Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

So you accidentally see a spoiler
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Casual Discussion »» So you accidentally see a spoiler

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
05-29-12, 8:07 AM

Spoilers are the worse and usually impossible to forget -.-

05-29-12, 8:18 AM

I guess I'm in the minority, because I can forget about one third of the spoilers I see or hear. If you try to forget a spoiler, you'll just ingrain it deeper into your conscious mind, so the key is to pretend that what you saw or heard wasn't even a spoiler or a "big deal."

Then just go about your day normally, as though nothing significant happened. If you're lucky, you can even watch an episode of the spoiled series immediately afterward, which will actually help clear the spoiler from your mind if the object of the spoiler doesn't appear in that episode (e.g. you read that Character X dies, then watch a new episode in which Character X doesn't happen to appear, which will help your conscious mind focus on the non-Character X aspects of the series).

05-29-12, 8:32 AM

I cannot forget them unless it spoiled an anime which I don't plan to watch yet.

Also I think people shouldn't spoil anything at all in the episode discussions or in thread titles, not even with spoiler tags. It's just stupid.

05-29-12, 8:52 AM

I actually do forget spoilers sometimes. Before I started a few series' I read a few reviews/discussions of them that usually contained spoilers. But when I started watching it I completely forgot.

One Piece for example

05-29-12, 8:55 AM

Doing another thing: read, play with my dog or play games in my computer.

05-29-12, 9:01 AM

I don't try to forget spoilers.
But for me, it brings up several questions that I'm interested to find out about still.

Say for instance I see that someone has died in a series I like. Sure i'll be like "Jeez! Spoilers! Why would you say that!!"
But at the same time I'll be curious of how they died or what lead up to that point. So there is still more to find out! Rather than just rage at my computer and stop watching or reading, I'll have more questions buzzing around in my head waiting to be answered.

05-29-12, 9:37 AM

You don't usually forget spoilers, as it can make you mad.
Motorhead fan? Join: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=40023

Credit to Devilman01

05-29-12, 9:43 AM

I can't forget them,watched HP almost 7 months after Annoying Orange made that parody,and didn't forget it D:
Modified by Kvakond, 05-30-12, 9:21 AM

05-29-12, 9:48 AM

KuroiRider said:
How do you make yourself forget it?

I put off watching that anime for awhile.After watching 3 or 4 other anime I will general forget about the spoilers.

05-29-12, 9:54 AM

The only time I can forget spoilers is if it's from a show I don't watch. When I think it is an important spoiler I take a break from the anime in order to let the spoil-rage pass and then try to watch the spoiled part as quickly as possible so that I have something new, unspoiled to look forward to.

05-29-12, 10:05 AM

if its a serious spoiler then you are SOL.

its like when people see a dont push button.. they gotta push it because they dont have enough self control. its very tempting.

05-29-12, 10:21 AM

I have to read spoilers before I start a show. While I am watching the show I have a list of all the episodes up on my Kindle so I know for the most part whats going to happen. If I don't I can't focus on the show itself.

05-29-12, 10:40 AM

Blunt force trauma on yourself might help. Well there are probably better ways to forget spoilers as well.

05-29-12, 10:52 AM

I never really did mind spoilers. It actually gets my imagination running wild and expecting great things. At times what I imagine is a bit over the top so it makes the impact of the original much less, but I still don't get bothered by it.

I guess I'm in the minority in this case. I have even read ahead in some cases just to know what happens, and to see if it gets more interesting or just gets dull or stays dull. I think it helps me figure out whether I should spend my time on the particular story or not.

05-29-12, 10:54 AM

It would be so awesome if you could get parts of your memory erased (like in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) to forget spoilers.

05-29-12, 10:58 AM

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD T.T
I see dead people.

05-29-12, 11:36 AM

If I read it once, I just avoid thinking about it, listen to music, watch a movie, sleep, or so on. It's a lot easier to forget spoilers if you've just started the series, I think, if the spoiler involves names. It takes me a while to remember names, so it works for me.

I'm a forgetful person in general, so I'm not TOO bad with spoilers. But I really do hate them. This doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but it reminded me of this. A couple of years ago when we were reading To Kill a Mockingbird in class, my teacher failed someone on the entire book because he was going around telling everyone how it ended. She was my all time favorite teacher.

05-29-12, 11:51 AM

Ryatt said:
I never really did mind spoilers. It actually gets my imagination running wild and expecting great things. At times what I imagine is a bit over the top so it makes the impact of the original much less, but I still don't get bothered by it.

I guess I'm in the minority in this case. I have even read ahead in some cases just to know what happens, and to see if it gets more interesting or just gets dull or stays dull. I think it helps me figure out whether I should spend my time on the particular story or not.
There is a study that suggests that spoilers are not as bad as they seem in terms of "ruining" the experience. For some, spoilers might even enhance the experience. They couldn't really give a "why" explanation for their results though so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

05-29-12, 12:02 PM

Xjellocross said:
There is a study that suggests that spoilers are not as bad as they seem in terms of "ruining" the experience. For some, spoilers might even enhance the experience. They couldn't really give a "why" explanation for their results though so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'd agree though. I've never had my experience ruined by a spoiler.

05-29-12, 12:03 PM

Impossible for me -_-

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices