >.<
Sep 3, 2007 10:30 AM

Apr 2007
ashura said:
oooo very positive story turn + i really loved the nature landscapes in this ep.
even without action this anime is still top quality...
now i cant wait to see more about Balsa's past >.<

I agree totally with what ashura said, about the beautiful landscape eventhough there aren't any fighting/action scenes. looks like Balsa's past is quite a sad one.
Sep 3, 2007 11:35 AM

Jan 2007
This episode was great. It nice to see that everyone is on the same page now. I'm usually not one for backstories but i really cant wait to see the next episode.
Sep 3, 2007 5:28 PM

Jun 2007
I've been wondering and waiting to hear about Balsa's past. Only a few snippets were revealed. Finally and we'll also get some action next episode.

Sep 3, 2007 9:19 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Decent ep. I kept thinking that chagum was going to vomit or something while gutting the fish/deer. I thought for sure he was going to be like, "THIS IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME ISN"T IT?! AHHHH!"

Hehe.
Sep 3, 2007 10:59 PM

Apr 2007
Xinil said:
"THIS IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME ISN"T IT?! AHHHH!"

hahah, nice Imagination Xin ^_~
Sep 4, 2007 11:53 AM

Oct 2006
It still amazes me how this anime shows slice's of the characters daily life in a slow pacing, and it never fells boring. On the contrary.
I liked the episode, and since I like seeing backstories I can't wait to see Balsa's.
Dec 18, 2008 11:37 AM

Apr 2008
Great episode, I need to know more about balsa's past.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jan 14, 2009 5:29 AM

Jul 2008
The episode was again intriguing, its a shame though that the hunters did all that tracking and weren't able to wield their claws.
Apr 7, 2009 3:07 PM

Feb 2009
Jeez that old lady sure can bluff! Damn I never gutted any animal in my life, I don't think I would be able to even if its already dead.
Jun 22, 2009 2:17 AM

Nov 2007
lol, they cut off the story at the awesome point, but I'm looking forward to Balsa's story a lot ^_^
Aug 1, 2009 2:33 PM

Jun 2008
Hope Balsa's past is actually good.
Oct 11, 2009 12:34 PM
Apr 2009
The scene when Balsa, Chagum and the girl returned to the village was brilliant. They managed to convey so much without any of the characters saying anything.

Such an anime.

Also, I didn't really notice until a couple episodes ago, is the egg shown just before the break taking on a more definitive shape each episode?
K-NushiOct 11, 2009 12:55 PM
Oct 21, 2009 1:53 AM

Mar 2008
K-Nushi said:
The scene when Balsa, Chagum and the girl returned to the village was brilliant. They managed to convey so much without any of the characters saying anything.

Such an anime.

Also, I didn't really notice until a couple episodes ago, is the egg shown just before the break taking on a more definitive shape each episode?

How did you get Moribito Volume 6 (Episodes 18-20) 2 days before the street release date?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Nov 7, 2009 5:28 PM

Aug 2008
Xinil said:
Decent ep. I kept thinking that chagum was going to vomit or something while gutting the fish/deer.

Hehe.

I thought I was gonna vomit lol
Mar 30, 2010 12:01 AM

Sep 2008
Gyah, I both loved and hated this episode! XD

I hated it because they were FINALLY going to tell us Balsa's backstory from her own perspective with far more detail as to WHY she was almost killed and then the episode ends. The next one better continue where this one left off or I'm going to be really pissed.

I loved it for lots of reasons. It's so calm and sedate for most of the episode and yet it never bored me. Balsa was still rough with Chagum, but at this point I think it's what he needs. He needs to know that he's contributing to their survival. Needs to stay too busy to dwell on thoughts of his death... And like her mentor, Balsa becomes gentle when she needs to out of concern for his wounds. :P She's really trying to be a good mother as best she knows how.

Second part I loved - Torogai talked down Shuga and the hunters and made them go back to finish deciphering the epitaphs... IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME! Man that has been making me mad. Shuga kept reading pieces and then trying to act on it without having the whole story. Everything that has gone wrong on the palace's end of the spectrum can be traced back to the arrogant star readers not actually knowing truth despite the fact that it's been under their feet the entire time.

Oh and I liked how he went to Gakai and begged for his help. I still don't like Gakai very much - he was a bit too full of himself... obsessed with his power and position (as can still be seen by his comments to Shuga about their level) and yet Shuga humbles himself to ask for help in an area that he has proven to be decidely lacking. (Hurray for Torogai's tongue-lashing - You had something that important and you haven't read it all? Idiots XD) It'll be nice to see Sagum's wish fulfilled and Gakai working side by side with Shuga.

(and I meant to mention it in the last episode discussion, but Torogai and the others needn't worry about the Nahji who will carry the egg away after Rarunga rips it from Chagum - isn't the bird that Sagum nurtured a Nahji? Somehow I doubt it's a coincidence that such a rare bird wound up staying so near the Guardian when it could have flown away at any time.)

Oh and the bit with the girl was well done - not a word spoken with they returned to the village, but the animation still told a pretty detailed story. Nice. And another nod to the art because of the scenery. Absolutely beautiful. The fall leaves, the dusting of snow, and such a cool place to live! I love the Hunter's Hole. ^_^

man, I both love and hate the fact that there are only 6 eps left. I want some resolution to Chagum's story, but I'm afraid that Balsa is going to die saving him... and if she doesn't and he lives, then we'll still have to deal with the sadness of her giving him back to Shin-Yogo. They do need their prince afterall and his parents will definitely want him back. I know he'll be happy and it's what will be best for their nation, but I want Balsa to have a family! It sucks to be all alone.
Jun 10, 2010 11:11 PM
Feb 2008
Interesting episode

Lot of nice landscape shots and Hunter's Cave is neat little hideaway. Show is pretty keen with the details. Makes me want to check the book

Looking forward to finding out about Jiguro.
Aug 3, 2010 2:53 AM

Jun 2009
Was that a big lie?? so a battle wouldn't occur for awhile until the day of celebration

The art and animation was amazing, I like how they prepare for winter - hunting, fishing, gathering foods.

Now, Jigoru will be next topic
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Sep 2, 2010 12:32 PM

Sep 2008
This show never disappoints. Yet another excellent episode.

Gorgeous landscape shots indeed, and lovely animation... and yes, like everyone has said, despite the fact that there is very little action, it never gets boring. Probably because there's always progression in the story...

And Torogai is awesome still. :D Heh. Wanted to cheer her on when she was lecturing the hunters and Shuga, haha.

K-Nushi said:

Agreed! I was impressed. Successful use of only visuals to convey what was happening.
Sep 3, 2010 12:03 PM

May 2010
I am glad Chagum and Balsa are getting along better now. I love how the Madam Torogai shoos Shuga off.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 3, 2010 10:41 PM

Oct 2010
Aaah, what can I say that hasn't been already said? This is the consequence of being 3 years late, isn't it?

Again, that dialogueless scene after they returned was awesome. Those skies, that sun, those snows and rocks and waterfall, they are just awesome. The winter preparation (one of the most memorable scenes for me,) was awesome.

This anime touches something spiritual inside me too, you know. It's hard to explain but because it's set in a beautiful earth, where they were not living their lives off by the things people have made, a complete contrary with the reality today, it provokes some weird emotions that can't be exactly shaken off.

@K-Nushi: And yes, the egg is progressing each episode. It's a really interesting thing to watch btw. Since the 3rd episode I gave it my full attention; they even bothered to make the cells look separated in the beginning, taking the shape of a fish embryo and get bigger in time.
fianeNov 3, 2010 10:46 PM
Mar 16, 2011 7:59 AM

Apr 2009
fiane said:
Aaah, what can I say that hasn't been already said? This is the consequence of being 3 years late, isn't it?

Your not the only one, same crappy late feelings here. :( But at least we still got to enjoy this awesome series, eh? XD

@K-Nushi: And yes, the egg is progressing each episode. It's a really interesting thing to watch btw. Since the 3rd episode I gave it my full attention; they even bothered to make the cells look separated in the beginning, taking the shape of a fish embryo and get bigger in time.

I noticed it a couple of episode back since it was twitching while the egg was rotating, I had to review the past episodes before that to see it develop from mitosis to the embryo stage.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 8, 2012 8:44 PM

Aug 2010
Oh god next episode we get to see loli Balsa

HNNNNNGGGG YES
Oct 18, 2012 10:01 PM

Nov 2011
Time for a history lesson of Balsa! Can't wait to see her backstory more.
Jun 29, 2013 2:15 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow I'm liking how things turned out between the hunters and Torogai. Although this came first, it reminds me a lot of Higashi no Eden, where there's no big bad and it's just people working towards the same goal.

Poor Chagum though, it's as Torogai said, he's someone who's accepted his fate. However, it's nice to see him still trying to learn and endure Balsa'a training. Gutting animals D: I would probably throw up. But if Chagum does end up living, then all of this experience I think would be helpful to him the next ruler.

And finally we are going to get Balsa's backstory! It's about time we get to see Jiguro. After all, he's pretty large in the picture on it's MAL profile.
Feb 15, 2014 11:41 PM

Nov 2009
Next episode seems to be a flash back . . . however I am actually looking forward to it, really curious about Jiguro and Balsa's past (especially why she was going to be killed when she was six)
Aug 17, 2014 3:35 AM

Sep 2012
Remember the Black-Smith's story what was similar to Balsa's current life? before i thought that it was it Was Balsa he talked about, who saved a kid, new i think Balsa was the politicians kid in hes story & her step father the guy who saved the kid, so she dose for prince what her father did to her
Nov 13, 2014 7:07 PM

Apr 2013
The two opposing sides talking rationally, working a plan out together and not trying to kill each other? Blasphemy!!
Jan 15, 2015 11:28 PM

Jan 2013
No conflict, im surprised it worked out that smoothly. Great bonding in the end.
Feb 19, 2015 9:18 AM

Jul 2013
deanzel said:
The two opposing sides talking rationally, working a plan out together and not trying to kill each other? Blasphemy!!
LOL
Now this is what you call a group rational ,mature people who can put aside their petty grudges and work together for the common good.
Nice to see Chagum's doing a lot better.
I can't wait to her Balsa's story,maybe it could inspire Chagum.
Mar 17, 2015 11:56 PM

Nov 2013
Ever since Chagum learned about the egg-eater, he's never smiled. Hopefully Balsa can change that.

I expect the action to begin once again in episode 22 because there's not much they can do when boarded up in a cave. That is, unless we get an episode dedicated to Shuga.

Looks like we're finally going to learn more about Balsa's past and Jiguro next episode!

Pretty good episode.

7/10
FunnyRatmanMar 18, 2015 12:00 AM

Sep 27, 2015 3:01 AM

Mar 2012
I can't stand how these guys keep trying to forcefully take Chagum back and say that he'll be safer with them when they were trying to get him killed in the first place......

Looks like we'll finally be able to learn more about Balsa and her deceased caretaker's past.
Mar 9, 2016 11:41 PM

Mar 2010
Aaah, finally Balsa's past is going to be revealed! It's such a damn shame I don't have the time to watch it right now since I have to go to school soon.

And I really like the way the situation with the hunters was resolved.
Aug 19, 2017 4:31 PM
Nov 2010
I'm not quite sure if "Can you tell me his story?" is quite what Chagum should've asked there. It should've been more about how Balsa was saved first and then that'd have made him more interested in Jiguro.
Sep 27, 2018 10:28 AM

Sep 2011
Another great episode, Torogai was really brave facing Shuga, and the hunters pretty much on her own. She solved the matter in a pacific way, without dragging Balsa, Chagum or the village itself into a battle. Sure, she bluffed a bit, but she was mostly sincere with what she said, she bought time until the fateful day in spring, and now they know about the secret tome, and that some hope may come forth of it. And I think I missed this when it happened, but I guess the reason they tried to kill Torogai in the first place was because she knew about Chagum's condition thanks to the letter the Empress, and Shuga sent.

And well, Chagum is trying to deal with this fate, to sort his feelings, and also to know more about Balsa. I'm glad we're finally getting to know about her past, and Jiguro, I can't wait!
Sep 14, 2019 5:02 AM

May 2015
Good old flashbacks are cumming.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 21, 2021 6:12 PM

Jul 2017
Another really great episode as a whole, but more of a setup of what looks to be one of the most interesting and anticipated episodes in the entire show so far.

Shuga was a centerpiece in this episode, as he and Torogai both finally got to converse about the situation at hand and while Shuga could easily take down everyone in the village for refusing to hand over Chagum to him and the palace, he realizes about how Torogai is far more knowledgable about the situation than he is, and how Chagum is in safer hands with Balsa currently at this very point. So he decides to go back to the palace and do his best to study up on the epitaphs as much as possible and decipher as much as possible, anything that would help the Prince give hints on how to tackle the situation with the egg and help him survive in the long run. He is a man of science and Torogai convinced him to do more research before he makes pre-emptive decisions beforehand and screw themselves in the long run due to trying to take the Prince too early. Especially considering that the soldiers would mostly be useless against invisible monsters who could easily take down the prince without their knowledge, so its best for him to study and prepare in the mean time before they meet up with Torogai, Balsa and the Prince again.

Finally, the scene where Balsa took Chagum’s chapped hands in her own and gently applied Tanda’s salve to them, much as Jiguro had done with her back in the day, was really sweet and touching. These two warriors from different generations who were tough, beaten-down, and tasked with the emotional care of a child they never asked to care for, found it possible to express their feelings in this silent way when they cannot with words. The love that was borne of subtle affection which Jiguro shared with Balsa, and now she passed on to Chagum in the shadow of his grave makes the whole scene really touching, beautiful and powerful in a very sad and profound way that is truly fitting of the show. Reminded me of how organic these kinds of scenes were with its subtlety and tranquil nature, compared to how most other anime would handled scenes like it and have barely any impact in comparison on an emotional and cognitive basis.

And the fact that Chagum would get to learn of Balsa's roots in the next episode only just deepens the whole bond that these two have, hopefully showcasing to Chagum why Balsa is the way she is and why she decided to be a bodyguard in the first place. It would help in him emotionally understanding her position in the process.
Sep 7, 2023 6:22 PM
Oct 2021
This show could probably pass as a slice of life and no one would complain, it'd be totally worth it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.